PDA

View Full Version : smoking

exile
20/06/2005, 10:34 AM
trying to kick the habit reading allan carrs easyway at the moment just wondering as anyone here given up succsefully ?

Macy
20/06/2005, 10:41 AM
trying to kick the habit reading allan carrs easyway at the moment just wondering as anyone here given up succsefully ?
6 weeks off them since going to the Allen Carr clinic. Never read the book, but tried all the nicotine replacement therapy's without success (know why since the clinic).

Whilst it hasn't been that hard, still get pangs occasionally for them particularly last week for some reason, and at the Ireland match (first match since stopping, so a bit of a daze tbh - hence trying to avoid Conor and the other bástard cork chain smokers we were sat behind :D ).

Much better than the nicotine replacement therapies where all I could think about was cigs....

Can defo recommend the clinics if you're in that frame of mind to stop smoking. I now realise I never gave up the first time I was off them for 4 years, as I was still having the occasional weekend one....

Peadar
20/06/2005, 10:41 AM
just wondering as anyone here given up succsefully ?

My dad gave up a few years ago.
Just stopped one day and that was it.
No pills, no potions, no patches, just quit.
The body goes through a detox process for a year or so which makes you think the person is dying but it passes.
You just have to want to stop.
Not, just like the idea of stopping.

aido_b
20/06/2005, 10:52 AM
Never tried it myself but friends of mine just stopped smoking and that was it, they found that all the replcement therapies and nicotine patches made them think more about smoking so they just stopped. Try and get someone else to quit with you, that way you'll have someone to let off steam at!

Macy
20/06/2005, 10:52 AM
Whilst it may take a year for the body to fully detox, you get over the actual nicotine withdrawal much quicker than that (3-5 days). The rest of the withdrawal is mental rather than physical in terms of wanting to smoke. That's why nicotine replacement doesn't work...

Babysis
20/06/2005, 10:56 AM
I know someone who claims giving up smoking is meant to be up there with coming off crack - I wouldnt know about either.

Smoking is free choice admitteldy, but I think if anyone is ever waivering about giving up, you just need to look at the adverts showing the effects of smoking. They really are true.

For anyone giving up, I do wish you the best of luck. It is worth it

Eire06
20/06/2005, 10:59 AM
I just stopped!
Just ended one box and never bought any more!
Easy if you put your mind to it and have very strong willpower, smoking ban really really helps and the Irish Weather!! :rolleyes:

You have to keep yourself busy at all times for the first 3 to 4 weeks

Much fitter now, don't get short of breath so easily! No coughin in the morning anymore either :D

Macy
20/06/2005, 11:00 AM
Smoking is free choice admitteldy, but I think if anyone is ever waivering about giving up, you just need to look at the adverts showing the effects of smoking. They really are true.
And what do they make smokers reach for? People smoke when their stressed, so making them stressed about a horrible death just makes them smoke more. Smoking companies use the same threat in their adverts to sell more. Smokers know all that without graphic ad's.

exile
20/06/2005, 11:01 AM
6 weeks off them since going to the Allen Carr clinic. Never read the book, but tried all the nicotine replacement therapy's without success (know why since the clinic).

Can defo recommend the clinics if you're in that frame of mind to stop smoking. I now realise I never gave up the first time I was off them for 4 years, as I was still having the occasional weekend one....

is it dublin ?

Babysis
20/06/2005, 11:01 AM
I just stopped!
Easy if you put your mind to it smoking ban really really helps and the Irish Weather!! :rolleyes:

Much fitter now, don't get short of breath so easily! No coughin in the morning anymore either :D

Well done. It really is worth it. I never really realised the damage smoking casues. Im behind a ban in the work place here now as a result of seeing the effects.

Macy
20/06/2005, 11:04 AM
is it dublin ?
Yeah - they hold them at the red cow. www.easyway.ie if you want more info. Mention Newstalk when booking and you get €20 off too.

I suppose it's still too early to tell, but my previous record was about 6 hours.

Dricky
20/06/2005, 11:05 AM
Cold turkey, patience and support from your friends. Best way to give them up.

when you get a craving for them and oh my god you will, well it stops after about 5, 10 minutes.

off them 4 years, toughest thing I've done.

Your friends not reminding you your off them is also of help, many a time I felt like ripping the head off my friends, cause you'd have forgotten about them for days and then the pipe up ' how the quitting goin?"

That just reminds you that you want one really bad and you end up biting the heads off them for asking...... great fun.

