PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics

onenilgameover
13/06/2005, 11:48 PM
Howaya Lads and Ladies...

I'm looking for a bit of info really...I'm goin over to the States (Boston) in August and will try to catch a Red Sox Game at Fenway probably v White Sox with my uncle who is American. I'm looking to learn up on American sports so I can impress him with stats and info etc. and not come across like stupid sonofab!tch. I know the Red Sox won the World Series last year and the Patriots are starting something of a monopoly with the Superbowl but thats all I know really.

So a couple of questions for those in the know stateside and for those just in the know...

Is it only Baseball that is played in the Summer?

How are the Red Sox doing now...?

How deos the system work ie How do they get into the Playoffs etc..?

How are the Cetics/Bruins doing? Have they won anything important in the
last while?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated? :) I'm afraid I've ignored my roots... :(

carrickharp
14/06/2005, 8:24 AM
Is it only Baseball that is played in the Summer? Yeah

How are the Red Sox doing now...? OK they are hanging in there, ahead of the Yankees who are having a crap season.

Red Sox Game at Fenway probably v White Sox. It is very difficult to get tickets for Fenway the way it is and this season The White Sox have the best record this season so far.

How are the Cetics/Bruins doing? Have they won anything important in the
last while? Fook all

For more baseball info click HERE (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb)

Aberdonian Stu
14/06/2005, 9:00 AM
Yeah Celtics used to dominate but haven't done anything for a long time (pretty much since Larry Byrd retired).

shedite
14/06/2005, 1:21 PM
Baseball league table is shown as what percentage of games they have won. At the moment Red Sox are about .500 which means thay have won about half their games. That won't be good enough for the playoffs, so they have to catch the Baltimore Orioles who have won 3 more games than Red Sox. They should be able to do that with a late push.

Patriots are the perfect team at the moment. Won 3 out of last 4, set a record of 21 straight wins last season, and won 9 last playoff games. There are no superstars unlike most NFL teams and it really is playing for each other stuff. Their quarterback Tom Brady was out of contract and could have asked for (and probably got) stupid money, but he accepted a lower wage coz of the team spirit.

Celtics won their division this year (like the group stage of world cup), but then went out of the playoffs at the first round to Indiana Pacers this year. they've a young team and one guy in particular, Al Jefferson, is gonna amazing. Most say the new Shaq. He never went to college so he's only 18 which is crazy young for NBA.

NHL had a wage dispute last year coz the season before 24 out of 30 teams made a loss. The owners wanted a salary cap (like in NFL), but obviously the players didn't. They argued for months over what the salary cap would be, and now it looks like every team will be allowed to spend a different amount on wages based on the attendances they get.

And that's Boston sports in a nutshell!

Metrostars
14/06/2005, 9:11 PM
While you're there head out to Foxboro to see a Revs game, you will be able to get tickets at the stadium. MLS also plays in the summer here. Also on August 18, there is a USA World Cup qualifer against Trinidad & Tobago in Hartford which is about an hour and a half from Boston, you can get tickets from Ticketmaster.

Revs: http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/
USA Soccer: http://www.ussoccer.com/events/report.sps?iEventID=17144&categoryid=66
Good page for Red Sucks history: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/history/index.jsp

shedite
14/06/2005, 10:13 PM
Also Avery John is their star defender!

onenilgameover
14/06/2005, 11:52 PM
Nice one...

Thats all top notch info...I wouldn't mind taking in that Qualifier and a ''revs'' match too although I don't know how many sporting events the Misses can handle.....Well we'ill find out anyhoo.... :)

It seems like apart from the Ice Hockey and The BasketBall........ Boston teams have been really outdoing themselves. Is their a good feeling throughout Boston and New England because of their teams doing well and did it start with the Patriots winning the Superbowl and spread across to the Red Sox aswell. Seems great for the people as they were a long time without a World Series and a Superbowl...

Again thanks all.........

De Town
15/06/2005, 12:06 AM
ah dont get me started on that wánker :mad:

Metrostars
15/06/2005, 2:29 AM
Nice one...

Thats all top notch info...I wouldn't mind taking in that Qualifier and a ''revs'' match too although I don't know how many sporting events the Misses can handle.....Well we'ill find out anyhoo.... :)

It seems like apart from the Ice Hockey and The BasketBall........ Boston teams have been really outdoing themselves. Is their a good feeling throughout Boston and New England because of their teams doing well and did it start with the Patriots winning the Superbowl and spread across to the Red Sox aswell. Seems great for the people as they were a long time without a World Series and a Superbowl...

Again thanks all.........

If you're interested going to a Revs game you should hook up with the guys in their fan club "The Midnight Riders" for their tailgate party before the games...a good bunch of folks I've heard. They have a website http://midnightriders.com/ They would also have the best info for transportation to Hartford from Boston. I'm going to the US Qualifier in Hartford with a bunch of folks.

Macy
15/06/2005, 8:31 AM
Or is that John Avery :rolleyes: