PDA

View Full Version : John Paul Kelly

eirebhoy
11/06/2005, 10:26 AM
Can anyone tell me what John Paul Kelly is at Bohs for? The reports were that he was homesick at Liverpool and they reluctantly let him go but he had to sign something saying he couldn't sign for someone else in Britain within a certain time limit. He was training at Ipswich and they wanted to sign him. He had trials at Celtic and Villa but don't think he even took them. Is that the reason he's at Bohs, they can count themselves lucky anyway.

He was by far and away the best player in his age bracket (and the year ahead of him) at Liverpool and was getting youth top scorer from midfield.

Anto McC
11/06/2005, 10:48 AM
He wanted to be with his mates on the corner

Dodge
11/06/2005, 10:53 AM
He wanted to be with his mates on the corner
seen him drinking cans in a park the other day...

Anto McC
11/06/2005, 11:13 AM
seen him drinking cans in a park the other day...

Exactly what i meant,they are no good for him or his career,if he leaves them behind he has potential to go anywhere.

Munchie
12/06/2005, 11:05 AM
you're just jealous that u dont have him. he's far better than bobby ryan and Dessie Baker!!! stop havin a go at him hes only young and has his whole career ahead of him.

aido_b
12/06/2005, 11:13 AM
you're just jealous that u dont have him. he's far better than bobby ryan and Dessie Baker!!! stop havin a go at him hes only young and has his whole career ahead of him.

U mean Richie Baker right? :p

Cosmo
12/06/2005, 11:14 AM
In fairness, he's only a young lad. Can't see anything wrong with a player having a few pints :eek:

aido_b
12/06/2005, 11:16 AM
In fairness, he's only a young lad. Can't see anything wrong with a player having a few pints :eek:

Ah yeah sure some of Irelands best players were drunk on the field anyways!

Cosmo
12/06/2005, 11:19 AM
Haha, I know. But seriously I think some people blow things like players drinking way out of proportion :rolleyes: .

Supersaint3
12/06/2005, 11:19 AM
If he's a ****head at this stage it's practically inevitable that he'll waste his talent, if he'd any sense he could still be playing at a top engli$h club with a career ahead of him and the prospect of money that would ensure his families security for the rest of his life.... Instead he's drinking tinnies in a park with his pikey mates. Well done that man....

aido_b
12/06/2005, 11:23 AM
If he's a ****head at this stage it's practically inevitable that he'll waste his talent, if he'd any sense he could still be playing at a top engli$h club with a career ahead of him and the prospect of money that would ensure his families security for the rest of his life.... Instead he's drinking tinnies in a park with his pikey mates. Well done that man....

Were only taking the ****, the blokes as professional as they come!

Supersaint3
12/06/2005, 11:34 AM
eh... oh..... Hey look, a football!! :ball:

aido_b
12/06/2005, 11:37 AM
eh... oh..... Hey look, a football!! :ball:

Its great to see you're so concerned about a Bohs player though!

:D :D :D

BohDiddley
12/06/2005, 12:09 PM
Can anyone tell me what John Paul Kelly is at Bohs for? The reports were that he was homesick at Liverpool and they reluctantly let him go but he had to sign something saying he couldn't sign for someone else in Britain within a certain time limit. He was training at Ipswich and they wanted to sign him. He had trials at Celtic and Villa but don't think he even took them. Is that the reason he's at Bohs, they can count themselves lucky anyway.

He was by far and away the best player in his age bracket (and the year ahead of him) at Liverpool and was getting youth top scorer from midfield.
Interesting to see that we don't have to rely exclusively on Bill O'Herlihy and Eamon Dummy to do down Irish football. EL fans will do it for us. Those two old farts mock the domestic game, its clubs and supporters, out of ignorance and spite. I suppose it was to be expected that some EL people would be jealous.
If you saw Joxer play for Bohs, you might realise that one of the reasons he is doing so is simply because he loves it, because it shows with every touch of the ball that he takes. EL knockers should know that it's a privilege to watch this rare talent play live, and more than worth the €15 admission. But I suppose most will wait until he goes to another country and after that gets to play for Oireland before he gets any recognition nationally.

ThatGuy
12/06/2005, 12:16 PM
Joxer, in my opinion, is foolish to be playing in the Eircom League. He is too good.

He has the potential to be a top player. Not a top player by Eircom League standards, but in world-terms.