Keep busy and replace the addiction with sport.

Best of Luck with it, the money you save is also a bonus, pays for the hols.

Macy
20/06/2005, 11:08 AM
Your friends not reminding you your off them is also of help, many a time I felt like ripping the head off my friends, cause you'd have forgotten about them for days and then the pipe up ' how the quitting goin?"

That just reminds you that you want one really bad and you end up biting the heads off them for asking...... great fun.
Now that is true, the ******** in this office askes me every other day, as he's on his way out to have a smoke. cnut. But then he is a ******** anyway....

Jim Smith
20/06/2005, 11:24 AM
Now that is true, the ******** in this office askes me every other day, as he's on his way out to have a smoke. cnut. But then he is a ******** anyway....
and the ****** knows exactly what he is doing and wants you to fail because he is an insecure gob****e.... good luck with it!

cullenswood
20/06/2005, 12:14 PM
You just have to want to stop.
Not, just like the idea of stopping.

I think that is the key...I gave up loads of times before I actually quit, but all those times, I never really wanted to give up, just thought it was the right thing to do. When I finally did quit, part of me actually wanted to. Also the smoking ban helped loads.

drinkfeckarse
20/06/2005, 12:18 PM
Read the Easyway book and as Macy says, it really was easy when you looked at how stupid your addiction was. Unfortunately while I was able to stay off them for months, I found that when I was out on the p!ss I didn't have enough willpower thus ensuring that eventually they crept back in.

I'm not a big smoker anyway (5-7) a day but that is bad enough I suppose and sometimes I'll not have any at all. Makes you feel more stupid because you know you're being a mug. Not sure if I'll read that book again though because that's twice I've done it and twice I couldn't go without one when I was drinking.

I suppose I'll probably try the clinic sometime but at the moment I'm not too bothered about it. Definately true that you have to be in the right frame of mind and want to give up.

Green Tribe
20/06/2005, 6:35 PM
I just stopped!
Easy if you put your mind to it and have very strong willpower, smoking ban really really helps and the Irish Weather!!

You have to keep yourself busy at all times for the first 3 to 4 weeks

Much fitter now, don't get short of breath so easily! No coughin in the morning anymore either

Nice one! Congrats! :D I am really anti-smoking, always have been, always will be, it's just vile. When people blow it in my face, it makes my blood boil. I was so happy when I went out to pubs in Monaghan and Dublin after the ban in Ireland, I was so proud that they had the courage to do it, Irish pub culture etc ( am quite annoyed Northern Ireland didn't follow suit soon after :mad:, and they still haven't confirmed anything, suppose it helps if you have an assembly :rolleyes: ) Hate pubs over here, smoke makes me bad-tempered.

One thing I have to say to smokers, I cannot understand how difficult it must be to come off them, thank God I have never had to try, I watched my Grandmother try in her later years, but she had been smoking since she was 18, so she found it impossible, and I know it cut her life short by about 10 years, she was so able and active for a 78 year old and should've lived to her late 80's like her non-smoking parents. Important thing I am trying to say is, give up now whilst you are young, it's so much more difficult 50+ and by then you've already done so much damage.

I always yap at close friends(none of my close family smoke thank God) to stop as I wished someone had yapped at my grandmother to stop when she was young... :(

Think of your health
Think of your family's health(if u smoke around them)
Think about how much money you will save too.
Your tastebuds come back to life again!
And you won't end up with a smelly yellow mouth when you are 50+ (this is one of the things that scared me as a child, family smokers in their 60's-70's wanting to hug and kiss me and it really scared me, rotten manky mouths.. :eek: aaaaahhhhhh!

Good luck to all those trying, well done to those who stopped, I admire you.

Sorry, just one more thing, I cannot believe the big deal over a smoking ban in England, why are they so stubborn about change, this is a positive change, they even think it is a big deal to have non-smoking pubs which serve food!! Jesus, wisen up!!!!!

hamish
20/06/2005, 8:01 PM
I always smoke more when Ireland play a competitive game - think I'll give up warching footie then the fags will go too.
I'm now on 40 to 50 a day!!! I'm ashamed to admit. :o

Gonna make an effort to stop from this Saturday.

Baker
20/06/2005, 9:23 PM
Im off them over two months after reading the Allen Carr book. It does feel strange but not difficult or depressing for the first few days after quitting. Just had to get used to doing things like watching a match, or waiting for a bus without having a smoke. Hardly think about them now, have had just the odd pang once or twice since when Ive had one drink too many but didnt light up. Definitely feel a million times better already.

