PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with an Irish accent

OwlsFan
22/06/2005, 4:34 PM
Anyone got any idea why an American accent is often used on TV and Radio advertising in this country. The latest one is an American woman advertising a "Rod Stuart (sic)" concert in Ireland. Rod is not American and the concert is in Ireland so why do we need someone with an American accent? Or an Aussie one for the Harvey whatnot store.

Are we ashamed of our own accent ? Is it not as cool as a foreign accent ? We have some of the leading pop groups in the world yet we need foreigners to tell us about pop concerts. I wouldn't expect to be driving in Dallas and to hear an Irish accent telling me about a Cindy Lauper concert in Forth Worth.

Tony Fenton and his affected American accent really pis*es me off at well.

superfrank
22/06/2005, 4:42 PM
Nothing. They do the same thing in the US, apparently. In the Deep South they have people from northern states on the radio and TV so when people go there they don't think the South is full of rednecks.

There's an American DJ on spin103.8. He's actually really funny. And isn't Tony D on FM104 English?

Anyway, would you really rather that gobsh!te Jeremy Dixon from FM104 instead........? :D

hamish
22/06/2005, 4:42 PM
Anyone got any idea why an American accent is often used on TV and Radio advertising in this country. The latest one is an American woman advertising a "Rod Stuart (sic)" concert in Ireland. Rod is not American and the concert is in Ireland so why do we need someone with an American accent? Or an Aussie one for the Harvey whatnot store.

Are we ashamed of our own accent ? Is it not as cool as a foreign accent ? We have some of the leading pop groups in the world yet we need foreigners to tell us about pop concerts. I wouldn't expect to be driving in Dallas and to hear an Irish accent telling me about a Cindy Lauper concert in Forth Worth.

Jesus, I was only thinking about that yesterday.

We had a lecturer in UCG you'd swear was born and reared in the US.

The joke was he left "Tuam" and came back to "Toom".

I can't understand, either, why Irish people, when arranging a meeting, use the term "we'll touch base". YUK.

superfrank
22/06/2005, 4:44 PM
I can't understand, either, why Irish people, when arranging a meeting, use the term "we'll touch base". YUK.
Never heard anyone say that? :confused: Must be an Athlone thing?

hamish
22/06/2005, 4:49 PM
Never heard anyone say that? :confused: Must be an Athlone thing?

Heard it alot in Dublin when I worked there between 97 and 2000. Usually came from some young wan in PR. Are they trained to talk like that???
Athlone? "Touch base"? More like "which pub". :D

SaucyJack
22/06/2005, 4:56 PM

here in the U.S., there has been a trend over the years for commercials to use English/British voices in commercials, in particular, for high-end products and services, comes down to marketing basically, ad firms have polled people about various accents and the British/English accent has come out on top as one that people "trust"....it does, in a way, bother me.

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:11 PM
here in the U.S., there has been a trend over the years for commercials to use English/British voices in commercials, in particular, for high-end products and services, comes down to marketing basically, ad firms have polled people about various accents and the British/English accent has come out on top as one that people "trust"....it does, in a way, bother me.

Yeah, some Uk poll recently found that people had more trust in the Scottish accent in adverts, newsreading etc. Then again polls???

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:38 PM
I can't understand why Irish people have taken to ending sentences with the word 'mate', and calling people 'plonker', 'pillock', 't*at', 'git' and other terms of abuse from the east end of London.

If Podge and Rodge showed us anything, it's that we can come up with perfectly good swearwords ourselves - 'S**tehawk' being one that springs to mind..

I'm :o to admit Conor74 that I use "git", "pillock" and "man" sometimes.

Regarding the word "git". I used to hear, in Meath, the term "get" as in "Hamish, you're a right get". :D Would that be a version of "git" and are not some East End terms taken from Irish? I noticed in a magazine in The Guardian (last weekend) that "craic" is used again and again in adverts for folks concerts in the UK, even when there are no Irish bands playing. Maybe terms travel back and forth with transient workers for example.
Conor, I though $h!tehawk was from the US or Canada???? :confused:

Just wondering??

