PDA

View Full Version : Will Shels Progressin CL?

Shelsman
24/06/2005, 12:29 PM
Will Shels get past Glentoran and Steau Bucharest?

pineapple stu
24/06/2005, 12:43 PM
Should get by Glentoran purely because Glens are out of season. But wouldn't be overly surprised if they screwed it up.

Steaua are UEFA Cup quarter-finallists from last year - think that's a step too far. Though the Romanian league is only one place ahead of the Croatian in the UEFA rankings...

Slash/ED
24/06/2005, 12:45 PM
And they'll be out of season, but still, it would be a massive upset if we beat them. We should get to the second round but with the way we're playing and with a derby like atmosphere anything could happen.

pineapple stu
24/06/2005, 12:46 PM
2004/05 season began on the 30th July (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesr/roem05.html) last year - they'll have a game or two under their belts...

Slash/ED
24/06/2005, 12:48 PM
Crap :(

That means they'll be at the same level of fitness roughly as Split, and are a better side you'd imagine, so it will be very very difficult to overcome them if we make it that far.

Rory H
24/06/2005, 12:55 PM
result is pretty clear so far

EnDai
24/06/2005, 9:02 PM
Have to be realistic with Steaua meeting us IF we progress. That said, we proved we can do it, but you can't pin your hopes on it!

steveyg2004
25/06/2005, 10:05 AM
I speak as much in expectation as in hope when I say the Glens will progress to the second round.

Don't know what sort of evil-protestant/satanic-ritual-hoodoo David Jeffrey and his team of miscreants cast on your players back in May, but by hell it is working!

Shelbourne have not only lost their mojo, but also the fear factor, and if Derry City and Linfield can overcome your boys then the Irish League Champions have nothing to fear. :D

In all seriousness lads, Shelbourne are definitely favourites, but I think this game will have a domestic feel about it and should be very close. It all depends on the first leg at the Oval. During the whole of last season we won all but 1 of our 15 home league games, and in all competition we lost just 3 and drew 2 at home. That statistic sounds less impressive until you take into account that 1 of the defeats and 1 of the draws came in the UEFA Cup, with the other defeats coming against Portadown (league) and Linfield (Setanta Cup). We also progressed to the 2nd round of the UEFA Cup last season, beating Alliansi but then getting knocked out by a Swedish side.

;Not quite up there with Shelbourne's heriocs in Europe last season, but one thing you have to remember is that once you become a seed (Shelbourne 1st round), you are in some ways on easy street as the opposition you are up against is much weaker (you have done exceptionally well to earn your seeding tho). Don't underestimate the Irish League Champions lads!

thejollyrodger
25/06/2005, 11:08 AM
i think Shels will be Glentoran no problem but I dont think we will beat the romanian outfit. Were not on the form we were last season.:(

steveyg2004
25/06/2005, 11:38 AM
i think Shels will beat Glentoran no problem

Did you think Shels would beat Linfield 'no problem'? :rolleyes:

A few more comments like that and I can see full well why so many other Eircom fans hate you arrogant Shels fans and your heritage-less club.

Ever gotten to the quarter finals of a European Competition, f*cknuts? ;) :cool:

Plastic Paddy
25/06/2005, 11:42 AM
Did you think Shels would beat Linfield 'no problem'? :rolleyes:

A few more comments like that and I can see full well why so many other Eircom fans hate you arrogant Shels fans and your heritage-less club.

Ever got to the quarter finals of a European Competition, f*cknuts? ;) :cool:

In case you hadn't noticed, it's football and not Top Trumps we're talking about here. :rolleyes:

You'll be judged on the results and, as a neutral where both teams are concerned (and therefore with no axe to grind either way), I predict you'll be on the end of a good thumping. Shels will be three goals clear over the two legs, no problem, current poor form notwithstanding. They'll have the fitness and the match sharpness that Glens won't, and that will really mark out the differences between the teams.

:ball: PP

steveyg2004
25/06/2005, 11:54 AM
In case you hadn't noticed, it's football and not Top Trumps we're talking about here. :rolleyes:

You'll be judged on the results and, as a neutral where both teams are concerned (and therefore with no axe to grind either way), I predict you'll be on the end of a good thumping. Shels will be five goals clear over the two legs, no problem.

How do you square your assessment with Linfield's comfortable 2-0 victory against Shels but weeks ago. It might have escaped your notice fella, but we pipped Linfield to become Champions of our domestic league, I'm sure you will agree that achievement is still superior to winning the Setanta Cup, on both sides of the border ie you weren't even beaten by the best team in Northern Ireland that night.

You are just trying to annoy me now with a prediction of 5-0. Glentoran only get beaten by that sort of score-line against real quality opposition. We usually go out of Europe by a goal or 2. Welsh teams get a thrashing every year, not Irish League teams (they just usually creep out at the 1st round).

