PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane's booking

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 9:29 AM
Anyone else think that Keane's action in getting himself booked (again) for disputing the disallowed goal was unprofessional and could cost the team dear ? For someone who is forever preaching about being professional it was (and not for the first time) a piece of stupidity on his part. Is he likely to go through the French and Cypriot games without being booked ? We need him for the games against both Cyprus (remember his great performance last time we were there) and the final crunch game against the Swiss but now he has to be very careful. I wish he would practice what he preaches.

My heart was also in my mouth when Duff pulled back a Faroese player in the last couple of minutes - lucky to avoid a booking which would meant he would miss the French game.

pete
10/06/2005, 9:32 AM
Anyone else think that Keane's action in getting himself booked (again) for disputing the disallowed goal was unprofessional and could cost the team dear ? For someone who is forever preaching about being professional it was (and not for the first time) a piece of stupidity on his part.

Yes. Dunphy will still make an excuse for him though.

Stuttgart88
10/06/2005, 9:38 AM
My heart was also in my mouth when Duff pulled back a Faroese player in the last couple of minutes - lucky to avoid a booking which would meant he would miss the French game.

Mine too, big time.

I think Keane expects to get away that that type of behaviour 99% of the time. The Greek ref on Saturday wouldn't have batted an eyelid I reckon.

And I actually think that it was a bad call - wasn't Morrisson behind the ball when it was sqaured to him?

fosterdollar
10/06/2005, 9:41 AM
It didn't seem like he was ranting at the ref for long. Thought he was hard done by tbh.

carnstien
10/06/2005, 9:50 AM
It didn't seem like he was ranting at the ref for long. Thought he was hard done by tbh.
Agreed, it was like the penalty O'Shea gave away against Isreal, technically the ref was right to book him but 99 times out of 100 he gets away with it.

Don Vito
10/06/2005, 9:51 AM
Lads can't you see the last thing Alex Ferguson needs is Roy Keane heading off to Cyprus in October. You'll find Keane will be booked against the French and miss the away trip to Cyprus, as soon as I saw the booking thats what went through my mind.

thejollyrodger
10/06/2005, 9:56 AM
It was end of season stuff. I think Keano will get through france without a booking and we should be ok.

I think Josh's mentality was really annoying though. he is soft as sh1te and needs a proper good kicking in the dressing room to waken him up to whats required of him in international soccer

Macy
10/06/2005, 10:00 AM
You moaning cnuts would find some reason to criticise him regardless. :rolleyes:

Pretty obvious he shouldn't have come back, as he's damned for some reason every game by the begrudgers....

Don Vito
10/06/2005, 10:00 AM
It was end of season stuff. I think Keano will get through france without a booking and we should be ok.

I think Josh's mentality was really annoying though. he is soft as sh1te and needs a proper good kicking in the dressing room to waken him up to whats required of him in international soccer

Can't see Keane getting throught the French match without a booking, besides I'd prefer if he was suspended for the Cyrpus game rather than the Swiss game.

fosterdollar
10/06/2005, 10:02 AM
Lads can't you see the last thing Alex Ferguson needs is Roy Keane heading off to Cyprus in October.
Boring... Even if this were true seasons ago, it certainly isn't true now. Manchester United would be rightly f***ed if they're succes depended on Keane playing every match next season. Drop the conspiracy theories.

Don Vito
10/06/2005, 10:12 AM
Boring... Even if this were true seasons ago, it certainly isn't true now. Manchester United would be rightly f***ed if they're succes depended on Keane playing every match next season. Drop the conspiracy theories.

The sad thing for MUFC and its fans is that they are still heavily reliant on Roy. I'm not saying Ferguson told Roy to go out and get booked but its not exactly terrible news for United if Roy doesn't have to travel to Cyprus. Also those qualifiers are in between the last qualifying round (29th Sept) and first group stages of the Champions League (20th Oct).

Stuttgart88
10/06/2005, 10:25 AM
This is stupid. Roy nearly breaks Overmars' ribs in September 2001 and it's a legendary tackle not a deserved yellow card. He swears at a ref in response to what I think was a wrong decision and he's just thinking of what's good for MUFC. I don't think so.

backodanet
10/06/2005, 10:28 AM
i think he was thinking of the matches ahead miss cyprus after another yellow for a foul on paddy veria and back to guide us throught against the swiss but will he play against italy in the friendly??

Macy
10/06/2005, 10:39 AM
i think he was thinking of the matches ahead miss cyprus after another yellow for a foul on paddy veria and back to guide us throught against the swiss but will he play against italy in the friendly??
:rolleyes: Retire Roy, it's not worth the shít.

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 10:49 AM
:rolleyes: Retire Roy, it's not worth the shít.

Poor Roy :rolleyes: . He abuses people for alleged unprofessionalism and then commits an unprofessional act that could cost us qualification because he is so important to us but we're not allowed mention it?? The booking in Israel was also daft by the way.

