PDA

View Full Version : Confederations Cup

Pages : [1] 2

superfrank
13/06/2005, 12:52 PM
I know it's just a competition FIFA threw together for more money and to intensify the excitement for the World Cup next year but I'm still going to watch it to see our competition.

I say Greece will fall apart though. I want Brazil to win it. Any body else got a view on it?

I think RTE2 are showing all the matches. :rolleyes:

tetsujin1979
13/06/2005, 3:01 PM
I'm going to watch it cause there's fcuk all else football on!

Yeah, Brazil look likely winners, should be good for a laugh. Wonder how knackered the players from this tournament will be this time next year?? Very little time to recuperate before the start of the next season.

Eirambler
13/06/2005, 3:42 PM
Anyone know if its on terrestial in the UK? It sounds like the kind of thing Channel 5 would show!

onenilgameover
13/06/2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah Greece seem to be giving up the ghost alright...looks like they might not qualify for the World cup either...I reckon they might make a show of themselves alright. In fairness this Confederations Cup thingy will be a hard judge of our Competition as its not really played with any competitive spirit. But hey its international football and its on da telly so I will probably catch a game or 2...

Frank Blue
14/06/2005, 7:26 AM
All the games are being televised here in Germany. I got a ticket for the final as a present. Looking forward to it. All being well, the way the groups have been organised, Argentina will play Brasil in the final.

ColinR
14/06/2005, 8:34 AM
Anyone know if its on terrestial in the UK? It sounds like the kind of thing Channel 5 would show!

the last time it was on i think eurosport had it, so i'd doubt even channel 5 have it on

superfrank
14/06/2005, 3:52 PM
Today FIFA ordered the Mexico national team to recall four players that were released for Guadalajara's Copa Libertadores campaign.

Guadalajara have reached the Quarter Finals of the Copa Libertadores and lead Boca Juniors 4-0 going into their away tie on Tuesday.

Jesus Corona, Alberto Medina, Ramon Morales and Omar Bravo are all in Argentina at the moment but FIFA want all teams in the Confederations Cup to be able to field a full strength squad so they have declared that the four players in question can not play for their club and the Mexican Football Federation could be suspended if they play.

Coltron
15/06/2005, 11:12 AM
I've heard its on Eurosport a day later, ie they just have the rights to show the repeats.

I think Greece will do half decent, always liked them. They are struggling to qualify but in the Ukrane game they had about 70% possesion but just could make the breakthrough. Argentina seem to going well at the moment but may not take it that seriously, they have rested a handful of players, Ayala and Crespo and someothers. Germany are taking it serious as its the only half competitive games they have before the WC so expect them to put in a good show. Brasil historically have done well in this so all in all should be good.

Aberdonian Stu
15/06/2005, 11:58 AM
Forcing teams to pick a strong squad is ridiculous. For starters last time I checked the manager picked who he liked for whatever reason he liked so who are Fife to butt in?

tetsujin1979
15/06/2005, 12:26 PM
Don't Nike do the same thing with Brazil - remember Ronaldo in '98??

Eirambler
15/06/2005, 2:11 PM
Its live on channel 5 starting tonight.

Worst commentaters ever (even worse than Marty Morrissey), but better than nothing!

superfrank
15/06/2005, 5:19 PM
Brian Kerr is supposed to be in the RTE studio tonight so no doubt they'll be shovelling sh!t on him over the Israel match.

Kingdom
15/06/2005, 8:00 PM
Watching the match . Deutschland playing nice stuff going forward but are poor defensively in midfield.

Keith O'Neill is doing punditry on Rte Two. Seriously. And he is great, could even be up there with Frnk Stapleton. And its 2-2 to the Kangaroo's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

But in all in anyways, I love the way the stadium announcers go on after a German goal over there. They say the first name of the goalscorer and urge the supporters to shout out the second name . Sounds cool. Wonder could it ever be done in Lansdowne?

dancinpants
15/06/2005, 8:43 PM
3-2 Germany now. Australia giving them a run for their money?

