PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour

Macy
20/06/2005, 7:44 AM
Might have escaped people's attention, but TG4 have Le Tour De France this year. Live afternoons, and then highlights in the evening. No idea whether their own commentary or whether their buying it in. Can but hope for Phil Liggett and Paul Shewen.....

Aberdonian Stu
20/06/2005, 8:04 AM
Have they advertised it at all? I didn't see any ads for it. It's yet another strange sporting choice by TG4 which makes some good business sense.

Kids programmes, which are their afternoon mainstay for most of the year will be less in demand with a lot of their target audience on holiday. The Tour, like Wimbledon which they're also showing, is relatively cheap to broadcast as they are buying in the feed and the rights for a territory of this size are usually quite cheap.

While the main programme mightn't make much of a ratings impact the highlights show will probably be a useful performer in the ratings.

Macy
20/06/2005, 8:15 AM
Have they advertised it at all? I didn't see any ads for it. It's yet another strange sporting choice by TG4 which makes some good business sense.
I thought I heard it on RTE Radio, and it was confirmed on aertel page 216. There's a press release on the TG4 website, but a bit pointless for me :o

Aberdonian Stu
20/06/2005, 8:20 AM
Ah c'mon, surely you've wasted weekends (or in my case entire weeks) watching it on Eurosport? It's great to watch in the summer.

Macy
20/06/2005, 8:33 AM
Ah c'mon, surely you've wasted weekends (or in my case entire weeks) watching it on Eurosport? It's great to watch in the summer.
Yeah when I had Eurosport... College years especially - mountain stages when they had the whole stage were the best. Actually was trying to source an Analogue Sat Reciever for Eurosport International for the Le Tour (having missed the Giro). I could do with confirming whether the commentary will be in Irish or English before I make that leap...

I meant the press release being in Irish was a bit pointless for me...

gustavo
20/06/2005, 9:03 AM
is mark scanlon in it this year?

pete
20/06/2005, 9:12 AM
I'm unlikely to see much of the live action but will at least be good to get highlights at reasonable time in the evening.

Aberdonian Stu
20/06/2005, 9:21 AM
I meant the press release being in Irish was a bit pointless for me...

It's here (http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/corp/raitis/bea3.htm) in english.

Macy
20/06/2005, 9:28 AM
It's here (http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/corp/raitis/bea3.htm) in english.
Grand so... Still no mention of the commentary - still might try and get sorted for the David Duffield Wine Tour of France :D

Dublin12
20/06/2005, 3:41 PM
Do you do a bit of cycling then Macy?,I go up the mountains,around Sally Gap almost every Saturday,might pop into your gaff next time I get a puncture :p

Dodge
20/06/2005, 5:03 PM
is mark scanlon in it this year?
SStill 50/50. HIs team are but whether he's picked or not is a different story. Has had a bit of an injury hit year and has been lightly raced. A couple of decent results lately. His team mate Philip Deignan has a n outside shout too

Macy
21/06/2005, 7:48 AM
Do you do a bit of cycling then Macy?,I go up the mountains,around Sally Gap almost every Saturday,might pop into your gaff next time I get a puncture :p
ha ha, not anymore. Used to do a fair bit as hobby, but never competed...

Cyclists wouldn't be my favourites on those roads, as they seem incapable of riding single file. It may be a stand of principle to them, but imo it's just dangerous (and I would have sympathy to cyclists on the road).

Macy
04/07/2005, 9:02 AM
Just for those without the language, and with the channel, ITV2 are covering the tour - Ligget, Sherwen, Imlach and Boardman. Hour highlights at 7pm each evening, and I think live coverage at the weekends. Think it's repeated on ITV1 late on 11.30ish as well.

swinfordfc
04/07/2005, 10:39 AM
Mark Scalon in not in the tour this year

the 12 th man
04/07/2005, 10:52 AM
Think it's repeated on ITV1 late on 11.30ish as well.

tonight on itv 1 @ 11.30 combined hightlights of the first three days.
I'm lucky enough to have eurosport where i live so its live every day :cool:

hamish
04/07/2005, 11:06 AM
Betting odds?

Hoffman - La Roche...........2/1

Bayer......................5/1

Pfizer...........10/1

:D

Just messing, lads. ;)

Macy
04/07/2005, 11:30 AM
I'm lucky enough to have eurosport where i live so its live every day :cool:
I wouldn't be lucky enough to be off everyday to watch it....

deecay
05/07/2005, 10:39 AM
Pity about mark scanlon. would have been nice to have an irish representitive in the race but cest la vie :rolleyes:

hamish
05/07/2005, 2:05 PM
It's incredibly exciting when a race, eg Ras Tailteann, shoots through a town. Sometimes we get loads of cyclists passing by the house, here, in a race - the swoosh and sheer frenetic power has to be witnessed live to behold.
Shame, like Athletics, that those incredible efforts in the mountain sections etc are tainted with the possibility that those athletes are assisted by drugs. :(

swinfordfc
05/07/2005, 3:06 PM
As of yestarday, four usa riders in the top ten - with lemond and armstrong the american must be getting big into this sport :eek:

Gerrit
05/07/2005, 8:39 PM
Belgian's newest sensation Tom Boonen already won two laps and has the Green jersey :cool:

and Lance has the Yellow already :eek:

Macy
13/07/2005, 8:05 AM
This thread pretty much died? Anyone watching it? T Mobile really put it up to Armstrong yesterday after all the palava on Saturday.... Was Saturday really a bluff by Discovery, as had been suggested Saturday-Monday? Looks a possibility now....

Terry
13/07/2005, 8:44 AM
Belgian's newest sensation Tom Boonen already won two laps and has the Green jersey :cool:

and Lance has the Yellow already :eek:

Two laps ? :confused:

You mean to stages !!! :) ;)