PDA

View Full Version : Declan Devine gone

DCSIL
22/04/2021, 8:04 AM
Just announced in brief statement from the Derry Chairman.

D24Saint
22/04/2021, 9:21 AM
Not surprising with the start Derry has had. Who would be in for the job ?

lofty9
22/04/2021, 9:32 AM
No idea who would take it. I'd love Higgsy to get it as he's always been in the running and over looked.

I genuinely believe this to be by mutual consent though. I know Declan was exasperated with lack of his own coaches around him and with the director of whatever he is moving further away from the dug out each week but relaying messages to the bench via the fitness coachsomething had to give.

D24Saint
22/04/2021, 9:45 AM
I wonder will Perth put his hat in the ring.

lofty9
22/04/2021, 9:48 AM
I wonder will Perth put his hat in the ring.

He can but the Derry men in Dundalk have already told us what they think of him :)

joey B
22/04/2021, 10:07 AM
No idea who would take it. I'd love Higgsy to get it as he's always been in the running and over looked.

I genuinely believe this to be by mutual consent though. I know Declan was exasperated with lack of his own coaches around him and with the director of whatever he is moving further away from the dug out each week but relaying messages to the bench via the fitness coachsomething had to give.

Was McCourt recruiting the players by himself Lofty? Just seeing Devines comment's from the other night about the signings from last season doing nothing and wishing he'd played the young fellas...

Mr A
22/04/2021, 10:40 AM
Time for the return of Roddy.

Brusher
22/04/2021, 10:41 AM
I thought he was doing a decent enough job ..yes of course they're bottom, but I was quite impressed with their performance against Drogheda, some decent ball played and then to draw with Dundalk showed signs that things were slowly coming good. Always liked listening to Declan too, found him a straight up no bs kind of guy.

lofty9
22/04/2021, 10:44 AM
Was McCourt recruiting the players by himself Lofty? Just seeing Devines comment's from the other night about the signings from last season doing nothing and wishing he'd played the young fellas...

Yes. Im hearing they've already an FAI employee lined up, Higgsy will still be at Harps.

DCWA
22/04/2021, 10:47 AM
Long overdue. Shouldn’t have even been in charge this year. Interesting appointment this next one.

EatYerGreens
22/04/2021, 11:39 AM
Time for the return of Roddy.

2020 would have been the year for that.

sbgawa
22/04/2021, 11:45 AM
Wouldnt it be great to see Roddy back.
Its kind of like the way you would miss Donald Trump for the entertainment factor.
I mean yes Biden is less likely to nuke someone because they unfollowed him on twitter but he doesnt have the X factor does he.
Roddy for DFC or Derry city

Nesta99
22/04/2021, 11:55 AM
Yes. Im hearing they've already an FAI employee lined up, Higgsy will still be at Harps.

If it is Ruaidhri Higgins it will be a major coup for Derry. I'd have him in at Dundalk as young, talented and highly rated coach.

MattB11
22/04/2021, 12:24 PM
Sheedy and Newell sacked today too apparently

DCSIL
22/04/2021, 12:29 PM
Wouldnt it be great to see Roddy back.
Its kind of like the way you would miss Donald Trump for the entertainment factor.
I mean yes Biden is less likely to nuke someone because they unfollowed him on twitter but he doesnt have the X factor does he.
Roddy for DFC or Derry city

When Stephen Kenny gets the boot from the Ireland job, to be replaced by Ollie Horgan, Stephen heads back to Oriel and Roddy to Finn Park.
It’s like the stars aligning.

pineapple stu
22/04/2021, 12:45 PM
That's bizarre stuff. If you sack a manager after 6 games, you have to look at who appointed the manager in the first place.

brendy_éire
22/04/2021, 12:46 PM
If it is Ruaidhri Higgins it will be a major coup for Derry. I'd have him in at Dundalk as young, talented and highly rated coach.

He'd be a great signing for either club.

Paul Hegarty is another candidate, who you'd guess would be willing to leave Harps for a 2.5 year contract. Wouldn't mind him either, I'd be confident of him keeping us up.

Sad to see Decky go, but it almost felt inevitable. He's such a fan of the club, and lived and breathed every moment when he was on the touchline. The results just weren't there, unfortunately, and regardless of who made the call, the signings last year were dreadful.

sbgawa
22/04/2021, 1:01 PM

I'd say they walked,
It would be bizarre to be sacking them now after 6 games when they were still knitting the squad together the week before kick off.

If i had to guess promises made about money for signings in July not happening, with Pats Sligo looking good and DFC will get it together Europe must look like a pipe dream to Mr Moneybags

D24Saint
22/04/2021, 1:12 PM

Looked a pair of chancers. What happened to that chap Rocket that was in charge last year. Was he overlooked for the job or wasn't interested.

Longfordian
22/04/2021, 1:36 PM
Apparently they haven't been sacked. They just walked out of training after a row. Seems like a very happy camp down there. Hopefully we can add to their troubles.

Nesta99
22/04/2021, 4:04 PM

Pineapple Stu hexed them in the match day thread!

Jack B
22/04/2021, 4:08 PM
That's each manager of the last three sides we've played either gone or just about in Sheedy's case.

The clock ticks for Ollie Horgan.

DCWA
22/04/2021, 4:18 PM
Derry to announce new manager tomorrow morning by the looks of it.

EalingGreen
22/04/2021, 4:23 PM
Long overdue. Shouldn’t have even been in charge this year. Interesting appointment this next one.
It probably just the usual uninformed speculation, but according to the BBC:

"Those already being linked with the job include former Derry City player Ruaidhrí Higgins who is part of the backroom staff of Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny, Cliftonville manager Paddy McLaughlin and Finn Harps assistant boss Paul Hegarty, who had a stint as caretaker boss of the Candystripes in 2015."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56779100

P.S. And I hope this doesn't derail the thread, how has Gartside been doing between the sticks?

lofty9
22/04/2021, 5:14 PM

"Those already being linked with the job include former Derry City player Ruaidhrí Higgins who is part of the backroom staff of Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny, Cliftonville manager Paddy McLaughlin and Finn Harps assistant boss Paul Hegarty, who had a stint as caretaker boss of the Candystripes in 2015."

P.S. And I hope this doesn't derail the thread, how has Gartside been doing between the sticks?

On Gartside, he was very poor in the first few games and excellent in last two, mixed bag to date. He just needs game time, and hopefully he’ll be our keeper for many a year to come.

DCWA
22/04/2021, 5:59 PM

Paddy McLaughlin and Paul Hegarty please no.

Jim McGuinness has also been mentioned locally as has Paddy McCourt stepping into that role.

Higgins looks the most exciting option, the realist in me says he would be absolutely mad to leave the chief scout role he holds with Ithe FAI for the Derry job though.

Agree with the poster above on Gartside. First season of actually starting regularly so hopefully comes on plenty for every passing few games.

Nesta99
22/04/2021, 6:31 PM
Id be well annoyed if Derry got a run on Dundalk and appointed Higgins. I have a few favoured candidates and Higgins would have been top 2 or 3 but never thought he'd leave the RoI set-up yet. Maybe he'd be too pally with a lot of the squad at Oriel!? He is one chap I can see getting Derry retaining talent and for some Derry lads to head home:(

Martinho II
22/04/2021, 7:35 PM
From chatting to a close pal I hear Jim McGuinness is a strong contender for Derry City job. Cant see Higgins leave SK backroom staff at all now!

DCWA
22/04/2021, 8:23 PM
Word is Higgins will be confirmed and announced with Raf Cretaro as part of backroom team.

pineapple stu
23/04/2021, 7:53 AM
Higgins confirmed now (https://www.todayfm.com/sport/higgins-leaves-kennys-side-to-become-new-derry-city-boss-1184417). Another departure from the national setup too.

Nesta99
23/04/2021, 8:02 AM
Higgins confirmed now (https://www.todayfm.com/sport/higgins-leaves-kennys-side-to-become-new-derry-city-boss-1184417). Another departure from the national setup too.

