PDA

View Full Version : Worst Case Scenario

Reality Bites
15/06/2005, 11:25 AM
Sorry for this Doomsday thread in advance but it has to be said, If we don't qualify for WC2006, our seeding will drop making it really difficult to qualify for Euro 2008 WC2010 etc.., less of a chance of poaching players who qualify for Ireland through grandparent rule, (Aiden McGeady, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge etc..) I don;t think a Unity Cup in the Summer is much of an incentive) Soccer will lose its appeal and funding in this country and be edged out by God help us all - Rugby!!!!, The autumn is a massive make or Break time for Irish soccer , Heres hoping we'll all be on the Autobahn somewhere in Germany this time next with our opies of Joxer goes to Stuttgart!! Get behind the team etc to avoid this crap scenario from unfolding, although we are unconvincing so far under Kerr the french haven't been this bad in years, Cyprus are rubbish and the Swiss are average..

OwlsFan
15/06/2005, 11:34 AM
Not quite true. We had the lean years after Jack and didn't qualify for Euro 1996 or the WC 1998 or Euro 2000 or Euro 2004 so it's not such a huge disaster that you paint. In fact we've qualified for just one tournament out of the last 5 yet the buzz is still around and McGeady opted for us so fret not :D

eirebhoy
15/06/2005, 11:50 AM
I don't want to be top seed for a while yet. We should be in Pot C and I'm happy enough with that since 2 teams qualify automatically.

Peadar
15/06/2005, 1:19 PM
This has already been covered in this thread... (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=291553#post291553)

Qwerty
15/06/2005, 11:05 PM
I think the worst case scenario would be Ireland stooping to the type of gamesmanship we saw last week at Lansdowne Road.

onenilgameover
16/06/2005, 3:20 AM
I do think the **** will hit the fan if we don't qualify and rightly so...However to use a new phrase in the English Dictionary as of last week....we have ''Bouncebackability''...International Football in Ireland will remain strong as long as we the supporters want it to be and I cant see Irelan's support wavering hugely in the event of not qualifying............Support for Brian Kerr on the other hand is wavering at the moment. :ball:

Kempes1-0
16/06/2005, 1:49 PM
You mightn't be going anywhere for a while then so....seeing as how rugby overtook footy some time back!! (comercially anyway, witness the Heineken Cup ). If you're talking about numbers playing the game, then fair enough, it'll never happen.