PDA

View Full Version : Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 30th March 2021 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

pineapple stu
28/03/2021, 4:24 PM
Eh...

So what now?

Same again sounds wrong. But who do you bring into the team?

I have a feeling this one is going to be utterly depressing to watch.

seanfhear
28/03/2021, 4:26 PM
Eh...

So what now?

Give everyone on the panel a game that hasn’t had one. They deserve it for sitting through that yesterday.

DeLorean
28/03/2021, 4:29 PM
Eh...

So what now?

It's an opportunity to show something, anything. Six months until our next game (Portugal away) would arguably be a more depressing thought, right now anyway, but I reserve the right to change my mind about that. :)

Eirambler
28/03/2021, 5:28 PM
Qatar beat Luxembourg, didn't they? They're effectively on tour and playing reasonably well. This has disaster written all over it to be honest.

Real ale Madrid
28/03/2021, 5:39 PM
Buzzing for this one!

Real ale Madrid
28/03/2021, 5:40 PM
I think we will have friendlies that have yet to be organized pre Euro 2021.

sidewayspasser
28/03/2021, 5:46 PM
I think we will have friendlies that have yet to be organized pre Euro 2021.
There hasn't been any match against Oman in a while.

John83
28/03/2021, 5:58 PM
There hasn't been any match against Oman in a while.
I'm not sure we'd beat Oman right now. I think we need a Lichtenstein or an Andorra.

Bielsa´s irish
28/03/2021, 8:23 PM
whats gonna be our 11?

liamoo11
28/03/2021, 8:33 PM
whats gonna be our 11?

I'd like this. I'm going to keep the 352 on the basis that Kenny seems to have decided this is his formation now

Bazunu
Coleman o'shea Steven's
Christie manning
Coventry knight
Brady

Parrott Robinson

Cullen prob needs a rest so would be good to see Coventry who is a natural holding midfielder. Knight should have the legs for another outing and will be an important players over the next few years. Brady produced 3 or 4 superb crosses last day and is our only player resembling an actual 10. Be nice to see parrott have a chance and Robinson has been good but struggling for match fitness.

John83
28/03/2021, 8:42 PM
I think he'll go with a stronger team than that. He needs a result.

pineapple stu
28/03/2021, 8:55 PM
A concern is Kenny's comments that some of the players were struggling with two games in four days because they eren't getting regular club action.

For a third game in six days, that'd mean either a few changes or an 80% fit team.

I agree he needs a result though

liamoo11
28/03/2021, 9:21 PM
A concern is Kenny's comments that some of the players were struggling with two games in four days because they eren't getting regular club action.

For a third game in six days, that'd mean either a few changes or an 80% fit team.

I agree he needs a result though

I think he will start to push his philosophy of changing Irish football even more now to justify getting to have this campaign and the next euros and a big part of that from now on will be beefing in young players who will then in hoscnarrative be ready to get us qualified for the next euros. That story doesnt play as well if he goes picking a Collins over a parrott for a friendly. I am assuming Doherty is out injured . I thought Clark was very uncomfortable in possession last night

Colbert Report
28/03/2021, 11:16 PM
Here's my team:

------Bazunu
Coleman-Duffy-Clark-O'Shea-Stevens
-------Hendrick-Browne--------------
Doherty----Collins----------Brady

First sub off the bench is McClean for me.

Diggs246
28/03/2021, 11:32 PM
Sad thing is I've zero confidence in us winning this game

Stuttgart88
29/03/2021, 9:24 AM
They're actually Asian Champions from 2019.

backstothewall
29/03/2021, 9:26 AM
Ordinarily this game would be an opportunity for experimentation, but at this stage we just need a win to get the monkey off our back.

For that reason I'd persist with the 3 at the back and play a relatively strong side

------------------- O'Hara ---------------
---------- Coleman Duffy Clark ---------
Christie Molumby Cullen Brady Stevens
---------------- Long Collins -------------

I think it's key that the wingbacks push forward further. Both Coleman and Clark are comfortable going into wide areas of the pitch so there's no reason why they can't push forward that bit more.

