PDA

View Full Version : Tim Henman: will it finally happen in Wimbledon ?

Gerrit
17/06/2005, 5:01 PM
Maybe make this into a poll with options
- not a chance
- yes, he wins Wimbledon
- he will strand in the semi's again

Wimbledon coming up and that means the whole of England (and by extention probably the whole British Isles) will be overflown with Henmania again. It's been like this every year, but it seems the pressure of the hopes of a whole nation are too heavy to bear, as Henman stranded in the quarter/semi finals every year for the last 5 seasons or so.
Will it finally happen this year ? Does anyone give Henman a chance of winning Wimbledon ?

If not, who is the one that is most likely to lift the trophy according to the forummers here ?

I'm a tennis fan, it's my favourite sport but football. Think Federer is by far the most talented player of this generation, as he performs well on all surfaces. Still, think Henman has a decent chance, I can't help thinking it's the pressure that makes it harder for him than it should be. He surely has the skills to win it...

the 12 th man
17/06/2005, 5:09 PM
not a chance.
would'nt know who's going to win but defo not him

De Town
17/06/2005, 6:10 PM
There is more chance of winning the Lotto tomorrow night than Henman winning Wimbledon.

gustavo
17/06/2005, 7:07 PM
he has a chance but you have to feel sorry for him the amount of pressure he is under every year its a shame cos i think hes probably the best player around over the last five years that haasnt won a major title

Superhoops
17/06/2005, 8:51 PM
.....cos i think hes probably the best player around over the last five years that haasnt won a major title
Because he is a bottler!

Green Tribe
18/06/2005, 7:58 PM
Not a hope, more chance of me marrying Clinton, and the odds are severlely sh!te on that unfortunately... :o :( :rolleyes:

He is way overrated, and is just something for the wimbledoners to get excited about while scoffing their strawberries and cream..... :D

Green Tribe
18/06/2005, 8:01 PM
he has a chance but you have to feel sorry for him the amount of pressure he is under every year its a shame cos i think hes probably the best player around over the last five years that haasnt won a major title

Maybe the British should learn from one of the worst mistakes they all make in sporting competitions, stop bragging and boasting before hand, claiming to have the whole thing won (not talking about tim himself) before it starts. Keep your gob shut, that's the best way...... :D

Risteard
18/06/2005, 8:28 PM
There really is no chance of him winning it.
None.
Its not going to happen like.

Even the womens tennis is getting a bit boring to watch now.
They can all hit the ball too hard.

Green Tribe
18/06/2005, 9:22 PM
There really is no chance of him winning it.
None.
Its not going to happen like.

Even the womens tennis is getting a bit boring to watch now.
They can all hit the ball too hard.

I disagree about the women's tennis, I think this year's wimbledon will be a hard fought one for the women, so many capable of winning it and I think there will be a surprise finalist.

jorge
18/06/2005, 11:08 PM
Theres too much preshure on him,they (The english) should shut up let him playand see what happens.

jofyisgod
19/06/2005, 12:14 PM
Theres too much preshure on him,they (The english) should shut up let him playand see what happens.

Agree 100%. I'd just like to see the man silence all the gobshítes for once, and win the fecking tournament.

Always a good two weeks in front of the TV, though...

Plastic Paddy
19/06/2005, 12:25 PM
Agree 100%. I'd just like to see the man silence all the gobshítes for once, and win the fecking tournament

Well said, although I fear there's more chance of crápping in the Queen's handbag than there is of Tiger Timmy winning Wimbledon. He had his chance the year he played Goran Ivanisevic in the semis and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when the match restarted after an overnight rain-break (he had been 2 sets to 1 ahead but contrived to lose the final two). He's too old now, and Federer's too good on grass as well as clay, to expect anything much.

:ball: PP

jofyisgod
19/06/2005, 3:39 PM
Well said, although I fear there's more chance of crápping in the Queen's handbag than there is of Tiger Timmy winning Wimbledon.

:ball: PP

Well, Her Majesty is on Her way to my Borough of London in the next few weeks. Maybe i could try my luck?! :D

Closed Account 2
20/06/2005, 1:05 AM
No chance whatsoever. The guy just doesnt have the mentality, they could give Sue Barker a racket and she'd have more of a chance of winning this years mens final than Henman.

Henman just isnt a world class tennis player... Boris Becker, McEnroe, Sampras, Agassi, Ivanisevic, Federer... Henman isnt in the same league.

Macy
20/06/2005, 8:32 AM
Henman is a good player - as his world ranking shows. However, not good enough to win a Grand Slam event.

Haven't they changed the balls or something to try and slow down the grass court game? Not ideal for a serve volley player like Henman....

PaulB
20/06/2005, 8:46 AM
Not the biggest tennis fan, but must say I wouldn't mind if Tim won it. Guys like Federer and Roddick are just so boring. Okay, it's not as bad as the days of Chang -v- Courier (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz), but I wish for some budding McEnroe or Becker or Edberg or Cash or even, more recently, Rafter to come through and liven things up again...

I wouldn't call federer boring, he's not a Sampras, roddick, huge server type player..

Conor H
21/06/2005, 12:14 AM
Henman is every year the man who's going to win a grandslam for the english and yet every year he looses to a nobody,bar a few exceptions.

onenilgameover
21/06/2005, 3:11 AM
eh???? NO!

