PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere

Pages : [1] 2

Conor H
20/06/2005, 8:48 PM
Just wondering what club people think create the best atmosphere in the league.I haven't been to many premier grounds lately(just cork-great atmosphere)so i can only comment on the 1st division clubs.In order........

1 Galway Utd
2 Sligo Rovers
3 Limerick

Often the above won't create a good atmosphere at every game.Is it different in premier grounds?Galway is the only 1st division club that i saw with a drum etc,but i think sligo are getting one.

Poor Student
20/06/2005, 8:50 PM
Derry have the best fans in my opinion. Sing completely constantly and have good colour.

superfrank
20/06/2005, 8:51 PM
Bray can be good when we get going. I haven't been to other grounds in the Premier. By the way, Whitehall has, or had, a sh!te atmosphere.

You do know everyone's going to say Cork? :D

Oh yeah, Derry do have deadly fans. They sure can make alotta noise!

Conor H
20/06/2005, 8:52 PM
Ya id agree they do have excellent fans.Cork do aswell.

De Town
20/06/2005, 9:02 PM
1 derry
2 cork
3 rovers (for atmosphere only)
12 longford (we are terrible, esp. at home) :(

Bosco
20/06/2005, 10:11 PM
Agree with the de town.The amount of people in the stand on saturday came out of the match saying how someone should get drummers into the stand and i just said "sure all you'd do is look at them,you wouldnt join in" (this is not a dig at stand dwellers its was just relevent to the people who said it).I think if we got some drums into section o it would attract people over but we've no drummers.

Sorry went off topic,before saturday night i would have said it was even between derry and cork but derry were just amazing the other night.Having said that i've never seen cork at their best.So in my experiences

1 Derry
2 Cork
3 Rovers

Would have glentoran in their but they're not in the league,they were amazing in the setanta cup

brendy_éire
20/06/2005, 10:14 PM
Would have glentoran in their but they're not in the league,they were amazing in the setanta cup

Was this the match in the Oval? Didn't think they done that well.
They're not great in general, but they'll give it a fair lash against Linfield.

Sonic
20/06/2005, 10:33 PM
Agree with the de town.The amount of people in the stand on saturday came out of the match saying how someone should get drummers into the stand and i just said "sure all you'd do is look at them,you wouldnt join in" (this is not a dig at stand dwellers its was just relevent to the people who said it).I think if we got some drums into section o it would attract people over but we've no drummers.

Sorry went off topic,before saturday night i would have said it was even between derry and cork but derry were just amazing the other night.Having said that i've never seen cork at their best.So in my experiences

1 Derry
2 Cork
3 Rovers

Agree completely the lads in the stand are old crones that complain when anyone tries to even start any type of atmosphere.I wouldve loved to see their faces on saturday derry fans rose the roof.

Btw Derry fans by a mile they were chanting a song about stephen kenny for 10 or so mins mayb more .we are lucky if we get 3 or 4 De longfords a game

sligoman
20/06/2005, 10:40 PM
but i think sligo are getting one.

We have got one but it hasn't really taken off yet :( , but it has only been one game after all

sligoman
20/06/2005, 10:45 PM
1 Galway Utd
2 Sligo Rovers
3 Limerick

You think we create a good atmosphere? :confused:, When were you last at a match in The Showgrounds? We used to be fairly good but this season there is little or no atmosphere because the shed has been closed and all the shedheads are separated around the ground, so until we get the shed back, we are a dull crowd, but we're good on the field and that's what matters ;) .

Conor H
20/06/2005, 11:05 PM
I only mentioned sligo because yee have a good fanbase.I Know from numerous visits that yee don't have a group who constantly sing(the odd"the rovers")but yee have a supporters trust ,recently set up,that's why i put yee at my No.2 same with the lims.Who else?Monaghan, kilkenny :rolleyes:

Kildare are half decent and dublin are terrible,no offence to any city supporters.