Kingdom
15/06/2005, 8:49 PM
4-2 now. Oops 4-3.
Cracker team goal finished by Podolski. Can't wait to see him and Scweinsteiger in the WC next year. Add to that Deisler and Kuranyi - man they are good going forward.

Yeah kind of a strange game. 4 goals in the space of 7 mins and then a lull then the Germans go 3-2 up and then another two goals in the space of 2 mins.

Germany have controlled the game bar a few lapses in concentration.

eirebhoy
15/06/2005, 9:05 PM
Germany could certainly do with a Kenny Cunningham at the back. That defense is brutal. There was no line at all. Brett Emerton was left completely free 6 yards out for the last goal. The more I watch Huth, the more I feel he's vastly overrated.

superfrank
15/06/2005, 10:51 PM
Fcukin' Germans, why they have to win?? :mad: I didn't think they played that well. Podolski is good though. :D

Frank Blue
16/06/2005, 7:19 AM
Fcukin' Germans, why they have to win?? :mad: I didn't think they played that well. Podolski is good though. :D

I've been telling people about Podolski for ages. All the press bang on about Rooney, but for me, perhaps having seen a bit more of Podolski recently here in Germany, he is the more skilful player.
Huth is and always will be a big chinned donkey. He's only playing since he plays for Chelsea.

I felt sorry for the Aussies, as I think they more than scared the Germans.

Jaime
16/06/2005, 7:38 AM
The dingoes are a big tough, team, and I can see their game against Argentina being a bit of a bloodbath. I can only agree with what's been said about Huth. Most other Chelsea fans I know love him just because he's big, and has that brute factor. When he made one of his first starts, against United at OT on May 2004, all he did was foul Van Nistelrooy for 90 minutes, and everyone was fawning over him. He certainly doesn't convince me, although having said that, Mourinho clearly sees something in him, at least as a squad player, and you tend to trust Mourinho.

Dodge
16/06/2005, 9:46 AM
Sod the game, what abot that stadium? A four sided big screen thing in the middle of the stadium? Barry Ryan would have that down within ten minutes with his kicks

Jaime
16/06/2005, 10:31 AM
Barry Ryan's "kicks" getting him into trouble, there's a joke there somewhere... :)

superfrank
16/06/2005, 11:30 AM
Huth is and always will be a big chinned donkey. He's only playing since he plays for Chelsea.
Agreed but try telling that to fat-head Klinnsman. Huth doesn't even play for Chelsea that much though.

I felt sorry for the Aussies, as I think they more than scared the Germans.
They did but in fairness the Germans had the most chances and if it weren't for Schwarzer, it would've been 6 or 7! No exaggerating!! :eek:

He certainly doesn't convince me, although having said that, Mourinho clearly sees something in him, at least as a squad player, and you tend to trust Mourinho.
I don't see much in him, but then again almost any other centre half would struggle next to John Terry. ;)

Barry Ryan's "kicks" getting him into trouble, there's a joke there somewhere... :)
Give me a sec........ :D

glasgabhainn
16/06/2005, 12:11 PM
What about the "punditry" last night? Keith O'Neill prophesising on the state of German soccer? Profound. He kept interrupting Kerr as well. Think at one stage, he told Kerr we needed a Kevin Kuranyi-esque striker up front for Ireland. If Keith says it, it must surely be true.

Kerr was getting in a few subtle digs at the meejah as well. When Professor O'Neill mentioned Beckenbauer's critique of Klinsmanns young defence, Kerr stated something along the lines of 'sure, that's what former managers do'. Wonder if Johnny Giles was watching.

