PDA

View Full Version : Any injury updates?

Poor Student
15/06/2005, 11:09 AM
Alan Mahon, Paul Byrne, Anto Murphy and Robbie Mac have all been out for a while. Anyone know how close they are to fitness?

pineapple stu
15/06/2005, 12:35 PM
Robbie Mac was giving his knee another week or two before deciding on surgery. If he's not back for Bray, it seems likely he's gone in for the operation. Mahon and Murphy were out for a month each, give or take - probably another couple of weeks away yet. No idea about Paul Byrne though...

pineapple stu
18/06/2005, 9:06 PM
Alan Mahon's back in training as of last Wednesday. League Cup game may be too soon for him (bit of a run-out to gain fitness, etc.) ubt could be back for Bray. Anto Murphy's out for another two weeks, but Robbie Mac's out for yet another six weeks. Brian Gannon's also injured now.

pineapple stu
19/06/2005, 9:22 PM
Paul Byrne's back next week, hopefully; Brian Gannon missed Drogheda through illness and should be back in the next week or two as well.

Poor Student
19/06/2005, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the updates Stu. Can't wait for Mahon and Murphy to return. It'll make us more dynamic again down the right. I hope Pete Mahon brings in one of a left back or winger during the window, we'd have a decent squad then.

Poor Student
20/06/2005, 10:38 AM
As far as I'm concerned Damo has been a great signing. He's no out and out striker though. We've been playing him on the left wing sometimes. As far as I remember he's started most games. Personally I like the guy. He runs and runs like hell and tries the whole time. Whether he is dropped, coming off the bench or subbed off he doesn't complain. He's reasonably skillful and strong. Only problem is he has a tendency to miss headers from 6 yards.

Schumi
20/06/2005, 10:45 AM
He's played every game so far I think, a couple off the bench. He works really hard, the amount of times I've seen him making tackles back near our box is amazing for a front player. I get the impression that Mahon has him tracking back more than Galway did last year and that might be why he's not scoring as much he did there. I'd like to see him in an attacking midfield role (like Finn last year), I think that'd suit him.

Poor Student
20/06/2005, 10:47 AM
I'd like to see him in an attacking midfield role (like Finn last year), I think that'd suit him.

Me too. He certainly has the engine to merit a centre field place. He'd run through a brick wall for us. He is also one of our most creative and skillful players. He showed he was a good provider in the game against Dublin City in the League Cup.

John83
23/06/2005, 2:39 PM
Me too. He certainly has the engine to merit a centre field place. He'd run through a brick wall for us. He is also one of our most creative and skillful players. He showed he was a good provider in the game against Dublin City in the League Cup.
I'm not so sure about that. If I have a gripe about him, it's his passing. It's either poor or sloppy. Given the rest of his game, I'd suggest poor. That's far from ideal for an attacking mid.

el tk
24/06/2005, 5:59 PM
He'd run through a brick wall for us..

Pity he won't score more than a goal for us...

Poor Student
24/06/2005, 6:03 PM
Pity he won't score more than a goal for us...

It doesn't matter who scores as long as we win. He works hard and he hasn't alway been playing up front for us. Playing up front for UCD is a thankless task. We don't have a great link up between midfield and strikers this season and it involves a strong holding up job. I think he is doing fine.

Incidentally, welcome tk, always nice to see a new Student join the forums. That is unless you're someone with just a new username. :D

el tk
25/06/2005, 3:04 PM
Sure he does a lot of donkey work but even when he's in forward positions he never looks threatening - UCD need a tall target man in the shape of Doherty or Quinn that the rest of them can play off.

Thanks for the welcome, I am indeed new to here, as far as I can remember

pineapple stu
26/06/2005, 1:36 PM
I am indeed new to here, as far as I can remember
:D

Good start anyway!

Sure he does a lot of donkey work but even when he's in forward positions he never looks threatening - UCD need a tall target man in the shape of Doherty or Quinn that the rest of them can play off.
What about Whitmarsh? Didn't get to the Bray game, but looks like the kind of lad who can hold the ball up. Haerd he set up a goal or two as well.

el tk
26/06/2005, 3:44 PM
What about Whitmarsh? Didn't get to the Bray game, but looks like the kind of lad who can hold the ball up. Haerd he set up a goal or two as well.

He's not tall enough for an old-fashioned style target man.

Poor Student
26/06/2005, 9:39 PM
el tk, I've debated this with myself and noticed we lacked the type of player you've described. However our strikers drop back very often and drift wide performing a lot of hard work for the team, picking up and winning the ball. That leaves the front line missing sometimes when we win the ball however I wonder how we would be doing without agile mobile front players to track back and get stuck in. We also don't really like to go the Route 1 option, again having such a player would require us to revaluate our game plan having to utilise such a player's strengths.

Schumi
27/06/2005, 10:59 AM
What about Whitmarsh? Didn't get to the Bray game, but looks like the kind of lad who can hold the ball up. Heard he set up a goal or two as well.
I wasn't overly impressed with him I have to say.

el tk
27/06/2005, 5:17 PM
el tk, I've debated this with myself and noticed we lacked the type of player you've described. However our strikers drop back very often and drift wide performing a lot of hard work for the team, picking up and winning the ball. That leaves the front line missing sometimes when we win the ball however I wonder how we would be doing without agile mobile front players to track back and get stuck in. We also don't really like to go the Route 1 option, again having such a player would require us to revaluate our game plan having to utilise such a player's strengths.

Here's the thing- UCD are, technically speaking, not a good football team, I'm not saying we need to play route one all the time but it would be nice to have the option- especially after watching us play route 84 for all of last season.

CollegeTillIDie
27/06/2005, 9:02 PM
Here's the thing- UCD are, technically speaking, not a good football team, I'm not saying we need to play route one all the time but it would be nice to have the option- especially after watching us play route 84 for all of last season.

Route 1 requires a 6 foot frozen to death forward....where is he pray tell? Maybe we should borrow Carmel from the women's team?

Poor Student
27/06/2005, 9:31 PM
Although we are forgetting Paul Byrne, he must be 6 feet or more? Last time I saw him play he won a lot in the air, was it against Bohs? He is also fairly mobile to boot and has shown he can find the net.

CollegeTillIDie
28/06/2005, 7:14 PM
Although we are forgetting Paul Byrne, he must be 6 feet or more? Last time I saw him play he won a lot in the air, was it against Bohs? He is also fairly mobile to boot and has shown he can find the net.
He's still injured ! :confused:

pineapple stu
28/06/2005, 9:06 PM
Hopefully back this week, I think.

Poor Student
01/07/2005, 9:36 AM
No word on Byrne but aertel says Alan Mahon, Anto Murphy and Damo Dupuy are available for selection tonight.

pineapple stu
01/07/2005, 10:14 AM
Eleven-a-side says Byrne's back too. Just leaves McAuley.

Poor Student
01/07/2005, 2:01 PM
Accroding to that fountain of knowledge and information on the eL, the Irish Times, Byrne is still out. Seems they love Tony Mac as much as we do though. They gave him quite an amount of column space by their standards for an eL player at a not so big club. :eek:

I wonder if Pete Mahon will toss them back into such a crucial match.

pineapple stu
01/07/2005, 2:03 PM
Saw that! Think Thornley must have been reading CTID's post here!

CollegeTillIDie
01/07/2005, 10:46 PM
Saw that! Think Thornley must have been reading CTID's post here!

Thornley is in New Zealand covering the rugby! I think you mean Emmet Malone