PDA

View Full Version : league cup winners for setanta cup

MariborKev
16/06/2005, 9:07 AM
Reports from the North this morning suggest that the IFA is advocating an expansion of the Setanta Cup to 8 teams, from the current six.

The radio reports were unclear but I took from it that the IFA are seeking to top two in the League, the Irish Cup and the League Cup winners to gain admission to the competition

Peadar
16/06/2005, 9:14 AM
top two in the League, the Irish Cup and the League Cup winners to gain admission to the competition

I think the competition is a bit too fragmented as it is.
Games on different nights and different weeks doesn't make it easy to generate excitement about it.
If they add two more teams and persist with the same format as this season, the disjointed structure of the competition will become even worse. :(

The FAI would have to enter the League Champions, League runners up, the FAI Cup runners up and League Cup runners up, since we're on for the treble. :D

MariborKev
16/06/2005, 9:16 AM
The FAI would have to enter the League Champions, League runners up, the FAI Cup runners up and League Cup runners up, since we're on for the treble. :D

Ye aren't the only ones :D

Peadar
16/06/2005, 9:19 AM
Ye aren't the only ones :D

Thought of that after I posted.
Still think a City v City FAI Cup Final would be the dogs undercarriage.
The FAI should do all in their power to ensure it happens. ;)

Dodge
16/06/2005, 9:28 AM
Like the idea of boosting the League Cup. Also think it'll help the Setanta Cup no end. Means having two groups of four (League winners from each country being top seed in each) and having 2 fropm each in there. Also gives an oppurtunity for semis which adds to the excitement and unlikely to leave "dead rubbers"

EnDai
16/06/2005, 9:37 AM
Would be great if it happened ;)

Roo69
16/06/2005, 9:51 AM
If an All-Ireland League does'nt happen then an expanded Setanta Cup is defo needed, maybe run in the same group stages format as the champions league. Personally i think it would be great to see 4 groups of 4 teams, top 2 from each group to to qualify for the quarters and so on.

Could include Winners or eL and IL
Cup Winners of eL and IL
League Cup Winners of eL and IL
2nd Place finish in the eL and IL
3rd Place finish in the eL and IL
4th Place finish in the eL and IL

Champions League format would also give the barstoolers something of a fimilar feeling to what they watch every tuesday and wedensday night with the likes of Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, it might make them take a little more interest.

stickyjoe
16/06/2005, 9:51 AM
From BBC.co.uk

A place in the big money Setanta Cup is the prize for next season's winners of the CIS Insurance Cup.
The new-look Setanta competition is being increased from six to eight teams - four each from the Irish League and Eircom League.

The Irish League quartet will comprise the CIS winners, Glentoran, Portadown and Linfield, who won the inaugural Setanta Cup last month.

The CIS Cup final will be on a Saturday for the first time, on 3 December.

Linfield were surprise 2-0 victors over Eircom League champions Shelbourne in May's decider at Tolka Park.

Glenn Ferguson and Peter Thomspon scored the goals which earned the Blues the 150,000 euro top prize.

Cosmo
16/06/2005, 9:52 AM
Yeah an 8 team setanta cup would give the groups more balance.

Also like the idea of the league cup winners getting a place - would stop clubs putting out thier reserve teams for this.

CuanaD
16/06/2005, 9:57 AM
Yes, this would be a good move - a positive step for the league cup as well - guarantees e30,000 prizemoney - nice.

It would allow a tightening-up of the games series also - could see two setanta games each week instead of one - live setanta each Monday AND Tuesday - I like the sound of that :D

jorge
16/06/2005, 10:25 AM
The League Cup is the League Cup,if it was expanded to eight teams it should be the team who comes third in the league and NOT the League Cup winners it wouldnt be fair on the team that came third.

Peadar
16/06/2005, 10:38 AM
it wouldnt be fair on the team that came third.

This wont concern Rovers so don't worry your hooped little head about it.

I'm not happy with the timing of the competition.
It's too early in the season for us and coincides with the conclusion of too many other competitions which can't help attendances or viewing figures.

Dodge
16/06/2005, 10:40 AM
The League Cup is the League Cup,if it was expanded to eight teams it should be the team who comes third in the league and NOT the League Cup winners it wouldnt be fair on the team that came third.
It wouldn't be fair on the league cup winners if they give it to the team that finishes third...

and on, and on, and on, and on, and on....

jorge
16/06/2005, 10:52 AM
Imagine if you had to play your strongest team in every competition (league,cup,league cup,for the fortunate ones the Setanta Cupand Europe)any team in the EL woulnt be able for it.Espesially those Langers.Btw it would concern us if we won the League cup.

pete
16/06/2005, 10:55 AM
The League Cup here is just a Mickey Mouse competition. The Setanta Cup needs the best teams from both sides of the border competing. There is no point in having some crap 1st division team on Setanta tv as doesn't serve any purpose. Should be 3d place in Premier division.

I would say original reason for restricting the competition to 3 teams from each league was so Setanta guaranteed just the best teams.

Cosmo
16/06/2005, 11:01 AM
'There is no point in having some crap 1st division team on Setanta tv as doesn't serve any purpose.'

Eh I think the reasoning would be that all clubs would take the League Cup seriously as a result of getting into the setanta cup. Sure using that logic, anyone could win the FAI cup and they mightnt be in the top 4 clubs in ireland and still qualify for the setanta cup :rolleyes:

Macy
16/06/2005, 11:02 AM
I would say original reason for restricting the competition to 3 teams from each league was so Setanta guaranteed just the best teams.
Then, as the arguement goes, not keep it to the first 3 in the league in the first place rather than the Cup winners.

