PDA

View Full Version : Grant to come out of retirement

pete
21/06/2005, 10:25 PM
From Today's Star...

Stephen Grant has revealed that he is being urged into an eircom League return - by none other that Ireland legend Niall Quinn.

The Star revealed on Saturday that Cork City boss Damien Richardson was hoping to tempt the former Shamrock Rovers ace back into the game.

And Richardson - who managed Grant at Rovers - has found himelf a powerful ally.

Grant revealed "Damien contacted me last week. At first I ruled it out but then I spoke to Quinny about it. He is one of my best mates and he told me that I should step back, take a couple of weeks and think about it".

The 28 year old forward has taken his golfing buddy's advice on board. And he is likely to give Damien Richardson a response within a week.

Grant first met Quinn when they were both at Sunderland. Now they play a twice-weekly round of golf at the Heritage.

It was partly for his love of golf that Grant retired at the end of the season. He plays off a plus-one handicap and has impressed recently on the Irish amateur circuit.

"I'm going to weigh it all up," said Grant. "I have to really think about it, go down to Cork, see the place and meet the players.

"The real reason I am thinking of going back is to actually win something. Damien is a really good manager. I always got on with him. And Cork City are a really good club.

"About a week ago I was definately not into it. But the more I sat back and talked to people like Quinny about it the more tempting it became.

Damien told me players' best years are when they are 27, 28 and 29 - so as I came into my prime I retired. I will definately think long and hard about it.

"I love the league of Ireland. I love the buzz around it. And if I do decide to come back, I will really look forward to it".

=================

IMO could be excellent signing.

Éanna
21/06/2005, 10:29 PM
would be a very good signing IMO

pete
21/06/2005, 10:41 PM
Saviours will probably get no credit fot it either ;)

daveh
22/06/2005, 2:08 AM
i dont usually post when drunk but ill make an exception tonight,i got into 2nd year of college somehow!!!!

stephen grant imo would be worth havin a look at,we'll obviously get him for free and anytime ive seen him he impressed me,despite the whole modeling thing!!!

Peadar
22/06/2005, 7:56 AM
I can't believe he's only 28!
Always thought he was around for years and I suppose retirement made me consider him as being older.
I think he's well worth a look if he's still got what it takes to cut it at the top of the Irish game.

shedite
22/06/2005, 2:33 PM
Why did he retire? Is he the skin-head or the model? I always got the two of them mixed up.

Éanna
22/06/2005, 3:03 PM
Why did he retire? Is he the skin-head or the model? I always got the two of them mixed up.
the model. he retired cos he wouldn't go full time- he was living in offaly and he wanted to concetrate on golf full time.

ccfcgirl
22/06/2005, 5:01 PM
Handy for city ,Especially if his free .

Citygirl
22/06/2005, 5:50 PM
the model..

there's a photo of him over on the official site that time he modelled the new cork gaa jersey..at least i think its him

stephen grant (http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=1)

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:53 PM
there's a photo of him over on the official site that time he modelled the new cork gaa jersey..at least i think its him

[URL=http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=1[/URL]

Fcuk Grant - anyone ever see his blonde sister?? :D When she got married around 1991/1992, her dad spent £5000 (punts) on flowers for the occasion. No kidding.

shedite
23/06/2005, 12:55 PM

stephen grant (http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=1)

He looks like one of the guys from The Panel

Ash
23/06/2005, 1:12 PM
Is he still based in Birr?
If so a handy little tip back over to Athlone would be just the ticket :D
Especially as we let him go to Sunderland for nothing! :mad:

pete
23/06/2005, 1:14 PM
If so a handy little tip back over to Athlone would be just the ticket :D

I think he is contemplating coming out of retirement to win something so probably rules out Athlone.

Ash
23/06/2005, 1:27 PM
you know how to really cut to the core ;)

Nah, we can still get promotion. Lot of luck required though

hamish
23/06/2005, 2:22 PM
you know how to really cut to the core ;)

Nah, we can still get promotion. Lot of luck required though

Ash, y'know those Corky Boys will let you away with nothing. Yeah, £30,000 was agreed with Sunderland and they acted the boll!x with the deal, I remember it well. He had just scored, on his debut, against them in a pre season. Remember that?

Anyway, he's only a fcuking male model these days - they're welcome to him but his sister?? Totty par excellence - well, back in the early 90s anyway.

pete
23/06/2005, 2:34 PM
Anyway, he's only a fcuking male model these days - they're welcome to him but his sister?? Totty par excellence - well, back in the early 90s anyway.

Well we do have an online Club Shop now so maybe they can do a sibling photo shoot.

hamish
23/06/2005, 2:54 PM
Well we do have an online Club Shop now so maybe they can do a sibling photo shoot.

Athlone Town have one too - good idea Pete but the last time I saw her was in the early 90s. Lovely girl, very pleasant and pretty but now????
Grant would be a good signing - his dad's a multi-millionaire, no kidding. Possible sponsorship there.

adamd164
23/06/2005, 5:35 PM
It's interesting alright and if he decides to come back, I'd be happy to see him with City.