As for the match itself, it was nice to see Kevin Muscat up to his old kicking talented players in the thigh trick. I'd say Schweinsteiger had a nice battlewound this morning.

superfrank
16/06/2005, 12:15 PM
I never could stand Keith O'Neill. Where's he been hiding himself all these years??

superfrank
16/06/2005, 1:33 PM
Japan -v- Mexico 1700 (BST) in Hannover
Brazil -v- Greece 2000 (BST) in Leipzig

Live coverage of Brazil -v- Greece on RTE2 from 1945 (BST) featuring highlights of Japan -v- Mexico.

eirebhoy
16/06/2005, 2:27 PM
I never could stand Keith O'Neill. Where's he been hiding himself all these years??
He's certainly making up for it now. He's never off the TV. He wants to get into presenting. :eek:

Kingdom
16/06/2005, 2:37 PM
Sod the game, what abot that stadium? A four sided big screen thing in the middle of the stadium? Barry Ryan would have that down within ten minutes with his kicks

Cool stadium and couldn't help think the same thing myself Dodge. At one stage the German defence let the ball roll 30 yds to Kahn , who had a long look up and I was screaming "Do it, do it, do it now, do it!" in the hope that he'd try.

Ps never mind Barry Ryan trying to get the ball that high up JOS would be my nomination.

Kingdom
16/06/2005, 2:38 PM
What about the "punditry" last night? Keith O'Neill prophesising on the state of German soccer? Profound. He kept interrupting Kerr as well. Think at one stage, he told Kerr we needed a Kevin Kuranyi-esque striker up front for Ireland.

I thought Kerr was going to deck him. O'Neill wouldn't shurrup with the interrupting. really was pi$$ing me off.

elroy
16/06/2005, 2:51 PM
The world cup graphics brought back great memories of 02.
Fair play for rte for showing it, they must have got it cheap. Sounded like a good game like last night anyway, saw the start of it and Kerr was throwing in a couple of digs about the media alright.

pete
16/06/2005, 3:53 PM
Keith O'Neill would be better off at ITV as hes a tabloid-esque pubdit.

Jaime
17/06/2005, 8:31 AM
Tabloid isn't the word! He called Adriano's goal a "pearler"; I'm sure Collins and Kerr grimaced! Now I'm not from the northside, but I know a lot of people who are, and I'm pretty sure that I've never heard that phrase before.

Then he said "they're just soaking up the pressure and waiting for the set pieces, that's how they won the European Championships." Kerr started his reply by saying "well there was a bit more to it that that". :rolleyes:

pete
17/06/2005, 9:17 AM
Keith O'Neill would be better off at ITV as hes a tabloid-esque pubdit.

That of course should have been "pundit" although pubdit sounds more appropriate.

:ball:

Reality Bites
17/06/2005, 9:58 AM
Is Keith O'Neill the worst Pundit in the History of Television??? The guy is a muppet I grimace every time he waffles out his cliche crap!! very hard to listen to, hopefully he won't become a regular fixture on RTE...

superfrank
17/06/2005, 11:36 AM
Heading a bit off topic and I know it's also my fault. Anyway, I didn't get to see the game last night what was it like? Were Brazil all over Greece?

Roo69
17/06/2005, 11:42 AM
Heading a bit off topic and I know it's also my fault. Anyway, I didn't get to see the game last night what was it like? Were Brazil all over Greece?

It was a very poor game all-round, few nice goals though. Robhinio looks like he'll be one to watch over the next few seasons.

superfrank
17/06/2005, 11:49 AM
Isn't he already the one to watch? It's only a matter of time til he leaves Santos. But he's created a problem for himself, he's always saying how he won't leave during the middle of the Brazilian so the only option for him is to move between mid-December and early March.

And obviously if he's going to a European team he only has a month to find a club.

An interesting fact, he's said that when he watches English football he roots for Chelsea.

Roo69
17/06/2005, 12:12 PM
Isn't he already the one to watch? It's only a matter of time til he leaves Santos. But he's created a problem for himself, he's always saying how he won't leave during the middle of the Brazilian so the only option for him is to move between mid-December and early March.

And obviously if he's going to a European team he only has a month to find a club.

