PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne F.C. in Europe

Pages : [1] 2

Anto McC
23/06/2005, 2:43 PM
The Euro draws are on tomorrow.

I know there is a strong anti-Shels feeling on this message board but i am just curious of how many people want Shels to do well in Europe.

Can this be made into a poll,please

tiktok
23/06/2005, 2:51 PM
I'll be supporting you anyway, for the profile of the league and the coefficients.

garykelly
23/06/2005, 2:54 PM
It doesnt matter who is playing in Europe as everyone i would think wants the Irish representative to do as well as possible. Teams doing well in europe helps this league, improves the co-efficient and gives a positive knock on effect. I've always supported whichever team played in Euro competitions, be it cork, shels, bohs, longford or whoever. Anyone that wouldnt be supportive of a team in Europe isnt really thinking for the long term benefit of the league.

Peadar
23/06/2005, 2:55 PM
...and the coefficients.

Yeah, so that we can be seeded in the Champions League next season. :D

I typically root for any Irish person or team when competing against foreign opposition.

Anto McC
23/06/2005, 2:57 PM
Maybe the anti-shels feeling isn't as strong as i though but no other Dublin clubs fans have posted an opinion so i would still like a Poll

Macy
23/06/2005, 3:10 PM
Have gone the shels games in the past, wouldn't again because of Oily's attitude to neutrals as I've stated loads of times. (Big crowds all shels fans, small crowds neutrals fault :rolleyes: )

I'm kinda neutral on how they do, I mean want them to do okay, but couldn't help bursting out laughing when Hibs of Malta scored against them (if you look carefully on the TV replay of that goal you can see myself and Xlex píssing ourselves laughing as it went in :D )

Poor Student
23/06/2005, 3:19 PM
I'll be supporting Shels as I will all our other entrants. I was at Landsdowne last year and I'll try to make it to Tolka this year if possible. Another good run from all our clubs could do the league a profile boost in the media. Not to mention the obvious co-efficient benefit.

Anto McC
23/06/2005, 3:43 PM
Have gone the shels games in the past, wouldn't again because of Oily's attitude to neutrals as I've stated loads of times. (Big crowds all shels fans, small crowds neutrals fault :rolleyes: )

I'm kinda neutral on how they do, I mean want them to do okay, but couldn't help bursting out laughing when Hibs of Malta scored against them (if you look carefully on the TV replay of that goal you can see myself and Xlex píssing ourselves laughing as it went in :D )

So will you vote for or against Shels

Kingdom
23/06/2005, 3:44 PM
Without pulling the "p - i - double-crooked letter" out of any eL fans here, do you mean supporting as in , wishing to do well, or supporting as in turning up and paying at the stiles.

With regard to the latter I probably wouldn't go to watch shels but I would definitely want them to do well, regardless of who they were playing in Europe, as , said many times here, they would be helping the league not just themselves by progressing as far as possible.

I'll vote on the poll when my question has been answered.

K

ccfcgirl
23/06/2005, 3:51 PM
I will be supporting Shels ,I always support any Irish team in europe.

centre mid
23/06/2005, 3:52 PM
I think when any team plays in europe they are representing the league, any i would imagine that a majority of el fans will be wishing shels well

I for one will pay in at the turnstiles anyway

Anto McC
23/06/2005, 3:55 PM
Without pulling the "p - i - double-crooked letter" out of any eL fans here, do you mean supporting as in , wishing to do well, or supporting as in turning up and paying at the stiles.

With regard to the latter I probably wouldn't go to watch shels but I would definitely want them to do well, regardless of who they were playing in Europe, as , said many times here, they would be helping the league not just themselves by progressing as far as possible.

I'll vote on the poll when my question has been answered.

K

Just cheering them on.

ger121
23/06/2005, 4:03 PM
I'll be supporting you anyway, for the profile of the league and the coefficients.

Same as tiktok

tiktok
23/06/2005, 4:15 PM
Just had a look at who's voted yes.

Gareth, you're not a neutral, stop trying to fix the poll ;) :D :D

Kingdom
23/06/2005, 4:23 PM
Just cheering them on.

Thanks,. Done.

Gareth
23/06/2005, 4:23 PM
Just had a look at who's voted yes.

Gareth, you're not a neutral, stop trying to fix the poll ;) :D :D

"I know there is a strong anti-Shels feeling on this message board but i am just curious of how many people want Shels to do well in Europe."

