PDA

View Full Version : Limerick 1-2 Sligo

The Stars
17/06/2005, 8:56 PM
F*cking brilliant result.Would have settled for a point before the game but with Paul McTiernan we were always going to win.Remember the Limerick fans saying he wouldn't get a sniff with Finnucane around,shows what he knew.
Dublin drawing aswell............TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!

red arrow
17/06/2005, 9:11 PM
fair play, great result. the team deserve a big crowd on tue eve. sligo rovers should now be pumping the local radio station about game on tues to get numbers up and with cobh on sat night the momentum seems to be growing. would love to know what team we had out and match report any chance of getting one fairly quick. also fair play to all those who travelled yee deserve a clap on the back. it looks like a lot of those who write on the board went to game. come on gary get that drum beating loud for rest of season

4tothefloor
17/06/2005, 10:24 PM
Well the game was dominated by Limerick. Sligo scored two sucker punches. The first half was fairly even, with few chances. Yer 'keeper made a superb save from point blank range when Robbie Kelliher was clean through early on. Sligo then had a good spell of possession, and scored, very poor defending from Limerick. Limerick should have equalised straight from the kick-off when Robbie Kelliher was put straight through again, but he squared to CP O'Brien instead of shooting himself, which resulted in the chance being smothered by the keeper. Limerick equalised from a set-piece about 5 minutes later when Tommy Barret headed home. It was a soft goal to be fair.

The second half was completely dominated by Limerick from start to finish. CP O'Brien missed an absolute sitter from 8 yards after a great ball from Derek McCarthy. The Sligo keeper made made some more superb saves to keep ye in the game, most notably from a Derek McCarthy header and a Donnelan free-kick. Limerick created a lot of chances from crosses out wide but nobody got on the end of them. Sligo had the ball in the net when Mooney fumbled a high ball, but it was ruled out for offside, harshly IMO. Sligo scored with their only other attack of the second half, again terrible defending from Limerick allowing the Sligo striker to score after failing to clear. Ye had a man rightly sent-off for a second yellow card. Limerick pulverised Sligo for the remainder but couldn't find the net.

Thats it in short. Great result for you lot, but consider yourselves lucky. Your keeper was man-of-the-match, and ye took yer goals very well it has to be said. We're lacking a cutting edge up front, and a number of things at the back, both cost us tonight. Well done anyway lads on the win

Shiba
17/06/2005, 11:08 PM
What a Brillant result!It doesn't matter how you win as long as you win.Top of the league feels great!

1 9 2 8
18/06/2005, 12:22 AM
Just back from Limerick what a game I don't know how we one it :D . John O'Hara was man-of-the-match. Seán Flannery had a goal disallowed for off side but even the Limerick fans around me saw nothing wrong with it :rolleyes: We where very very lucky to win the game. It was good to see so many Rovers supporters at the game too

red arrow
18/06/2005, 6:39 AM
just a quick thank you to the limerick lad for a very good match report

Rory H
18/06/2005, 10:51 AM
magnificent..people were complaining about the goalscoring..well as the limerick fan said we took our chances....

very happy....top o the league!!

deecay
18/06/2005, 10:57 AM
Doe anyone remember the last time when we were top of the First Division by ourselves?

Redzer
18/06/2005, 10:58 AM
We really rode our luck last night. In fairness to Linerick I thought they deserved something from this game. John O'Hara is the best keeper in this division. He was fantastic. He saved us more times, from point blank shots. His display last night was supburb. There was a camera there so I'd guess there's a chance the highlights will be on TV3.
McT took his goal well. Flannery got a fantastic goal, it was disallowed for offside but that was a terrible decision. Super sub Feeney was only on the pitch when he scored. Again a great bit of skill to beat two defenders and the keeper.
Well worth the trip down. We were very tired towards the end , but sonehow held out. Gorman sent off, although his first booking was harsh. didn't help. Limerick bombarded us from all angles. But John O'hara kept them out with save after save. Brillient.
Limerick will be there or there abouts at the end season. They are the best team out from ourselves IMO.

