PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else this happens to re: web names?

Pages : [1] 2

Cosmo
15/06/2005, 12:12 PM
Everyone has their 'web' name and their real name right? I've been going up to see drogheda play since I was a wee child, everyone got to know me, I was called with 'Dave' or 'Wheelo'.

However in the last 3 months or so, everyone up in united park seems to be calling me cosmo instead of Dave or Wheelo! Even my dads old friend who has known me since I was a baby called me cosmo last week!! I got a couple of mentions in the drogs programme this year too and i was refered to as cosmo!!

Is this the new craze, calling people by their web names?

I always preferred to leave the webworld, like eh, on the web if ye know what i mean!!

I dread bringing up my non football mates to a match or to a pub afterwards as they'll get a great laugh with me being refereed to cosmo :eek: !!

Just wondering is this happening to everyone else or what :D ?

hamish
15/06/2005, 12:17 PM
Cosmo is a cool name, shout it out loud and proud.

drinkfeckarse
15/06/2005, 12:25 PM

No but I'd be worried if people started calling me by my web name... :D

hamish
15/06/2005, 12:31 PM
No but I'd be worried if people started calling me by my web name... :D

I'd be even worse if your real name was embarassing - the first two well known West Ham players were called Syd Puddefoot and S.R. Ba$tard. :eek:

brendy_éire
15/06/2005, 12:32 PM
Aye, but usually it's just when there's another Brendy around. Know what ye mean hi, it's weird.

Macy
15/06/2005, 12:33 PM
Happens to everyone in Longford (both home and away) - thanks to Marty and Pauro :D

Macy was my nickname before it was my web handle so not arsed myself.

You should've stuck with David_Drog.... :D

paul_oshea
15/06/2005, 12:34 PM
havent really thought about it, dont think it would bother me if ye know what i mean ;)

pineapple stu
15/06/2005, 12:38 PM
The amount of times I get called "pineapple" is unreal - pretty much every opposition fan, some of our younger home fans, some of our players (!) and even just randomly if I'm walking through Stillorgan!

Incidentally, Dave, you're in my phone book and e-mail address book as Cosmo! :p

Troy.McClure
15/06/2005, 12:38 PM
I think that nearly everyone who I meet at the City matches call me Troy :p Im not too sure how many of them know my actual name :D :eek:

I dont really care too much what they call me though

Peadar
15/06/2005, 12:44 PM

You're just glad to have someone talk to you. :D

I actually never put 2 and 2 together as to who you were until you got in touch over the fanzine.

Troy.McClure
15/06/2005, 12:48 PM
Sure I know you're not the brightest :p ;)

I knew who you were though, I saw that photo of you in the Bohs shirt :D

Babysis
15/06/2005, 12:54 PM
Not really a problem for me. Most people have known me as babysis before coming on here. Always a bit weird calling people by their sign on, as is the case with Lopez, Pat O bubaclart, Sylvo, etc.

Cosmo
15/06/2005, 12:55 PM
'You should've stuck with David_Drog....'

Yeah well I used be Daviddrog on the drogs forum too but after a trip to milan a couple of years ago I changed it after getting slagged that it ain't a really 'cool' web name. Cosmo came from the milan trip (dont ask :D !!).

(Changed it here too when i started using this mb a bit more because i didnt want 2 identities in the webworld!!)

'Incidentally, Dave, you're in my phone book and e-mail address book as Cosmo!'

and i doubt you're not the only one :o

Peadar
15/06/2005, 1:00 PM
I knew who you were though, I saw that photo of you in the Bohs shirt :D

Obviously my name didn't give it away! :rolleyes: :D
Not the brightest crayon in the box yourself. ;)

tiktok
15/06/2005, 1:11 PM
I think that nearly everyone who I meet at the City matches call me Troy
Im not too sure how many of them know my actual name
I have to admit, I only found your real name out recently. :o

Ok so ********** :D :D

People are starting to use my real name, though I know there are some who will forever call me tiktok.
It's strange alright because like Cosmo, it's purely a football thing, no one outside of the EL would have a clue what it's all about.

My other-half finds it all rather sad :o :D

De Town
15/06/2005, 1:27 PM
no-one knows my name (DE TOWN) at the town matches but I know who Martinho is and maybe Pauro :eek:

And macy, because he was walking over to Section O 1 match last season or the season before and they all started shouting "Macy, Macy, Macy" at him.

Schumi
15/06/2005, 1:35 PM
It's something that happens me too (certain Longford fans take a bow :D ).

De Town
15/06/2005, 1:38 PM
It's something that happens me too (certain Longford fans take a bow :D ).
Are you the lad with really black hair?? (a big mop of it) :o :o

Gareth
15/06/2005, 1:46 PM
Well clearly I don't mind being called my webname. I found that if you run a website you tend to be called by the name you choose on the site so I decided it best to use my real name rather than be labeled by some silly embarrassing name I picked. When I was in DCU we had a network society and I was known as my username. Woeful.