There's been talk that Shane Duffy can't play in a back three on the basis of how he played for Brighton in that system towards the end of his time there. But his subsequent performances for Celtic suggest he can't play in a back 4 either. I suspect that was an excuse back then, and that he's experienced nothing more than a catastrophic lose of form. Having that extra man close to him can only be a good thing, and even out of form his physical presence alone is worth having.

Stuttgart88
29/03/2021, 9:35 AM
O'Hara in goal? Surely we double down and give Bazunu a chance to stake a permanent claim to the jersey after decent first show on Saturday? O'Hara is probably 5th choice all things considered.

I think Duffy will return alright. I'd keep O'Shea. He's been one of the few bright spots even if he was at fault for Serbia's first.

ifk101
29/03/2021, 9:47 AM
I'd go for continuity in team selection, unless they are other reasons forcing change. Need to establish our best 11 and build a settled side - tweaks to selections can be made once that is achieved. Not a fan of the three at back (add Luxembourg to a list of failings using it (Macedonia 3-2 away, Iceland 0-0 at home)) as there is an under appreciation of how much coaching is needed to get it positionally right. But I'd continue with it for the sake of continuity.

However, end game for Kenny regardless of result/ performance imo. Too many knives out to survive the five months to the next fixture.

pineapple stu
29/03/2021, 9:50 AM
O'Hara in goal?
I suppose the argument before last Wednesday was that we had 3 young keepers in the squad, all roughly the same level (ie playing in League One) and so it would be beneficial to give all three some game time, be that one player starting v Serbia/Luxembourg and the other two getting a half each v Qatar, or each player getting one game.

I'm not entirely sure that holds if we're now saying that we need to play for a morale-boosting win v Qatar though.

CraftyToePoke
29/03/2021, 9:52 AM
O'Hara in goal? Surely we double down and give Bazunu a chance to stake a permanent claim to the jersey after decent first show on Saturday? O'Hara is probably 5th choice all things considered.

I think Duffy will return alright. I'd keep O'Shea. He's been one of the few bright spots even if he was at fault for Serbia's first.

I'd leave Bazunu alone too, we need someone to grow into the shirt at some stage soon anyway.

backstothewall
29/03/2021, 9:58 AM
O'Hara in goal?

I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do. Realistically none of the 3 goalkeepers in this squad are close to wrestling the shirt from Randolph, so my thought from the start of this round of games was that they should all get 1 game each, and i've seen nothing to disabuse me of that idea.

I'd go for continuity in team selection, unless they are other reasons forcing change. Need to establish our best 11 and build a settled side - tweaks to selections can be made once that is achieved. Not a fan of the three at back (add Luxembourg to a list of failings using it (Macedonia 3-2 away, Iceland 0-0 at home)) as there is an under appreciation of how much coaching is needed to get it positionally right. But I'd continue with it for the sake of continuity.

However, end game for Kenny regardless of result/ performance imo. Too many knives out to survive the five months to the next fixture.

My preference is for a 3-4-3, but the most dangerous we've looked in these 2 games was with Long and Collins together against Serbia. I think that deserves a chance for 90 mins.

We game 4-3-3 9 games before packing it in. I think one more friendly against Qatar is justified for the 3-5-2.

I'm keen to see Christie in this system. I've always liked him. He's not the strongest defender in the world, but he offers a threat further forward and has scored a few important goals for us over the years. Playing as a wing back should suit his game.

Stuttgart88
29/03/2021, 10:04 AM
Right now I think we should have called up Scott Hogan for these games. I'd have him start if available.

I'd probably go 3412 myself.

Real ale Madrid
29/03/2021, 10:14 AM
I'm keen to see Christie in this system. I've always liked him. He's not the strongest defender in the world, but he offers a threat further forward and has scored a few important goals for us over the years. Playing as a wing back should suit his game.

He has two goals : one against Gibraltar, another against Uruguay in a friendly - never got an important goal really. And can't defend.

sbgawa
29/03/2021, 11:23 AM
I'd leave Bazunu alone too, we need someone to grow into the shirt at some stage soon anyway.

