PDA

View Full Version : Which other teams do you support?

Mitch Buchanon
16/06/2005, 1:30 PM
I know we are Rovers fans but what other teams do you support?

For me it is:

England - Liverpool
Spain - Barca
Italy - Inter

I bet there's one or two hardcore out there who won't admit to supporting anyone but the Rovers. Forgive me if you've done this recently before.

gustavo
16/06/2005, 1:45 PM
whats wrong with supporting no one but rovers!

garykelly
16/06/2005, 2:12 PM
whats wrong with supporting no one but rovers!

Nothing wrong with it. I'm from Sligo. I support only Rovers. If every soccer fan from sligo and surrounding counties supported rovers (remember rovers has support from all over), the club would be massive. Rosenborg are an example to every 'smaller' team.

I think the term 'follow' should be used when referring to teams abroad. I've been to one game in manchester but wont be going back again. there are more tourists there than in disneyland :D Nothing wrong will following other teams. after all it's a lot easier to turn on the tv, than get up get out and watch your local team right in front of you.

gustavo
16/06/2005, 2:17 PM
i always keep an eye out for sampdorias results and i used to be a manchester united supporter in my mispent youth :eek:

The Stars
16/06/2005, 2:38 PM
I key a look out for Rochdale's results because I managed them very successfully once on championship manager.

Da Real Rover
16/06/2005, 4:58 PM
I dont support anyone but Rovers but i have a soft spot for a couple of European teams but no one in England cause i cant stand the Preiersh!t.
Scotland-Celtic
Spain-Barca and Bilbao
Yugoslavia-Red Star
Italy-Roma
Greece-Pana

1 9 2 8
16/06/2005, 5:06 PM
Sligo Rovers FC is the only club I support

LondonRover
16/06/2005, 6:51 PM
QPR - but then again, I do live in London! Was a Rovers fan first as born in Sligo but grew up in London from age of 10 and have been going to QPR since age of 12/13.
Get home to one or two games a year (it's a hell of a lot easier now with summer soccer!). Was at the Malahide game on Saturday - shame we let the equaliser in but that's football.
Hoping to try to take in the Dublin/Dundalk/Galway games at the end of July beginning of August but we'll see... money, birds - you know the score! :D

Mayo Red
16/06/2005, 8:09 PM
As well as supporting Rovers, I'm also a big Liverpool fan and was over at the Bolton game last season. I don't see a conflict of interest in Eircom League fans supporting English teams for example, because your local team will always win out. What bothers me are the people that go mad for Man. Utd., Liverpool, Arsenal etc and have never set foot inside an Eircom League ground. They will wear their Premiership jersey with pride down the local pub on a Sunday and tell you how s**t League of Ireland football is and how a team of wild horses would not drag them to a game! They won't give it a chance, I have had this argument with some of my mates regularly. I got two others to go to the Galway game with me and they thought it was great!

Soper
16/06/2005, 8:19 PM
I follow Rovers, Celtic and Cardiff City.

I won't say I support Rovers, because I get to virtually no rovers matches.Same with Celtic.This season I'll be hopefully going to a lot of Cardiff matches.Should be good.

1 9 2 8
17/06/2005, 1:22 AM
The only way you can support a club is by going to their games I think this tread should be recalled what other teams to you follow or look out for their results :rolleyes:

sligoman
17/06/2005, 9:06 AM
Follow:

Scotland=Celtic
England=Man United
Spain=Valencia,Mallorca,Malaga & Levante

ranting rover
17/06/2005, 9:12 AM
[QUOTE=1 9 2 8]The only way you can support a club is by going to their games[QUOTE]

We're getting bogged down in terminology: 'support' / 'follow' but I have to disagree with the above statement.

I don't live in Sligo [I don't even live in Ireland] so it is very hard for me to go to Rovers matches. So consequently I am not a Rovers supporter? I was in Sligo 2 weeks ago and had planned to go to the Galway game. First time in Sligo in 2 years and really looking forward to the match. Then I found out it was on Friday [not Saturday] and I missed it. So disappointed. But I thought 'at least I can get a jersey to show my support'. Disappointed again - Sligo town closed down for the bank holiday Monday - I'm used to 24 hour living - lack of foresight - so no open Jako shop, no jersey for me. But my granny is going to buy one and post it to me.

So for the record:
- I'm from Sligo and have supported Rovers since I could walk. I went week in week out when I lived in Sligo
- I was a ballboy in the Showgrounds for a few years
- I wear my Rovers jersey every week playing football
- I have been supportive of the club all through the last few painful years, I didn't walk away, I frantically searched for every result every week.
- I do my best to attend games when I'm back in Sligo

So to suggest that I am not a supporter is ridiculous in my opinion.