But it 'ill be great watchin him lose pathetically again.... :)

ciaran76
23/06/2005, 2:18 PM
Robbed from another forum but made me laugh anyway !!! :p

London. 2nd June. With just under three weeks to go until the start of Wimbledon, Tim Henman has said he’s confident of repeating his past performances of woeful inadequacy. Fresh from romping home to defeat at the French Open last week the British No.1 has once again set his sights on a triumphant first round exit at The All England Tennis Club Finals which begin on 19th June.

Speaking at his training camp in Woking he said, “My huge legion of blindly optimistic fans can rest assured that I’ll have crashed out of the tournament by Day 2. I’ve been working hard on several aspects of my game such as clenching my fist if I happen to win a point, looking very cross if a call doesn’t go my way, and clapping forlornly in the crowd’s direction after I’ve lost.”

The sight of literally tens of Union Jack-clad fans loitering outside Centre Court may soon be a thing of the past – speculation is rife that this year will be Henman’s last appearance at SW19. Having been on the international tennis scene for ten years, the victory-shy star has gloriously perpetuated Britain’s dismal record in the sport by failing to register a single Grand Slam success, a feat he’s keen to be remembered for after he retires, “Apart from miraculously getting to the semi-final a few years ago I think I’ve been pretty consistent in my tennis. The British public expect me to talk myself up before a game, maybe scrape a rare victory against an unknown wildcard entrant and then bravely roar to a loss whenever I come up against half-decent opposition. I can’t give them anything but failure at the end of my career.”

Henman’s win-starved campaign has not been without controversy. Having recovered from a triple charisma bypass operation in the early nineties he was then the subject of a year’s ban from Wimbledon after hitting a ball girl during one of his regular hissy fits, “I wasn’t aiming for her,“ insists Henman, “but when have I ever managed to hit anything I was actually aiming for?”

David McDavids, Chairman of The England Tennis Association, played down the effect of the British No.1’s retirement from the game, “Tim has been a loyal servant, courageously sacrificing himself over the years, but we’ve plenty of young and exciting no-hopers coming up through the ranks of our youth academy. I can assure you they’ll carry on his, and Greg Rusedski’s legacy of complete and utter uselessness.”

fosterdollar
23/06/2005, 3:31 PM
Tim Henman: will it finally happen in Wimbledon ?

Will it ****!

Simple as.

ciaran76
23/06/2005, 4:58 PM
He really is bad. Don't know how he manages to stay in the top 10 of the world. Suppose he gets to alot of q/f and semi's then bottles it !!!! :o

Frank Blue
23/06/2005, 6:07 PM
Glad he's out, but then again I can't stand tennis, as it is a sport filled with over priviledged children climbing the ranks then becoming 'professionals' as adults. Even that weak chinned 'Rupert' Jeremy Bates, that got all the gormless forelock tugging idiots cheering at Wimbledon before Henman, made a few million. And what the F did he do?

jofyisgod
23/06/2005, 6:23 PM
Glad he's out, but then again I can't stand tennis, as it is a sport filled with over priviledged children climbing the ranks then becoming 'professionals' as adults.

That post is without a doubt the biggest crock of shít I've ever read.

"over priveleged"-Bollócks. I know many people who play tennis at my school to a high level who are from from 'over priveleged'. I doubt you even know anyone who plays tennis.

If you can't stand it, why are you 'glad he's out'.

Look out your window mate, at the real world, not this stereotypical one you appear to exist in. As I'm Irish, I'm just off to wear green and make tea and say prayers, etc. :rolleyes:

Frank Blue
23/06/2005, 6:30 PM
That post is without a doubt the biggest crock of shít I've ever read.

"over priveleged"-Bollócks. I know many people who play tennis at my school to a high level who are from from 'over priveleged'. I doubt you even know anyone who plays tennis.

If you can't stand it, why are you 'glad he's out'.

Look out your window mate, at the real world, not this stereotypical one you appear to exist in. As I'm Irish, I'm just off to wear green and make tea and say prayers, etc. :rolleyes:

Eh? What are you on? Of course anyone can play, but if you look at the players at the top of the game, they usually tend to come from fairly well off backgrounds/families. Most 'normal' people cant afford to struggle around for a few years, even if they have played for many years at school. It takes financial backing, and that is usually from mummy and daddy.
Many tennis clubs around this part of the world, but again it doesnt just take time, dedication and talent, it takes some serious financial backing from the families. How many people have that opportunity?

jofyisgod
23/06/2005, 6:35 PM
It takes financial backing, and that is usually from mummy and daddy.

That doesn't necessarily mean the parents are well-off. Look at Maria Sharapova, living in relative poverty in Nyagan, Siberia, but was lucky to get spotted and trained in America. Her Dad had to work his árse off to pay for it, and i think it was part-subsidised.

You made a wrong, poorly-phrased sweeping generalisation which clearly is not true.

fosterdollar
24/06/2005, 9:12 AM
Tim Henman: will it finally happen in Wimbledon ?

Will it ****!

Simple as.
I feel so vindicated

Macy
24/06/2005, 9:15 AM
Tennis is what the foxhunting fraternity do during the summer. FACT.

fosterdollar
24/06/2005, 9:19 AM
Tennis is what the foxhunting fraternity do during the summer. FACT.
Put on your Reeboks man, go play fúcking tennis