Please and love, man!!! :D

strangeirish
22/06/2005, 5:45 PM
Irish accent here in the deep south of the U.S. is top dog with the totty. I practice mine every day! :D

On a more serious note, my Irish accent is a great ice breaker when it comes to doing business over here. It gives you a great opportunity to build repore with clients.

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:49 PM
Irish accent here in the deep south of the U.S. is top dog with the totty. I practice mine every day! :D

On a more serious note, my Irish accent is a great ice breaker when it comes to doing business over here. It gives you a great opportunity to build repore with clients.

My only visit to the US, strangeirish, was in 1981 and when introduced to the yanks, inevitably the term "sure and begorrah" came out. My reply was, "Ah, another Bing Crosby fan" :D

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:50 PM
Ya gobsheen ya, ya donkey's testicles!! :D ;)

LOL :D :D

Well. y'know donkey's are well hung!!! :D

paul_oshea
22/06/2005, 5:51 PM
i found that big time in america strangeirish, i remember one case i was working on and the client was real thick and thick with me as he thought i was giving him the shove off, i wasnt, but anyhow once i rang him up to explain he realised i was irish and we had a great aul chat, he was all apologetic and started praising me!hehe

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:56 PM
i found that big time in america strangeirish, i remember one case i was working on and the client was real thick and thick with me as he thought i was giving him the shove off, i wasnt, but anyhow once i rang him up to explain he realised i was irish and we had a great aul chat, he was all apologetic and started praising me!hehe

Sure, wouldn't anyone like you POS. The Smiths wrote a song about you, y'know - "This Charming Man". :D

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:10 PM
I didn't, but then again us Kerrymen are only familiar with the anatomy of sheep...

Ah Jesus Conor don't mention sheep or Kerrs Tribe will start slagging me again. :eek:

Back to accents, we use the term "sham" here. "Howya, sham" . I think sham means fellow/man/something like that. Kinda same as in "Howya head".

They use it in Tuam too but prounce it differently - havem't the Saw Doctors some song with "sham" in the lyrics/name????

My Dad, GRH, was a Kildare man but he used to religiously buy The Kerryman paper - don't remember why?? You could get it up here every week no problem, back in the 60s.

strangeirish
22/06/2005, 6:11 PM
My only visit to the US, strangeirish, was in 1981 and when introduced to the yanks, inevitably the term "sure and begorrah" came out. My reply was, "Ah, another Bing Crosby fan" :D

Yea, I still get that from some of the older yanks. Good to play with it though and have a laugh with them. Of course, I do like to tell them that I'm related to Maureen O'Hara and that I have a signed copy of the original 'Quite Man' in the boot of the car :D and that I would sell it to them rale chape like!

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:15 PM
Yea, I still get that from some of the older yanks. Good to play with it though and have a laugh with them. Of course, I do like to tell them that I'm related to Maureen O'Hara and that I have a signed copy of the original 'Quite Man' in the boot of the car :D

Way to go Strangeirish. From your posts, I've no doubt you're well able for them :D

It's hilarious when ever I am ordering something by phone from England or talking to a Sky Tv representative - the way they try to pronounce Ballinasloe has to be heard to be believed.

I remember a Radio Luxembourg DJ, back in the 60s, prouncing Portlaoise as Port Louise. :D

Green Tribe
22/06/2005, 6:24 PM
Way to go Strangeirish. From your posts, I've no doubt you're well able for them :D

It's hilarious when ever I am ordering something by phone from England or talking to a Sky Tv representative - the way they try to pronounce Ballinasloe has to be heard to be believed.

I remember a Radio Luxembourg DJ, back in the 60s, prouncing Portlaoise as Port Louise. :D

I remeber a girl in work last summer, scottish girl, she had to phone up Coleraine to speak to a customer, she said to me" Oh i 'm going to phone a Paddy in Collar-rain" :rolleyes: Nearly crying laughing, I thought, no way I'm correcting her, let her make an eejit of herself (hated the bitch anyway) So she called up on speakerphone so we could all hear (she always made her calls on speakerphone, wanted to let everyone hear her all the time, show-off :rolleyes: , was class because she said " Hello, is that (e.g )Magee's of Collar-rain?" All the guys on the other end of the phone were roaring laughing at her...she was raging....i was quietly smirking my arse off :D

MacAonghusa
22/06/2005, 6:27 PM
I noticed in a magazine in The Guardian (last weekend) that "craic" is used again and again in adverts for folks concerts in the UK

"craic" comes from "crack" which is a Scots word, which originally came from Dutch as far as I know. The word is basically British, it's just the spelling c-r-a-i-c which is ours.