I reitterate my previous point - I am starting to dislike Shels fans as they would appear to be cocky, arrogant f*ckers, especially considering the slump of all slumps that they are currently 'enjoying'. No 'good' team could lose so many matches in such quick succession, surely! ;) :D

thejollyrodger
25/06/2005, 3:21 PM
i cant belive all this anti shels feeling.... i cheer on bohs FFS.

give Shels and their supporters a break. there arent many of us.. i know shels wont be on top form forever, and if even the village got into the CL group stages then i would cheer them on

The Sheliban
25/06/2005, 3:58 PM
Yes, Shels are on a terrible slump at the moment, but the Glens will barely be back in pre-season. The pendulum should have swung back to the Eircom League club by the time the two matches are played.
However, its probably the worst possible draw for us. It will be more like a league game than the Champions League, and derby games are always very tight.
Steve, don't get carried away just because a few Shels fans are confident. Steau are confident too, and probably see themselves in the third round already. Aren't you confident when you play Larne or Newry?
Personally I'm never confident watching Shels - too many upsets!

Anto McC
25/06/2005, 5:15 PM
I'm in no way cocky but i still think Shels should progress,I don't know how or by how many goals nor do i care how or by how many goals but i still think we will.

pineapple stu
26/06/2005, 2:12 PM
Great result for Shels in Waterford...getting back to form just in time...?

Slash/ED
26/06/2005, 2:13 PM
Good result, poor performance, but the form of Crowe is the biggest positive to take from it. 4 goals in 5 games now and he's been outstanding recently. If we can get 6 points from the next 6, which would include a massive game v Derry, and start really performing then we can say we're back in the hunt. This next week is huge.

higgins
30/06/2005, 5:04 PM
I too think we will come through the game against Glentoran easy enough in the end. I can see maybe the first half up there being tight but as soon as we get used to the surroundings and there is no sloppy early goal I think we should start to look the best.

Its a massive thing that you are not in season. I wouldnt write it off like your manager and say that you played a team last year and were ok! Its got to make a difference and coming towards the end of both games we should have the upper hand.

God knows what the next two weeks has in store but our form cant get much worse.

If you can manage to stop us scoring up there then you would be favourite but I think after the last few seasons Nutsy knows the importance of the away goal and I think a 2-2 or something like that for the first leg.

Forza Glentoran
06/07/2005, 1:27 AM
It was 2-2 after the first leg at the Oval vs Allianssi last year too. Of course, we all know what happened after that. Personally, I'm happy to hear Shels fans saying they'll win easy. Takes the pressure off us, and will make you lot look like ****s if we tan yer arses. I would urge you not to underestimate us.

glentoranfan
11/07/2005, 7:39 PM
This is from another thread, but means the same:

Shels from what I hear think they are goint to walk all over us going by the comments, some of which are unsporting and trash. Let me asure you Shels fans now who think that is the case, you are going to have a tougher time that you think.

We have had 3 really good friendly fixtures, our side is determined, are expecting a tough game (unlike a lot of you lot) and up for it. The IL is no push over, remember the Setanta cup so you had better watch out!

Game on!

shedite
11/07/2005, 7:55 PM
In fairness, unless they cop on and start playing as a team they'd be lucky to beat Glentoran

Forza Glentoran
12/07/2005, 1:15 PM
I'm really looking forward to Wednesday night. Can't wait. The Shels will not know what's hit them, and I have a feeling they'll be heading back to Dublin with their heads hung low, because the possibility the Glens will score in the second leg is very real. Glens to win 2-1 tomorrow night.

glentoranfan
12/07/2005, 3:54 PM
“People are saying that the Irish League is just as strong as the eircom League after Linfield beat us in the Setanta Cup final, but I’d argue that that was a one-off match and as it turned out they were more up for it on the day. I believe that over the course of the next week in the two games, that Shels will prove which of us is better.”

There is more Shelbourne arrogance again. A lot of the Shelbourne team/support are jumped up tossers! No offence to the deadon amongst you, but you have to admit, that is somewhat arrogant/cocky. It is the EL, not 'la liga' or something.

Notice how Coyle just says what we are going to try to do, not what he would like to do.

It will be a close match and any honest Shelboune supporter would admit that.

Anto McC
12/07/2005, 4:39 PM
It will be a very close game that's why i reckon it will be a draw tomorrow

glentoranfan
12/07/2005, 5:59 PM
It's good to here somebody who is honest :o . I have heard a lot of Shels fans not being so, and saying this match will be a push over.

Slash/ED
12/07/2005, 6:13 PM
Only one fan on here or anywhere that I've seen has said it will be a pushover.

higgins
12/07/2005, 7:44 PM
It may be close tomorrow night and Id be happy with a draw so long as its a 2-2 or higher but over the two legs im sure we will come out tops..

Regardless of what you think all betting sites around the place have shels favourites for both legs and overall. They dont get it wrong too often.

Of course its football and you could win both legs 3-0 but it doesnt take away from the fact that Shels should beat you.

