PDA

View Full Version : why we will win the leauge

kevincronin2000
19/06/2005, 1:06 AM
1. last season shrlbourne averaged 1.9 points per game, this year city are averaging 2.3 points per game.

2. we can still loose 2 games and still be top of the leauge (on goal difference). I cant really see many teams beeting us but we should allow for a bad spell around our european games.

3. head to head we were by far the better team in our games against Derry and Shels.

patsh
19/06/2005, 11:49 AM
1. last season shrlbourne averaged 1.9 points per game, this year city are averaging 2.3 points per game.

2. we can still loose 2 games and still be top of the leauge (on goal difference). I cant really see many teams beeting us but we should allow for a bad spell around our european games.

3. head to head we were by far the better team in our games against Derry and Shels.
1. Any team that manages to keep up that average will win the league.
2. We WILL get a bad spell. If it's as bad as $hels, we won't win the league.
3. Both teams suffered badly from injuries in both games. Each side can be much better than when we played against them.

ollie
19/06/2005, 12:27 PM
4.its very early in the season yet.there will be a lot of twists and turns in the league before the end.
5.how will we cope when we are playing in europe etc.

pete
19/06/2005, 12:46 PM
I remain unconvinced that we will score goals regularily are totally relying on O'Flynn to score a big percentage. If we still had Doyler i would agree we have one hand on the cup. IMO Midfield & Forward options are very limited.

kevincronin2000
19/06/2005, 1:21 PM
but we have a few quid to spend if needs be.

superfrank
19/06/2005, 2:12 PM
From what I saw Friday night yez need a striker that can link effectively with O'Flynn, I don't think Fenn is that great. But then again now that he has scored he might go on a scoring spree! ;)

Troy.McClure
19/06/2005, 3:31 PM
but we have a few quid to spend if needs be.

Dont think so :( All the money that we got from Doyle went in to Dolans settlement and compensating St Pats, so theres not really much left for new players :(

Anyway, lets not get carried away, there's still half a season left! I remember the year that Foot and Mouth was out and the league was stopped for a while, Shels came from way behind to win the league from Bohs, and I dont think that I have to mention Newcastle Utd :eek:

dancinpants
19/06/2005, 7:52 PM

Now thats optimism...after only 13 games too!!!

1) Comparing a 36 game average to a 13 game average is ludicrous

2) Depends how many you lose by and how many we win by

3) EVERYBODY is catching Shels at a really good time at the moment, plus 3 players of ours went off injured against youse (not sayin' we would've won or anything, but it certainly didn't help)

Partizan
19/06/2005, 11:27 PM
Now thats optimism...after only 13 games too!!!

1) Comparing a 36 game average to a 13 game average is ludicrous

2) Depends how many you lose by and how many we win by

3) EVERYBODY is catching Shels at a really good time at the moment, plus 3 players of ours went off injured against youse (not sayin' we would've won or anything, but it certainly didn't help)

thats why we love those C/\wkies :p

RedX
19/06/2005, 11:59 PM
thats why we love those C/\wkies :p

I know where Waterford are heading...... :D

Peadar
20/06/2005, 8:17 AM
We wont win the league if players start believing the hype and think the job is done. We're just over 1/3 of the way through the league and need to just keep doing what we're doing.
When the results came in on Friday, I got a flashback to the season when Rico left. We were flying and confidence was high.
I haven't felt like this in a long time but I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground. We've a long way to go yet and Shels aren't out of it by any stretch of the imagination.

pete
20/06/2005, 9:09 AM
When the results came in on Friday, I got a flashback to the season when Rico left. We were flying and confidence was high.

Me too. When Rico was asked by city when the last time City were clear at top of table he replied "When i was manager last..." ;)

Éanna
20/06/2005, 9:16 AM
I'm convinced we will win the league this season and have been since last season. That said, we have to take it easy and keep our feet on the ground, especially the players- and judging by Rico's comments in the papers he's just the man to do that

patsh
20/06/2005, 9:48 AM
And we have had a high profile departure during the season as well.....