An interesting fact, he's said that when he watches English football he roots for Chelsea.

Thats because they pay the best wages now :D

tetsujin1979
17/06/2005, 12:17 PM
Aren't Real supposed to be wrapping up a deal for Robinho now that Santos are out of the Copa Liberatadores (sp?)

Anyway, Brazil pretty much tore Greece apart from what I saw, Adriano's goal was a thing of beauty and they're already my tip for the World Cup next year. Argentina apart, I can't see anyone beating them in a one off game in the knock out stages of the World Cup

superfrank
17/06/2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it's kinda obvious but he says it's because they are the only English team to show an intense interest in him.

superfrank
18/06/2005, 11:38 PM
Australia 2 Argentina 4
Anyone see this live? I was at the Bohs match and I'd taped it but I'd seen the score in a pub in town so I FF'd to the goals. Figueroa looks good. So does Aloisi.

tetsujin1979
19/06/2005, 1:28 AM
Figueroa looks good. So does Aloisi.
Figueroa was a flop at Birmingham, ditto Aloisi at Coventry. Aloisi has a decent record at international level, but this is because of the quality of the opposition Australia play in their qualifiers. Ali Daei has a similar record because of the quality Iran play at international level

jorge
19/06/2005, 1:42 AM
Figueroa is a good player so what if he dint make it at birmingham.

superfrank
19/06/2005, 2:00 PM
Figueroa was a flop at Birmingham, ditto Aloisi at Coventry. Aloisi has a decent record at international level, but this is because of the quality of the opposition Australia play in their qualifiers. Ali Daei has a similar record because of the quality Iran play at international level
So you're saying Germany and Argentina are poor opposition. he scored twice against them both. :confused:

tetsujin1979
19/06/2005, 3:37 PM
So you're saying Germany and Argentina are poor opposition. he scored twice against them both. :confused:

I meant the teams Australia play in general - Washington Island, American Samoa and the like. He has played well in their games, but he more than likely would not have started had Viduka and Kewell been fit. And Germany's defence (by their own admission) has been woeful. I haven't seen much or Argentina so I can't comment on them

Green Tribe
19/06/2005, 9:29 PM
What have the games been like? Raging I haven't been able to see them, my TV is sh!te, cannot pick up channel 5... :mad: :mad: glad Japan beat Greece... :D One team I'm wondering about, how are Germany playing, I know they've been doing well, but are they looking good? :confused:

Plastic Paddy
19/06/2005, 9:32 PM
my TV is sh!te, cannot pick up channel 5...

And this is a cause for complaint? :confused: :p

I can receive C5. :mad: You wanna swap TVs? :)

:ball: PP

Green Tribe
19/06/2005, 9:58 PM
And this is a cause for complaint?

I can receive C5. :mad: You wanna swap TVs? :)
PP

Yeah, I know channel 5 is channel pish, but it is handy now and again as it does show the odd football game, and it is showing this confed cup.... :mad: Apart from that, it is the biggest load of kack on tv... :rolleyes: :D

jimbob117
20/06/2005, 12:01 AM
What have the games been like? Raging I haven't been able to see them, my TV is sh!te, cannot pick up channel 5... :mad: :mad: glad Japan beat Greece... :D One team I'm wondering about, how are Germany playing, I know they've been doing well, but are they looking good? :confused:

I'vr been impressed by the games ive seen so far, decent enough standard and good excitement. Argentina look the business.. a decent tip for the WC i reckon.

Colm55
20/06/2005, 10:09 AM

Games are great, goals guaranteed, nine goals from saturdays games, 4-2 and a 3-0, RTE 2 over here are showing them, there is some great football on display !

Germany beat tunisia 3-0 on sat, playing really well, but then again Tunisia may be considered weaker opposition.

superfrank
20/06/2005, 10:39 AM
What part of Scotland you live in? My sis lives in Aberdeen and she can't get Channel 5 either, though she doesn't complain. ;)