Remember the Dutch game where he clobbered Kluivert within a few minutes. His hands are now tied to a certain extent in the French game and can't lay down such a marker without risking missing the next game - all for a piece of useless and petulant dissent. We'll need him in Cyprus AND the Swiss games. I just fear that stupid action will cost us all dear in the long run.

fosterdollar
10/06/2005, 10:49 AM
I'm not saying Ferguson told Roy to go out and get booked but its not exactly terrible news for United if Roy doesn't have to travel to Cyprus.

So what? It's never bad news for a player's club when they are banned from an international match. What's so different about this case?

dr_peepee
10/06/2005, 10:56 AM
Where's the shock? Needless bookings have been a Roy Keane speciality for the last decade and a half. If he hasn't learned by now he's not going to. If he was indifferent to decisions I'd be more worried...

ColinR
10/06/2005, 10:58 AM
We'll need him in Cyprus AND the Swiss games. I just fear that stupid action will cost us all dear in the long run.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

we NEED him for cyprus ???? c'mon cyprus are **** poor.

why roy came back when irish fans give hm this grief i don't know.

roy is stupid, roy is terrible, but roy we need you :rolleyes:

Macy
10/06/2005, 10:59 AM
Where's the shock?
It's all a big conspiracy. Don't you believe all of Cathal Dervans love children? They say so, so it must be true....

NeilMcD
10/06/2005, 11:06 AM
This is the most stupid thread ever. There is a long list of Irish players on bookings. He is on one of them. Morrisson looked to be onside and Keane gave out. He probably should not have however I still thing subconciously he is captain and more often than not captains get away with comments like that. A silly booking but no need to start a ****ing thread over it. Unless there are other motives behind it.

Cosmo
10/06/2005, 11:12 AM
'Unless there are other motives behind it.'

Yeah there are some muppets of irish supporters. If I was him I wouldn't have bothered coming back when ye hear some of this crap. All this crap over 1 booking :rolleyes: .

Junior
10/06/2005, 11:42 AM
Poor Roy :rolleyes: . He abuses people for alleged unprofessionalism and then commits an unprofessional act that could cost us qualification because he is so important to us but we're not allowed mention it?? The booking in Israel was also daft by the way.

Remember the Dutch game where he clobbered Kluivert within a few minutes. His hands are now tied to a certain extent in the French game and can't lay down such a marker without risking missing the next game - all for a piece of useless and petulant dissent. We'll need him in Cyprus AND the Swiss games. I just fear that stupid action will cost us all dear in the long run.

Silly thread, every player on that pitch will have moaned at a ref at some point in their career. He voiced his disagreement with the decision, It didn't appear to be over the top and looked a fairly harsh decision to get a booking.

If you are looking for unprofessional acts that will cost us dear, look no further than the woeful finishing by Duff and co against Israel for starters or indeed Kerr's tactics in the same game (if you can call them that).

You generally post decent enough stuff - this is shoite.

And if you think RK's hands will be tied against the french because of this booking - you obviously haven't been following his career too closley. His hands weren't tied against Juve in the CL Semi Final game were they? He just simply isn't that type of player. He will be looking to win v France and will do all he can for those 90 minutes regardless of the games thereafter. I for one am grateful of that.

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 11:43 AM
This is the most stupid thread ever. There is a long list of Irish players on bookings. He is on one of them. Morrisson looked to be onside and Keane gave out. He probably should not have however I still thing subconciously he is captain and more often than not captains get away with comments like that. A silly booking but no need to start a ****ing thread over it. Unless there are other motives behind it.

We'll see how stupid this thread is if we lose him for one of the last two games because of a needless booking for mouthing off (having just come back from suspension). If you preach professionalism, you should practice what you preach.

So we can criticise O'Shea, Morrisson etc but not Keane. Sorry, didn't realise he was above reproach :eek: .

ColinR
10/06/2005, 11:47 AM
So we can criticise O'Shea, Morrisson etc but not Keane. Sorry, didn't realise he was above reproach :eek: .

we criticise other players for not playing well. some people will criticise roy keane for being roy keane.

how many other threads have you started since the start of the qualifying campaign about a needless yellow card?? why is roy so special for you :rolleyes:

Junior
10/06/2005, 12:01 PM
No player is above reproach, thats what this forum is for voicing our opinions but this seems petty. Didn't Duff get booked on Saturday? No thread I notice...................

eirebhoy
10/06/2005, 12:02 PM
Lads can't you see the last thing Alex Ferguson needs is Roy Keane heading off to Cyprus in October. You'll find Keane will be booked against the French and miss the away trip to Cyprus, as soon as I saw the booking thats what went through my mind.
Whether he can play or not he'll be travelling to Cyprus with the rest of the team as we have Switzerland 4 days later.

We'll see how stupid this thread is if we lose him for one of the last two games because of a needless booking for mouthing off (having just come back from suspension). If you preach professionalism, you should practice what you preach.
Oh, C'mon. The goal looked onside and Keane said it to the ref. I would be shocked if Roy Keane walked away and accepted it after 14 years of doing the same.

NeilMcD
10/06/2005, 12:03 PM
I think we should start a thread every time a player gets for Ireland and say how silly and unprofessional it was of them to get booked. I think we have about 8 players on booking at the moment.