However Ive used the Allan Carr book twice before so hopefully this will be the last time!!!

First read it about four years ago was didnt smoke for over 18 months and then one night at a party had a smoke and was was back on them a few weeks later. So I read it then again and didnt smoke for about a year when the same story happened again.

Even though I mightn't be the greatest advertisment for Allen Carr its the easiest way by a mile. After a few days you feel fine and its not anywhere near as hard as going cold turkey or nicorette gum(which made me sick). I think the problem Ive had before is that after a few months I just forget why I wanted to quit in the first place and the advice given in the book. So this time Im going to keep a hold of the book and have another read of it in six months or so as a reminder.

Plastic Paddy
20/06/2005, 9:27 PM

That's exactly how I quit. Half a day's hypnotherapy and the Allen Carr Easyway method. Six years on, from forty plus a day (plus *ahem* "herbal" rollies :rolleyes: ) to no fags at all. I also used their methods to help me coontrol my weight and I've lost four stone in the last year. It does work, but only if that's what you want. I've proved it twice.

:ball: PP

Green Tribe
20/06/2005, 9:47 PM
That's exactly how I quit. Half a day's hypnotherapy and the Allen Carr Easyway method. Six years on, from forty plus a day (plus *ahem* "herbal" rollies ) to no fags at all. I also used their methods to help me coontrol my weight and I've lost four stone in the last year. It does work, but only if that's what you want. I've proved it twice.

:ball: PP

Well done PP! :D Shame on you Hamish! ;) Jesus that's some puffing, however, I can imagine that during some Ireland games, especially the last 30 mins or so, one tends to sh!te themselves completely and I can't blame u for puffing your guts out.... :D

Macy
21/06/2005, 7:04 AM
Gotta say, people who've never smoked listing off reasons not to smoke is pretty pointless. Every smoker knows the health risks, financial etc; and when I was a smoker people telling me to stop just made me more determined to carry on out of spite.

You can't guilt people into stopping - the Government has been trying that for years. Only the smoker themselves can decide when is right for them...

I know you mean well, but believe me it doesn't help.

btw Martin and the smoking ban actually delayed me stopping. I was attempting, but once he introduced the ban I was "I'm not being told what to do by you corrupt fookers" and decided I wouldn't be part of his "success" stats...

Peadar
21/06/2005, 7:42 AM
Gonna make an effort to stop from this Saturday.

Why wait until Saturday?
The fact that you're not prepared to stop right now tells me that you're not really committed to stopping at all.
You may as well not bother and just continue to smoke away as usual.
:(

Macy
21/06/2005, 7:51 AM
Why wait until Saturday?
The fact that you're not prepared to stop right now tells me that you're not really committed to stopping at all.
:rolleyes: Do it whatever way it will work for you sir hamish...

Frank Blue
21/06/2005, 8:00 AM
I must be one of the lucky ones, as I just stopped in the end. I had stopped a few times prior, but each time starting and stopping, I found the smell and taste just more disgusting. In a way I do miss it, you know when out with friends, especially in the pub, or in the morning relaxing first thing whilst having a coffee. Still would not mind the odd cig, but don't think I'd enjoy it quite as much as I used to.

drinkfeckarse
21/06/2005, 8:32 AM
Macy, are you Allen Carr in disguise bacause you sound exactly like the book ;) :D

Macy
21/06/2005, 8:35 AM
Macy, are you Allen Carr in disguise bacause you sound exactly like the book ;) :D
Not meaning to be, just must be in my head at this stage.... Was actually planning on getting a refresher session as I found the last week tough (lots of drink/bad time of the year for me personally), but after this thread I think I'm okay :D

Babysis
21/06/2005, 8:49 AM
I think its right that people quit in their own time. Im not a smoker, never have been, but i know from friends how difficult it is to quit for some people.

Personally i will never smoke, purely because in the last 3 months I have seen the real damage it can do. Not only to the individual, but also their family and friends. Despite that im not gonna get on my high horse, its not my business. We all know the risks, as we do with drinking and drugs.

All i will say is i wish the best of luck to anyone trying to quit. It really is worth it in the long run.

