PDA

View Full Version : Yugoslavia!

CollegeTillIDie
11/06/2005, 4:31 PM
Poor Student

How's Slovenija these days? Been to Bled lately?

Poor Student
11/06/2005, 6:46 PM
Poor Student

How's Slovenija these days? Been to Bled lately?

Surprisingly cloudy, though being Irish that makes the heat just bearable. :p Funny you should ask, I could be heading to Bled on Wednesday I think. I was there once before. Beautiful setting.

When were you here CTID?

CollegeTillIDie
11/06/2005, 8:25 PM
Never been. But someone I once read about a Mr Josip Broz used to spend his holidays there :D

Poor Student
13/06/2005, 9:01 PM
Never been. But someone I once read about a Mr Josip Broz used to spend his holidays there :D

You know he died here? Someone told me yesterday that Comrade Broz's leg is still here as it was aputated when he was dying. :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
14/06/2005, 9:59 PM
You know he died here? Someone told me yesterday that Comrade Broz's leg is still here as it was aputated when he was dying. :eek:

A Tito titbit then? :D

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 1:50 PM
A Tito titbit then? :D

:D

Seeming as Schumi gave our conversation it's own thread I'd imagine CTID you'd be slightly interested to know I am going to a game on Saturday with a Slovenia greats v rest of Yugoslavia greats. I know Zahovic and Mijatovic will be there anyway.

Macy
16/06/2005, 2:03 PM
Just thinking of Bled, and then I notice this thread. A great great place, and just about to have a look to see the damage for going back there this year. :)

Don't go at the weekend though poor student - full of bloody day trippers from the city :D

CollegeTillIDie
16/06/2005, 5:18 PM
:D

Seeming as Schumi gave our conversation it's own thread I'd imagine CTID you'd be slightly interested to know I am going to a game on Saturday with a Slovenia greats v rest of Yugoslavia greats. I know Zahovic and Mijatovic will be there anyway.

Oh I am so envious ! Bring me back a programme if there is one :ball:

P.S. YU-GO-SLAVIA ! well I had to get that old redundant chant out from Mothballs some time on this thread :D

pineapple stu
16/06/2005, 6:28 PM
Funnily enough, a lad I know is just gone off to Croatia for a week today! Think he was there a couple of years ago as well - had pretty much only good things to say. Must head out there sometime. When Ireland or UCD (or B36 :) ) get drawn out there!

Schumi
17/06/2005, 2:08 PM
Must head out there sometime. When Ireland or UCD (or B36 :) ) get drawn out there!
Why so pessimistic? When UCD get drawn out there!

Poor Student
19/06/2005, 1:54 PM
Oh I am so envious ! Bring me back a programme if there is one :ball:

I saved you what I think was a programme. More of a free handout. The game was organised by Zahovic to raise money for UNICEF. We were promised all sorts of big names for the UNICEF All Stars like Rui Costa, Baia, Canizares but none outside of the former Yugoslavia materialised. For your interest the UNICEF All Stars team was:

Damjanac, Jarni, Kačatrijan, Soldo, Bilić, Asanović, Djurovski, Mijatović, Drulović, Ibeji, Cvitanović, Kozniku, Prosinečki (captain), Ciro Blažević (manager)

6,000 crowd. The game was a fairly dull afair. Slovenian team seemed very disinterested and lethargic despite it supposed to being some sort of tribute match to the Euro 2000 team. Bizarrely the crowd were very agitated towards them and seemed to resume grudges against old scape goats Osterc and Rudonja. On the other team Mijatović was crap and came off early. Their defence was awful. Their keeper played well and Prosinečki played like a man possessed. It was worth it just to see him. He is legend. The most naturally talented footballer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. His vision, technique, quality and range of pass, just a genius. Inevitably he scored the only goal a well struck shot on a ball moving across the outside of the box straight into the next. Despite being fat, unfit, barely able to run and a chain smoker he lasted in the final moments of the match, subbed only to get the applause. Pete Mahon should track this man down!

CollegeTillIDie
22/06/2005, 5:40 PM
I saved you what I think was a programme. More of a free handout. The game was organised by Zahovic to raise money for UNICEF. We were promised all sorts of big names for the UNICEF All Stars like Rui Costa, Baia, Canizares but none outside of the former Yugoslavia materialised. For your interest the UNICEF All Stars team was:

Damjanac, Jarni, Kačatrijan, Soldo, Bilić, Asanović, Djurovski, Mijatović, Drulović, Ibeji, Cvitanović, Kozniku, Prosinečki (captain), Ciro Blažević (manager)

6,000 crowd. The game was a fairly dull afair. Slovenian team seemed very disinterested and lethargic despite it supposed to being some sort of tribute match to the Euro 2000 team. Bizarrely the crowd were very agitated towards them and seemed to resume grudges against old scape goats Osterc and Rudonja. On the other team Mijatović was crap and came off early. Their defence was awful. Their keeper played well and Prosinečki played like a man possessed. It was worth it just to see him. He is legend. The most naturally talented footballer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. His vision, technique, quality and range of pass, just a genius. Inevitably he scored the only goal a well struck shot on a ball moving across the outside of the box straight into the next. Despite being fat, unfit, barely able to run and a chain smoker he lasted in the final moments of the match, subbed only to get the applause. Pete Mahon should track this man down!

I take it ex-coach of Slovenija Sratko Katanec was nowhere to be seen :D

Poor Student
23/06/2005, 3:41 PM

You're completely correct! His assistant was managing the Slovenian team.

Partizan
25/06/2005, 9:04 PM

Tovarish,

its Srecko :D

Sheridan
25/06/2005, 10:22 PM
Zahovic's alleged tirade towards Katanec upon his expulsion from the 2002 World Cup squad:

"I can buy you, I can buy your house, your family and I can buy that mountain we were running on in Slovenia during our preparations. You were a ******** player and you're the same as a coach now."

CollegeTillIDie
25/06/2005, 10:45 PM
Zahovic's alleged tirade towards Katanec upon his expulsion from the 2002 World Cup squad:

"I can buy you, I can buy your house, your family and I can buy that mountain we were running on in Slovenia during our preparations. You were a ******** player and you're the same as a coach now."

When Zahovic can match his ex-coach in the winning medals stakes then he can talk :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
25/06/2005, 10:46 PM
Tovarish,

Ok I was struggling to remember the christian name kamerad... satisfied? :rolleyes:

Poor Student
26/06/2005, 9:33 PM
Tovarish,

Gospod,

it's Srečko actually. ;)

CollegeTillIDie
26/06/2005, 10:10 PM
Gospod,

it's Srečko actually. ;)

Hvala vam :D

Partizan
27/06/2005, 4:41 PM
damn, how do you get the Serbo-Croat/Slovene pronounciation symbols on my computer. Used to have the cyrillic lettering on my Bulgarian PC.

Poor Student
27/06/2005, 4:42 PM
damn, how do you get the Serbo-Croat/Slovene pronounciation symbols on my computer. Used to have the cyrillic lettering on my Bulgarian PC.

By using my Slovenian keyboard. ;)

Partizan
27/06/2005, 4:50 PM
Zdravo druze Conor.

Poor Student, how's Slovenia right now? How long will you stay there for beacuse I'm planning on heading back over to Serbia in August if everything goes to plan in which I could very well take in a trip to see lovely Slovenia.

How did you meet your Slovene lack? over there?

Schumi
27/06/2005, 4:53 PM
Start - Run - charmap

Partizan
27/06/2005, 4:55 PM
НЙАЛЛ дОХЕРТИ

CAMO уОТЕРФОРД ЮНЙТЕд ФК

begorrah, it works. :cool: