PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Setanta place for LC Winners or 4th in Lge?

Shelsman
17/06/2005, 12:58 PM
Should the 4th eL place in the next Setanta Cup go to the League Cup Winners?
The Irish League are giving the 4th place to their League Cup ( CIS ) winners -so i think we should do the same to keep it even. It would also make the League Cup more important and would even allow first division teams a chance to get the the Setanta Cup. Imagine the crowds that would turn up if a team like Sligo or Galway got into it. Cool.

patsh
17/06/2005, 1:00 PM
Should the 4th eL place in the next Setanta Cup go to the League Cup Winners?
Not this season. Some clubs are already gone out, (though not much of a chance of winning it), so unfair to decide to give a place to the winners now.
Next season, yes.

superfrank
17/06/2005, 1:01 PM
It has to go to the LC winners otherwise it might as well be called the "Give your first teamers a rest and play some youths for experience" cup!

Sorry I got a bit carried away! :o

Shelsman
17/06/2005, 1:02 PM
Not this season. Some clubs are already gone out, (though not much of a chance of winning it), so unfair to decide to give a place to the winners now.
Next season, yes.

Only themselves to blame :D

But I see your point. I'd still give it to the LC winners though. Pat Dolan is not managing at the moment so he can't whinge and moan that his team were never told and bring a high court case etc. Shels are still in it so Ollie Byrne can't do the same ( provided they hurry up and decide though as the next round is due to be played very soon ).

Macy
17/06/2005, 1:07 PM
Tough on any club that got knocked out because they treated the competition with contempt...

It'll revitalise the League Cup as a competition, which is a good thing. And qualification should be consistent across the two leagues imo.

I really don't see why the winner would be anymore likely to be first division club than the FAI cup tbh. Only has in the past because of the attitude by the premier clubs.

De Town
17/06/2005, 1:11 PM
from next season on, the LC. It will give it a bit of meaning.

pineapple stu
17/06/2005, 1:15 PM
Technically, that poll should be "third in the league", not fourth...

League Cup winners definitely. If only because it'll give a better chance of getting some new teams into the competition, as opposed to the same ones (same three NI teams have qualified, Cork and Shels you would imagine would qualify again).

Incidentally, the NI League Cup final was between Glentoran and Linfield, so the place will (I would imagine) go to the league. Third placed is Portadown - Cup winners. Fourth placed is Dungannon Swifts!

Slash/ED
17/06/2005, 1:15 PM
League, because a better team will qualify then so it will reflect better on our league and it will improve the standard of the competition.

superfrank
17/06/2005, 1:21 PM
Incidentally, the NI League Cup final was between Glentoran and Linfield, so the place will (I would imagine) go to the league. Third placed is Portadown - Cup winners. Fourth placed is Dungannon Swifts!
You could also say Larne deserved it seen as Portadown had already finished third and therefore would've been guaranteed a place regardless of the outcome of the IFA Cup final.

paudie
17/06/2005, 1:24 PM
Technically, that poll should be "third in the league", not fourth...

League Cup winners definitely. If only because it'll give a better chance of getting some new teams into the competition, as opposed to the same ones (same three NI teams have qualified, Cork and Shels you would imagine would qualify again).

I think the IL are planning to use the next League Cup competition winners, which is planned to finish in December 2005.

Any team already knocked out of the EL League Cup this season would have a legitamate grievance if it was announced now that the LC winners qualified for the Setanta.

Now we'll never know how Mayo League v Linfield would have turned out.

I don't think that Setanta have finalised that the next competition will have 8 teams anyway, though hopefully it will.

pineapple stu
17/06/2005, 1:26 PM
You could also say Larne deserved it seen as Portadown had already finished third and therefore would've been guaranteed a place regardless of the outcome of the IFA Cup final.
Third place doesn't get you into the Setanta, though (if you allow the League Cup winners in). Portadown qualified solely on the basis of their Cup win.

superfrank
17/06/2005, 1:30 PM
My mistake!

fosterdollar
17/06/2005, 1:32 PM
To keep it LC based they could give it to the semi-finalists beaten by whoever won the Cup.

Jaime
17/06/2005, 1:33 PM
4th league, for usual "marathon not sprint" reasons.

tiktok
17/06/2005, 1:42 PM
League cup.
Just to breathe some bit of life into that competition.
If the LC winners had already qualified I'd go 3rd in league as opposed to LC runners-up though

CuanaD
17/06/2005, 4:07 PM
LC winners - If they are already qualified then second place, then revert to third in premier, etc.

25 LC v 5 3rd in League
Looks like most of us want more meaning for the LC :cool: :ball:

pete
17/06/2005, 4:09 PM
You should had had 3rd place in league option, not 4th place.

BohDiddley
17/06/2005, 5:54 PM
You should had had 3rd place in league option, not 4th place.
Watch it. Jaime's on the hunt for pedants. ;)

crc
17/06/2005, 6:21 PM
League Cup winners

...but if they already qualify some other way, it should go to whoever is next in the league not the runners up (same should apply to FAI Cup).

As for clubs already knocked out having grievances - its their own smegin' fault, same arguments could be used about giving it to the league: "we'd have diverted resources away from the cups towards the league if only we'd known! :rolleyes: " Wasn't the Setanta Cup announced after the start of last year's FAI cup?

jorge
18/06/2005, 12:19 PM
I would have prefered it to be given to the team who finnished third but if it means making it easier for Rovers,all the better i say.

sullanefc
18/06/2005, 12:46 PM
I would have prefered it to be given to the team who finnished third but if it means making it easier for Rovers,all the better i say.

I for one would like to see the best teams in the Set. Cup. So I wouldn't like to see the League cup winners get through. (marathon not a print etc) However I do think that the 3rd placed team in the league would be a better option than the 4th :D

pineapple stu
18/06/2005, 8:51 PM
(marathon not a print etc)
Think a couple have said this - does this argument not go for the FAI Cup winners as well?

Da Real Rover
19/06/2005, 12:37 PM
Its gotta be the league cup, not only will it breath some life into the competition it will also give a first division team whos strandad in the bottom half of the table something to strive for apart from the FAI cup. So what if a weak first division team win it, the premier division teams have only themselves to blame. Also people are saying theyd rather a strong team in the setanta cup, look over the border there not worrying about that, if there willing to have a weak team in the setanta cup why are we not.

pete
19/06/2005, 12:43 PM
I know it suits City but League Cup draw is basically fixed. The 2nd round is supposed to be an open draw but has worked out regionally with the Premier division teams at home - coincidence?

De Town
19/06/2005, 2:29 PM
I know it suits City but League Cup draw is basically fixed. The 2nd round is supposed to be an open draw but has worked out regionally with the Premier division teams at home - coincidence?
The draw was still regionalised for this round. next round its an open draw.

Éanna
20/06/2005, 10:17 AM
I think the League Cup winners should get it, simply to give the competition a bit of importance again.

(edited the poll to "3rd in league" by the way)

Shelsman
20/06/2005, 4:49 PM
(marathon not a print etc) However I do think that the 3rd placed team in the league would be a better option than the 4th :D

Does this mean that a marathon runner is a better athlete than a 100m sprinter??? :confused:

YES I did make a mistake by setting it as fourth in the poll :rolleyes:

If another moderator can tell me how to fix this I'd be very grateful.

Schumi
20/06/2005, 4:51 PM
It's already fixed.