He should be playing in England, he has the ability to make it in the Premiership IMO, and therefore he is a potential international in the making. His potential is being held back here.

eirebhoy
12/06/2005, 12:21 PM
Interesting to see that we don't have to rely exclusively on Bill O'Herlihy and Eamon Dummy to do down Irish football. EL fans will do it for us. Those two old farts mock the domestic game, its clubs and supporters, out of ignorance and spite. I suppose it was to be expected that some EL people would be jealous.
:confused: did you actually mean to quote me?

Munchie
12/06/2005, 12:40 PM
sorry richie baker!!!always mix them up! wer trying to improve the eircom league here. how are we going to do that by getting rid of all the top players such as joxer and kevin doyle!! every body is always going on about improving the league's quality and this is how we do it!! by keeping these top players?? :mad:

BohDiddley
12/06/2005, 2:54 PM
:confused: did you actually mean to quote me?
Yes. Why do you ask?
You seem to be saying that no one who is any good should play their football in Ireland, even if they are 17. Did I misunderstand?

Slash/ED
12/06/2005, 3:45 PM
and therefore he is a potential international in the making.

If we didn't have a manager so obsessed with the rubbish players who can't even make the benches of lower league clubs, there's no reason why he couldn't become an international here. He's good enough, as are plenty of others here.

eirebhoy
12/06/2005, 5:33 PM
Yes. Why do you ask?
You seem to be saying that no one who is any good should play their football in Ireland, even if they are 17. Did I misunderstand?
Just to put my opening post in other words. JPK was playing at Liverpool. He was the best player in his age bracket at the club and for some reason left them. It was supposedly because of homesickness but he trained at Ipswich for a while so I don't really know.

To answer your question. If there was a 17 year old playing in the Eircom league with the potential to be top class, he would be off like a shot when an English club came in. JPK went in the opposite direction. He was in England but moved back to Ireland.

Basically, forget all thoughts that come into your head and answer this, why is JPK playing for Bohs? Can't sign for another club in Britain? Wants to stay at home?

BohDiddley
12/06/2005, 6:15 PM
Just to put my opening post in other words. JPK was playing at Liverpool. He was the best player in his age bracket at the club and for some reason left them. It was supposedly because of homesickness but he trained at Ipswich for a while so I don't really know.

To answer your question. If there was a 17 year old playing in the Eircom league with the potential to be top class, he would be off like a shot when an English club came in. JPK went in the opposite direction. He was in England but moved back to Ireland.

Basically, forget all thoughts that come into your head and answer this, why is JPK playing for Bohs? Can't sign for another club in Britain? Wants to stay at home?
The story put out was that he was homesick. I expect that when he gets a bit older he'll get over that and be on his way. I suppose you could speculate about other reasons. In the meantime, Bohs are happy to give him a platform, and he seems happy to perform for us.

Jaime
13/06/2005, 10:42 AM
If we didn't have a manager so obsessed with the rubbish players who can't even make the benches of lower league clubs, there's no reason why he couldn't become an international here. He's good enough, as are plenty of others here.

Who are the players that can't make the bench at lower league clubs that Kerr is obsessed with?

Risteard
13/06/2005, 10:43 AM
What age is he?

Slash/ED
13/06/2005, 10:45 AM
Who are the players that can't make the bench at lower league clubs that Kerr is obsessed with?

Barrett and Doherty, though we seem to have seen the back of Barrett thank god.

Éanna
13/06/2005, 11:12 AM
If we didn't have a manager so obsessed with the rubbish players who can't even make the benches of lower league clubs, there's no reason why he couldn't become an international here. He's good enough, as are plenty of others here.Spot on. Kerr is a joke

eirebhoy
13/06/2005, 11:19 AM
Kerr stuck with Barrett because there was nobody else doing well enough on the right wing to push him out. Barrett has done very well for us on the right wing.

Poor Student
13/06/2005, 11:25 AM
What lower league team was Doherty not getting his game for? Who do you want instead? Byrne? Crowe? Doyle? Don't forget Doherty is a specific type of variety of forward player (i.e. Big lump of a target man) that we need to have in the squad to offer other options.(i.e. Route 1)

Aberdonian Stu
13/06/2005, 11:42 AM
Indeed. While the service Doherty provides is by no means pretty it is useful to have a target man like him on hand.

Slash/ED
13/06/2005, 4:37 PM
Kerr stuck with Barrett because there was nobody else doing well enough on the right wing to push him out. Barrett has done very well for us on the right wing.

Barrett is crap, always has been, and always will be. 'Doing well for us' as far as I can see amounted to a friendly in Holland where he worked hard but showed no real quality or creativity down the right, he is a poor player. Hence not getting on the Coventry bench and having his contract cancled, hence his crap form for Brighton, hence him being let go by Arsenal. Compare him to some of the talent in the league, he wouldn't get near the Shels team for a start, and a few others too.