Clearly I am on the message board. I also am supporting Shels and I want them to do well in Europe. Under the guise of the poll question I am just answering. :) Hehe

tiktok
23/06/2005, 4:29 PM
Clearly I am on the message board. I also am supporting Shels and I want them to do well in Europe. Under the guise of the poll question I am just answering. :) Hehe

damn your sneaky jackeen logic :p :D

jofyisgod
23/06/2005, 5:30 PM

Second that. Good Luck to Shels...

pineapple stu
23/06/2005, 5:34 PM
Always try and get along to see other eL teams in Europe - have supporters Shels, Pat's, Bohs and UCD ( :) ), though not gotten along to a Rovers game for one reason or another. Whatever about Ollie, etc., it reflects well on the league as a whole when our teams start making progress in Europe.

De Town
23/06/2005, 5:50 PM
will be supporting Shels, would always support the Irish teams in europe.

seansouth
23/06/2005, 6:31 PM
No :eek:

Candystripe
23/06/2005, 7:10 PM
I want them to win for the league's sake, but I also want them to lose so they don't get any money and heopefully go bust coz they've spent a fortune getting the likes of Baker, Crowe, Ryan, etc and canny affod to pay them! :)

Also just to sicken Ollie Byrne, the hateful wee ball of sh!te.

I'll be pleased if they win, pishing myself laughing if they lose.

kdjaC
23/06/2005, 7:14 PM
Hope they lose badly sorry the whole league doing well thing isnt for me, kinda dont like anyone else really.

kdjac

pete
23/06/2005, 8:27 PM
I voted No although i suppose i would find it hard to cheer against Shel$.

Almost no chance of me going to Tolka as neutral. However i did go to Deportivo last year to see them live.

My opinions towards shels (particularily Oily) have hardened in the last year.

bluemovie
23/06/2005, 8:51 PM
Yes - they're Irish. Simple as that. Was at the Reykjavik and Split games last year. Will hopefully get to their game(s) this year too.

ralph benham
23/06/2005, 9:03 PM
good spirit shown here, thats what it is all about,we need to compete regularly in the group stages of Europe, I will always support any team in Europe.

ThatGuy
23/06/2005, 9:22 PM
To be honest I will support Cork in Europe (despite what people down their think, nobody hates them) and Longford to a lesser extent (despite it being the most unwelcoming of places to Dubliners) but I will not cheer for Shelbourne because of their staff. I have nothing against their fans, all the Shels fans I know are sound lads, but I can not stand Ollie Byrne or Pat Fenlon.

Buller
23/06/2005, 9:28 PM
i suppose ill have to support them, theyre irish after all... :o

crc
23/06/2005, 9:44 PM
I'd support any Irish club in Europe, north or south. The leagues' major problem is poor image. Consistent good performances in Europe, from a variety of clubs will slowly but surely eat away the myth that Irish club football is no good.

Gerrit
23/06/2005, 10:43 PM
I'd support any Irish club in Europe, north or south

It could be you got a problem then, Glentoran vs Shelbourne is a possible tie :)

My answer is 'yes' of course, unless at some stage they'd play Rosenborg. Then it's a choice I just refuse to make. Otherwise: Shels all the way. Would be great if they'd draw Anderlecht and kick them out, my Belgian pals would be so ashamed then :D

De Town
23/06/2005, 10:58 PM
It could be you got a problem then, Glentoran vs Shelbourne is a possible tie :)
and so is Longford v Linfield/Portadown ;)

sonofstan
23/06/2005, 11:01 PM
To be honest I will support Cork in Europe (despite what people down their think, nobody hates them) and Longford to a lesser extent (despite it being the most unwelcoming of places to Dubliners) but I will not cheer for Shelbourne because of their staff. I have nothing against their fans, all the Shels fans I know are sound lads, but I can not stand Ollie Byrne or Pat Fenlon.

I would say that's pretty much the view form Dalymount in one pithy post.

crc
23/06/2005, 11:02 PM
It could be you got a problem then, Glentoran vs Shelbourne is a possible tie :) Lekker belangrijk! ;)
No, there'd be no problem - I don't care THAT MUCH about either the Glens or Shels! :p

Dodge
23/06/2005, 11:40 PM
How can anybody despise Shels for 50 weeks of the year and want them to win in Europe? :rolleyes: Personally I hope they get stuffed in the first round and lose a fortune on the trip too.

Hope Cork and Bohs get hammered too. Don't really mind Longford.

De Town
23/06/2005, 11:41 PM
Don't really mind Longford.