Good news for the League Cup, both sides of the border, as it gives it some credability. Already has handy prize money, this will definitely give it a boost. If a crap div 1 team wins it, that's the fault of the good premier teams not beating them. If they don't take it seriously with a setanta place for the winner, that is just stupidity on their part.

Like I say, good move for the competition - one more team of winners, rather than another runner up... ;)

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 11:09 AM
I'm happy that some meaning can be given to the League Cup without having to sacrifice a European place. However if I recall correctly the Irish League Cup final was Linfield v Glentoran last year so what does that mean for the 4th NI place?

Argument about Div 1 teams winning the League Cup are stupid. We weren't that far away from a Munster Senior League team winning the FAI Cup last year. These things happen and it adds to the romance of the game. Perhaps a lower team getting into the Setanta via the League Cup could be a catalyst to big things for the said club. Has this been officially confirmed?

crc
16/06/2005, 11:13 AM
Two groups of four would definately give the competition more balance, and semi-finals would be great too. I'd be for giving the fourth place to the league cup winners, but I wouldn't be that bothered if it went to the third place Premier team. However if the Cup winners (league cup or FAI cup) already qualify some other way, then the place should not go to the runners up - it should go to the next highest team in the Premier division.

I think Setanta wanted to keep the competition small while it was still in its infancy, but now that the first season has been a success, eight teams is the way to go.

pete
16/06/2005, 11:16 AM
Then, as the arguement goes, not keep it to the first 3 in the league in the first place rather than the Cup winners.

The competition was created by the will of the FAI not the eL. The FAI run the FAI Cup.

Éanna
16/06/2005, 11:31 AM
good idea that to have 4 teams in the groups, gives it a bit more balance. TBH, I wouldn't really be too bothered about whether it was the team in 3rd or the league cup winners that got the extra place- there are good reasons for both really IMO

bluemovie
16/06/2005, 11:34 AM
The Setanta Cup is definitely helping promote the possibility of an all-Ireland league so it should be expanded. The best thing about it is that it gets you interested in what's happening in the other league. How many of us ever cared who won the Northern Ireland league cup? How many of us will be looking for the result in December? I was surprised how little trouble there was this year. It should definitely be expanded to 8 clubs. Another good thing is that there'll be more spice next year. There'll already be a rivalry between Shels and Linfield or Cork and Portadown. The longer these competitions go on, the better they get.

pineapple stu
16/06/2005, 11:39 AM
However if I recall correctly the Irish League Cup final was Linfield v Glentoran last year so what does that mean for the 4th NI place?
I would imagine the next-placed in the league?

I think it's a great idea. At the moment, the same three teams from the North have qualified, and you'd imagine Shels and Cork would qualify again from down here. The League Cup (here at least) is usually more open (though this may change that) and would add a couple of new teams to the competition. You've had eight different teams winning in the last ten years (only Cork and Pat's have won twice), and another five teams have been in the final.

Buller
16/06/2005, 11:40 AM
"There'll already be a rivalry between Shels and Linfield or Cork and Portadown. The longer these competitions go on, the better they get."
Why dont i see irelands most successful club in there?! ;)

EnDai
16/06/2005, 11:42 AM
Because they won't be in it next year! :D

Buller
16/06/2005, 11:52 AM
Reality.. so harsh.. :(

Dazzy
16/06/2005, 11:53 AM
However if I recall correctly the Irish League Cup final was Linfield v Glentoran last year so what does that mean for the 4th NI place?

The League Cup in the North takes place at the start of the season so this place is not yet confirmed. I think, open to correction.

Dodge
16/06/2005, 12:02 PM
The BBC article mentions a December final so I presume the winners of the Dec 05 final will qualify for the April 06 Setanta

Slash/ED
16/06/2005, 12:14 PM
I'd also much prefer to have the third place team in the competition, in theory it would make it a better standard competition

paudie
16/06/2005, 12:45 PM
The BBC article mentions a December final so I presume the winners of the Dec 05 final will qualify for the April 06 Setanta

Date for next Setanta Cup isn't finalised yet. There was talk of it being in November or December this year. With our Cup final and their League Cup final in December it would have to be December at the earliest.

I'd be more inclined to give the extra spot to the third place team in the league though you can see why they might give it to the League Cup winners to increase interest in it.

pete
16/06/2005, 1:20 PM
I'd be more inclined to give the extra spot to the third place team in the league though you can see why they might give it to the League Cup winners to increase interest in it.

If they have to allow a place through the League Cup i think possibly only the winner should be all allowed. If winner has already qualified then place should divert to the 3rd league position.

jorge
16/06/2005, 1:28 PM
That would be like letting the winner of the Carling Cup into the Champions League.

Dodge
16/06/2005, 1:35 PM
If they have to allow a place through the League Cup i think possibly only the winner should be all allowed. If winner has already qualified then place should divert to the 3rd league position.
That'd be my way of doing it.

That would be like letting the winner of the Carling Cup into the Champions League.
Only if they already let the winners of the FA Cup into it

Schumi
16/06/2005, 1:50 PM
Only if they already let the winners of the FA Cup into itThink they did this year. :p

thecorner
17/06/2005, 12:51 AM
A place in the big money Setanta Cup is the prize for next season's winners of the CIS Insurance Cup.
The new-look Setanta competition is being increased from six to eight teams - four each from the Irish League and Eircom League.

read here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/4098596.stm)

Peadar
17/06/2005, 8:03 AM

Have you been stuck on Galway for the week or something!?
That story has been talked to death here... (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=26366)