I only know Drums Red and Fintan on this site and I met Tory McClure at the Shels Cork game recently so I wouldn't have any need to call any of your webnames :) Tiktok, was that the name of the lil robot in the second Wizard of Oz? :)

Schumi
15/06/2005, 1:48 PM
Are you the lad with really black hair?? (a big mop of it) :o :o
I'd say that's pineapple. Don't think my hair would have been a mop even before I got it cut, though probably not too far off. :D

De Town
15/06/2005, 1:50 PM
I'd say that's pineapple. Don't think my hair would have been a mop even before I got it cut, though probably not too far off. :D
Ah i just rememer up at belfield once when a UCD fan ran onto the pitch at halftime/before the match because he had dropped something out onto the pitch and the fans started shouting "schumi, schumi, schumi" :D

Gareth
15/06/2005, 1:52 PM
Who is the UCD fan that tends to lead the chants cos he chanted the sadest thing I ever heard.

Williams dropped the ball or something and he chanted "What a load of Wales". Audible groans and rapid disbanding of his followers SHOULD of followed. Maybe a burning at the stake....Was that you Schumi?? :)

Macy
15/06/2005, 1:57 PM
Ah i just rememer up at belfield once when a UCD fan ran onto the pitch at halftime/before the match because he had dropped something out onto the pitch and the fans started shouting "schumi, schumi, schumi" :D
That was Pineapple, obviously :p

pete
15/06/2005, 2:00 PM
Can be weird for when people call me by my web handle when my real name in Elizabeth. ;)

tiktok
15/06/2005, 2:00 PM
Tiktok, was that the name of the lil robot in the second Wizard of Oz? :)

It weas, though in my defence I only found that out recently :)

patsh
15/06/2005, 2:02 PM
It weas, though in my defence I only found that out recently :)
Actually looks a little like you..........

:D

Schumi
15/06/2005, 2:05 PM
:confused: Don't remember that at all, definitely wasn't me though!
Who is the UCD fan that tends to lead the chants cos he chanted the sadest thing I ever heard.

Williams dropped the ball or something and he chanted "What a load of Wales". Audible groans and rapid disbanding of his followers SHOULD of followed. Maybe a burning at the stake....Was that you Schumi??
Don't remember that either :confused: I can guarantee that it wasn't me, I'd never come up with something that bad. :D

Aberdonian Stu
15/06/2005, 3:41 PM
It was pineapple. He was misquoting something I shouted at John Hartson when Coventry played a friendly against us a few years back.

City had a penalty and three of us were lying on the hill quite bored so I just shouted out "You're Welsh" rather disdainfully, although most of the Welsh people I know are grand, and that's what pineapple was probably trying to remember.

I can't recall ever being called by my username.

Slash/ED
15/06/2005, 4:22 PM
I always get called by my Shelsweb username Jammer, but given that's my real life nickname it isn't too suprising, complete strangers have come up to me and called me it at matches though which is a little strange. I don't think anyone, ever has called me slash/ed though, thankfully...

Passive
15/06/2005, 4:26 PM
People I don't know call me Passive, it's quite worrying.

anto eile
15/06/2005, 4:46 PM
Everyone has their 'web' name and their real name right? I've been going up to see drogheda play since I was a wee child, everyone got to know me, I was called with 'Dave' or 'Wheelo'.

However in the last 3 months or so, everyone up in united park seems to be calling me cosmo instead of Dave or Wheelo! Even my dads old friend who has known me since I was a baby called me cosmo last week!! I got a couple of mentions in the drogs programme this year too and i was refered to as cosmo!!

Is this the new craze, calling people by their web names?

I always preferred to leave the webworld, like eh, on the web if ye know what i mean!!

I dread bringing up my non football mates to a match or to a pub afterwards as they'll get a great laugh with me being refereed to cosmo :eek: !!

useing web knicknames names in "real-life" is embarrassing and geeky.

and pointless too really, people use webnames for anonymity on the net.using them in public is slightly contradictory

dahamsta
15/06/2005, 4:48 PM
Nobody calls me dahamsta, I guess because I don't really care if people know who I am and thus sign most of my posts. It's a stupid handle anyway. :)

adam

Cosmo
15/06/2005, 5:47 PM
'useing web knicknames names in "real-life" is embarrassing and geeky.'

