PDA

View Full Version : Outclassed?

showgies
22/06/2005, 8:19 AM
I thought last nights game vs Longford show the gulf between the Prem + 1st divisions. In my opinion Longford are the best team I have seen in the Showgrounds in a while. Each player looked comfortable on the ball and they passed and moved with purpose. I was impressed with the way the kept their shape and their involvement of their full backs (which is something Rovers lack).

Perhaps the inclusion McNamara & Burns may have prevented the ease in which Longford scored last night, but I do feel Longford could have stepped up their game at any stage.

At least it shows Connors what is required if we do go up and on last nights performance the only Rovers players who looked capable of the step up were Faz and O’Grady and possibly O’Hara.

garykelly
22/06/2005, 8:44 AM
I thought last nights game vs Longford show the gulf between the Prem + 1st divisions. In my opinion Longford are the best team I have seen in the Showgrounds in a while. Each player looked comfortable on the ball and they passed and moved with purpose. I was impressed with the way the kept their shape and their involvement of their full backs (which is something Rovers lack).

Perhaps the inclusion McNamara & Burns may have prevented the ease in which Longford scored last night, but I do feel Longford could have stepped up their game at any stage.

At least it shows Connors what is required if we do go up and on last nights performance the only Rovers players who looked capable of the step up were Faz and O’Grady and possibly O’Hara.

I'm not sure we need to read too much into last night's game. Longford played well and all that, but rovers game them far too much respect. We looked nervous on the ball and everything was rushed. If burns was alongside mcnamara, then longford might not have got in so easily. we do need another striker, becuase expecting o'donnell to play there isnt fair considering he's played midfield all season. I think we should focus on being top of first div, learn from the experience and just forgetting about the loss, and putting cobh to the sword on saturday. it's a massive game.

akearins
22/06/2005, 9:44 AM
Last nights game proved how big the step up to the Premier would be for us and the huge changes in playing personnel Sean would need to make to compete in the Premier, but he nows this himself. very impressed with Longford as I was in the pre saeson friendly down there too, they are very comfortable on the ball know where exactly each player is and only seemed to take 2 touches evety time they were in posesssion...the pitch for as much as we complained about it didnt seem to effect the Longford boys as much as us

Disappointed to see few players starting last night, no offennce to any of them but I thought it woukd have been a good learning curve for the likes of Bellew, Curran , Kelly and some other youths to see what they can do after all we have seen what certain players can do....

From last nights performance O'Grady yet again showed he is one step above the rest mainly due to his yera in the top flight, O'Hara, Lowe and Ralph (not going by lats night performance) possibly Flannery and McTiernan could hold there own in the top.

However there is no need to get hung up on the performance it as agood test for us and will make us the wee bit sharper for Saturday visit of Cobh I have no doubt...and as Sean as said the League is a priority and if we can keep the momentum up get the few players in when the transfer window opens we will be seeeing the likes of Longford and better next season..

So chalk last was another step on the learning curve for the lads so now "Bring on the Ramblers....."

red metal
24/06/2005, 4:00 PM
Alan i agree 100% with you.On your a view of the longford game.Iv said it all the long that if we go up we will need about 13-14 player,s.the only players that would cut it in the preimer are.O Hara/ Raf /Mc T/ Mc Namara/ Burns/ Faz/O Grady.From the squad and thats about our lot.Getting back to the longford game they where a very good side maybe we did give them a little to much respect. But there passing and movment was top class in fairness to them.And i felt they could have turned it up a noch if needed.Such was the gulf in class.

roversforever
24/06/2005, 7:57 PM
the only players that would cut it in the preimer are.O Hara/ Raf /Mc T/ Mc Namara/ Burns/ Faz/O Grady.
i think you underate kupono low.if he's not a premier division player i don't know what to say.stephen o' donnell is good enough too.

sligoman
24/06/2005, 10:56 PM
i think you underate kupono low.if he's not a premier division player i don't know what to say.

Yes I agree, Low is definetely premier division standard.

red metal
26/06/2005, 8:03 PM
Yes lowe is good enough i forgot him sorry. But i dont agree about o donnell sorry.First of all have a good look at him in his next game his first touch is as bad as Foley,s. His passing is as bad and he never shut,s his mouth to ref,s.The quicker he goes back to donegal the better for us!

Ronnie
27/06/2005, 2:58 PM
First time in the Showgrounds last week. Very impressed with your set up. Appreciate theres more to do. Best of luck for the rest of the season, hope you get up.