Good news for Derry! Not too positive looking for the national setup at all. Ye have to wonder what surprise Dundalk have in store for us as Higgins could be a missed opportunity and he could hold sway with the like of Duffy come November's contract wranglings.

sulywaterfordfc
23/04/2021, 9:08 AM
Looked a pair of chancers. What happened to that chap Rocket that was in charge last year. Was he overlooked for the job or wasn't interested.

Franny didn’t have the pro licence to be the stand alone manager. It’s an absolute sham Franny was left out in the cold by Rub. Fantastic young coach and a great guy. He’d be a great addition to any club. Personally I think Franny should be head of the Waterford Academy.

redobit
23/04/2021, 10:56 AM
Was hoping he last at least for the game in the Showgies tomorrow night. New manager boost and all that.

yurt
23/04/2021, 1:41 PM
Impressive acquisition by Derry. I'm assuming that he must have taken a decent pay cut leaving the national set up. Or am I still somehow giving the FAI's finances too much credit?

Was really hoping there was something to the Jim Mcguiness link. While he hasn't really shown anything as of yet that means he deserves a chance I would be interested to see how he gets on. A successful Jim Mcguiness in the LOI would pique the interest of any sports fan in the country.

My interests aside, that's good work from the Derry board.

brendy_éire
23/04/2021, 1:56 PM
Impressive acquisition by Derry. I'm assuming that he must have taken a decent pay cut leaving the national set up. Or am I still somehow giving the FAI's finances too much credit?

He'd be similar enough money at Derry now. The 3.5 year deal probably sounded attractive.

Happy with that signing. Higgins is highly rated by Stephen Kenny and several ex-players. He has plenty of experience under Kenny and Perth.
Good to have Cretaro on board as well. Hated him playing against us, he was infuriatingly good at disrupting a match, winning a foul, controlling the pace. Hopefully he'll bring that to our squad, who are lacking that type of experience.

EatYerGreens
23/04/2021, 2:39 PM

Was really hoping there was something to the Jim Mcguiness link. While he hasn't really shown anything as of yet that means he deserves a chance I would be interested to see how he gets on. A successful Jim Mcguiness in the LOI would pique the interest of any sports fan in the country.

My interests aside, that's good work from the Derry board.

Presumably 3.5 years at Derry felt a lot more secure than the current role at the FAI, which is surely under a considerable amount of pressure already post-Luxembourg.

Re McGuinness - selecting someone who has never actually been the main manager of a football club and who's area of expertise is in a completely different sport would certainly be an interesting tactic by a large Premier Division club facing relegation. And probably not a wise one. If McGuinness wants to get into football management he's realistically probably going to have to start in the FD and show that he can actually do the job first.

joey B
23/04/2021, 2:49 PM
McGuinness was manager at Charlotte Independence albeit for a short time just for the record.....

Martinho II
23/04/2021, 8:15 PM
I had to do a double check when I seen Raf Cretaro in Brandywell on BBC NI news Im intrigued in how he knows Ruairi Higgins as to best of my knowledge they were never teammates or did they play together at Bohs ?

nigel-harps1954
23/04/2021, 9:23 PM
Presumably 3.5 years at Derry felt a lot more secure than the current role at the FAI, which is surely under a considerable amount of pressure already post-Luxembourg.

Re McGuinness - selecting someone who has never actually been the main manager of a football club and who's area of expertise is in a completely different sport would certainly be an interesting tactic by a large Premier Division club facing relegation. And probably not a wise one. If McGuinness wants to get into football management he's realistically probably going to have to start in the FD and show that he can actually do the job first.

Neither Higgins or Cretaro have managed a club either. Neither have a lot of coaching experience either, to be fair.

McGuinness is probably more experienced than both, even if he hasn't been too successful.

Charlie Darwin
23/04/2021, 11:31 PM
I had to do a double check when I seen Raf Cretaro in Brandywell on BBC NI news Im intrigued in how he knows Ruairi Higgins as to best of my knowledge they were never teammates or did they play together at Bohs ?
Yeah they were both at Bohs the same season

EatYerGreens
24/04/2021, 2:04 AM
McGuinness was manager at Charlotte Independence albeit for a short time just for the record.....

He lasted 6 months of a 3yr contract before getting sacked with only 1 win in 14. In the US's second tier. And hasn't had a job in football since. In fact - I don't believe he's had any job in sport for almost 2 years now ?

All of which pretty much proves the point.

EatYerGreens
24/04/2021, 2:06 AM
Neither Higgins or Cretaro have managed a club either. Neither have a lot of coaching experience either, to be fair.

McGuinness is probably more experienced than both, even if he hasn't been too successful.

At least Higgins and Cretaro have spent their careers in the sport that they're now managing in.

nigel-harps1954
24/04/2021, 11:08 PM
At least Higgins and Cretaro have spent their careers in the sport that they're now managing in.

McGuinness has long been involved in football too though, to be fair. He was at Harps and Derry previously and has long involvement in the game at junior level.

Martinho II
25/04/2021, 3:03 PM
McGuinness has long been involved in football too though, to be fair. He was at Harps and Derry previously and has long involvement in the game at junior level.

Who did McGuinness play for at junior level Nigel before? Oh by the way great catching up with ya at bishopsgate socially distanced of course.

EatYerGreens
25/04/2021, 4:08 PM

Ah come on. You can't compare any of that with being a manager at a senior football club in the top tier of a national league. I worked in a corner shop when I was a student. That doesn't make me qualified to run Tesco's.

nigel-harps1954
26/04/2021, 3:25 PM
Ah come on. You can't compare any of that with being a manager at a senior football club in the top tier of a national league. I worked in a corner shop when I was a student. That doesn't make me qualified to run Tesco's.

Never suggested as much. Just clarifying that McGuinness does have a background involvement with football. Has spent time at Harps and Derry as fitness coach (as far as I'm aware) in the past, has spent time at Celtic, in the Chinese Super League, and USL Championship in America.

Just because Cretaro and Higgins played the game professionally, it doesn't make them automatically more qualified.

Many a lad has worked at the corner shop and gone on to be a manager of a Tesco.

EatYerGreens
26/04/2021, 5:09 PM
Never suggested as much. Just clarifying that McGuinness does have a background involvement with football. Has spent time at Harps and Derry as fitness coach (as far as I'm aware) in the past, has spent time at Celtic, in the Chinese Super League, and USL Championship in America.

A fitness coach ? That's nowhere near the same as a manager.

Just because Cretaro and Higgins played the game professionally, it doesn't make them automatically more qualified.

By any objective measure - someone who has played a sport to a higher level is always going to be in a better position to advise on that sport that someone who didn't, and instead played a completely different sport. It's crazy to claim that McGuinness is no less qualified than Higgins, who has played the game professionally his adult life and was also just involved in an international set up too.

Many a lad has worked at the corner shop and gone on to be a manager of a Tesco.

True to an extent (I wouldn't say it's 'many'). But the vast, vast majority don't. The percentage that do is no doubt miniscule. Out of curiousity - how many people have managed at a high level in football after having had a career almost solely in gaelic games ? I don't mean the like of Martin O'Neill who played a bit of gaelic as a kid and then became a football pro. I mean - how many people have followed the path you're saying Jim Mcguinesses is equally as qualified to take as someone who played football all their life and worked in the international coaching team?

A N Mouse
27/04/2021, 9:18 AM

Let's put it another way.

Ollie steps down at the end of this season, with harps comfortably mid-table. Looking to push on next season with ambitions of European qualification and the replacement candidates are McGuinness, K McHugh, or Higgsy.
Who gets the job? and why?

nigel-harps1954
27/04/2021, 9:21 AM
Let's put it another way.

Ollie steps down at the end of this season, with harps comfortably mid-table. Looking to push on next season with ambitions of European qualification and the replacement candidates are McGuinness, K McHugh, or Higgsy.
Who gets the job? and why?

Presumably whoever gives the best interview.

A N Mouse
27/04/2021, 10:06 AM
Presumably whoever gives the best interview.

I'm not sure Paul McLoone is any more qualified than McGuinness