Rory H
18/06/2005, 11:04 AM
We really rode our luck last night. In fairness to Linerick I thought they deserved something from this game. John O'Hara is the best keeper in this division. He was fantastic. He saved us more times, from point blank shots. His display last night was supburb. There was a camera there so I'd guess there's a chance the highlights will be on TV3.
McT took his goal well. Flannery got a fantastic goal, it was disallowed for offside but that was a terrible decision. Super sub Feeney was only on the pitch when he scored. Again a great bit of skill to beat two defenders and the keeper.
Well worth the trip down. We were very tired towards the end , but sonehow held out. Gorman sent off, although his first booking was harsh. didn't help. Limerick bombarded us from all angles. But John O'hara kept them out with save after save. Brillient.
Limerick will be there or there abouts at the end season. They are the best team out from ourselves IMO.

im happy gorman got sent off...1 match ban :)

they must have been tired

at least 6 changes 4 tuesday

Redzer
18/06/2005, 11:17 AM
I meant to say, that we had a good crowd down. Prob around 50. I'D guess about 700 at the game. Both teams tried to play good football. Oh, and Jason was training for the mini marathon all evening ;) ;) ;)

Rory H
18/06/2005, 11:22 AM
you didnt see sean connor around anywhere no???

i :p

Petmuller
18/06/2005, 11:38 AM
We are top of the league, we are top of the league.

Lads, Limerick deserved nothing from this game, absolutely nothing!!!
We have the best defence in the league, we have the best keeper in the National League, both divisions. We played to our strengths and in Paul McTiernan we have the best forward in the league. Of course the blues threw everything at us that's to be expected. They just couldn't break us down and it was the real test we expected it to be. Going down there I and most would have been happy with a share of the spoils, everyone except Sean Connor that is. This guy is the business lads, the business and that's rich I know coming from me :p
One thing I got great satisfaction from last night was to witness the return of the super blues as a force in Irish soccer. They have finally got their act together and I'd expect they will be even bigger after the transfer window reopens in July. I spoke with a few lads 'in the know' down there and things are really looking up for them. They certainly will push us all the way for the honours this seaon.
Colin Heffernan was at the game also, didn't get a chance to say hello.

Redzer
18/06/2005, 1:16 PM
you didnt see sean connor around anywhere no???

i :p

Nowhere to be seen I'm afraid :D Heard he was stuck in traffic in Ennis, couldn't make the game. Shame :rolleyes:

Mayo Red
18/06/2005, 4:33 PM
Great result, and real end to end stuff. I couldn't believe Flannery's goal was offside, very harsh. Good to see a decent crowd turn out for Limerick and they will definately be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, but very impressed with the way we held out for the points. How many times have we been in that position before and let in a late equaliser! Also, whatever you may think of G, his sending-off was very harsh. For his first yellow it should have been a Sligo throw, and when he went to take it quickly the Limerick player seemed to elbow him! What did ye make of the Limerick chance from their tip-off after McT's goal? I've never seen anything like it before, it'll be interesting to see if they show it on Tv3 but I could have sworn we had players in Limerick's half still celebrating. Great stop from O'Hara though. I heard Foley saying to the ref something like "Oh come on, have you ever seen a goal scored like that before"! Ref could have gone a bit easier on the old Brylcream aswell!

4tothefloor
18/06/2005, 6:02 PM
They just couldn't break us down

Hmm, what about the 3 sitters we missed - 2 from Robbie Kelliher and one from CP O'Brien? You're keeper wouldn't have had to make oint blank saves, nor would he be regarded as man-of-the-match if we couldn't break ye down! At least be fair when your talking about the game. on another night Limerick would have scored 3 or 4....

