PDA

View Full Version : Club or Country?

Pages : 1 [2]

WeAreRovers
14/06/2005, 11:56 AM
Club - first, last and always. My sense of belonging and community comes from Rovers not from thousands of goons in leprachaun hats. I actively don't support Ireland, if that makes any sense. In other words I usually hope they lose and I won't be travelling to Germany next year if "we" qualify.

Mattitude - Try celebrating an away win in Europe with 200 people that you travel the length and breath of Ireland with every season. Guaranteed more satisfying than watching Ireland win home or away. And yes, I have travelled away with Ireland and I'm still cringing from the experience.

KOH

Dodge
14/06/2005, 12:03 PM
the problem is that the club's no longer represent the community, just the fans do.
Yeah but the fans are what makes any club. Nothing got to do with the player involved as they'll come and go but the fans will always be there. I'd swap pats winning the FAI cup once for Ireland never winning another game

I would put rovers over ireland simply because the FAI is run by ............. and is supported mostly by eh .............
Just noticed this now. Made me laugh out loud....

Can't believe people would put one club above our COUNTRY!
Course I'm proud of both my clubs but Ireland always come's first!
Yeah but there can only one club. EVER! You can have other interests but only one club

Gerrit
14/06/2005, 4:02 PM
Club - first, last and always. My sense of belonging and community comes from Rovers not from thousands of goons in leprachaun hats. I actively don't support Ireland, if that makes any sense. In other words I usually hope they lose and I won't be travelling to Germany next year if "we" qualify.

Mattitude - Try celebrating an away win in Europe with 200 people that you travel the length and breath of Ireland with every season. Guaranteed more satisfying than watching Ireland win home or away. And yes, I have travelled away with Ireland and I'm still cringing from the experience.

KOH

Glad you came forward with this.

See people, i'm not the only one supporting for another country ! It's completely normal that sometimes your heart tells otherwise than a single word on your ID.

Bosco
14/06/2005, 9:41 PM
Where does he say he supports another country?I think the national pride that irish people have is unique and is impossible to explain.If you gerrit as a belgian dont feel this pride then you'll have to just accept that it cannot be explained.This pride is not only shown through sport but any time a group of irish people go abroad,which can be very annoying at times when the "we're irish everybody loves us,lets let everyone know we're irish" attitude kicks in.
You say you cannot see the difference between 11 players in lansdowne road representing ireland and people reprenting ireland in anything else,there is no difference in some peoples eyes.At every mickey mouse event where ireland are taking part(e.g the eurovision) you'll see the ole ole brigade jumping up and down waving irish flags

CollegeTillIDie
14/06/2005, 10:29 PM
Where does he say he supports another country?I think the national pride that irish people have is unique and is impossible to explain.If you gerrit as a belgian dont feel this pride then you'll have to just accept that it cannot be explained.This pride is not only shown through sport but any time a group of irish people go abroad,which can be very annoying at times when the "we're irish everybody loves us,lets let everyone know we're irish" attitude kicks in.
You say you cannot see the difference between 11 players in lansdowne road representing ireland and people reprenting ireland in anything else,there is no difference in some peoples eyes.At every mickey mouse event where ireland are taking part(e.g the eurovision) you'll see the ole ole brigade jumping up and down waving irish flags

It's not quite unique, Scotland have it too. I think it might have something to do with not having succumbed completely despite being dominated militarily, and culturally for centuries by an alien culture.

Gerrit
15/06/2005, 6:39 PM
Wales have it as well though seems the football culture is not too well introduced...

In Belgium I'd say there's more a 'Flemish identity' and 'Walloon identity', unless when a person or institute with the banner Belgium suddenly does well, then some suddenly feel Belgian...

I'd say national pride is a typical island thing. My friend from New Zealand has it as well, very proud of being a kiwi (and a damn tasty one) :eek: