PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien V Dunne

Reality Bites
10/06/2005, 3:37 PM
Just want to know what everybodies opinion is on this one, Who would you rather have in defence against Andy O'Brien or Richie Dunne partnering Cunningham, for me its Dunne everytime, he was outstanding last season for City (along with Joe Cole the most improved player in premiership) he's strong , brave and quick, O'Brien was in and out of the Newcastle side and his form was erratic.. I know people here will argue that when Cunningham retires they will both play together, but I feel for a big match like the french one Dunne would be a far superior choice to O'Brien to counter the threat and speed from Henry and Cisse!!! Of course this argument is all really null and void as Kerr won't change what he has got if both are fit..

Stuttgart88
10/06/2005, 3:53 PM
Dunne for me, though O'Brien has done nothing wrong for us. MOTM in Basle.

eirebhoy
10/06/2005, 4:10 PM
Aye, Dunne for me too. O'Brien has been superb for us but I'm never really confident with him against the big guns.

dr_peepee
10/06/2005, 4:30 PM
Pound for pound Richie Dunne is the better defender... But at this point in time O'Brien deserves his place ahead of him. It's hard to know if dunne would have kept his place had he been fit and played against the Faroes.

Is it only a one game suspension that O'Brien got??

jjppc
10/06/2005, 7:20 PM
How about Dunne and O'Brien its not too far away.

eirebhoy
10/06/2005, 7:32 PM
How about Dunne and O'Brien its not too far away.
O'Brien is woeful without someone to guide him. Dunne is not up to that yet and has no experience. Distin leads the line for City.

Qwerty
10/06/2005, 9:30 PM
O'Brien has done nothing wrong so Dunne will have to wait for his chance, his decision to go for surgery may hurt him somewhat though he really didn't have a choice did he? I do think that Dunne may add an element of toughness this team lacks.

Any one else agree with my remark about this being a team of 1 man + 10 boys? That we are soft both physically and mentally, we don't fold but we are better chasing the game than being ahead ( what's new says you ). We lack composure.

Noelys Guitar
10/06/2005, 11:08 PM
Tricky one this. Dunne the better player (at the moment) but O'Brien has played well for Ireland. Situation would change if O'Brien is not playing first team football come the French game. Then I would choose Dunne. What about Finnan for Carr? Carr is going backwards and he looked 2 stone overweight against the Faroes. Has been a top player for Ireland but seems to be going backwards now.

Slash/ED
10/06/2005, 11:22 PM
Dunne is easily a better player atm, but O'briens done well for us and works well with Cunningham.

Stuttgart88
11/06/2005, 4:54 PM
What about Finnan for Carr?
Undoubtedly. Understated class IMO. Nothing brash or flassh about him but solid in defence, good going forward, good distribution, excellent temprament & attitude.

jorge
11/06/2005, 5:14 PM
Judging by form i would put Dunne but that opperation will cost him deerly.

brine3
12/06/2005, 10:49 PM
Andy O'Brien turns into Franco Baresi every time he dons the green shirt. Future Ireland captain in the making.

I think the question that we should be asking ourselves is: Cunningham V Dunne?

Kenny's not getting any younger, as his marking for the 2-1 against Israel showed.

onenilgameover
12/06/2005, 10:56 PM
Pound for pound Richie Dunne is the better defender...

Hey whoaa! Lay off the Fatty Mac Fat Dunne puns lol :) ...he is losing the weight and its all turned into muscle...

Dunne for me too...Although O'Brien is much better with his nose than Dunne......

BobbySands
12/06/2005, 11:07 PM
While Dunne has the stomach for a battle I'd give it to O'Brien by a nose....boom boom.

tetsujin1979
13/06/2005, 9:03 AM
Dunne's made massive improvements this season, and is considered first choice at Man City, but can't seem to get a game for Ireland. O'Brien's gone the other way at Newcastle, if this move to Pompey comes through and he is first choice at Fratton Park, then I can see him continuing as Kenny's first choice partner in the heart of defence.

The question is who comes in for Kenny as the leader in defence after he (probably) retires after the World Cup, or even after the qualifiers?? Breen??

Kevin77
17/06/2005, 4:50 AM
O'Brien is woeful without someone to guide him. Dunne is not up to that yet and has no experience. Distin leads the line for City.

That is a spot on post. Agree 100%

sligoman
17/06/2005, 9:36 AM
Definetely pick O'Brien ahead of Dunne. Every time Dunne gets the ball I become worried cos he's either going to lose it or stick it in his own net :D

Macy
17/06/2005, 10:08 AM
Dunne's made massive improvements this season,
LOL :D

stickyjoe
17/06/2005, 10:47 AM
both solid enough defenders.
o briens done very well in this campaign, so i would still give andy the nod

elroy
17/06/2005, 11:22 AM
Tricky one this. Dunne the better player (at the moment) but O'Brien has played well for Ireland. Situation would change if O'Brien is not playing first team football come the French game. Then I would choose Dunne. What about Finnan for Carr? Carr is going backwards and he looked 2 stone overweight against the Faroes. Has been a top player for Ireland but seems to be going backwards now.

Definitely Finnan, Carr was poor out in Israel as well. He's never being the same player after the bad injury he got a few years ago. (remember the cracker he scored for spurs against man u i think)
Often wondered if Kerr would play Finnan at RB and Carr and RM, I dont like the idea of playing a left sided player on the right wing.