BTW, that camera is always at every home Limerick game. As far as I know, it's a Chorus TV camera. The highlights are shown on that channel down this way, TV3 never show any highlights from Limerick, even though they're available :rolleyes:

Petmuller
18/06/2005, 7:09 PM
Hmm, what about the 3 sitters we missed - 2 from Robbie Kelliher and one from CP O'Brien? You're keeper wouldn't have had to make oint blank saves, nor would he be regarded as man-of-the-match if we couldn't break ye down! At least be fair when your talking about the game. on another night Limerick would have scored 3 or 4....

Correct me if I'm wrong 4tothefloor but isn't the goalkeeper part of the team's defence as well? Our keeper did all asked of him and so proved to be the best in the league.
The fact that your side missed 3 sitters (as you say) has no real bearing on the result. It's balls in the net that count :p

Ye played very well, I'm happy for ye. I did say ye'll be a force to deal with after the transfer window opens I can't be more fairer than that.

Da Real Rover
19/06/2005, 10:38 AM
Great result, what are the odds now on Saint Paul becoming the top goalscorer in the division.

sligoman
19/06/2005, 8:42 PM
Oh, and Jason was training for the mini marathon all evening ;) ;) ;)

I dont think anyone who was'nt at the match will know what you mean but yes I noticed that too, very funny :D

sligoman
19/06/2005, 8:43 PM
Seen Conal Murtagh training with the subs at half time, he does seem fairly decent, hopefully we can get him to stay

Kerry Blue
20/06/2005, 4:27 AM
i taught that sligo played some guy from barbados called Alvin Rouse or something, never heard of a goalkeeper called O'hara, is he a young pretender or an old fella :o and were did u sign him from or is he a product of a top-noch sligo youth facility :rolleyes:
I was told by my workmate, who's from Sligo, that he was signed from the Mayo league. He looks a great signing. One of the reasons why Sligo got all 3 points. Can't argue with the result. It was a good game of football. Plenty of passing and well worked moves. Unfortunately for us, Sligo took their chances, we didn't. Would love to see both teams go up, but we have a lot of work to do to maintain our position now (and improve it).

garykelly
20/06/2005, 8:29 AM
O'Hara is from Mayo, but he was signed following a scolarship he did in America. His brother does be on here so maybe when he sees this he can clear it all up for us. An excellent shot-stopper and has been the difference this season. Must have been worth at least 5 points already this season.

garykelly
20/06/2005, 11:21 AM
for excellent match pics against limerick taken by Michael Melly see the trust website

www.thebitored.org

Da Real Rover
20/06/2005, 5:00 PM
. fair f*cks to paul, he's a goal machine&prob 2nd best striker in 1st div. no.1 bein flannery. der is absolutely no questioning it
Im sure theres a few people here that would have a different opinion to that, including meself.

sligoman
20/06/2005, 5:04 PM
Im sure theres a few people here that would have a different opinion to that, including meself.

And me too, red til dead seems to be obsessed with Flannery, the poor fella :rolleyes:

1 9 2 8
20/06/2005, 5:38 PM
I can believe no one has mentioned the ref, and the restarting of the game after the first Sligo Goal
Yeah great save from O'Hara after our 1st goal

Petmuller
20/06/2005, 5:42 PM
Flannery is a class act let there be no doubt about it.
Anyone that thinks otherwise should study the lad during a game. His workrate is phenomenal. When it comes to scoring goals I think Paul is better but Paul's workrate off the ball wouldn't be on a par to Flannery. Yet both players compliment each other. The 'goal' flannery scored in Limerick only he could score. This partnership will take us all the way to the premier division.

roversforever
20/06/2005, 5:48 PM
Flannery is a class act let there be no doubt about it.
Anyone that thinks otherwise should study the lad during a game. His workrate is phenomenal. When it comes to scoring goals I think Paul is better but Paul's workrate off the ball wouldn't be on a par to Flannery. Yet both players compliment each other. The 'goal' flannery scored in Limerick only he could score. This partnership will take us all the way to the premier division.
fully agree,i think petmuller summed it up well there.i don't understand these people who criticise sean.he works so hard and is technically good for such a big man.paul has so much class but you can't compare the two players because they are completely different players but are a great combination.

