PDA

View Full Version : Wales V Republic of Ireland - Sunday, 15th November 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

tetsujin1979
03/11/2020, 9:42 AM
Wales were due to announced their squad yesterday, but this was cancelled after Giggs was arrested for alleged assault of a women.
The Welsh FA have put out a non-statement statement - https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-statement2/

seanfhear
03/11/2020, 10:25 AM
Wales were due to announced their squad yesterday, but this was cancelled after Giggs was arrested for alleged assault of a women.
The Welsh FA have put out a non-statement statement - https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-statement2/
Depending how it all works out Wales may well be looking for a New Manager.

Diggs246
03/11/2020, 12:10 PM
correct, if he hit a girl..correct

tetsujin1979
03/11/2020, 12:37 PM
Will not be in charge for all three of Wales' games in November: https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/faw-statement2/

elatedscum
03/11/2020, 1:12 PM
Was gonna post something specific earlier but decided against in risk of being libellous, instead I’ll be broad.

I wasn’t at all surprised by this. FAW were mad to appoint him given the stuff in his personal life. He’s clearly not an individual that should be managing his national team.

Stuttgart88
03/11/2020, 1:15 PM
I'd like to think we'd have avoided making a similar appointment alright. And that's regardless of how this one pans out.

tetsujin1979
03/11/2020, 3:00 PM
Original post and quotes deleted. Bielsa, you've demonstrated that you have good English in posts. Anything I can't read or understand is getting deleted in future without warning.

tetsujin1979
03/11/2020, 4:17 PM
For clarification - there is to be no discussion of the allegations against Giggs until the events are proven/disproven, other than mentioning that he won't be in charge of the game.

tetsujin1979
03/11/2020, 4:21 PM
Squad to be announced on Thursday, with the U21 following on Friday according to this: https://www.the42.ie/millwall-boss-gary-rowett-addresses-troy-parrotts-return-from-injury-5253463-Nov2020/

Ireland boss Stephen Kenny is due to name his senior squad on Thursday, which will be followed on Friday by the announcement of Jim Crawford’s U21 squad.

nigel-harps1954
05/11/2020, 12:14 PM
Squad announced:

Cyrus Christie, Ryan Manning, Shane Long, Josh Cullen, Jason Knight and Sean Maguire out from the Wales squad.

Returns for Seamus Coleman, John Egan, James McCarthy, Harry Arter, Callum Robinson, James McClean, Jack Byrne and James Collins

tetsujin1979
05/11/2020, 3:27 PM
Welsh squad announced earlier

pineapple stu
12/11/2020, 9:38 PM
So - quid nunc?

I think we have to write the England game off and get on with things. It was always a hiding to nothing; a game we didn't need and which probably shouldn't have happened. Wales are a step down and maybe in a bit of flux with the Giggs suspension.

Is Egan likely to be back for Sunday? Looked like just a clash of heads (or head/shoulder), but a head injury could be a three-day automatic rest period. Though O'Shea can come in I guess.

What happened Coleman today? He was interviewed by O'Donoghue in the run-up to the match and then was suddenly pulled. Jack Byrne also in the squad but not on the bench - are there more covid cases we don't know about? Can Jack Byrne even be a covid case (or close contact) if he had it last month?

I don't think I'd be looking to make wholesale changes to style - an increased tempo would be nice of course, which may come as players get used to the system - but I think in the middle of a three-game run is the wrong time for major tinkering. A goal would be lovely of course. Though ultimately, "all" we need to do is beat Bulgaria next week to stay up.

Trequartista20
13/11/2020, 12:25 AM
Apparently Manning and Byrne weren't due to join up with the squad before the Wales game.

Why that is, I'm not sure.

elatedscum
13/11/2020, 2:56 AM
Byrne was due to the Rovers game being moved from Sunday to Monday by the FAI, so he was obliged to play that game as it wasn’t scheduled during the international window and then could only travel Tuesday but not train, having played monday, so they decided it would be better to bring him in after the friendly.

Manning presumably because of the late call-up. Coleman was described as an injury on tv.

What happened with Arter?

Eminence Grise
13/11/2020, 8:01 AM
So - quid nunc?

Dum spiro spero.

jbyrne
13/11/2020, 10:14 AM
just heard that Alan Browne has tested positive for covid.
highly likely its affected others so given he played last night

pineapple stu
13/11/2020, 10:40 AM
Oh for God's sake...

The really annoying this is it probably doesn't affect the English seeing as Browne never managed to be a close contact at all last night.

centre mid
13/11/2020, 11:00 AM
The FAI arw saying there are no close contacts which seems an insane thing to say.

ColourfulPeanut
13/11/2020, 11:39 AM
I'm assuming it's the definition of 15 minutes at closer than 2m.

Has there been evidence of it being passed during a match? All they can do is keep testing I suppose.

