PDA

View Full Version : Dip in Crowds

Arsene About
16/06/2005, 12:22 PM
According to the post about attendedences on the league, it seems that crowds are falling.Anyone any ideas as to why this is? at the last league game I wa sat in the Flan Siro, the area around me in the stand semsed to be full of young girls who had no real interest in the match! No saying this is a bad thing, but why the fall of in numbers?

De Town
16/06/2005, 12:33 PM
According to the post about attendedences on the league, it seems that crowds are falling.Anyone any ideas as to why this is?
People in Longford dont appreciate what they have a couple of miles out the road, they would rather sit on their arses in some pub in Town and wath the Premiershít :rolleyes:

at the last league game I wa sat in the Flan Siro, the area around me in the stand semsed to be full of young girls who had no real interest in the match! No saying this is a bad thing, but why the fall of in numbers?
There are a lot of girls that go to matches and just chat. Personally, I dont think its a bad thing because they give more money to the club and they make the attendance look bigger.

I expect a big crowd this Saturday though, after 4 wins in a row, and against a fellow form team.

jorge
16/06/2005, 12:38 PM
I wouldnt be so sure.

De Town
16/06/2005, 12:39 PM
I wouldnt be so sure.
Why not :rolleyes: :confused:

jorge
16/06/2005, 12:42 PM
Longford crowds usually stay the same all year round low enough but im not saying we get the best crowds in the country.

De Town
16/06/2005, 12:44 PM
Longford crowds usually stay the same all year round low enough but im not saying we get the best crowds in the country.
Yeah, but the sunshiners come out for the big occasion, ie Shels at the end of last season, about 2000 at it.

Bosco
16/06/2005, 1:10 PM
Im not all that optimistic to be honest.At this stage a good crowd for us is anything over 1000 which is pitiful.When you compare our crowds to some of the crowds other teams in the league are getting we are seriously lagging behind and yeah i know we are a small town with a small population blah blah blah but you cant deny that crowds at flancare have been getting smaller especially this season even with the success of the team and something shi=ould be done to change that.When you look at it,probably 50% of our crowd are kids which means our away support is always going to be small.The club should be targeting the 20-35 age group.

Dyl10
16/06/2005, 2:57 PM
probably 50% of our crowd are kids

Imo oppinion this amount of kids at a match is a huge plus for several reasons.

1. It nearly ensures that the future of the club is safe
2. It gives the club more of a family image
3. Several years down the road they will hopefully bring their familys

So at least your not like Shells were 50% of their fanbase are pensioners

Ronnie
16/06/2005, 3:14 PM
Saturday night should give an indication. Kids are free again according to the paper, the team are on a roll, Derry are managed by Kenny, as loved by a lot of our fans as much now as ever. It would be poor it their wasn't 1000 home fans.

Bosco
16/06/2005, 6:18 PM
Imo oppinion this amount of kids at a match is a huge plus for several reasons.

1. It nearly ensures that the future of the club is safe
2. It gives the club more of a family image
3. Several years down the road they will hopefully bring their familys

So at least your not like Shells were 50% of their fanbase are pensioners

I realised this as I was posting it.The future looks good but at the moment it is worrying that the town are not attracting your average football fan.Many of the kids attending spend their time walking around talking,who knows if they'll still be coming to flancare in a few years to actually watch the game.We no longer have a good hardcore support especially traveling away.When you look at other teams(not just in ireland),the majority of their fans are aged 20-35.They have big vocal travelling supporters,we dont have this.Allright I know vocal support and a good athmosphere are not the most important thing to a football club but imo a good atmosphere and joining in singing etc is a pull factor for the el in comparison to just watching games at home on tele.Also remember that adults pay double what kids do into flancare

Sonic
16/06/2005, 7:13 PM
According to the post about attendedences on the league, it seems that crowds are falling.Anyone any ideas as to why this is? at the last league game I wa sat in the Flan Siro, the area around me in the stand semsed to be full of young girls who had no real interest in the match! No saying this is a bad thing, but why the fall of in numbers?

