PDA

View Full Version : Digger gone

superfrank
24/06/2005, 12:43 PM
O'Brien announces Town retirement (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17881)
Who'll replace him?

Pauro 76
24/06/2005, 12:45 PM
Such a shame to see our two most loyal servants out of the club by the end of the season. Vinny of course already gone, and now Digger. Best of luck, but in the meantime have the season of your life to sign off with!
Digger = Legend

:cool:

Maz
25/06/2005, 6:23 AM
Still no harm in paying him a few compliments along the way though.....

RockofGibraltar
25/06/2005, 1:27 PM
Jerzy Dudek to replace Digger

Dillo
25/06/2005, 4:11 PM
What a great servant and a huge personality. Whoever fills the void will have a mammoth task to live up to such a reputation.

Sonic
26/06/2005, 6:10 PM
Was only a matter of time before the bleeding hearts came out !! Look lads - we knew since the start of the season Digger was leaving. He's going. He was a brilliant servant for the Town. He will be replaced. Move on. Move up.

I dont see the harm in honouring a legend of the club.Good Luck digger and thanks for the memories :ball:

Martinho II
26/06/2005, 9:39 PM
noone will ever fit diggers shoes! he is a legend with the city supporters as was seen at the city game when he did his hokey pokey in front of the shed!

observer
27/06/2005, 12:18 PM
Lovely fellow, great service to Longford his presence had a great deal to do with the club being able to make the steo up to the senior level.
Best of luck Digger! :D :D

Bosco
27/06/2005, 12:42 PM
Lads he's not gone yet,whats with all the tributes.We all knew this was his last season.Lets wait till the end to give tributes

the 12 th man
27/06/2005, 12:44 PM
Lads he's not gone yet,whats with all the tributes.We all knew this was his last season.Lets wait till the end to give tributes

digger is doing a lap of honour of all the e/l grounds :cool: :)

Maz
30/10/2005, 5:55 PM
Actually I see Digger is not retiring at all. If you look in last nights programme, Jim wishes him all the best when he moves to Kilkenny City next season.

Cosmo
30/10/2005, 6:04 PM
Actually I see Digger is not retiring at all. If you look in last nights programme, Jim wishes him all the best when he moves to Kilkenny City next season.

Good to see he's staying in the game - pity it'll be in the first division - why the move?

The league needs top characters like him

Maz
30/10/2005, 6:13 PM
Good to see he's staying in the game - pity it'll be in the first division - why the move?

The league needs top characters like him
The piece reads

"As we are all aware Stephen O' Brien declared his intention to retire at the end of this season in the first programme of the year and even though he has advised me since that he does not intend to retire he does intend to join his mate Pat Scully in Kilkenny next season.
Stephen has been a long servant of Longford Town and I would like to wish him the best of luck with Kilkenny. I know that Stephen had a desire to finish this season out with his reputation as a top goalkeeper intact and while this season might not have been his greatest, I have no doubt that we all have great memories of Digger when he was at his best and those memories will stick with us all.
Best of luck Digger."

ccfcgirl
30/10/2005, 8:22 PM
Digger will be missed always good sport at the cross and got on well with City fans ..........

Dyl10
31/10/2005, 1:11 AM
Digger will be missed always good sport at the cross and got on well with City fans ..........

I disregard anything you ever post! you are a fool

Maz
31/10/2005, 6:56 AM
I disregard anything you ever post! you are a fool
That seems eh a bit harsh there Dyl

Dyl10
31/10/2005, 9:42 AM
That seems eh a bit harsh there Dyl

It may seem like that but from my point of view its perfectly justified, But hey the topic is about digger sorry for dragging it off-topic;)

Maz
31/10/2005, 9:46 AM
It may seem like that but from my point of view its perfectly justified, But hey the topic is about digger sorry for dragging it off-topic;)
She paid a compliment to Digger, that was on topic. You have a grievance with the post or the poster? Just seemed a strange little outburst

Dyl10
01/11/2005, 5:55 PM
She paid a compliment to Digger, that was on topic. You have a grievance with the post or the poster? Just seemed a strange little outburst

a problem with the poster

De Town
02/11/2005, 12:33 PM
a problem with the poster
What did she do to you:confused:

sligoman
02/11/2005, 9:58 PM
Claims that Longford Town goalkeeper Stephen O’Brien has already agreed to move to First Division Kilkenny City at the end of the season have been denied by the Cats player-manager Pat Scully.

O’Brien has been one of the top goalkeepers in the league in recent seasons, winning back-to-back FAI Carlsberg Cups and an eircom League Cup winners’ medal with the midlanders.

He revealed earlier this year that he wished to end his eight-year stint at Flancare Park at the end of the season.

The 34-year-old had hinted at retiring from the game altogether, but he has now decided to prolong his career by one more season – but a claim by Kilkenny chairman Jim Rhatigan that he his signature was already signed and sealed has been denied.

Kilkenny boss Scully told the Irish Daily Mirror: “I wish it was true. I know Stephen really well, but I doubt it very much. Wagewise, we’d struggle. I’d really love a player of his calibre at the club but I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19800

themull69
03/11/2005, 9:28 AM
I for one would love to see digger stay on for another season with us. We will have some job replacing him. Total legend.

ccfcman
03/11/2005, 9:31 AM
but you're not for one, everyone wants to see him @ lgford ±_±

Sonic
03/11/2005, 4:50 PM
Great to hear other fans outlining our achievements ................ sligoman can we swap you for sonic et al. ??

in case you hadnt noticed that came from eleven-a-side you fool:mad:

what the hell is your problem. can one not have a difference of opinion or does everyone have to agree with an obnoxious fool like yourself

Sonic
04/11/2005, 12:45 PM
Now all of a sudden, sixteen short weeks later we have some of the most FICKLE fans in the league calling for Matthews' head.

I know nothing about you but i think it calls for me to say copon grow up and start realising that the world doesnt spin to your tune. Im so sorry that we dont all agree with you that alan matthews is a brilliant manager. I think he is a crap manager before anyone else did you as much as anyone knows that. That is my opinion as a fan of the club watching the games week in week out. You have your opinion and i respect it. not agree with it but respect it nonetheless its time you did the same.

joeSoap
04/11/2005, 12:54 PM
he does not intend to retire he does intend to join his mate Pat Scully in Kilkenny next season.I'd say he might go to Kilkenny, but he won't be joining Scully there. I would have Scully down for the Rovers job when it no doubt becomes vacated by that big fat ignorant twerp. Or theres probably going to be a vacancy at Pats too. Given the progress Scullys made from a managerial viewpoint this season, he won't stay long at Kilkenny. Good luck to him.

Bosco
04/11/2005, 2:07 PM
My problem is that four short months ago we were riding the crest of a wave - had wallopped Camarthen at home (oh Jaysis the hangover!), were doing well in the league & were still in ALL competitions.

Now all of a sudden, sixteen short weeks later we have some of the most FICKLE fans in the league calling for Matthews' head. (aping a trait prevalent in the english league. Problem is, we have a totally different set of circumstances here. Even more importantly, we are doing well in the league all things considered !)

Stop repeating yourself and just accept that other people have a different opinion then you.People wanting matthews is not just because of our current form.For christs sake even fans from other clubs have been calling for him to be sacked for months

Bosco
04/11/2005, 4:35 PM
Cop on,the point is that you still wont admit that matthews is and has been disliked for a long time.I only mentioned other clubs as another example of him being disliked

Bosco
05/11/2005, 12:16 AM
Was he disliked even on the 14th of July when we had beaten Camarthen off the park and were still in ALL competitions ?Yes he was.I know this because i have spent soo much time in the past defending him.

If so, when did this disaffection start ?
Not sure,hard to tell.But as i said on another post,there was a large number of people in vaduz who were very unhappy about his management,so around a month or two before that i suppose.
Alot of people were also upset at the way he distanced himself from the fans in the bar in vaduz after the game.
His tactics are obviously something to give out about and this has probably been the reason fans of other clubs dislike him.When things are not going our way he never seems to have the answer to changing it,can you remember any games under him were we have come back from atleast a goal down to win it?His plan is to keep it tight at the back and maybe nick a goal or 2,defence is the most important thing and this is the reason we have done soo well in the cup,some even say he was "lucky" in winning certain cups.Also his use of subs,he aways seems to bring them on with3 or 4 minutes to go,hardly enough to make an impact.
His man management has been questionable in the way he has fallen out with soo many players.Observers post in another thread says it all on this subject regarding adrian murphy.He is unwilling to try out new young players.
Maybe someone like sonic could add some points to this as i was always a suuporter of alan.

Did it start between when we won the cup last November and July 14th ? Allready answered NO.

Or, was he disliked even after we had won the cup ?? Yes,but i would imagine that the critics would find it hard to criticise at such a time

(I am not arguing with you at all. I am merely trying to get my head around this. From what I can make out, you are telling me Matthews was disliked - and that's putting it mildly - even when we were winning cups ?? Am I hearing you right ??)
Thats what im saying.It seemed as do you were just ignoring the fact that he was disliked,but maybe you were just unaware which seems unusual to me anyway

Xlex
05/11/2005, 7:19 PM
I have alot in agreement with Bosco. Alot of people, media and public, dislike the fact that he wasn't as public friendly as Kenny.

Maz
05/11/2005, 8:13 PM
I have alot in agreement with Bosco. Alot of people, media and public, dislike the fact that he wasn't as public friendly as Kenny.
I have spoken to Alan Matthews and I have always found him to be very friendly after games. I think the problem is the players are more professional and they dont tend to stick around after games to meet supporters and are not always very approachable for the kids who attend games

Sonic
09/11/2005, 10:45 AM
professionals or knobs which is it????????? Id suggest its the latter.;)