PDA

View Full Version : Sky's All Time Greatest Sporting Legend

joeSoap
13/06/2005, 9:41 AM
First Week it was football, and Pele was chosen ahead of Best, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Maradona etc...I'd go along with that.

Last nite it was boxing, and will probably be Muhammed Ali, (although there were actually some votes fro Frank Bruno :eek: ) and that I'll agree with also.

Next week its gonna be golf and tennis. For me the winners here should be Jack Nicklaus and Martina Navratilova.

Any other selections??

Aberdonian Stu
13/06/2005, 10:16 AM
I was surprised to see De La Hoya get a nod. 95 was an unreal year for him but I couldn't include him as he never beat Mosley, I thought Marciano should have been there instead.

Robinson is the best pugilist but for "legend status" Ali probably has to get the nod.

As for tennis I wouldn't go for Navratilova. She'd make my list but Laver has the edge overall, and I'd probably put Graf ahead of her as well because of her greater proficiency on surfaces other than grass (grass is the least used surface) and of course she did the golden grand slam in 88 (all four and the Olympics).

I reckon Navratilova will be the winner of the public vote.

I'd agree with Nicklaus, but I think Bobby Jones would be up there with him.

joeSoap
13/06/2005, 10:27 AM
Fair call...and good points.

On the boxing thing...why was Julio Cesar Chavez not given a shout....over 120 victories, and over 90 title defences?? :confused:

the 12 th man
13/06/2005, 10:29 AM
horse racing :lester piggot
motor racing: ayrton senna

Aberdonian Stu
13/06/2005, 10:41 AM
Yeah if it was based solely on events in the field of play I'd say Robinson without a doubt. Didn't think of Chavez, he is a legend and wouldn't count the two defeats to De La Hoya against him too much as he was well past his prime by then. Tough one that.

joeSoap
13/06/2005, 11:05 AM
I suppose its all down to opinion this thing, isn't it. And it is also going to be determined by the ages of the viewing public. In my lifetime, Marvin Hagler was the greatest boxer i've seen, but Ali will get it. Maradona was the greatest footballer;Navratilova in tennis;Jack Nicklaus the golfer; Michael Schumacher for Grand Prix(yes, ahead of Senna), Pat Eddery the jockey;Mike Gibson for Rugby; Heile Gebresalessi for athletics;

My fav out of all those is Maradona, followed by Schumacher, followed by Gibson.

Schumi
13/06/2005, 3:37 PM
For the motorsport one, it'd be between Senna and Fangio for me with Schumacher just behind. An extremely tough choice but I'd probably go with Fangio on balance. No doubt Stirling Moss will get a lot of votes (as will nobodies like Damon Hill probably :rolleyes: ) but Senna will win easily. I don't really know enough about the history of other sports to pick properly but I'd go with Serge Blanco in rugby.

Kerry Blue
14/06/2005, 6:06 AM
My selections:

GOLF: Jack Nicklaus
MOTORSPORT: Juan Fangio
RUGBY: Phil Bennett

Superhoops
14/06/2005, 9:56 PM
Phil Taylor - Darts

stojkovic
15/06/2005, 10:09 AM
Diego Maradona
Mohammed Ali
Ayrton Senna da Silva
Martina Navratilova
Tiger Woods

joeSoap
25/07/2005, 10:18 AM
I missed the finale last night...anyone know what was the top 3??

I would have picked
1. Ali
2. Nicklaus
3. Pele

gustavo
25/07/2005, 11:05 AM
you picked the winner there joe ali won.

Schumi
25/07/2005, 1:37 PM
I stopped watching when Mansell was nominated ahead of Fangio in the motorsport section. Farce.