- - - - - - -

Anyway there's nothing wrong with the Irish accent, nothing wrong with our 'Hiberno-English'.

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:30 PM
Thank you for your order Mr Gannon. Your street is Mackney, thank you and town is.....er...Bawl...er Ball...er Bawlslog....er....Balinslough....er...Ballyslow... er (usually let them go on a bit)...er....that'll be county Galway then. :D

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:31 PM
"craic" comes from "crack" which is a Scots word, which originally came from Dutch as far as I know. The word is basically British, it's just the spelling c-r-a-i-c which is ours.

- - - - - - -

Anyway there's nothing wrong with the Irish accent, nothing wrong with our 'Hiberno-English'.

What about "creac" - where does that fit in??????

strangeirish
22/06/2005, 6:41 PM
What about "creac" - where does that fit in??????

Right where the toilet paper goes!!!!!!!? :D

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:46 PM

Don't remind me of that area. :eek:

MacAonghusa
22/06/2005, 9:00 PM

You got in before me ;)

REVIP
22/06/2005, 9:09 PM
".

Professor Terry Dolan's Hiberno-English archive is good craic.

http://www.hiberno-english.com/archive.php

Hadn't realised that 'craic' was a loanword from English!

Green Tribe
22/06/2005, 9:14 PM
You got in before me ;)

:eek: :eek: Disgusting chat!!!! :D

Anto McC
22/06/2005, 10:50 PM
I remeber a girl in work last summer, scottish girl, she had to phone up Coleraine to speak to a customer, she said to me" Oh i 'm going to phone a Paddy in Collar-rain" :rolleyes: Nearly crying laughing, I thought, no way I'm correcting her, let her make an eejit of herself (hated the bitch anyway) So she called up on speakerphone so we could all hear (she always made her calls on speakerphone, wanted to let everyone hear her all the time, show-off :rolleyes: , was class because she said " Hello, is that (e.g )Magee's of Collar-rain?" All the guys on the other end of the phone were roaring laughing at her...she was raging....i was quietly smirking my arse off :D

What a vicious b*tch....................Only joking KT,you're great

Anto McC
22/06/2005, 10:52 PM
Ya gobsheen ya

It wasn't always just gobsheen,sometimes it was spluttering gobsheen.

Pauro 76
23/06/2005, 11:45 AM
Amazing what the Irish accent can do too.. you can be as cheeky as you like to customers and because of the accent you get away with it! even had a good looking English lass buy me a pint when serving her the other day purely for making her day with my accent! made my day too until her boyfriend came back.. :(

paul_oshea
23/06/2005, 12:03 PM
even had a good looking English lass buy me a pint when serving her the other day purely for making her day with my accent! made my day too until her boyfriend came back.

yours isnt really an irish accent, its the bog irish accent!!hehe only buzzin, so thats prolly why cos you sound all mad and funny like, i never used to take a pint when i was offered it though, i mean i would never take the money from it.

Macy
23/06/2005, 12:26 PM
I can't understand why Irish people have taken to ending sentences with the word 'mate', and calling people 'plonker', 'pillock', 't*at', 'git' and other terms of abuse from the east end of London.
Listen mate, always going to happen as emigrants and children of emigrants move home. And to say they're all east end is just bobbins, you twát...

btw Do you think about that over your traditional east end of London drink stout (or when you're consuming your ancient roman beverage of cider?) :)

OwlsFan
23/06/2005, 12:53 PM
Anyway, back to the original post. DOn't 98FM advertise their station with an American accent all the time. It just strikes me as odd that a local Dublin station thinks it's cool to have an American accent advertising their station. The Irish accent may be liked abroad but do you hear a Dublin accent promoting a local Dallas station ?? Never.