DonalE
21/06/2005, 5:14 PM
I agree lads,think Sean is a great player. Works very hard and his partnership with Paul is paying off. Think people are too quick to criticise him,if only they'd watch more carefully.Also trying to flick on headers or hold up the play is not an easy job.

Da Real Rover
21/06/2005, 5:17 PM
Im not criticising Sean at all, im just saying that if i wer a manager and had a choice between the 2, i would pick Paul every time. Sean is still a good player, no questioning that.

sligoman
21/06/2005, 11:06 PM
Speaking after last Friday’s defeat of Limerick – Rovers’ seventh win of their eircom League First Division campaign – Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor felt that it was a huge victory for his side.
But he was left fuming by some poor officiating which saw a goal disallowed for Sean Flannery and Gareth Gorman sent off. “It is a massive three points because we have come here [Limerick] to play against a very organised side with a very definite game plan. They wanted to try and do damage from set pieces and they were very dangerous all night.
“Then we went down to ten men and I thought the refereeing was poor and that is being nice. If I really said what I wanted to say about the referee then I would be in trouble with the FAI – but then that is what this is all about. It is about men in suits trying to make decisions when they would want to come here and watch some of the decisions,” stated Connor.
“Gareth Gorman’s sending off was absolutely disgraceful and Sean
Flannery’s ‘goal’ was a very good ‘goal’ – but we have dealt with that adversity.
“We worked hard and we deserved the three points and now we are opening up a bit of a gap, between Dublin City, ourselves and the rest of them.”
It was a good week for Rovers, who booked their place in the third round of the FAI Cup with a win in their second round replay against Malahide and they then followed that up only days later with the important win against Limerick.
Connor wants to keep his side in the winning frame of mind and continue to take things one game at a time.
“It is tremendous. I was reading in the Irish Daily Star today [Friday] that we are top of the ‘league table’ for form since the defeat against Monaghan.
“That is 11 games unbeaten since that defeat, so we just want to keep on winning. It is a habit. I think my squad this week has been magnificent. We have worked hard.
“I have always said I have got a strong squad and we have proved it over this week. We have just got to knuckle down and we mustn’t get carried away. We have got a game against Longford and then a very important game against Cobh [at The Showgrounds] and that is what we have got to focus on – one game at a time and let us see where it takes us.”
The past few weeks have shown not only the strength in depth in the Rovers squad, but also the great versatility of some of the players, with Fahrudin Kudozovic able to play anywhere across the midfield and Rafael Cretaro currently filling at right back.
Connor maintains that this highlights the great spirit at the club, with everyone fighting for positions in the starting 11.
“I think of the 24 senior players that I have, there are players who are injured that we haven’t even mentioned. I think they can all do a job at this level and they are all fighting for places and that is why the team spirit is the way it is at this club.
“Everybody knows that we have a good side and you have to play well to stay in the team – if you don’t play well you come out and someone else goes in and they can go just as good a job. So it is really up to the players to keep playing at a high standard.”

Sligo Weekender (http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=23591)

sligoman
21/06/2005, 11:08 PM
“Then we went down to ten men and I thought the refereeing was poor and that is being nice. If I really said what I wanted to say about the referee then I would be in trouble with the FAI – but then that is what this is all about. It is about men in suits trying to make decisions when they would want to come here and watch some of the decisions,” stated Connor.
“Gareth Gorman’s sending off was absolutely disgraceful and Sean
Flannery’s ‘goal’ was a very good ‘goal’ – but we have dealt with that adversity.

He's ****ing right there anyways. Referees this season have been terrible and it's about time those "men in suits" realised it.