100% this. if we assume World cup 2022 is dead then euros 2024 means Randolph will be 37 so we might as well stick with Bazunu now + Kelleher.

tetsujin1979
29/03/2021, 11:48 AM
Doherty and Stevens out: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/doherty-stevens-ruled-out-of-qatar-friendly

backstothewall
29/03/2021, 1:23 PM
Christie Molumby Cullen Brady Stevens

In the absence of Stevens

Christie Molumby Cullen Brady Manning

John83
29/03/2021, 1:48 PM
I like the idea of giving Duffy a route back into the team. Let him show he can still do it for us.

I'm inclined to give O'Shea another game. Sure, he's getting relegated, but he's a 22-year-old starting every week in the Premiership. He's ready to transition into a huge player for us, and I think I'd sooner give him his 7th cap. Coleman could start at RWB, with Christie coming on to freshen things up later on. Manning looked shaky the last time I saw him play (was it England; maybe that's a harsh game to judge him on?), but I guess a game would be good for him. Stevens isn't getting any younger, and neither are the obvious square pegs like Brady or McClean.

I'm not sure on keeper, but I think O'Hara is worth a look. The more of the options we've seen in action, the better prepared we are for the next time Randolph is injured - he's not getting any younger. O'Hara has 2.5 seasons of first team football (granted, much of it on loan), and is a Manchester United youth product - I actually think he's a safer bet than the other two options in the short term, and I wouldn't write him off as a third tier keeper just yet.

Cullen and Browne may be flagging a little, as they have had two more or less full matches in quick succession in roles that require a lot of movement. (I know, I've included others in that boat, but our options are limited.) Maybe Knight, Brady, and Hendrick, with Molumby coming on in the second half.

Up front, I don't know any more. None of them has a goal in them. Feck it, Parrott and Long.

O'Hara
O'Shea - Duffy - Clark
Coleman Knight Manning
Brady Hendrick
Long - Parrott

Real ale Madrid
29/03/2021, 2:30 PM

backstothewall
29/03/2021, 2:39 PM

TBF Andorra is probably our level if we can't beat Luxembourg

Demesne Lad
29/03/2021, 2:57 PM
I think Qatar are ranked 58th, compared to Luxembourg's 98th. We are probably sliding down the rankings now; unfortunately that suggests that a result is our priority in Hungary, not more experimentation.

Insidetherock
29/03/2021, 3:04 PM
These friendlies will be interesting to see who turns up, or who pulls out needing rest, with niggly injuries etc

Every opportunity needs to be taken to get a plan and system in place before the Autumn games.. if half a squad pulls out of these, they'll be pointless

John83
29/03/2021, 3:08 PM
I think Qatar are ranked 58th, compared to Luxembourg's 98th. We are probably sliding down the rankings now; unfortunately that suggests that a result is our priority in Hungary, not more experimentation.
Qatar are a better team than us right now. A score draw would be a good result.

Bielsa´s irish
29/03/2021, 4:54 PM
We need a win. By all means

elatedscum
29/03/2021, 5:00 PM
In the absence of Stevens

Christie Molumby Cullen Brady Manning

Not really convinced by Manning or Christie. Think i'd probably play 4-3-3 with Coleman on the right and Brady on the left of the back 4. I'd go for Bazunu over O'Hara. Don't think O'Hara is ever likely to be the answer, so I'd rather give Bazunu the game.

sadloserkid
29/03/2021, 5:08 PM
Don't think O'Hara is ever likely to be the answer, so I'd rather give Bazunu the game.

I agree with you that Bazunu definitely has more untapped potential left at this stage but O'Hara's career trajectory isn't so far from where Darren Randolph's was at the same age. I wouldn't discount him completely.

Razors left peg
29/03/2021, 5:26 PM
Lads how does anyone who watched that game on Saturday ever pick Collins again. I know there are plenty of others too but we need to move on from the likes of Collins, Long and McClean

SkStu
29/03/2021, 5:30 PM
My team for the game tomorrow. Sticking with 3 at the back.

------------------- Bazunu ---------------------
---------- Coleman O'Shea Lenihan ----------
Christie --- Molumby -- Coventry --- Manning
------------------- Hendrick -------------------
---------------- Robinson Parrott -------------

Christie and Manning with license to play more of an attacking role, two mobile holding midfielders to take the pressure off the press and allow the wing backs to receive the ball with space to run into.

passinginterest
29/03/2021, 5:36 PM
I think there's going to be fairly wholesale changes. Too many players looked wrecked after the Luxembourg game. I think it'll be 4-3-3 too and Duffy will certainly start. Kenny mentioned after the Lux game that 3-5-2 was more a result of his preferred wingers all being unfit or not playing, rather than his preferred formation.

