PDA

View Full Version : Cork unseeded for UEFA draw

ifk101
21/06/2005, 8:17 AM
.... according to uefa.com. Longford remain seeded.

EnDai
21/06/2005, 8:28 AM
Thats unlucky, after last years run I'd've thought Cork are more deserving of it than Longford, but Longford will need the easier draw! I'd imagien Cork will hold their own in most of the possible ties, even Viking (though that will be the most difficult one!)

tiktok
21/06/2005, 8:41 AM
Thats unlucky, after last years run I'd've thought Cork are more deserving of it than Longford, but Longford will need the easier draw! I'd imagien Cork will hold their own in most of the possible ties, even Viking (though that will be the most difficult one!)

The cost of the inter-toto not contrinbuting to seedins unfortunately.
I'm 100% sure we would have gone through if seeded, it's a tall order now, though we can give anyone a game, a revenge mission on Ljepajas Metalurgs anyone?

Peadar
21/06/2005, 8:43 AM
I'd imagien Cork will hold their own in most of the possible ties, even Viking (though that will be the most difficult one!)

Being unseeded means that we're at home first, right?
That could work in our favour if we can get a good result at home and the opposition have a poor home crowd due to lack of interest or complacency.

tiktok
21/06/2005, 8:51 AM
Being unseeded means that we're at home first, right?.

I think/hope so.
Catch someone off guard a la Malmo last year

Éanna
21/06/2005, 12:08 PM
tits to that anyway :mad:

Shelsman
21/06/2005, 12:44 PM
The cost of the inter-toto not contrinbuting to seedins unfortunately.

Feckin ridiculous that the intertoto doesn't affect seedings, makes it seem that UEFA don't take the competition seriously themselves??? :mad:

drinkfeckarse
21/06/2005, 12:52 PM
What sort of teams could ye get lads?

I wouldn't imagine there would be any great teams (no disrespect) at this stage so you'd have to fancy City's chances of progressing anyway, especially with a lot of teams in their off season now.

Hope so anyway.

tiktok
21/06/2005, 1:12 PM
...makes it seem that UEFA don't take the competition seriously themselves??? :mad:

sure they don't, they're scrapping it next year :(

pete
21/06/2005, 1:15 PM
I wasn't aware that seedings affect who is at home first.

:confused:

tiktok
21/06/2005, 1:18 PM
I wouldn't imagine there would be any great teams (no disrespect) at this stage so you'd have to fancy City's chances of progressing anyway, especially with a lot of teams in their off season now.

There's quite a few decent teams in the seeding, and unfortunately they all (bar one) play in summer leagues.

It could be a tall order.

tiktok
21/06/2005, 1:19 PM
I wasn't aware that seedings affect who is at home first.

:confused:

as it turns out, they don't :o

DolansWaistcoat
21/06/2005, 4:21 PM
Thats a real balls. :o
When does the draw take place.

De Town
21/06/2005, 4:22 PM
Thats a real balls. :o
When does the draw take place.
friday.

DolansWaistcoat
21/06/2005, 4:24 PM
friday.

Nice1 town,savage quick reply by the way :eek: :D

ollie
21/06/2005, 4:49 PM
we'll be up against one of the following:
Viking FK (NOR)
Esbjerg fB (DEN)
FK Ventspils (LAT)
FHK Liepajas Metalurgs (LAT)
Myllykosken Pallo-47 (FIN)
AC Allianssi (FIN)
FK Ekranas (LIT)
FK Atlantas (LIT)
Keflavík (ISL)
ÍBV Vestmannaeyjar (ISL)

apart from maybe viking i reckon we could take any of the others.we're playing better than we were last season and i see no reason for us to be fearfull.I'd love it if we got Liepajas Metalurgs and get revenge for a few years ago.They were bad then,hopefully they are still the same.

Shelsman
21/06/2005, 5:20 PM
I hope ye get Metalurgs and redeem yourselves after that disgrace a few years ago. The excuses Gunther made were pathetic ( and so was the performance BTW ).

A lot of the other teams look tasty too.

dancinpants
21/06/2005, 5:28 PM
sure they don't, they're scrapping it next year :(

:confused: So are they increasing the amount of participents in the UEFA Cup?

Éanna
21/06/2005, 6:05 PM
I hope ye get Metalurgs and redeem yourselves after that disgrace a few years ago. The excuses Gunther made were pathetic ( and so was the performance BTW ).couldn't agree more

kevincronin2000
21/06/2005, 6:06 PM
which clubs dont play summer soccer

tiktok
21/06/2005, 7:27 PM
which clubs dont play summer soccer

They all take part in summer leagues except for elsberg, but even the danes will be back playing when the UEFA games take place (they have a huge winter break)

pete
21/06/2005, 9:51 PM
1. Viking Stavanger Nor

2. Esbjerg fB Den

3. FK Ventspils Lat Beat Faroes team 11-0 on agg & then beat Brondy. Can see from ranking points exclusing last year not been in 1st round proper in last 5 years.
Metalurgs Liepaja Lat

MyPa-47 Fin
Allianssi Vantaa Fin
Other Finish team lost to Glentoran last year

Ekranas Panevezys Lit
Atlantas Klaipeda Lit
Other Lithuanian team beat Portadown 4-2 on agg.

IBK Keflavik Isl
IBV Vestmannaeyjar Isl
Other team beat Dunfirmline 4-3 on agg in 2nd qualifying round

1st 3 teams in list definitely look the strongest by far. Metalurgs could be good draw but they beat Swedish team on away goals before losing to Schalke 9-1 on agg.

daveh
22/06/2005, 2:12 AM
metalurgs for me!!

one of the poorest teams ive ever seen at the cross,if we had any belief that year we would have cruised through to the next round

pineapple stu
22/06/2005, 12:55 PM
Metalurgs seem to have improved in recent years - currently clear at the top of the Latvian league, which only Skonto have won ever (though they're still a Latvian team...)

Think overall it's good that Cork are unseeded and Longford are seeded (as opposed to the other way around; would have preferred if both were seeded) as Cork are more likely to progress against a seeded team than Longford would have been. Hopefully this way, we can get the two teams through...

paudie
24/06/2005, 9:39 AM
metalurgs for me!!

one of the poorest teams ive ever seen at the cross,if we had any belief that year we would have cruised through to the next round

That was years ago though.

I think I read somewhere that they knocked Brondby out of the UEFA Cup last season.

pete
24/06/2005, 9:41 AM
I think I read somewhere that they knocked Brondby out of the UEFA Cup last season.

Yup. On away goals in 2nd qualifyig round. Schalke trashed them in next round though.

Shelsman
24/06/2005, 12:16 PM
Good draw for Shels today getting Glentoran ( good for Glens too ). Best of luck in the UEFA Cup draw today to both Cork and Longford, I'll be going to the Cork home game regardless of who you get. Here's hoping you we all go on magical Europen journeys this season like the ones Shels and Cork went on last year.