PDA

View Full Version : John Joe Patrick Finn M Getafe b.2003

Pages : [1] 2

tommy_c12000
05/12/2020, 2:49 PM
17 year old winger made his debut on 84th minute for Getafe today in La Liga in their 3-0 loss. One to keep an eye on

pineapple stu
05/12/2020, 3:01 PM
Oh that's interesting. Turns it from maybe being a token youth call-up - maybe due to others having covid - to a player with possibly genuine promise.

Is he capped at any level yet?

seanfhear
05/12/2020, 3:45 PM
17 year old winger made his debut on 84th minute for Getafe today in La Liga in their 3-0 loss. One to keep an eye on
Four Christian Names !

ColourfulPeanut
05/12/2020, 4:06 PM
Interesting that he's going by John Patrick and has J. Patrick on the back of his shirt which looks pretty cool!

pineapple stu
05/12/2020, 7:47 PM
Wiki says he hasn't played for the reserves yet, which is remarkable. He's either being fast-tracked, or they're very short of players at the moment for whatever reason

Also says he's eligible for Spain, Ireland and Cameroon, but doesn't mention France, strangely.

samhaydenjr
06/12/2020, 2:13 AM
Four Christian Names !

I've heard you should never trust a man with two first names (or three in the TV series Justified) - so how should we treat a man with four?!

Seriously, though, Stephen Kenny needs to get on the blower to Getafe and ensure we don't lose Finn and Nolan for want of trying - could give Finn a call-up for the U19 qualifiers in March

tommy_c12000
12/12/2020, 4:17 PM
Came on in 87 minutes today. Getafe losing again 0-1 to Sevilla. Nolan unused substitute (as he was for their B team last week which was unusual)

Razors left peg
14/12/2020, 4:35 PM
Has this kid ever shown any interest in playing for Ireland do we know? Im sure since he was so high profile at Real he would have been approached by the FAI at some point.

Eirambler
14/12/2020, 5:31 PM
There's nothing at all to suggest that he is interested in playing for us. There are under 19 qualifiers in the spring so we'll find out then but I have a feeling this lad will never pull on an Ireland jersey.

Razors left peg
14/12/2020, 5:48 PM
In the category of Deji Sotona in Nice so. Keep an eye on him but will probably not play for us

ColourfulPeanut
14/12/2020, 9:57 PM
In the category of Deji Sotona in Nice so. Keep an eye on him but will probably not play for us
Sotona has played for us underage at least. It's not uncommon for some of these lads who have non-Irish born parents and heritage to just not be that bothered. Wouldn't rule him out either.

samhaydenjr
15/12/2020, 2:13 AM
OK, let's get it right this time - make sure he has an Irish passport, then let him play competitive underage internationals for Spain - when it becomes clear he's not in the top 50 Spanish players of his time, he chooses to make a permanent switch to the only country he can now qualify for... Us!

Charlie Darwin
15/12/2020, 5:17 AM
We could probably just ask him to the next U19 camp, which might be a bit simpler.

Olé Olé
15/12/2020, 6:29 AM
There's nothing at all to suggest that he is interested in playing for us. There are under 19 qualifiers in the spring so we'll find out then but I have a feeling this lad will never pull on an Ireland jersey.

And can I counter by asking you what evidence there is to suggest that he is not interested in playing for us?

bainneban
15/12/2020, 8:31 AM
Has this kid ever shown any interest in playing for Ireland do we know? Im sure since he was so high profile at Real he would have been approached by the FAI at some point.

He was nine years old when he went to Real Madrid. I don't think the FAI approach nine year olds. He was released by Madrid and spent time in regional leagues as far as I know so not likely to be on the radar.

livehead1
15/12/2020, 8:35 AM
And can I counter by asking you what evidence there is to suggest that he is not interested in playing for us?

He hasn't played for Ireland.

ColourfulPeanut
15/12/2020, 8:40 AM
OK, let's get it right this time - make sure he has an Irish passport, then let him play competitive underage internationals for Spain - when it becomes clear he's not in the top 50 Spanish players of his time, he chooses to make a permanent switch to the only country he can now qualify for... Us!
His dad is Irish born so the passport isn't even an issue as he's a citizen at birth. Just need to invite him to camps and get him involved soon really.

irishfan86
15/12/2020, 8:43 AM
Let’s call him up and see what happens. The worst thing he can do is say no. But speaking as a guy who grew up outside of Ireland but has always felt a strong connection to Ireland and the national team, I’d urge the FAI to be proactive in engaging potential dual nationals.

I suspect in some cases modesty prevents these players from making the first move, and in reality some of these guys would love to be involved in our setup.

Put more basically, how many of us would do anything to make our dad proud? Maybe this guy feels no affinity for Ireland and if that’s the case then he shouldn’t be involved with us — but my attitude is — let’s ask the question in good faith if he’s interested, and take it from there.

Exgrad
15/12/2020, 9:13 AM
He's had quite a high profile and v strong irish roots, been in press since 2013. Is there reason to think he hasn't been approached? Maybe he wasn't selected??! He does seem to have come out of the blue ability wise, realised by Real Madrid to making La Liga debut a couple of years later with zero updates on him in between really.

tetsujin1979
15/12/2020, 9:44 AM
To be fair, there hasn't been a lot of games for him to play in. The U17s elite round qualifiers in March were cancelled, so this year they only played two friendlies against Switzerland in February.
From that squad - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/55506/2020/999946371 - Evan Ferguson (born October 2004) and Andrew Moran(b. October 2003) are both younger than Finn (b. September 2003)
He's overage for the qualifiers for the 2021 UEFA U17 Champinships (players born on or after 1st January 2004 are eligible), so is eligible for the U19s. The U19s were drawn against Poland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Estonia in Group 7, which is being held here in March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification#Group_7 - so let's wait and see if he's in that squad.
Of course, if he's playing regularly in La Liga at that stage, there will be calls for him to be in the senior squad to play Serbia, Luxembourg, and Qatar in March

If you really want to muddy the waters, would playing him against Qatar - not technically a competitive international, but in the group fixtures - tie him to us internationally?

nigel-harps1954
15/12/2020, 12:22 PM

Neither have I, but I'd still be interested.

CraftyToePoke
15/12/2020, 3:40 PM
You will yet Nigel.

Charlie Darwin
17/12/2020, 1:21 AM
If you really want to muddy the waters, would playing him against Qatar - not technically a competitive international, but in the group fixtures - tie him to us internationally?
It would tie him for three years, in lieu of a competitive game.

tetsujin1979
17/12/2020, 8:40 AM
Included in the squad for tonight's Copa Del Rey game, but no place for Nolan

tetsujin1979
17/12/2020, 4:37 PM
Starts tonight in the Copa del Rey - game is live on Premier Sports at 6

Diggs246
18/12/2020, 9:25 AM
Do we know how he got on? Rating or the like

tetsujin1979
18/12/2020, 1:19 PM
Played the full game

Trequartista20
18/12/2020, 2:39 PM
Does this lad want to play for us?

elatedscum
18/12/2020, 3:18 PM
There's some nice photos floating about the place of him kicking a ball round Ballyhaunis as a 9 year old when visiting with his parents. Kennyskids (who's 'retirement' lasted a week or so) said that his father has passed away. Obviously you could imagine that would impact what he might choose to do, one way or another.

pineapple stu
18/12/2020, 3:26 PM
I think given he seems to have come from nowhere - hasn't played reserve team football yet - he's flown under the radar internationally. Probably explains why he's not been capped by anyone at any level.

We can but see what happens, but you'd have to be looking at an U21 call-up at least for the next session. See what happens then.

elatedscum
18/12/2020, 8:16 PM
The U17 Euros has just been cancelled. Wasn't really sure what thread to put this in.

U19 is still going ahead for now, so Finn could be called up to the U19s come March.

There won't be any competitive u21 games until September I suppose...

Exgrad
22/12/2020, 1:03 PM
Nathan Murphy from Newstalk on twitter (sorry cant post link at moment) says Finn is in with the Spanish U17s at moment. Grandfather still lives in Ballyhaunis, and Ireland trying to get him involved. This one might run.

seanfhear
22/12/2020, 1:22 PM
Nathan Murphy from Newstalk on twitter (sorry cant post link at moment) says Finn is in with the Spanish U17s at moment. Grandfather still lives in Ballyhaunis, and Ireland trying to get him involved. This one might run.
Louis Walsh ( from around that neck of the woods ) could get him in to a boy band and take it from there.

tetsujin1979
22/12/2020, 1:43 PM

John83
15/01/2021, 12:16 PM
Pops up in this article on the 10 youngest players in Europe’s big leagues:
https://www.football365.com/news/feature-top-10-youngest-players-europe-moukoko-musiala-bellingham

ColourfulPeanut
15/01/2021, 2:59 PM
He was added to FIFA 21 in the latest update. Doesn't mean much of anything other than being mildly interesting but they have him in it as Spanish with decent potential!
https://sofifa.com/player/260195/john-patrick-finn-benoa/210020/

Eirambler
15/01/2021, 4:00 PM
Accurate from EA - he is Spanish and does have a lot of potential.

seanfhear
15/01/2021, 5:20 PM
Accurate from EA - he is Spanish and does have a lot of potential.
So had De Velera ( Ok , Half Spanish ) and see how that turned out !