Éanna
24/06/2005, 12:01 AM
I will not cheer for Shelbourne because of their staff. I have nothing against their fans, all the Shels fans I know are sound lads, but I can not stand Ollie Byrne or Pat Fenlon.
That's pretty close to what I think as well. I don't want to see them do badly because its bad (for the league's image, and the co-efficient) but I really do despise them as a club. So I guess I'd like them to get thru one or two rounds, but just not make much money out of it- I certainly don't want them getting into the group stages. But in a straight yes/no vote, I'd have to say no. I don't wish them any ill, but I could never stomach cheering them on

ger121
24/06/2005, 7:12 AM
How can anybody despise Shels for 50 weeks of the year and want them to win in Europe? :rolleyes: Personally I hope they get stuffed in the first round and lose a fortune on the trip too.

Yeah well I hope Pats get hammered in Europe...no wait a minute :rolleyes:

Gareth
24/06/2005, 7:26 AM
Its funny, we signed most of the players in the summer for no fee and they took reduced wages. I can understand the dislike of Shels due to Ollie, but my dislike of other teams for various reasons evaporates when they are in Europe. Europe is our only chance to demonstrate our progress as a league on a bigger scale. No matter if its Shels or Rovers or Derry or Cork, if one of us gets a hammering in the league, we all get the bad publicty. Personally I think its brilliant to see other league fans at the games and no matter what one man said who's opinion few of you listen to, every club is grateful for the extra support. We at Shles clearly don't have large numbers supporting regularly so in Europe we do need other clubs fans to fill Tolka. I hope the actions of one man will not totally destroy your wish to get behind the team....

Good luck to Bohs tomorrow night...I assume its not on the box anywhere?

kdjaC
24/06/2005, 7:33 AM

/me hugs Dodge.

Thats the spirit none of this "small time league does well" crap, feck em all :D

kdjac

Gareth
24/06/2005, 7:35 AM
/me hugs Dodge.

Thats the spirit none of this "small time league does well" crap, feck em all :D

kdjac

Small time league does bad then? Is that want your looking for? :)

Drumcondra Red
24/06/2005, 7:37 AM
Good point Gar, there was a group of shels fans down cheering Bohs on against Gent, do you really think we like Bohs???

kdjaC
24/06/2005, 7:37 AM
Small time league does bad then? Is that want your looking for? :)

No just other teams ;)

But does it really matter how well the league does? Nothing is going to change in 10 years time att will be similiar, opinion of PL armchair fans will still be the same.

kdjac

Cosmo
24/06/2005, 7:39 AM
To be honest I hope any irish club in europe does well (unless its craptown).

Though will have a nice little chuckle to myself if they get knocked out in the first round of the tie.

Gareth
24/06/2005, 7:48 AM
No just other teams ;)

But does it really matter how well the league does? Nothing is going to change in 10 years time att will be similiar, opinion of PL armchair fans will still be the same.

kdjac

Well seeing as thats your opinion and outlook, there is no point labouring the point to you. Does it really matter how well the league does? depends on who you ask, if you asked a Swiss man in Turkey, probably not, but to all supporters, until I read your post, eliminating you from that group, of the league, it matters very much to them. Its part of the dream to see your league become big time and your club...but it seems a little lost on you.

Gareth
24/06/2005, 7:51 AM
Good point Gar, there was a group of shels fans down cheering Bohs on against Gent, do you really think we like Bohs???

My girlfriend was frankly confused. She knows I dislike Bohs but when the goal was scored and throughout the game I was egging them on. She just could not understand that. Kinda like our friend, kdjaC :) But then again she doesn't really understand football too well.

paudie
24/06/2005, 9:34 AM
When you see how City ended up unseeded in the UEFA Cup and how much it effects what team we'll get in the draw today it shows how important the coefficients are to all EL clubs.

Therefore I hope Shels do well.

kdjaC
24/06/2005, 9:51 AM
Its part of the dream to see your league become big time and your club...but it seems a little lost on you.

Tis indeed only dream i have is to see Pats win the Cup before me croaks it, you want the league to do well, get huge attd and get in Cl groups year after year, whos dream is more realistic :D

Would never support another rival club regardless of what it meant to the league win or lose league will still be there and i still be richer every 2nd friday.

kdjac

ThatGuy
24/06/2005, 1:17 PM
Bohs wins in Aberdeen and Kaiserslautern won't count from next year I think, Cork and Shels better hold onto the league's position!

ThatGuy
24/06/2005, 1:20 PM
Its funny, we signed most of the players in the summer for no fee and they took reduced wages.
If you believe that then you are very naive.

Anto McC
24/06/2005, 2:25 PM
If you believe that then you are very naive.

Believe me when i say that if you believe anything else you're just plain stupid