This whole issue really gets on my wick actually - For example: 'eircom league' fans going on about how much they hate the premiership. It is one of the best leagues in the world. Why would anyone hate it? That is just ignorance. With regard to promotion of the eircom league and Rovers, all these people are doing is coming across as being negatively patriotic and close-minded - if I was a Man Utd fan and had the jersey on down the pub and someone started goin on about how shiit the premiership is and goin on about how great the eircom league is, i'd walk the other way. If however, they aknowledged that the premiership is one of the best leagues in the world and argued that the eircom league is of a much better standard than I think, why not come down etc, I'd have at least one ear open.

Whether you like it or not, young Irish kids will tend to support an English team from when they are young. It is not glory hunting or whatever you might want to brand it as, it is cultural. It is a fundamental characteristic of modern Irish life. And it won't change any time soon. All we can do is encourage these kids to also attend Rovers games and make Rovers an important part of their life, just as when they go out and play on the road that it is important they can pretend to be Christiano Ronaldo.

Drag me away, I could go on all night about this...

sligoman
17/06/2005, 9:18 AM
All of the above well said, RR ;)

ranting rover
17/06/2005, 9:19 AM
Oh I forgot...

Arsenal since I was a boy. But can very rarely get tickets so I like going to QPR games instead.

I also look for results of:
- Chievo in Italy [went to see them, amazing story - their rise to the top...]
- Celtic [think this was beat into me when I was young :) - if you're a Catholic and go to mass then you must also follow Celtic]
- Barcelona [more republicanism foundations I think, the parallels with Catalan movement during reign of Franco - although I have been to the Nou Camp - amazing place]
- Hertha Berlin [I used to live in Germany]
- Bristol City [I used to live there, went to a few games]

LondonRover
17/06/2005, 10:26 AM
Well said RR - agree with everything you said (apart from the Arsenal bit ;) ).
To say somebody isn't a supporter because they don't get to every game is a bit harsh on people who don't live in Sligo - I just don't have the time, money or - to be honest - inclination to trek over to Ireland every weekend. I'm sure many others are the same. That said, people who sit in a pub round the corner going on about how the LOI is ****e do get on my tits. Get out and support your local club! The bigger they get the better quality will come - in theory at least!

It's a lot easier to 'follow' the Rovers via the internet these days - it's not that long since the only way to know what was happening was to get hold of a rare copy of the Champion etc.

BTW RantingRover - What part of London do you live in (assuming from the QPR/Arse that you do live in London)?

Da Real Rover
17/06/2005, 5:06 PM
This whole issue really gets on my wick actually - For example: 'eircom league' fans going on about how much they hate the premiership. It is one of the best leagues in the world. Why would anyone hate it? That is just ignorance.

Id agree with most of that appart from the bit ive quoted. I dont hate the premiersh!t with a passion because they play some of the nicest football and the best players in the world. I hate it because it has totally changed the dynamics of the game. The marketing machine that is the Premiersh!t has made a frankenstein in the football world. They have morfed football clubs into a business and not a club. They have no longer the same hard core dedicated fans that they used to that would follow their clubs no matter what. They go to see good football and thats it. The crowds drop off when the success stops and the winning stops. There used to be such a dedicated attachment of fans but now a football fan is just an opportunity for making money, their no longer fans willing for sacrafice, their customers. Thats why i pray to God every night that we never turn into the Premiersh!t, never forget who the real fans are. Now it is not plain ignorance RR but dont even get me started on Merchandise United.