What lower league team was Doherty not getting his game for? Who do you want instead? Byrne? Crowe? Doyle? Don't forget Doherty is a specific type of variety of forward player (i.e. Big lump of a target man) that we need to have in the squad to offer other options.(i.e. Route 1)

Norwich, they're a division one side now and he'll still not get near their side.

Only in Ireland would we pick someone because they're tall. Skill doesn't come into the equation. He's a central defender and a poor one at that, yet we make him an international forward. He got a few goals in euro 2004 qualifying but other than that he's been absolutley awful for us, even against the Faroe Islands in his cameo he looked out of his depth.

Can you imagine at Brazil the manager picking a squad and saying "Well we have Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho and Adriano, but we'll need to leave one out to call up Gary Dohertys Brazilian cousin, he's a centre half but he's a bit tall so we can kick the ball in his general direction when things go bad". Christ talk about sunday league management if that's your plan B.

Again, Doherty would not get near any decent EL teams as a striker anyway.

There are players here who when you compare to the dross Kerr has constantly put in his squads are easily good enough.

centre mid
13/06/2005, 4:46 PM
Can you imagine at Brazil the manager picking a squad and saying "Well we have Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho and Adriano, but we'll need to leave one out to call up Gary Dohertys Brazilian cousin, he's a centre half but he's a bit tall so we can kick the ball in his general direction when things go bad". Christ talk about sunday league management if that's your plan B.

:D Brilliant

There seems to be something in the " well he was in the last squad so i will pick him again" atitude, Putting Kevin Doyle or Kelly in the squad would be no more of a risk that barrett or Doherty

eirebhoy
13/06/2005, 5:15 PM
Barrett is crap, always has been, and always will be. 'Doing well for us' as far as I can see amounted to a friendly in Holland where he worked hard but showed no real quality or creativity down the right, he is a poor player. Hence not getting on the Coventry bench and having his contract cancled, hence his crap form for Brighton, hence him being let go by Arsenal. Compare him to some of the talent in the league, he wouldn't get near the Shels team for a start, and a few others too.
I explained to you why Barrett was loaned out at Coventry. The exact same reason as Bellamy was at Newcastle. Stop using it as backup to show he is crap, seriously.

Kerr's policy is different to most managers. Once you are in the squad you are in it until someone in your position shows they are good enough to be playing in our team. No matter how bad Barrett is, there was nobody performing consistantly well on the right. Stephen Reid has now got in and forced him out (for good probably).

Slash/ED
13/06/2005, 5:23 PM
I explained to you why Barrett was loaned out at Coventry. The exact same reason as Bellamy was at Newcastle. Stop using it as backup to show he is crap, seriously.

Yeah, the reason that he didn't want to play right wing. So Kerr picked him at right wing.

The fact is he IS crap. He has never, once, not ever, EVER shown any form at any club at any time at any level that would show otherwise. Ever. He's always been crap, and will always be crap. I don't care what position he wants to play in, if he was any good he wouldn't have been let go so easily. By three different clubs, admittedly one was Arsenal.

Kerr's policy is different to most managers. Once you are in the squad you are in it until someone in your position shows they are good enough to be playing in our team. No matter how bad Barrett is, there was nobody performing consistantly well on the right. Stephen Reid has now got in and forced him out (for good probably).

A policy he kindly forgot with Jason Byrne and Glen Crowe.

I can name plenty of better wingers here who never got a chance to perform by Kerr.

pete
13/06/2005, 9:11 PM
Can you imagine at Brazil the manager picking a squad and saying "Well we have Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho and Adriano, but we'll need to leave one out to call up Gary Dohertys Brazilian cousin, he's a centre half but he's a bit tall so we can kick the ball in his general direction when things go bad".

If we had all those Brazilian players wouldn't need the likes of Doherty.

I agree Barret is not international class. Never excelled at u-21, in fact has never excelled & lost his place with Coventry this season. Always entertained me when those Barret at Arsenal stories were in the media when at best he was 7th choice forward & didn't even have first team squad number.

Poor Student
13/06/2005, 9:16 PM
Norwich, they're a division one side now and he'll still not get near their side.

Only in Ireland would we pick someone because they're tall. Skill doesn't come into the equation. He's a central defender and a poor one at that, yet we make him an international forward. He got a few goals in euro 2004 qualifying but other than that he's been absolutley awful for us, even against the Faroe Islands in his cameo he looked out of his depth.