MariborKev
20/06/2005, 11:15 PM
Btw Derry fans by a mile they were chanting a song about stephen kenny for 10 or so mins mayb more .we are lucky if we get 3 or 4 De longfords a game

17 Minutes I think it lasted for. Not bad, but not a patch on the 30 minute plus rendition at Tolka. :D

Hard to judge fans at the Brandywell as so few travel up

Away fans
1. Harps
2. Rovers
3. Shels

De Town
20/06/2005, 11:19 PM
1. Harps
:eek: :eek: :eek:
they have a great atmosphere and all but a derry fan voting for harps :eek: :eek:

MariborKev
20/06/2005, 11:25 PM
Just wondering what club people think create the best atmosphere in the league.

De Town, I refer you to the original remark. He didn't ask for the "Biased view, discounting your near neighbours" best atmosphere. Indeed as a Galway fan he included Sligo

De Town
20/06/2005, 11:28 PM
De Town, I refer you to the original remark. He didn't ask for the "Biased view, discounting your near neighbours" best atmosphere. Indeed as a Galway fan he included Sligo
i know maribor, i know, i was only messing :o

harpskid
21/06/2005, 8:15 AM
Best away fans in Ballybofey

Derry
Rovers
Cark

Mind you Waterford supporters gave a good account of themselves on Saturday night :eek:

Sliogán Dóite
21/06/2005, 9:28 AM
the 30 minute plus rendition at Tolka

Couldn't figure out why ye were singing 'Stephen Jennings' then I slapped myself!
In fairness, it was excellent from a small group of fans.

Cosmo
21/06/2005, 9:31 AM
Cork are crap at home, good away though but thats probably cos theyre on the beer all day cos its a long journey :rolleyes:

In united park, its always a toss up between rovers, bohs and pats. Obviously all bring good crowds as its a handy trip for them, but for me rovers will always be tops, though again they can be pretty bad for some home matches :eek:

superfrank
21/06/2005, 9:40 AM
Cork are crap at home, good away though but thats probably cos theyre on the beer all day cos its a long journey :rolleyes:
Cork were crap on Friday night. Nowhere near what I expected. We weren't that great either though.....

Jaime
21/06/2005, 10:16 AM
Drums don't make an atmosphere; there's no substitute for a decent body of fans chanting and generally being "enthusiastic", ideally with a roof. That's why the whole North Terrace (while being a great way for us to get tickets) thing is so contrived, so plastic; you can have 10 drums, but if there are no good songs (and Ireland don't have any) it just isn't going to work.

Rovers still take the best numbers (seldom under 1,000) to Dalymount, and make the most noise. Cork try hard, but don't bring as many as they claim, and like Derry, while being uniquely enthusiastic (thinking here of singing non-stop), can't really be heard very well from the opposite end of the stand.

Peadar
21/06/2005, 10:26 AM
Cork are crap at home, good away though

I don't think that's true or fair.
The away supporters are on the opposite end of the ground to the Shed so a lot of the noise is lost.
We're different from many clubs in that we still have a core support in a terraced goal end of the ground.
If we only had enough people to fill one stand, still more than most clubs, you'd have the noise concentrated in the same area as the visiting fans and therefore appear to have a better atmosphere.

tiktok
21/06/2005, 10:47 AM
Cork were crap on Friday night. Nowhere near what I expected. We weren't that great either though.....

In fairness, we ended up split up at opposite ends of the ground, there was nothing approaching segregation, there were Bray fans peppered around us giving us dirty looks for making noise :eek:, it was a bit of a mess.

We actually brought way more than I was expecting, but the night itself was disjointed alright.

Cosmo
21/06/2005, 12:20 PM
'I don't think that's true or fair. The away supporters are on the opposite end of the ground to the Shed so a lot of the noise is lost.'