Petmuller
18/06/2005, 12:07 PM
Id agree with most of that appart from the bit ive quoted. I dont hate the premiersh!t with a passion because they play some of the nicest football and the best players in the world. I hate it because it has totally changed the dynamics of the game. The marketing machine that is the Premiersh!t has made a frankenstein in the football world. They have morfed football clubs into a business and not a club. They have no longer the same hard core dedicated fans that they used to that would follow their clubs no matter what. They go to see good football and thats it. The crowds drop off when the success stops and the winning stops. There used to be such a dedicated attachment of fans but now a football fan is just an opportunity for making money, their no longer fans willing for sacrafice, their customers. Thats why i pray to God every night that we never turn into the Premiersh!t, never forget who the real fans are. Now it is not plain ignorance RR but dont even get me started on Merchandise United.
Da real rover - eh :confused: I don't know where you've been but thinking that the english premieriership has transformed the beautiful game into a marketing machine really baffles the fcuk out of me. Ever since the word money was associated with the game it has become a business. Any club even down to the grass roots have to deal in some way with money and the handling of money has to be conducted in a business like manner. The game is now marketed better in England which has raised the hype levels which wouldn't be such a bad thing if the same were to happen over here. Imagine if the hype levels of Rovers were really exploited how big a business the club could become. Last night in Limerick I learned an awful lot on how a seed when properly nourished can become a thriving plant. The potential is there it's only a matter of latching on to it.
The question of a person being a supporter/follower is only one the individual can answer. From Rovers point of view the club needs supporters in the form of generating revenue in order that the club can survive from week to week. A person may not be in a position to support the club financially by going to games every time the team play at home but there are other ways of supporting the club by buying lotto tickets and joining the 400 Club. I'm sure most exiles that consider themselves supporters of Rovers are members of these fundraising activities.
To partake in a discussion whither one is a supporter or not is only answerable by the individual as to how much financial assistance he/she is to the club they claim to 'support'.

ali2005
18/06/2005, 8:49 PM
England-Liverpool, Sunderland
France-Lyon
Italy-AC Milan
Spain-Barcelona, Valencia

harry crumb
19/06/2005, 10:25 AM
Most of my aunts and uncles would have supported Rovers when they were small. They lived in Leitrim.

Do you get a lot of support from Leitrim?

Da Real Rover
19/06/2005, 10:29 AM
The question of a person being a supporter/follower is only one the individual can answer. From Rovers point of view the club needs supporters in the form of generating revenue in order that the club can survive from week to week. A person may not be in a position to support the club financially by going to games every time the team play at home but there are other ways of supporting the club by buying lotto tickets and joining the 400 Club. I'm sure most exiles that consider themselves supporters of Rovers are members of these fundraising activities.
To partake in a discussion whither one is a supporter or not is only answerable by the individual as to how much financial assistance he/she is to the club they claim to 'support'.
Petmuller i hate it because they have chnged the supporter into the customer, simple as that. Pre 90s clubs did not market themselves like a business but operated like a club should. They paid there players wages through there gates and this whole marketing sh!te never saw the light of day. Clubs have to pay there players wages cause there giving there time to the club, time is money. You dont call Goal or Concern business's just cause they pay people to collect money on the side of the street.

The quoted part is pointless cause i said in the previous post that just cause you are unable to attend matches doesnt make any less a fan. Will you read my post correctly and read at the opening line.

Rovers1
19/06/2005, 2:18 PM
I Support a Sleeping giant from the north west of ireland: SLIGO ROVERS F.C. ;)

redtilldead
20/06/2005, 5:19 PM
firstly as blow in I have actively followed Rovers all over the country until O'riordans second year.He managed to kill my passion for the Rovers enough for me to start going back to Villa Park again.I was persuaded to give the Rovers another go,which I have done despite having an ex "Bluenose" for a manager wcich to a real Villa fan is like being associated with Satan.I fairness I have to say he has the team well organised with a very realistic chance of glory.Whereas I still go to every home game at Aston Villa I miss very few games for the Rovers.With an open mind you can still follow both leagues although there is very little atmosphere at the Showgrounds.Rally round get all your mates to come to the games.

Petmuller
20/06/2005, 5:49 PM
firstly as blow in I have actively followed Rovers all over the country until O'riordans second year.He managed to kill my passion for the Rovers enough for me to start going back to Villa Park again.I was persuaded to give the Rovers another go,which I have done despite having an ex "Bluenose" for a manager wcich to a real Villa fan is like being associated with Satan.I fairness I have to say he has the team well organised with a very realistic chance of glory.Whereas I still go to every home game at Aston Villa I miss very few games for the Rovers.With an open mind you can still follow both leagues although there is very little atmosphere at the Showgrounds.Rally round get all your mates to come to the games.

I'll take it redtilldead you'd not be seen sitting over in the 'blue' side of the showgrounds, the Jinks Avenue Stand ;)

redtilldead
20/06/2005, 5:57 PM
definitely true petmuller.... :)

Rory H
21/06/2005, 10:10 AM

im a villa fan too...never been to villa park but i love juan pablo angel....

i support them both....it did pish me off when we appointed a bluenose...but recently i learned that for every 19968 scum birmingham fans..there is one white sheep...one who actually is decent in his work....and it doesnt bother me anymore...dont want their players on loan though...they sicken meL ;)

redtilldead
21/06/2005, 5:04 PM
are you jpastay on the villa web site

Rory H
22/06/2005, 9:59 AM
no im not