PDA

View Full Version : Irish prime minister spends big to look good

sligoman
12/06/2005, 12:33 PM
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi raised eyebrows last year with his facelift -- but he was not the only European leader spending money on his appearance.

Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has spent 28,000 euros (18,770 pounds) or 550 euros (369 pounds) a week on make-up artists in the past year, his office said on Friday.

The Irish Independent newspaper reported that since he entered office in 1997, Ahern's appearance had cost taxpayers 167,000 euros.

Many male politicians wear cosmetics on television but the newspaper quoted an image consultant saying Ahern often wore make-up in public to help him look younger, fitter, healthier and cool under pressure.

Italy's image-conscious Berlusconi has said his efforts to look good are a way of showing respect to those he represents. As well as the facelift to erase wrinkles, he beat baldness with a hair transplant and said last month he was going on a diet.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050610/80/fkujw.html

Metrostars
12/06/2005, 1:46 PM
...quoted an image consultant saying Ahern often wore make-up in public to help him look younger, fitter, healthier and cool under pressure.

Eh Bertie ,it doesnt appear to be working.

dahamsta
12/06/2005, 2:19 PM
Believe me Metrostars, it is. You only have to look back at coverage of him shortly after he'd become Taoiseach to see. Even getting the anorak off him was a major step forward worth half that money. It's a pity he didn't spend more time with the speech therapist though. (Or should I say "dough".)

adam

pete
12/06/2005, 7:06 PM
Believe me Metrostars, it is. You only have to look back at coverage of him shortly after he'd become Taoiseach to see.

Theres a pub in Stoneybatter with brilliant picture of Bertie sitting on the steps of the Dail on his first day after being elected to the Dail. Was the true anorak man unrecognisable from now.