PDA

View Full Version : NI league structure

Gerrit
11/06/2005, 1:02 AM
I notice that, just like the Eircom League, only the top two divisions of the Irish League are ever mentionned in non-local sources (both online and press).

Is there any promotion/relegation to and from the first division ? Do any non-league clubs enter the IFA Cup ? Amateur-leagues are countywise or do bigger cities like Belfast and (London)Derry have their own amateur leagues ? (I seem to remember hearing about a Derry-and-District amateur league in and around L'Derry)

*again trying to avoid political issues by trying to refer to both the names Derry and Londonderry. I've tried to please everyone, so please keep it a sports only topic*

-lamb-
11/06/2005, 1:32 AM
Is there any promotion/relegation to and from the first division ? Do any non-league clubs enter the IFA Cup ? Amateur-leagues are countywise or do bigger cities like Belfast and (London)Derry have their own amateur leagues ? (I seem to remember hearing about a Derry-and-District amateur league in and around L'Derry)

yes, there is promotion to and from the 1st division. 1 automatic promotion/relegation and the other is a playoff between 2nd bottom and 2nd top for the premier league place. there is no playoff for div2 to div1 - 2 up 2 down i think.
i think the whole div1/div2 is being restructured soon (next year?) when much stricter ground criteria may well have a big effect on entry for some teams.
ballymoney and ballinamallard were relegated from div1 this year. tobermore and banbridge were promoted from div2.
crusaders and omagh were relegated from the premier with glenavon and armagh being promoted into it.
not sure what will happen now that omagh have folded though.
ballymoney were second bottom of div1, lurgan celtic were 3rd in div2.
my money would be on ballymoney staying up.
amateur leagues aren't really countywise but are regional to a degree. i'm not well up on their setup but there are tons of them and the bigger ones (the amateur league proper) are done in sections.........1a 1b 2a etc etc. not sure what the lowest is but i have a feeling it goes down to 3 something.
there are other lower leagues like ballymena and district league, churches league, coleraine and district league, mid-ulster league.
smaller teams do play in the irish cup. then there are intermediate cups (daily mirror trophy, steel and sons etc) but the CIS (league) cup is for premier teams only.