PDA

View Full Version : Hurling not an All-Ireland game

pete
13/06/2005, 2:23 PM
I'm no GAA fan but if had to choose would pick hurling over foorball.

Considering only at most 1/4 of the country plays hurling at reasonable level should it not be reclassified as a regional Munster sport?

Peadar
13/06/2005, 2:27 PM
Considering only at most 1/4 of the country plays hurling at reasonable level should it not be reclassified as a regional Munster sport?

You'd have to exclude Kilkenny so then.
Wexford and Galway aren't too shabby with the small ball either.
There was a time when the BIFFO's could hurl, but not yesterday, obviously! :D

Macy
13/06/2005, 2:29 PM
Just not as accessable as bogball, since hurling is a game of skill rather than fitness like the GAA's other great day tripper competition....

btw Shouldn't this be in "other sports"?

pete
13/06/2005, 2:30 PM
You'd have to exclude Kilkenny so then.

Maybe could say no hurling in northern half of the island so?

superfrank
13/06/2005, 2:31 PM
The Dubs aren't too bad. I thought Offaly weren't that bad either.

If you were saying it's a solely Munster sport then I think the Kerrymen would have something to say about it.........

Peadar
13/06/2005, 2:31 PM
Maybe could say no hurling in northern half of the island so?

Don't let the Antrim boys hear you say that though.
They might find it hard to explain why they all carry Hurleys. :D

Aberdonian Stu
13/06/2005, 2:33 PM
Well we've been pretty useless in recent years.

Too much politicking preventing a decent development programme. We should be in the process of developing a decent senior side as the minors of 98-2002 were all quite useful but instead we're the worst of the five teams in Leinster.

superfrank
13/06/2005, 2:40 PM
Actuall a few of my mates play hurley down here and they seem to have a pretty decent underage team, they're all about 16/17, so in a few years the Garden County will be a force to be reckoned with!!! :D

pete
13/06/2005, 10:04 PM
The Dubs aren't too bad. I thought Offaly weren't that bad either.

Yesterdays scoreline was like a 5-1 or 6-1 thumping in football (soccer).

Alena
14/06/2005, 5:59 AM
Like we said on other posts Hurling is slowly growing in popularity world wide. If it was to be reclassified it should move into a world wide classification it’s not just played in Ireland anymore and it is defiantly not just a Regional Munster sport even though it’s a talent filled region.

Aberdonian Stu
14/06/2005, 9:02 AM
Well I hate to break it to you but it's not the first time Wicklow have had good underage teams, been fairly common for a while. Generally falls apart when they get older. Kildare has similar problems.

Superhoops
14/06/2005, 11:22 PM
Actuall a few of my mates play hurley down here and they seem to have a pretty decent underage team, they're all about 16/17, so in a few years the Garden County will be a force to be reckoned with!!! :D
Not a chance. It's not in their 'nature' to be good hurlers. I have seen many underage players and teams coming through Wicklow over the years but they never go on to complete at the highest level.

For years I wondered why the likes of Kilkenny/Tipperary always produced better hurlers that other counties, Wicklow included. On a visit to Kilkenny several years ago I got an insight into why. I was passing through Thomastown one day when the kids were coming out of school. Virtually every one of them, girls included, was carrying a caman and as they walked up the street they were deftly knocking sliothars across the road to each other. Not a car hit nor a window broken, hurling was as natural as walking. Over the next couple of days while travelling around the county, what I had seen in Thomastown was not uncommon in several towns and villages. In Kilkenny City, I saw a gang of about a dozen lads who were working on a building site and who were on their lunch break, knocking a ball around to each other.

Compare this to travelling around Wickow, I couldn't tell you the last time, if ever, I saw anyone walking up the main street in Bray, Wicklow or Arklow even carrying a caman, never mind using it. The odd time you might see a few lads in places like on the green in Glenealy or in Carnew knocking it about, but nowhere near like what I had seen in Kilkenny, where sharpening up the hurling skills appears to be a 'natural' part of their everyday lives.

That's my view on it anyway, I may be wrong.

hamish
14/06/2005, 11:57 PM
Not a chance. It's not in their 'nature' to be good hurlers. I have seen many underage players and teams coming through Wicklow over the years but they never go on to complete at the highest level.

For years I wondered why the likes of Kilkenny/Tipperary always produced better hurlers that other counties, Wicklow included. On a visit to Kilkenny several years ago I got an insight into why. I was passing through Thomastown one day when the kids were coming out of school. Virtually every one of them, girls included, was carrying a caman and as they walked up the street they were deftly knocking sliothars across the road to each other. Not a car hit nor a window broken, hurling was as natural as walking. Over the next couple of days while travelling around the county, what I had seen in Thomastown was not uncommon in several towns and villages. In Kilkenny City, I saw a gang of about a dozen lads who were working on a building site and who were on their lunch break, knocking a ball around to each other.

Compare this to travelling around Wickow, I couldn't tell you the last time, if ever, I saw anyone walking up the main street in Bray, Wicklow or Arklow even carrying a caman, never mind using it. The odd time you might see a few lads in places like on the green in Glenealy or in Carnew knocking it about, but nowhere near like what I had seen in Kilkenny, where sharpening up the hurling skills appears to be a 'natural' part of their everyday lives.

That's my view on it anyway, I may be wrong.

I think you're onto something there. While I'm footie through and through have a great gra for hurling.

When I was in better shape used to puck a ball or two with the godson in the back field and it's amazing how one can develop the skills even over and hour or two. I often wonder about all these skills/coaching programmes in all sports and do they really help kids or turn them into automatons. Just a thought.
I do know that football is very popular with hurlers - maybe they recognise the skill factor in both games. Nicky English, for example, was very good at footie and a big soccer (sorry) fan. Ditto DJ Carey. Wasn't Tom Cashman an Irish under age team mate with Frank Stapleton??

dancinpants
15/06/2005, 3:53 AM
Like we said on other posts Hurling is slowly growing in popularity world wide. If it was to be reclassified it should move into a world wide classification it’s not just played in Ireland anymore and it is defiantly not just a Regional Munster sport even though it’s a talent filled region.

Yeah but in other countries its almost exclusively organised by ex-pats. If they didn't devote their time and effort - nobody abroad would give a toss.

Alena
15/06/2005, 9:44 AM
Yes and no Dancinpants there are more and more teams without ex pats includeing my club which was started by americans and all of our players at this time are american some of which have devoted a lot of time and effort We would love to have some Irish players but like I said we dont at this time and thats ok we will keep on playing and cont. to teach people about these great sports

pete
15/06/2005, 11:37 AM
I wasn't disputing that hurling played throughout the country just that only handful of counties play at even half decent level. All-Ireland is as uncompetitive as can get.

Macy
15/06/2005, 11:51 AM
I wasn't disputing that hurling played throughout the country just that only handful of counties play at even half decent level. All-Ireland is as uncompetitive as can get.
Aye, no chance of a Westmeath type surprise winner of a provincial title that's for sure. And those counties that have been bubbling under for years never seem to make any real progress....