I've been trying to formulate a response to the questions about the Kenny era on on off in my head for a while. I was looking back at a few things I had said around his appointment and the worst cases for a lot of it are unfortunately happening now. I was going to quote but can't seem to quote form a closed thread. In essence, the change in style was going to be a huge adjustment, we'd be more likely to have a chance at winning away games we'd normally draw and that we'd probably lose some home games that we'd normally at draw. I think we've seen some of that, we gave ourselves a chance to win away to Serbia in a way that we likely wouldn't under other managers, then we lost to Luxembourg in a way that was unlikely with our old style. Unfortunately it's been worst case, because Kenny's team haven't managed a single win.

Some of the other potential weaknesses were Kenny's mannerism and personality and whether senior players would respect him, jury is out on that, and I've said if the players have downed tools he has to go. Another was weakness at set pieces, I think we've seen it particularly in terms of attacking set pieces, I think we looked quite solid defending them in the most recent games, but that may be credit to Anthony Barry.

There's no getting away from the fact that Kenny is trying to change a decades old playing style with the weakest squad we've had in god knows how long. Not only is the squad weak, but so many of the "better" players are not playing regularly and are not fully fit. That's a huge factor for a game plan that involves an active press from the midfield and forward lines. I know Lux had players arguably playing at lower levels, but I'd be curios as to how many of them were starting the last 3 or 4 games for their clubs and playing 90 minutes in comparison to ours? I thought in both games we faded badly in the second half, partly down to poor impact of subs and poor tactical decisions, but also partly down to players just not being 100% fit. The press struggled against Luxembourg because we had Collins, who's not really equipped for that type of game rather than Connolly.

It's been pointed out already that there's a massive hole in the squad between players under 22 and players around 30 and over. We produced basically no players in an 8 year period at the required level. It's damning of the FAI and it's something that whoever the manager is they have to deal with. Arguably the under 21 squad coming up now are the first products of the Ruud Doktor era, certainly the younger lads like Parrot, Knight and Bazunu have come from playing under highly qualified coaches (Parrot and Bazunu both player under Stephen Rice who is a Pro licence holder now - Parrot in the Kennedy cup for DDSL and Bazunu for Rovers). It's probably a good sign that these youngsters look to be at a much better technical level than what's come before. But it means we're a decade away from those guys being the experienced pros and the next generations coming through behind them. It's one of the biggest justifications for sticking with Kenny in the longer term.

Kenny has to learn fast, he does look like a man under pressure and we've seen him fail to turn things around at Rovers and Dunfermline. In some ways it's similar to the Rovers position, there the senior pros never really bough in and he didn't survive long enough to build the team he wanted. But we've seen what he can do with Dundalk, Longford and Derry when he's given the chance to build his own squad with buy in to his philosophy.

If the FAI decides to move on from Kenny it's hard to have any gripes. I could certainly argue he's been desperately unlucky, but that doesn't hold much weight in a results business. I'd still like to see him given the chance to go into the Euros with a squad he's properly had time to shape. No doubt results will have to improve in the autumn for that to happen though. In any case, I think we're heading into an era that most of us have been fortunate enough to never experience in our lifetimes. We're dropping to to the level that our population and the quality of our league probably sits more naturally at, we're likely to be 3rd or 4th seeds for the next few years. I think the nations league has been pointing that way. The nations league may well be part of the reason we're losing to sides like Luxembourg now too, it's given them a structure where they can go and win games and build confidence and come into qualifying campaigns feeling like they can compete (pretty much the opposite to the effect it's had on us, we're the only nation never to win a nations league game as far as I know now.

Sorry, that's madly long winded and probably in the wrong thread. I'm a bit perplexed by the whole thing and lots of thoughts have been rambling around my head since the Lux result.

Razors left peg
29/03/2021, 6:56 PM
Bazunu
Coleman Duffy Clarke OShea
Molumby Knight Cullen
Hendrick Parrott Robinson

Looks like Stevens is out and I dont rate Manning so Id switch O'Shea to full back.

pineapple stu
29/03/2021, 7:16 PM
Hendrick up front/out on the wing?

Not sure that's going to work is it? Horgan's be a better bet there; at least there's a bit of life in him.

Razors left peg
29/03/2021, 7:27 PM
Hendrick up front/out on the wing?

Not sure that's going to work is it? Horgan's be a better bet there; at least there's a bit of life in him.

Honestly, I couldnt think who else and just remembered him cutting in from wing brilliantly against Bosnia in play offs years ago. You are right though, Horgan better option.

Im just so deflated tbh that I really dont even know who to pick, I just know who I dont want in the team anymore.

Bielsa´s irish
29/03/2021, 10:04 PM
--------------------O'hara-------------------------

-----Coleman--------Duffy--------Lenihan-------O'Shea

Horgan--------Hendrick-- Coventry---------Manning(McClean)

---- Long-----------Parrott---------

backstothewall
29/03/2021, 10:13 PM
I saw this quote from Jason Knight this evening.

"Us young lads coming through need to step up now. This is the international stage and you're here for a reason so it's down to us to ultimately perform and perform when we are asked to.

It was really disappointing after the game on Saturday, a really really bad result against Luxembourg ultimately but we're looking forward to the game against Qatar tomorrow, and trying to put things right. There's a real energy to do that; you can sense it from around the group."

That's exactly the attitude that's required tbf

Bungle
29/03/2021, 10:20 PM

"Us young lads coming through need to step up now. This is the international stage and you're here for a reason so it's down to us to ultimately perform and perform when we are asked to.

It was really disappointing after the game on Saturday, a really really bad result against Luxembourg ultimately but we're looking forward to the game against Qatar tomorrow, and trying to put things right. There's a real energy to do that; you can sense it from around the group."

He will be a very good player for us. Lampard, Cocu and Rooney all love him. Not just talented, but a really good kid. Dara O'Shea and Gavin Bazunu seem the same.

Bielsa´s irish
29/03/2021, 10:21 PM

Yeah but what is he gonna say. i would play ugly tomorrow with a tight formation but Kenny wouldnt do that, I could go with

------------------------------Ohara-----------------------------

Coleman------Duffy---------------Lenihan-----------OShea

Knight------------Mollumby--------Browne-----------Manning

----------------Long----------Collins

John83
29/03/2021, 10:32 PM
--------------------O'hara-------------------------

-----Coleman--------Duffy--------Lenihan-------O'Shea

Horgan--------Hendrick-- Coventry---------Manning(McClean)

---- Long-----------Parrott---------

Yeah but what is he gonna say. i would play ugly tomorrow with a tight formation but Kenny wouldnt do that, I could go with

------------------------------Ohara-----------------------------

Coleman------Duffy---------------Lenihan-----------OShea

Knight------------Mollumby--------Browne-----------Manning

----------------Long----------Collins
So, what happened in the 17 minutes between these posts to make you change you mind?

Bielsa´s irish
29/03/2021, 10:34 PM
So, what happened in the 17 minutes between these posts to make you change you mind?

That team the 1st if we need to play it expansive business, the 2nd if we wanna keep it tight a la catenaccio.

eekers
30/03/2021, 1:39 AM
They are the worst team Ireland could play right now.
The are the highest ranking team (58th) that the general public think are brutal.
The reality is they are Asian Champions, beating South Korea and Japan.
They were a guest team at the Copa America and didn't disgrace themselves, drawing with Paraguay in the groups.
They have beaten the likes of Switzerland in friendlies.
And they are playing all three games this window in the same ground in Hungary.
No travel for them just training days.
I'll take a 1-0 win right now.

backstothewall
30/03/2021, 1:58 AM
They are the worst team Ireland could play right now.
The are the highest ranking team (58th) that the general public think are brutal.
The reality is they are Asian Champions, beating South Korea and Japan.
They were a guest team at the Copa America and didn't disgrace themselves, drawing with Paraguay in the groups.
They have beaten the likes of Switzerland in friendlies.
And they are playing all three games this window in the same ground in Hungary.
No travel for them just training days.
I'll take a 1-0 win right now.

I have a bad feeling about getting absolutely hockeyed