Poor Student
12/07/2005, 7:48 PM
Having seen Shels against St. Pat's last week I don't feel confident. It was a very average display. They do have the quality but something is lacking right now. There's also too much of a tendency to hoof the ball over the midfield when you have a top quality player like Ndo in the centre who can create.

franz
13/07/2005, 9:14 AM
I hope you have a good exciting and entertaining victory tonight
We will all be watching.

Aaron GUFC
13/07/2005, 9:32 AM
Shels have the ability just look at the game at landsdowne against Deportivo.
They can qualify for the group stages and i hope they do. It would be nice to see an el team in the cl. Theyll beat Steaua and if they get a favourable draw in the 3rd round theyll get through ;)

Gareth
13/07/2005, 10:35 AM
To most of teh Glentoran fan replies to one shels fans over confidence i can tell you this much:

Most Shels fans are cautious going into this tie. No one is really bandying around hit flying scorelines. Clearly we are going to hope our team wins 10-0 but we expect a close and tough game. I can also tell you Pat Fenlon and the players are going into this game under no illusions. They expect a hard fought game. The silliness of the last page of threads talking about arrogance is based on a poster or two's opinions. If you go to the Shels chatboard there is a far more balanced viewpoint.

I do beleive we have the players to win. But as a shels fan i know we need them to do something they have failed to do on may occassions this season and click. Maybe a euro tie will prove the inspiration to do so. I personally think if we come out hard and get early goals we could destory the spirit but so easily could it be the other way. Advantage is no matter what score tonight, we have the home tie to spur on the team aftyer tonight...

pineapple stu
13/07/2005, 12:39 PM
Shels have the ability just look at the game at landsdowne against Deportivo.
But can they raise their game against (perceived) smaller clubs? Hibernian, KR...

Hopefully so - with all due respect to the Glentoran fans here! We need to start taking advantage of our seeding and winning first round games home and away if we're going to continue making progress.

Drumcondra Red
14/07/2005, 12:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to Wednesday night. Can't wait. The Shels will not know what's hit them, and I have a feeling they'll be heading back to Dublin with their heads hung low, because the possibility the Glens will score in the second leg is very real. Glens to win 2-1 tomorrow night.

:D

You're lucky your keeper was on form, could have been 4 down at half time!!!

thejollyrodger
23/07/2005, 5:21 AM
Gareth, I was posting earlier that Shels would destroy Glens. They did and you started flaming me for saying as much. Shels are a very good team and Glens are crap. There isnt much point in building up the opposition and making it hard for ourselves. I think the same should apply to Steau

Shels is geared towards Europe than any other Irish Club and the Eircom League isnt as big as prize as it was 3 years ago. All the players signed last season were signed to compete in Europe and the league is a secondary consideration no matter what Ollie says. I think we can beat Steau over the two games, they arent that much better than Split (check the co-efficents) and some of their comments are so cocky that its Split all over again. Fingers crossed anyway !!

Were a better side than last season, better prepared and mentally stronger than last season. Last season we didnt exactly get into the second round with flying colours did we ?

Plastic Paddy
23/07/2005, 8:12 AM
You are just trying to annoy me now with a prediction of 5-0. Glentoran only get beaten by that sort of score-line against real quality opposition. We usually go out of Europe by a goal or 2. Welsh teams get a thrashing every year, not Irish League teams (they just usually creep out at the 1st round).

OK, so I was one goal out. Big deal. :p

higgins
23/07/2005, 10:02 PM
thejollyroger are you serious ?

As a shels fan I dont know what you are watching. We are not better then last season?? We are nowhere close!!

The players dont want to know this year. The team are laying the ball in the air too much and the midfield has not been anywhere near as solid as last season. We are also without our best centre back in Jamie Harris and Rogers has not come on from last season. How many goals have we let in?

Cork 2
Bohs 2
Bray 2
Derry 2
Derry in the cup 2
Linfield 2
Rovers 2

The list is too long for a tem geared to Europe
We wont be in Europe if we keep our current form up...

If the attitude doesnt change against Steaua we will be going to Romania with little hope.

thejollyrodger
24/07/2005, 2:45 AM
yeah i am serious but im talking about Europe. The league has been a bit of a diaster this season. The defence is a mess tbh. It might cost us in Romania :(

GavinZac
24/07/2005, 3:00 AM
yeah i am serious but im talking about Europe. The league has been a bit of a diaster this season. The defence is a mess tbh. It might cost us in Romania :(

you can "sign players for europe" all you want but coming mid table in the league will make them seem like a luxury.

higgins
24/07/2005, 8:48 PM
Leaking goals in Romania is not a worry for me. Letting them in at Tolka is. We have been very bad at home this season and are worse then last year.

What I said about Harris last year and his covering for Rogers was 100% correct. I was slagged off all over the place but the fact is Hawkins is more his own man and wont clear up as much or sit back taking the blame for his errors. The back four is 1 man short of being able to keep clean sheets against the likes of steaua.