John83
13/11/2020, 12:44 PM
Dum spiro spero.
Proluit insano contorquens, insano libertatis.

backstothewall
13/11/2020, 12:45 PM
Gotta say that international football just isn't enjoyable during Covid. The build up to games consists entirely of finding out which players have tested positive.

Grafter
13/11/2020, 12:53 PM
Just to say that should you like wading through a good old channel search then the match on Sunday will be free to air live on S4C (in Welsh) at 5pm if anyone has a dish and box for free uk channels on the auld Astra Satellite.

paul_oshea
13/11/2020, 2:20 PM
Browne out -> https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1113/1177943-fai-confirm-alan-browne-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

Bielsa´s irish
13/11/2020, 5:12 PM
so he had contact with a lot of players, how are we gonna get 11 guys to play now?

Bielsa´s irish
13/11/2020, 6:49 PM
https://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-ireland-4-5265518-Nov2020/

if only "the chief" would have played against Mount and Winks yesterday at 49 years old

elatedscum
13/11/2020, 7:44 PM
Presumably there will be some additional call ups for Browne, McCarthy, Arter, Coleman and Egan...

Cullen seems an obvious bet. Right now available centre midfielders are: Hourihane, Hendrick, Molumby, Byrne and maybe Brady and Manning

Fullbacks: Doherty, Christie, again, maybe Brady and Manning. Don’t think there’s anyone else really. You’d be looking at the likes of Sean Gannon, Joe Rafferty, Lee O’Connor on the right, Derrick Williams on the left...

Centre backs: Duffy, Long, O’Shea. Maybe Clark is an option...

Razors left peg
13/11/2020, 7:51 PM
Presumably there will be some additional call ups for Browne, McCarthy, Arter, Coleman and Egan...

Cullen seems an obvious bet. Right now available centre midfielders are: Hourihane, Hendrick, Molumby, Byrne and maybe Brady and Manning

Fullbacks: Doherty, Christie, again, maybe Brady and Manning. Don’t think there’s anyone else really. You’d be looking at the likes of Sean Gannon, Joe Rafferty, Lee O’Connor on the right, Derrick Williams on the left...

Why not pull something from left field with so many out and call up Joe Hodge. Obviously hes very young and not a sniff of 1st team but no harm bringing him in to train

liamoo11
13/11/2020, 8:01 PM

I thought Hendrick was our best player last night that deep lying position is his best option for us I think. Playing molumby alongside him on Sunday could be interesting. Browne was lost as a ten last night. Like all the rest of our midfielder s he does not have that skillset he is an 8 or maybe a 6 if needed. Brady or Byrne seem to me to be the only players in our squad who have skillset to be the 10. With us so short on front players I think Brady will start in the front 3 so I'd like Byrne as the 10 on Sunday. It also gives us a right and left footer option on set pieces which is a bonus.

I liked idah last night lovely hold up play and that spin on Keane showed his danger in behind. This lad has scored goals at every level so I have no doubts that if we actually start creating a few chances he will score goals.

elatedscum
14/11/2020, 7:42 AM
Irish times are reporting Clark and Lenihan replacing Coleman and Egan (possibly moving O’Shea across to full back in the depth chart). Cullen, Knight and Byrne (sort of) replacing Arter, McCarthy and Browne...

knock on effect is 21s lose Knight again, which means one of Taylor, Mandriou or Connell starting for them I guess. Could also mean that Joe Hodge is called up to the 21s

Olé Olé
14/11/2020, 10:41 AM
Great to see Knight coming in. I think the performance the last night shows us that we need energy in our midfield players- they can set the tone and get us playing with aggression. Keane, Holland and Kinsella under Mick. Brady, Hendrick and McCarthy under O'Neill for a short while.

I think we ought to be pushing Knight and Molumby into our team more consistently. It does not suit us to have someone as passive as Hourihane in there. I know the game was over at this point but when Molumby came in for Hourihane, I just liked the look of how he and Browne drove through the middle.

If we are going to be playing 4-3-3 without a really brilliant lock picker then I feel we need to bring the energy, aggression and drive instead. Knight and Molumby have this in abundance. Stick them in with Hendrick Sunday, please. I would be happy to see Cullen and Byrne too.

Olé Olé
14/11/2020, 10:46 AM
I'm more worried about the forwards. Robinson, Connolly and McGoldrick are better than all options presently available. Even if just one of them was available it would make a big difference. Horgan did fine the last night but O'Dowda was very poor. I feel like Horgan, Idah and Robinson or Connolly would be so much better than what started the other night.

Kingdom
14/11/2020, 11:51 AM
Time to Just push on and get this group over with.

At this stage it should be about blooding as many players that could feature as possible. I’ve namechecked Hodge a few times here myself, but I think this would be a step too soon. A season with the 21s would do him the world of good.