Again, Doherty would not get near any decent EL teams as a striker anyway.

There are players here who when you compare to the dross Kerr has constantly put in his squads are easily good enough.

Slash he has been in a Premiership squad since he went to Spurs (or was he at Norwich last season when they won promotion?). You make it sound like he has been sitting on the bench in League 1 or 2 (what I consider to be lower league). Look in certain games you just get no joy trying to play it on the deck or your creative players are just not carving out chances so you must change style and go Route 1 as an alternative and Doherty is apt for this. Ireland is by no means the only team to have a player for this approach. Ireland does not have a plethora of creative players like Brazil who can open a team up so of course we must hold Route 1 as a fall back approach if a team is shutting us out totally at the back.

Réiteoir
13/06/2005, 9:25 PM
Also Gerard Houllier's attitude towards the academy was no a good one

He had a falling out with Steve Heighway and then point blank refused to play any of the youngsters.

Slash/ED
13/06/2005, 9:25 PM
Slash he has been in a Premiership squad since he went to Spurs (or was he at Norwich last season when they won promotion?). You make it sound like he has been sitting on the bench in League 1 or 2 (what I consider to be lower league). Look in certain games you just get no joy trying to play it on the deck or your creative players are just not carving out chances so you must change style and go Route 1 as an alternative and Doherty is apt for this. Ireland is by no means the only team to have a player for this approach. Ireland does not have a plethora of creative players like Brazil who can open a team up so of course we must hold Route 1 as a fall back approach if a team is shutting us out totally at the back.

I'm sure we could find tall people off the street it doesn't make them international class. People associate Doherty with Quinn but they're miles apart, Quinn had a touch and great awareness which is why he was an effective target man. You need to have more than height and be decent in the air to be a effective target man. Doherty is a reserve centre half, not an international class target man. How many goals has he set up ala Quinny? There's no point going route one if you haven't got a good target man, height does not equal a good target man.

Poor Student
13/06/2005, 9:28 PM
I'm sure we could find tall people off the street it doesn't make them international class. People associate Doherty with Quinn but they're miles apart, Quinn had a touch and great awareness which is why he was an effective target man. You need to have more than height and be decent in the air to be a effective target man. Doherty is a reserve centre half, not an international class target man. How many goals has he set up ala Quinny? There's no point going route one if you haven't got a good target man, height does not equal a good target man.

I wouldn't dare draw comparisons with Quinn. Quinn offered us more as someone who had decent feet for a big man and in his younger days was more than the Route 1 target man. However you keep saying he is not international class etc. but we are Ireland. We are of limited population. How many big target men playing at a high level do we have? Also Doherty's versatility to play him at the back actually strengthens his case for inclusion. I know he is not great at either but he offers us that choice. Do you have an Irish big target man playing at a similar or higher level?

Slash/ED
13/06/2005, 9:36 PM
I wouldn't dare draw comparisons with Quinn. Quinn offered us more as someone who had decent feet for a big man and in his younger days was more than the Route 1 target man. However you keep saying he is not international class etc. but we are Ireland. We are of limited population. How many big target men playing at a high level do we have? Also Doherty's versatility to play him at the back actually strengthens his case for inclusion. I know he is not great at either but he offers us that choice. Do you have an Irish big target man playing at a similar or higher level?

He's not playing at any level, he's a reserve centre half. I'd rather we had a look at Lee if we're so desperate for a big stick, at least he is a target man and occassionaly gets his game.

Doherty offers us little to nothing imo, route one with him is very ineffective, he adds nothing.

Anto McC
13/06/2005, 9:38 PM
I think Doherty is sh*t,as a defender and as a striker,even as a target man he is sh*t but when Morrison is one of the other options you can start to see how he gets in the squad but i'll say this in all seriousness give me Doyler any day or joxer for that matter

dahamsta
14/06/2005, 11:44 AM
Thread split and crap deleted. Anto eile, you've been warned once about your style of posting on Foot.ie, this is you second and final warning.

adam

anto eile
14/06/2005, 12:32 PM
i just said what other people tghought of him.i dont see the big deal

dahamsta
14/06/2005, 1:19 PM
You made a potentially libellous statement about someone, and whether it was you or someone else that said it doesn't matter until such time as you're giving evidence in a court case against you for a large amount of money. Will that be a "big deal" at the time do you think?

But if you want to take that risk, no problem, please publish your real name, phone number and address in the post so I won't be dragged into it. Otherwise stop wasting my time arguing about something you don't understand, and don't do it again.

adam