Let's not become totally subsumed into a foreign culture so that we think a foreign accent is somehow cooler or more cache attaches to it than our own.

Phrases that irk: "Cross channel soccer results - eh ? UK is not cross channel, from Dublin anyway.

"High street prices" - we don't have High Streets as such.

But these are just asides and have nothing to do with the Americanisation of our language.

Macy
23/06/2005, 12:56 PM
But these are just asides and have nothing to do with the Americanisation of our language.
Biggest americanisation is the pronunciation of words... Genuwine, skedule etc :rolleyes:

razor
23/06/2005, 1:02 PM
You could get it up here every week no problem, back in the 60s.Happy Days !!! ;) :D

De Town
23/06/2005, 1:06 PM
Happy Days !!! ;) :D
brilliant :D :D :D

Poor Student
23/06/2005, 1:43 PM
I think it's just the one guy all over the world. When I was in Orlando years ago the same guy who would say "You're listening to FM 104" would say "You're listening to Radio Orlando(or whatever)".

hamish
23/06/2005, 2:17 PM
Happy Days !!! ;)

Cheeky fcuker - I meant The Kerryman Newspaper.

I presume you were making a reference to sex - we have it on tap up here and, this is no joke, yesterday, on my street, the watermain burst!!! :D :eek:

There........I've given you plenty of ammunition........help yourself. :p :D

brendy_éire
23/06/2005, 7:31 PM
Not sure how common this used to be, but I've noticed more and more people pronouncing 'new' as 'nue' (same with 'news'). Fries my head, that one. It sounds wile American.

gaf1983
24/06/2005, 10:16 AM
A few years ago a pupil from Limerick entered an entry into the Young Scientists' Exhibition - it was a survey in which he found that people with strong Limerick city accents felt discriminated against when applying for jobs. Maybe that's one reason why Irish people feel they have to adopt a sort of bland mid-atlantic accent, that sounds makes them sound like they're coming directly out of the cast of Friends or The O.C

gaf1983
24/06/2005, 10:18 AM
Here's the link to that Young Scientists accent story:
http://www.limerick-leader.ie/issues/20040110/news03.html

Macy
24/06/2005, 10:21 AM
A few years ago a pupil from Limerick entered an entry into the Young Scientists' Exhibition - it was a survey in which he found that people with strong Limerick city accents felt discriminated against when applying for jobs. Maybe that's one reason why Irish people feel they have to adopt a sort of bland mid-atlantic accent, that sounds makes them sound like they're coming directly out of the cast of Friends or The O.C
However, the boom in call centre's over here was because people liked the irish accent. Admittedly, probably not many in Limerick, Cork or Kerry.... :D

paul_oshea
24/06/2005, 10:22 AM
how is a survey an acceptable entry to a young scientists exhibition, where is the science??? :confused:

OwlsFan
24/06/2005, 11:29 AM

That might explain why Dessie O'Malley has this preposterous accent that is so affectated as to be unreal.

That said, I wish Bertie would brush up on the dis, dat, deze and doze :D

Green Tribe
24/06/2005, 4:51 PM
That said, I wish Bertie would brush up on the dis, dat, deze and doze :D

:D :D :D

hamish
24/06/2005, 7:05 PM
None of yes have heard the Beelow accent - a mixture of Galway and midlands - very flat. :o

Pauro 76
27/06/2005, 11:19 AM
yours isnt really an irish accent, its the bog irish accent!!hehe only buzzin, so thats prolly why cos you sound all mad and funny like, i never used to take a pint when i was offered it though, i mean i would never take the money from it.

funnily enough, most people over here have never heard the midlands accent (refuse to call it a bogger accent! ;) ) which is why some people dont beleive that im irish. got my accent mistaken for a welsh and scottish accent a few times!

paul_oshea
27/06/2005, 11:22 AM
funnily enough, most people over here have never heard the midlands accent (refuse to call it a bogger accent! ;) ) which is why some people dont beleive that im irish. got my accent mistaken for a welsh and scottish accent a few times!

i have heard the midlands accent!!!! and i still stand by waht i said above ;) :D