While I’ve no issue with him doing it, Didsy retiring abruptly shows that we need to be prepared for these type of scenarios. A group of players potentially are coming to that situation - Randolph, Coleman (although I don’t see him
Doing it), Long,

I’d like to see one of the other two keepers given a run. I’d like to drop Duffy - been saying it long enough, maybe if I keep saying it it will happen - although with Egan gone that presents a difficulty.

It won’t happen, but I’d really like to see us try a hybrid 343/352- delighted to hear Clark is back in.

——————-Travers
——--OShea Lenihan Clark
Doherty Molumby Hendrick Manning
—-Horgan— Collins — Curtis

Or the same first 8,
With Byrne & Brady in behind Idah.

We’ve two games now to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers which we’d always going to be a shot in the dark, where kick in the draw was always going to effect our chances as much as anything. We’re a tier three country that has struggled to beat tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 teams.
By the end of the next campaign we should have a settled squad, comfortable with a pattern and style of football that plays to our abilities best.

osarusan
14/11/2020, 12:35 PM
Proluit insano contorquens, insano libertatis.

Totus, tuus, iminimus, canus, costacurta, baggio, roberto.

Bielsa´s irish
14/11/2020, 2:08 PM
Whats going on with James McCarthy is his father still complicated ?

Bielsa´s irish
14/11/2020, 2:09 PM
how is the squad by today?

Bielsa´s irish
14/11/2020, 6:30 PM
Noble defence on his players...https://twitter.com/FAIreland
I say James McCarthy may be back for the last game

Bielsa´s irish
15/11/2020, 3:09 AM
randolph
doherty
long
duffy
oshea
molumby
hendrick
brady
odowda
idah
mcclean

Olé Olé
15/11/2020, 10:09 AM
randolph
doherty
long
duffy
oshea
molumby
hendrick
brady
odowda
idah
mcclean

I like the back four.

Would love to see Knight in and Brady moved forward for O'Dowda. Also, if it's a choice between O'Dowda and Horgan from the last night then Horgan for me.

I think McClean is worth starting in a game like today. There's no compelling alternative and he will enjoy annoying the Welsh.

Kingdom
15/11/2020, 2:09 PM
I think Malone was reporting last week that McClean was being rested for the England game to be ready for the Welsh match, so assume he's going to start. His suspension is up right?

BonnieShels
15/11/2020, 2:25 PM
Having erased the horror of Thursday from memory, I'm looking forward to doing a Welsh double this weekend.

Especially on this outrageously busy day of sport.

COYBIG

Bielsa´s irish
15/11/2020, 2:56 PM
randolph
doherty
long
duffy
oshea
molumby
hendrick
brady
odowda
idah
mcclean

I gave the team that an irish friend told me only to Horgan replacing odowda.

Oshea as a full back

tommy_c12000
15/11/2020, 2:58 PM
What is going on with Horgans persistent selection? Good to see Molumby in there. Hopefully Idah will score...

pineapple stu
15/11/2020, 2:59 PM
Horgan played ok against England in fairness. Actually made a couple of incisive forward passes, which is what the cut for "ok" was in that game. I'm ok with it for the moment. I agree on his limitations alright - even at Dundalk he struck me as a Damien Duff lookalike without the end product.

Razors left peg
15/11/2020, 3:01 PM
What is going on with Horgans persistent selection? Good to see Molumby in there. Hopefully Idah will score...
Horgan was one only decent players last Wednesday, did enough to keep his place anyway.

I like all the changes he made.

tommy_c12000
15/11/2020, 3:02 PM
While he was “ok”, he failed at PNE, did nothing at Hibs, and now is playing Wycombe Wanderers in league 1 at the age of 28. His hand has been declared. Need to be focusing on other players to develop.

Actually they’re in relegation zone in championship! My bad! But still don’t understand his selection.

gally
15/11/2020, 3:03 PM
An alternative formation with the players selected.

Randolph
O,Shea Duffy Long
Doherty Molumby Hendrick McClean
Horgan Idah Brady

Or switch McClean with Brady.

Razors left peg
15/11/2020, 3:04 PM
Don't disagree Tommy but I don't see many players pushing for that right wing spot at moment especially with players out

Bielsa´s irish
15/11/2020, 3:05 PM
S.K sees Manning as a midfielder out wide

tommy_c12000
15/11/2020, 3:08 PM
Id take Doherty right wing, O’Shea right back, Manning left back (although he hasn’t played much). But suppose it highlights the poor squad we have presently and how stretched we far with injuries/covid

Razors left peg
15/11/2020, 3:10 PM
Id take Doherty right wing, O’Shea right back, Manning left back (although he hasn’t played much). But suppose it highlights the poor squad we have presently and how stretched we far with injuries/covid
Yeah I wouldn't argue with you too hard about those choices, although I'm not convinced about Manning and I don't think Doherty is suited to playing that far forward in a front 3