That's my point - im going to have to keep my non drogs mates away from the pub after matches til this dies down :mad: (if ever!! :eek: )

Gerrit
15/06/2005, 7:02 PM
I just use my real name at soccer boards. At other bords I tend to use "Nocturnal Me", named after a song of my favourite band Echo & The Bunnymen and I think it quite suits my gothic likes... Nicknames are handy on forums where you reveal info you rather keep hidden from people you know, on places where I've got nothing to hide I just use my real name.

Poor Student
15/06/2005, 7:45 PM
No one calls me by my name but I only know very few people here. I met Aberdonian Stu at the Israel game and he jokingly noticed how it was funny we were introducing ourselves by webnames. To be honest I can't even remember his name. :o I guess it depends on the name. I call CollegeTillIDie by his real name for obvious reasons, however I call Colie, Colie. Again I forgot his real name. :o I have a fair idea who Pineapple is but I don't know who Schumi is. I don't know any non-UCD fans.

tiktok
15/06/2005, 8:37 PM
I always get called by my Shelsweb username Jammer...

didn't realise that was you, why didn't you keep jammer?

Slash/ED
15/06/2005, 9:05 PM
didn't realise that was you, why didn't you keep jammer?

It happened by accident really, I signed up on another football forum, bigsoccer, and here as slash/ed first and then when I went to the Shels one I thought I'd be better off useing my real life nickname since I knew a few of the people posting on there from off the internet anyway, and by then it was too late to change my name here.

paul_oshea
15/06/2005, 10:14 PM
the funniest and most slagging i got, was asking the "barman" if he knew who pat o banton was. :o :o

pineapple stu
15/06/2005, 10:53 PM

Williams dropped the ball or something and he chanted "What a load of Wales". Audible groans and rapid disbanding of his followers SHOULD of followed. Maybe a burning at the stake....Was that you Schumi?? :)
Yeah, that was possibly me - though I think it was more like "You're Welsh, and you know you are" or something like that. Aberdonian Stu has the obscure background story exactly correct though - made sense to those of us who were at the match (even though I missed it!), but obviously not to everyone else!

Gareth
16/06/2005, 7:53 AM
Sorry if I misquoted but I think both quotes compliment each other in the level of woefulness :) so it wasn't lost in translation.

Slash/Ed, I didn't realise you were Jammer, or I did realise and forgot :)

Paul "the funniest and most slagging i got, was asking the "barman" if he knew who pat o banton was". That is very funny, or its early and I am very easily amused :)

Aberdonian Stu
16/06/2005, 9:54 AM
Well in the case of Hartson you really had to be there. It was a sunny day, we were being outplayed by a Coventry team that never left first gear and so what little chanting there had been had died down so rather than start a proper chant I just offered an observation.

Oh and Poor Student don't worry I've forgotten your name too :D

Peadar
16/06/2005, 10:05 AM
I have a fair idea who Pineapple is but I don't know who Schumi is.

There are 6 UCD fans. You're one of them and you don't know two of the most famous for certain, which means you only know 3?
Do you ever go to UCD games? :confused: :D

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 11:05 AM
Oh and Poor Student don't worry I've forgotten your name too :D

Good, good. :D

There are 6 UCD fans. You're one of them and you don't know two of the most famous for certain, which means you only know 3?
Do you ever go to UCD games? :confused: :D

Hey, how many people can claim they know 50% of their club's fanbase? I think I'm doing well. ;)

pineapple stu
16/06/2005, 11:40 AM
you don't know two of the most famous for certain
Woohoo, I'm famous! :D

Peadar
16/06/2005, 11:51 AM
Woohoo, I'm famous! :D

Perhaps I should have said, "notorious." :D

Not too many people bring a litre of pineapple juice to an eL game with them. ;)

Schumi
16/06/2005, 12:57 PM
I don't know who Schumi is.
I was the person advocating violence against Joey Ndo at the Shels match if that helps. :D

On second thoughts, I gave you your ticket for the Israel match. :rolleyes:

the funniest and most slagging i got, was asking the "barman" if he knew who pat o banton was. :o :o
And well deserved too. :D

paul_oshea
16/06/2005, 1:03 PM
ya but the thing was the barman did know ( the foot.ie one that is). but thats obviouslly what makes it funnier, he started ****ing himself at the same time, as he had a good few ub40 hits on cd.

Poor Student
16/06/2005, 1:44 PM
I was the person advocating violence against Joey Ndo at the Shels match if that helps. :D

On second thoughts, I gave you your ticket for the Israel match. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it I know who you are in that case. ;) Thanks btw. :D

Schumi
16/06/2005, 2:04 PM
Come to think of it I know who you are in that case. ;) Thanks btw. :D
Which of the two jogged your memory? :D

Drumcondra Red
16/06/2005, 2:13 PM
Slash/Ed I didn't realise you were Jammer either, and was trying to think if I knew who you were, and why you weren't on Shelsweb!!! :o