I have stood at the corner beside the shed on numerous occassions as a neutral and i dont recall it ever been anything to write home about. No need to take offence by it, most home crowds for any team are crap :rolleyes:

Éanna
21/06/2005, 12:25 PM
1. Derry
2. Harps
3. Rovers
4. Us

(Cork) City fans are brilliant when they want to be, the problem is we frequently don't want to be. We're much better away- beer makes the difference :D

Roo69
21/06/2005, 12:40 PM
So far this season it is Derry by a mile, worst without a shadow of a doubt would be Longford, i've never been to a ground where the home support was so quite.

Cork brought a decent crowd with them on Friday night and it was great to see 95% of them all wearing there colours. They were ok in the 1st half but then they split for the 2nd half which was pointless

Dyl10
21/06/2005, 12:47 PM
Bohs have the best atmosphere for me

Speranza
21/06/2005, 1:43 PM
At the Brandy...

1. Rovers
2. Pats
3. Bohs

Drumcondra Red
21/06/2005, 2:00 PM
It has to be Derry, although we didn't get much of a mention, we always, and still do, sing consistently, even when losing, honourable mention maybe???

Cork are good when they come to Tolka for a big game, or if they're winning :p

Rovers always bring the numbers, but for my money the handful of Derry fans at the FAI cup game were louder!!!

Schumi
21/06/2005, 2:38 PM
It has to be Derry, although we didn't get much of a mention, we always, and still do, sing consistently, even when losing, honourable mention maybe???
The problem with Shels is that the stand all the singers are in is crap for noise. Even when there's lots of singing (judging by the hand clapping anyway), it's very hard to hear at the other end.

Éanna
21/06/2005, 3:52 PM
The problem with Shels is that the stand all the singers are in is crap for noise. Even when there's lots of singing (judging by the hand clapping anyway), it's very hard to hear at the other end.
I thought they were all mime artists?

Slash/ED
21/06/2005, 3:55 PM

Exactly. I really wish we'd move to another part of the ground. People don't seem to realise how little we can heard from the other side of the ground when in the new stand espically if there's away fans in the Riverside stand.

Anto McC
21/06/2005, 4:04 PM
Exactly. I really wish we'd move to another part of the ground. People don't seem to realise how little we can heard from the other side of the ground when in the new stand espically if there's away fans in the Riverside stand.

We decided at the moment a move is out of the question.

EnDai
21/06/2005, 4:09 PM
I used to sit down in the Ballybough end to watch the games, and you can't actually hear the Shels fans there, wether the away fans are chanting or not!

Conor H
21/06/2005, 5:45 PM
1. Derry
2. Harps
3. Rovers
4. Us

(Cork) City fans are brilliant when they want to be, the problem is we frequently don't want to be. We're much better away- beer makes the difference :D

Do Derry and harps bring many down to the cross it's an awful long journey? At the replay a steward told me that ye had your biggest crowd of the season for the harps game but that they only had 8 that's unlike harps fans no matter where they are in the league.

Da Real Rover
21/06/2005, 5:57 PM
At the moment in the first division, Galway then Limerick have the best atmosphere. But when we get the shed back we'll be right back on top, no doubting that.

Conor H
21/06/2005, 5:58 PM
We'll see. ;)

Éanna
21/06/2005, 6:02 PM
Do Derry and harps bring many down to the cross it's an awful long journey? At the replay a steward told me that ye had your biggest crowd of the season for the harps game but that they only had 8 that's unlike harps fans no matter where they are in the league.
No they don't but they always make noise. I was talking more about home support anyway. I reckon our away support is the best TBH- certainly better than pretty much anything anyone brings to the cross. Harps only had a few because the game was switched from friday to monday at fairly short notice

harpskid
21/06/2005, 6:31 PM
We had 8 on a Bank Holiday Monday - more than a lot of clubs bring to Ballybofey

Sonic
21/06/2005, 6:31 PM
Ridiculous assertion. Much more than "old crones" in there I'm glad to inform you. Better than the "old drones" across the way that can't even be heard.