Scary....:D

Troy.McClure
20/06/2005, 10:43 AM
+ a manager that left the club because of "lack of ambision from the club".

Ooo the parallels :p

tiktok
20/06/2005, 10:47 AM
Ooo the parallels :p

hopefully that's where they end, we won nothing that year :p

Dricky
20/06/2005, 11:37 AM
1/3of the season done, top of the table and playing well.

What if the fighting in Shels stops and the players start getting on? they will put in a good charge as will Bohs Derry and Drogs so it's too early to be claiming the title.

It will make it even more interesting............

pete
20/06/2005, 12:12 PM
IMo it is an advantage to us that Derry & maybe Bohs start challenging as will make it harder for Shel$ to put a run together.

Going to be a strange league with Bohs, City & Shel$ all with games in hand at different stages of the season.

Éanna
20/06/2005, 12:32 PM
IMo it is an advantage to us that Derry & maybe Bohs start challenging as will make it harder for Shel$ to put a run together.

exactly. If we were out in front and it was just shels with a chance of catching us, then the pressure is all on us. If 2 or 3 other teams are challenging, it keeps some of the pressure off us

Peadar
20/06/2005, 12:53 PM
Going to be a strange league with Bohs, City & Shel$ all with games in hand at different stages of the season.

I think that we saw last season how fixture pile-up affected us more than the other teams given that the Intertoto games are scheduled for weekends.
I think a good run in the Intertoto could prove the downfall of Bohs in the League, given their lack of strength in depth.
Shels wont get past the first qualifying round on this form.

I'm sure most City fans would sacrifice a run in the UEFA Cup for a league title.

tiktok
20/06/2005, 12:55 PM
I'm sure most City fans would sacrifice a run in the UEFA Cup for a league title.

I'd still like to think we'll get past the first round, but the league is definitely the priority

jorge
20/06/2005, 1:08 PM
For Shells to win it!I doubt it.

pete
20/06/2005, 1:13 PM
I'd still like to think we'll get past the first round, but the league is definitely the priority

Seeding will obviously have a big part but i think minimum expected is that we will get past 1st qualifying round & see what happens from there.

Éanna
20/06/2005, 1:33 PM
Once we get through one round and don't embarass ourselves, I'll be happy. The league is the important thing though.

thecorner
20/06/2005, 2:00 PM

i would :D

razor
20/06/2005, 2:05 PM
I'd sacrifice Pat Dolan for a league title. ;) :D

Dricky
20/06/2005, 2:27 PM

I wonder has BL beatean you to it???? ;)

Peadar
20/06/2005, 2:34 PM
I wonder has BL beatean you to it???? ;)

You'd better stay away from his steak pies, just in case like. ;)

Troy.McClure
20/06/2005, 2:35 PM

LOL. :D

pete
23/06/2005, 9:08 PM
I know i'm setting myself up to be disappointed but...our form has really been special this season & is really only a continuation from last season.

If combine games works out at

23 games

17 wins
5 draws
1 loss
56 points from possible 69!

If do one of those form lists:

WWWWWWDWWDWDWDWLWWDWWWW.

Unreal. Talk about a winning habit!

Éanna
23/06/2005, 11:44 PM
Just another thing to point out on our recent form. If you take our last 33 league games (i.e. one season's worth):
Won 20
Drawn 8
Lost 5
For 51
Against 21

Sounds like league winning form too!

patsh
24/06/2005, 6:35 AM
Thats all very well, but this form has to be in one season for it to make it happen for us.

I hate being pessimistic, but I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves and I fear the inevitable fall.....:(

Rebal Boy
24/06/2005, 6:21 PM
I've a great feeling this can be City's year, but I do agree with Patsh. We shouldn't go too far ahead of our selves. July is going to be a very big month for us. U.C.D on July 1st is going to be a very hard game. They always make life hard for City and us. I think if we beat U.C.D we will be on a roll. Just take it one game at a time.