Razors left peg
28/01/2021, 10:52 PM
https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/1354927479539064834?s=20

Kenny says he has made an approach to him. They did a presentation to him and his mother and are waiting for him to make a decision.

My personal opinion is that this seems to be a proper professional approach that wouldnt have happened with previous managers. We are all aware how little communication previous managers seem to have with prospective players. The ball is in Finns court now and if he choses not to play for us thats fine, but at least we know we went about it the right way.

ColourfulPeanut
28/01/2021, 11:04 PM
They mention him being eligible for England as well. First I've heard of that. Must be a granny on his late father's side maybe?

Razors left peg
28/01/2021, 11:27 PM
They mention him being eligible for England as well. First I've heard of that. Must be a granny on his late father's side maybe?

Yeah that seems to have taken everyone by surprise. He is a perfect example of why nationality is not always as simple as some people would like to think. Children of immigrants have big choices to make, and as long as they are honest about it there is no issue. It gets messy when someone acts like Grealish or Rice.

I'll be delighted if he choses to play for us and is all in, if he feels more Spanish that is totally understandable, or if he makes a "career" decision to play for England thats ok too as long as he is upfront about it from the beginning.

Olé Olé
29/01/2021, 6:27 AM
Or maybe his father or mother were born there. Ryan Johansson, for example, also qualified for England as his mother was born there before.moving back to Ireland.

Hopefully someone also put a call in with his family in Mayo. Would be great if they could help coax him our direction.

Deckydee
19/03/2021, 10:08 AM
On the Éire Guide FB =>

Reports suggest that 17-year-old striker John Joe Patrick Finn of Getafe has declared for Ireland. Great news and only an injury has kept him out of being named in the Irish U21s.

Diggs246
19/03/2021, 10:11 AM
Amazing news. Can we get further confirmation

Exgrad
19/03/2021, 10:32 AM
Amazing news. Can we get further confirmation

From the horses mouth, Jim Crawford at this zoom conference this morning, Finn would have been in the u21 squad only he is injured. This could be great news and a credit to Kenny, Crawford and the rest for getting him on board. Obviously a path way has been laid our for him and he's bought into it.

Diggs246
19/03/2021, 11:27 AM
From the horses mouth, Jim Crawford at this zoom conference this morning, Finn would have been in the u21 squad only he is injured. This could be great news and a credit to Kenny, Crawford and the rest for getting him on board. Obviously a path way has been laid our for him and he's bought into it.

That's great stuff! He would nearly be in the senior squad if he is playing in la Liga ( I always jump the gun tbf)

Olé Olé
19/03/2021, 11:56 AM
https://www.the42.ie/la-liga-teenager-john-joe-patrick-finn-set-to-line-out-for-ireland-u21s-5386137-Mar2021/

“I’ve been speaking to John-Joe and his mother numerous times and he certainly wants to play for the Republic of Ireland,” Crawford said during a press conference today.
“Unfortunately, he picked up an injury a couple of days ago and is out for 10 or 12 days. That’s a little bit of disappointment for us and John-Joe.
“But the most important thing is that John-Joe gets himself fit and back playing again. We had a lot of conversations over the last number of weeks and they’ve all been positive.
“I’ve no doubt for the next window, if everything is fine, we’ll have John-Joe onboard.”

Olé Olé
19/03/2021, 11:56 AM
https://www.the42.ie/la-liga-teenager-john-joe-patrick-finn-set-to-line-out-for-ireland-u21s-5386137-Mar2021/

“I’ve been speaking to John-Joe and his mother numerous times and he certainly wants to play for the Republic of Ireland,” Crawford said during a press conference today.
“Unfortunately, he picked up an injury a couple of days ago and is out for 10 or 12 days. That’s a little bit of disappointment for us and John-Joe.
“But the most important thing is that John-Joe gets himself fit and back playing again. We had a lot of conversations over the last number of weeks and they’ve all been positive.
“I’ve no doubt for the next window, if everything is fine, we’ll have John-Joe onboard.”

Diggs246
19/03/2021, 12:02 PM
If your name is John joe it should be illegal to play for any other country

SkStu
19/03/2021, 12:21 PM

That really is a fantastic bit of news by all accounts!