Derry were in full voice on Saturday night - best noise-makers in the league by a Roman mile.

you dont have to disagree with absolutely everything i say cop on.Im saying that it is the old crones who complain not that the whole stand are full of them and i hope you are not sayin im an section "oer" cos im not :eek:

Dave drummerboy
21/06/2005, 6:53 PM
Well we can be good when we want to be , or when we do have something to cheer about . the best that ive ever seen are
1 Finn harps always good crack with you boys in oriel
2 Derry city fans always had respect for after coming to the cup final and cheerin us on .
3 never seen cork but any games ive seen on the telly always sounds good crack ,
4 Longford are good when in the cup final .

And Galway boy your wroung if you think you lot only have drums , dublin city have one they just need fans now , and we have 2 , and you can see that on thursday night in mons picth .

Conor H
21/06/2005, 9:48 PM
Well we can be good when we want to be , or when we do have something to cheer about . the best that ive ever seen are
1 Finn harps always good crack with you boys in oriel
2 Derry city fans always had respect for after coming to the cup final and cheerin us on .
3 never seen cork but any games ive seen on the telly always sounds good crack ,
4 Longford are good when in the cup final .

And Galway boy your wroung if you think you lot only have drums , dublin city have one they just need fans now , and we have 2 , and you can see that on thursday night in mons picth .

Actually city have a bongo type thing it's not a drum and it makes very little sound.I guarantee our lot will be louder than yours in century homes on thursday. ;)How come yee don't bring them to away games?

MariborKev
21/06/2005, 10:06 PM

Cork are good when they come to Tolka for a big game, or if they're winning :p

Rovers always bring the numbers, but for my money the handful of Derry fans at the FAI cup game were louder!!!

I am assuming that you are referring to the Cup victory of last year, as in this year's win there were 1300 at the game, at least 250 of which were Derry fans.

harpskid
21/06/2005, 10:15 PM
Must have very big hands :D

Dave drummerboy
22/06/2005, 7:53 AM
Conor H , we usually do if we can make it , that game neither of us could go but were both going thurs night and we should make some noise , is there many of you lot heading up to it .

Bosco
22/06/2005, 1:19 PM
Was this the match in the Oval? Didn't think they done that well.
They're not great in general, but they'll give it a fair lash against Linfield.

They were terrible in the oval but down in flancare i thought they were amazing might have something to do with the fact that they had spent all day in the pub

Conor H
22/06/2005, 3:08 PM
Conor H , we usually do if we can make it , that game neither of us could go but were both going thurs night and we should make some noise , is there many of you lot heading up to it .

Im away at the moment so i don't know,but usually we have around 30 it might be difficult on a thursday night though.

dortie
22/06/2005, 3:15 PM
We had about 30-35 at last Cork game in Turners !!

For me best away fans in Brandy are.....

1 Rovers
2 St Pats

Anto McC
22/06/2005, 11:55 PM
1. Derry
2. Cork
3. St Pats

RedX
23/06/2005, 12:14 AM
I think Bohs and Rovers always made the best atmosphere in Turners X...

Reading Cosmo's messages above makes me laugh..when City fans get going at home they are very good..sometimes they can be quiet but i am sure the big all round crowd makes up for it..the shed is out on its own and the sound does not travel around the ground well so where we put away fans down in the corner its sounds fairly quiet..

Lux Interior
23/06/2005, 1:52 AM
They were terrible in the oval but down in flancare i thought they were amazing might have something to do with the fact that they had spent all day in the pub

"Terrible" best sums up our home support - even against Linfield.

The whole run down, wide-open appearance of the ground plus the matter of poor travelling support (and winning 14 out of 15 homes last season - air of inevitablity) contribute to a poor home effort.

Away, I feel we are untouchable.

And - yes - the combination of ale and a new ground (and - again - the matter of the 3-2 the previous Saturday) ensured that our trip to Flancare would be noisy.