PDA

View Full Version : No RTÉ Radio 1 MW on rte.ie

Poor Student
15/06/2005, 8:36 PM
I noticed this last week that they seemed to have pulled medium wave from rte.ie meaning you cannot get eL coverage online if you are abroad. Anyone know why they did this? I sent them an e-mail 5 days ago and they never replied. Maybe I sent to the wrong person as they have tonnes of e-mail addresses. If any of you would care to help send them a complaint e-mail without being abusive or sarcastic. Perhaps it'll wake them up. Though if someone knows some legal or technical reason why they pulled it then just tell me I am wasting my time. Quite a let down by them.

Dee75
16/06/2005, 8:22 AM
I know that RTE Radio 1 was available on MW567 it has now moved to LW252. I'm not sure if that is available on the net.

MariborKev
16/06/2005, 8:24 AM
Poor student,

I haven't checked in the last week but the RTE MW Stream was hit and miss for several weeks before that, as often I would tune in on a Friday night, but would get Farm Weekly or the like, instead of Jimmy Magee's dulcet tones

mandrake
16/06/2005, 8:38 AM
go to newstalk106.ie or newstalk.ie they have updates on games. its a dublin radio station but its ok on all games.

Peadar
16/06/2005, 8:40 AM
I know that RTE Radio 1 was available on MW567 it has now moved to LW252. I'm not sure if that is available on the net.

After our game in Galway last Friday, I flicked on MW567 and they were covering the Shels game so it hasn't moved anywhere. It's available on both MW and LW but not FM.

razor
16/06/2005, 9:08 AM
After our game in Galway last Friday, I flicked on MW567 and they were covering the Shels game so it hasn't moved anywhere. It's available on both MW and LW but not FM.I think its 729MW as well

harry crumb
16/06/2005, 10:10 AM
You can get Radio 1 MW on Sky Digital in England. Its also on LW 252.

"I listen to long wave radio 252, now give me my money" :D

Macy
16/06/2005, 10:26 AM
After our game in Galway last Friday, I flicked on MW567 and they were covering the Shels game so it hasn't moved anywhere. It's available on both MW and LW but not FM.
MW was down for a while last summer/season - transmitter upgrade I think. They launched 252LW just before it to cover it.

As said RTE Radio, including the 2 versions of Radio 1, are available free to air at Astra 2 - the sky satellite's. If you're in Europe you should be able to pick up a free to air sat system for sod all, if that's an option... Planning on doing it for digital quality reception for here, but can't seem to get to Lidl early enough when they do the cheap systems (like today!) :rolleyes:

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 10:43 AM
Dear ******

At the moment only our FM schedule is available online,
so sports fixtures which are being broadcast on our
MW/LW frequencies are not accessible for those listeners
tuning in via the web.

At certain times we have interrupted our normal weekday
schedule on FM to carry particularly important sports
tournaments and these matches are thus available on FM,
MW and LW. Recently there was a technical hitch with
the server, when the online feed switched from FM to
our MW/LW schedule. However this was an error and it
was rectified as soon as possible.

We are aware that our overseas listeners have a great
interest in being able to hear Irish matches and we are
continually making efforts to make as many games as
possible available to all. In many cases there are
broadcast rights restrictions in force, which mean that
we cannot broadcast some matches to a world-wide
audience. Otherwise you can hear a huge variety of
sports covered on both Saturday Sports and Sunday
Sports.

Thanks for your interest.

Best wishes
RTE Radio 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Eh, is this an automated response? Does this letter seem to avoid mentioning the Eircom League?

Macy
16/06/2005, 10:47 AM
Eh, is this an automated response? Does this letter seem to avoid mentioning the Eircom League?
And it doesn't make sense, as they broadcast medium wave Radio 1 all over Europe without restriction. And they market 252LW as their solution for UK listeners :rolleyes:

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 10:59 AM
How exactly do you get Radio 1 on a normal radio on the continent? You go to 252 LW or does that only work in the UK?

Macy
16/06/2005, 11:18 AM
How exactly do you get Radio 1 on a normal radio on the continent? You go to 252 LW or does that only work in the UK?
Depends where in Europe - doubt you'd get 252LW in Slovenia tbh.... :)

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 11:35 AM

Tried it there. It's static. :(

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 11:51 AM
Dear ******

In relation to Eircom League fixtures, when the series
first started years ago the obvious choice was to carry
it on Medium Wave. The alternative would have meant
disrupting the entire FM schedule for 3 hours every
Friday, which didn't make sense when we had another RTE
Radio One frequency available. It has now become a
tradition that the matches are broadcast very Friday on
MW/LW, listeners are used to making the switch and
knowing that they'll find the Eircom League there at
7.30pm each Friday.

For the moment Eircom League Soccer will remain on MW/LW
each week throughout the summer and into the autumn.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I stated to them it was eL I was on about and asked specifically will they be broadcasting it on the net. Can't they answer a simple question? :confused:

Schumi
16/06/2005, 1:38 PM
Worked in the Faroes but I had to wave the radio around a bit to get the signal. Being over sea rather than land might make it easier to get though.

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 1:42 PM
After a long and surprisingly rapid correspondence with radio 1 they still haven't really explained why eL coverage has dissapeared off the net.

Recently there was a technical hitch with
the server, when the online feed switched from FM to
our MW/LW schedule.

That's as best a reason I can find from my conversation with them. Was eL coverage only on the net for a brief time? I thought it had been there a while.

Macy
16/06/2005, 1:44 PM
Worked in the Faroes but I had to wave the radio around a bit to get the signal. Being over sea rather than land might make it easier to get though.
It's more to do with terrain I think. Mountains etc block the signal...

Schumi
16/06/2005, 1:51 PM
It's more to do with terrain I think. Mountains etc block the signal...
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant.

Réiteoir
17/06/2005, 7:13 PM
one of our lot emailed them a few weeks back

"i sent them an email about the football and they said at the time, that it had been a mistake and it wouldn't happen again.....it has to do with broadcasting rights"

Poor Student
17/06/2005, 7:20 PM
Reiteoir can you fix me up with commentary over Yahoo again if you're around?

Réiteoir
17/06/2005, 7:29 PM
I'll see what i can do

Poor Student
17/06/2005, 7:30 PM
Cheers. If you can sort something out I am on Yahoo. It would be much appreciated.

Poor Student
17/06/2005, 7:44 PM
one of our lot emailed them a few weeks back

"i sent them an email about the football and they said at the time, that it had been a mistake and it wouldn't happen again.....it has to do with broadcasting rights"

So broadcasting eL football was an accident?

finnharpsinluto
20/06/2005, 8:18 PM
Yeah I noticed that the first few weeks of games were covered over the net and then the live stream changed to Farmers weekly. I cant hear the matches but the grass looks great :mad:

I got similar ramblings from RTE when I emailed about 4 different department, thankfully though I can get the LW coverage in the car (neighbours think I'm mad).

BTW was in Ljubijana there recently, great place