i thinkits obvious dont you. people arent goin to pay 15 euro a game to watch s**t

Bosco
16/06/2005, 7:30 PM
So I take it you wont be attending flancare again this season Sonic

observer
17/06/2005, 8:29 AM
One major factor effecting gates at Flancare is summer football. Winter gates are augmented in a big way by GAA supporters from Longford, Leitrim Cavan and Roscommon. Come the summer there are too many clashes with club championship matches and attracive inter county matches. These people just cannot afford to pay into two games or more at weekends and will opt for their first sporting interest. There are no English or European soccer matches on telly at the moment so that is not effecting attendances.

Arsene About
17/06/2005, 9:50 AM
Good point made by Cop on when you say we should encourage the large foreign population in the town to come out to support the club. Maybe knock a few quid off the ticket price too for games against the smaller teams in the league. Anything that can raise the level of support has to worth a go

Macy
17/06/2005, 9:55 AM
Is it worth another experiment with Friday night football? An 8 O'Clock kick off? I've always been a strong adovocate of Saturday football, but would an increase in home support make up for a drop in away fans?

Like I said, a big contradiction for me who reckons that Saturday or Sunday afternoon should be the time for football, but would it avoid a clash with the bogball, if that is effecting gates?

8pm Kick off at the earliest imo, to give people a chance to get down, both home and away fans... Has to be a realistic chance of making it down from Dublin afterwork. 5pm leaving time, should give enough time to get down for an 8pm kick off without too much of a rush.

Can't believe I'm suggesting Friday night football.... :eek:

Sonic
17/06/2005, 11:11 AM
No i will be attending flancare but others wont.As i said before the lads and lassies on foot.ie and a 100 or so other will be there but it aint enough and im afraid to say i understand where they are coming from.

Sonic
18/06/2005, 1:47 PM
Change the record mate.

oh so im your mate nw :eek: :D

observer
20/06/2005, 1:40 PM
Anyone know what the gate was Saturday night? It would have been pretty small but for the Derry support as far as I could estimate.

De Town
20/06/2005, 1:44 PM
observer, i think there was about 1400 there.

Bosco
20/06/2005, 4:55 PM
There were loads of derry fans,about 200 i think,they nearly filled the whole of section d

De Town
20/06/2005, 6:27 PM
There were loads of derry fans,about 200 i think,they nearly filled the whole of section d
they half filled section d. there was about 150 of them.

Bosco
20/06/2005, 8:21 PM
They more then half-filled it.There were a good few sitting down in section d aswell

Bosco
21/06/2005, 4:26 PM
Who said most of them were from derry?So there was about 1000 town supporters which still isnt great.Hopefully they will all come back for the next home match and the crowd will grow

observer
22/06/2005, 9:25 AM
You obviously believe Cop On that 900 or so Longford fans is a good turn out.
Some of us do not share that opinion. Considering the run of good results I would expect 1,500 Longford fans as a realistic target with visiting fans a bonus.

kevincronin2000
22/06/2005, 11:30 AM
Good point made by Cop on when you say we should encourage the large foreign population in the town to come out to support the club. Maybe knock a few quid off the ticket price too for games against the smaller teams in the league. Anything that can raise the level of support has to worth a go

sign a player from the polish leauge, (there wages cant be that high in poland)

De Town
22/06/2005, 11:31 AM
sign a player from the polish leauge, (there wages cant be that high in poland)
:D :D :D

We were actually thinking about some Lithuanian fella in the close season :eek:

Bosco
22/06/2005, 12:55 PM
All of the above seems to suggest that the place wouldv'e been empty but for Derry fans. Clearly this was not the case !

Neither of my quotes suggests that at all.Someone said there wasnt that many of them and i simply pointed out that they had a good crowd down,the biggest they've had down in years.Dont know why i even bothered to reply to something so stupid,just correcting you on what i actually said