Cosmo
21/06/2005, 9:39 AM
For the attention of macy and all the other quitters, the smoking ban is cool, always great craic going outside for a fag, good way of picking up chicks, ye should try it :D

seriously though, dont smoke that many ciggies, just with a few pints, used smoke all the time but cut that out, must give up totally some time :o

Drumcondra Red
21/06/2005, 10:00 AM
For the attention of macy and all the other quitters, the smoking ban is cool, always great craic going outside for a fag, good way of picking up chicks, ye should try it :D

seriously though, dont smoke that many ciggies, just with a few pints, used smoke all the time but cut that out, must give up totally some time :o

My thoughts exactly Cosmo, agree with all points!!! Only smoke with a pint these days though

hamish
21/06/2005, 5:59 PM
Well done PP! Shame on you Hamish! ;) Jesus that's some puffing, however, I can imagine that during some Ireland games, especially the last 30 mins or so, one tends to sh!te themselves completely and I can't blame u for puffing your guts out.... :D

:eek: :eek:

I'd rather puff than ****e myself = that some class of admission KT???? :D

hamish
21/06/2005, 6:05 PM
Why wait until Saturday?

Jesus Corky Boy, you're in bad form today - here and in the totty thread you're giving out to me :D

Understand you really but it worked that way for me before and I stayed off the fagarettes for FOUR years by picking a day and stopping. Everyone has their own way of doing it. I found the patch helpful that time as well and only used it for three days and forgot about it AND the fags!!!

Be patient Peadar - and to cheer you up I'll sing you a song.."where we sported and played...join in!! :D :p

jofyisgod
21/06/2005, 6:05 PM
:eek: :eek:

:D Just retain the image....

Good luck giving up sir hamish. You seem like a strong-willed guy I'm sure you'll do fine. I just never plan on starting-probably the best strategy of all :)

hamish
21/06/2005, 6:08 PM
:rolleyes: Do it whatever way it will work for you sir hamish...

er........thanks Macy but why the sarcastic logo???? You are not taking the
p!$$ by any chance are you?? :D

To all above sorry for the late reply - I was in bed when you lot were posting. Know what, there' so little of the day left to do anything after 2pm!! :D

Green Tribe
21/06/2005, 6:11 PM
Why don't you just say 'please don't blow smoke in my face'? After all, if I was lying on a beach and someone kicked sand in my face... ;)

Er, I always DO tell them, usually the look on my face says it all :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: Really stings my eyes, that is what makes me snap.. :D

hamish
21/06/2005, 6:20 PM
Er, I always DO tell them, usually the look on my face says it all :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: Really stings my eyes, that is what makes me snap.. :D

Bet if Clinton "Nancy Boy" Morrison did it you wouldn't give out!! heh heh :D

Green Tribe
21/06/2005, 6:22 PM

Ahem, sorry? :D Peadar is getting old, that's why he is getting grouchy, sure you'd understand that wouldn't ya Hamish...? ;) Heh heh. I think Macy was doing :rolleyes: to Peadar ?? I understand Macy, I know yapping at someone doesn't make it easier for them to stop the fags, it would annoy them even more, but i just can't help myself, and if someone told me to give over, fair enough, i wouldn't be offended. I know people have to want to stop and maybe if i could help them reach that decision, I will always try....I just know so many people who died of smoking related cancers and it is just nasty. :( An unnecessary evil really is smoking.

hamish
21/06/2005, 6:25 PM
Ahem, sorry? :D Peadar is getting old, that's why he is getting grouchy, sure you'd understand that wouldn't ya Hamish...? ;) Heh heh. I think Macy was doing :rolleyes: to Peadar ?? I understand Macy, I know yapping at someone doesn't make it easier for them to stop the fags, it would annoy them even more, but i just can't help myself, and if someone told me to give over, fair enough, i wouldn't be offended. I know people have to want to stop and maybe if i could help them reach that decision, I will always try....I just know so many people who died of smoking related cancers and it is just nasty. :( An unnecessary evil really is smoking.

Macy's an ok dude as is Peadar - just messing with them.

I kinda like the idea of being the elder Footieperson - reminds me of that REM video "Shiny Happy People" - y'know the old bloke in the corner smoking the pipe. :D

I'm not as old as him 'cos I look like Roger Glover, rock god. LOL

Green Tribe
21/06/2005, 6:26 PM
Bet if Clinton "Nancy Boy" Morrison did it you wouldn't give out!! heh heh

:eek: Ding ding Round 2!! :D If Clinton NB :eek: did it, he'd get a swift kick in the nuts, ok maybe that's too cruel, a good dig in the ribs then... :D

Or a good spanking! :eek:

onenilgameover
21/06/2005, 6:27 PM
Quitting is for the weak.....Smokers need to saty comitted and strong in these tryin and testing times..... :o