PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sportsperson!!

Tony Montana
22/06/2005, 11:57 PM
Anyone else been watching the greatest sportsperson ever show on sky one?Pretty much par for the course so far,just wondered what other people thought of the decisions?Personally I think the football top 3 should have been
1) Maradona

2) Pele

3) Cryuff

Think Pele gets these decisions because people look at his goalscoring record and see 1281 goals in 1363 matches and say "wow" but the santos team he played for played attacking football and the Brazilian league itself wasnt up to much at the time.Maradona isnt given the credit he deserves because of his drug problems and basically giving 2 fingers to FIFA,while Pele is Mr. Football.Dont think this should push him ahead of Maradona though.And Pele is obviously going to have a better goalscoring record than Maradona,Maradona wasnt a striker and played in the much tougher leagues of Spain and Italy where nobody scores 11 or 12 goals in a game as Pele did several times.
Ps Pele still class though! :D

Pps Wheres Michael Jordan in this poll by the way?!!!?!?He IS the greatest sportsperson ever!

Dick Long
23/06/2005, 1:05 AM
Jordan will probably be thrown in a 'miscellaneous' section with other minoroty sports.

If you ask me the whole thing is a ready-up for yet another accolade for the "greatest human being that ever livedĀ©" Sir Steve Redgrave

For me people like Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, Jack Nichlaus and to a lesser extent Sergei Bubka, Martina Navratalova, Lance Armstrong (if his achievements truly have been drug free), are all be legends of their sports.

By the way it they had titled the thing a little more openly Arkle would have beat the lot of them (http://www.geocities.com/jdgxxxx/)

Anto McC
23/06/2005, 9:51 AM
In regards to he football i'm just glad G. Best wasn't in the top 3,he's completely over rated IMO.

Macy
23/06/2005, 10:21 AM
For me people like Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, Jack Nichlaus and to a lesser extent Sergei Bubka, Martina Navratalova, Lance Armstrong (if his achievements truly have been drug free), are all be legends of their sports.
Like the way you've only included Lance Armstrong as a possible drug user. For starters Carl Lewis actually failed tests...

pete
23/06/2005, 10:39 AM
Eventhough i didn't live through Mohammad Ali probably had biggest impact on world sport at a time when didn't have worldwide media & tv of today.