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 12:04 PM
Because he is a special player who we will need badly in our last two games and may well now miss one of those. That yellow card could yet be one of the most significant events of that Faroe game. I also mentioned the Duff incident as well by the way. I would have been fuming if he had got a yellow card for a stupid pull on a jersey and then miss the French game.

But you can join the 3 monkey brigade if you wish: See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil.

Someone said we mightn't need him against Cyprus. Ireland don't do easy away games. That is not a banker by any stretch of the imagination although hopefully we won't have to play in a gale on a bumpy pitch there.

eirebhoy
10/06/2005, 12:09 PM
I think a thread about getting suspended for 2 bookings should be opened. Its ridiculous that you play 10-12 matches and are only allowed 1 yellow card in that time. The world cup group has 3 matches and you also are need 2 bookings for suspension. the PL has 38 matches and you are allowed 5 bookings. You should definitely be allowed 3 bookings in such a time period.

NeilMcD
10/06/2005, 12:11 PM
I agree however that would mean Keane misses the French game ha ha !!1

stojkovic
10/06/2005, 12:11 PM
I think Keane's disciplinary record in the premiership over last two years is excellent.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Anyway Viera wont come near Keano anyway so it will be easy ;)

eirebhoy
10/06/2005, 12:14 PM
I agree however that would mean Keane misses the French game ha ha !!1
Nah, thats like saying if Israel didn't get that freekick they still would have got the peno in injury time. Nobody knows what will happen under different circumstances. He would have kept himself quiet on Wednesday probably. :)

I think Keane's disciplinary record in the premiership over last two years is excellent.

Can anyone confirm this ?
Well, last the 03/04 season he managed to go through with just 3 cards but last season he was back to his usual self with 12. :)

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 12:14 PM
I think we should start a thread every time a player gets for Ireland and say how silly and unprofessional it was of them to get booked. I think we have about 8 players on booking at the moment.

And how many of them have already missed a game in this tournament due to picking up a booking or who have just returned from suspension? In another thread you say you agreed with Dunphy that we wouldn't have thrown away a 2 goal lead against Israel if Keane was playing. Why wasn't he playing ? Because of his two previous bookings and what happens ? Back next game and immediately booked for dissent of all things. Crass stupidity in anybody'd language except the 3 monkey brigade who will hear no evil.

Cosmo
10/06/2005, 12:38 PM
'We'll see how stupid this thread is if we lose him for one of the last two games because of a needless booking for mouthing off'

Well done, thanks for pointing that out - it's Roy Keane's fault if we don't qualify for germany :eek:

Lets blame Roy :rolleyes: .

Honestly, I really don't know why he bothered coming back having to listen some of the tripe by some people

drinkfeckarse
10/06/2005, 12:49 PM
Yellow cards are part and parcel of the game. So Roy got booked :rolleyes: it's not the first time he's been booked for mouthing and it won't be the last. Some players have that in their make up, some don't but as soon as Keane is booked its all "yeah he's wanting to miss the Cyprus game etc".

I've rarely heard anything as dumb.

It's a part of his game that he's vastly improved on in recent times and in all fairness, I'd have been swearing at the ref too after Morrison was yet again given offside when clearly not.

ColinR
10/06/2005, 1:21 PM
But you can join the 3 monkey brigade if you wish: See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil.

but there's also an equivalent it appears,

see no good, speak no good , & hear no good - when it comes to roy keane - and certain people are showing that they fall into that monkey brigade as well - 'if you wish'

Cosmo
10/06/2005, 1:36 PM
'but when you set yourself up as the defender of integrity'

Yeah, thats what he led people to believe - that he'd never get a yellow card for the rest of his career :rolleyes:

BaZmO*
10/06/2005, 1:50 PM
roy is stupid, roy is terrible, but roy we need you :rolleyes:

Exactly!!!

Funny how out of all the people that complained about RK getting booked not one of them have raised the point that maybe the Ref was being harsh in booking him.

Unlike Rugby, where the rules state that players aren't allowed to approach the Referee to complain/discuss decisions, there is no such rule in football. If the captain can't complain about a decision what's the point in having a captain?

B.

fosterdollar
10/06/2005, 1:53 PM
If the captain can't complain about a decision what's the point in having a captain?

B.

He's ..eh... not the captain, but it think i agree with you.

BaZmO*
10/06/2005, 1:54 PM
He's ..eh... not the captain, but it think i agree with you.

:o Sorry!!! I didn't mean captain, but I think you know what I mean?!?!

B.

ColinR
10/06/2005, 2:07 PM
No no, you misunderstand what I said.

It's just that every time he gets a yellow card his offical spokesman, Eamon Dunphy, is at pains to point out that he's an honest player and that gets him into trouble...ie. his cards are all about tackling hard, not spitting, dragging etc. etc. And when one is put on a pedastal, it's easy to get...ahem...knocked off...

but the problem also is that 'certain people' will knock him down if he gets booked, fouls, plays bad or even bloody sneezes. we are on the page 3 about a yellow card - the only reason that this thread appears to have been started was to have a go at roy keane.

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 2:13 PM
but there's also an equivalent it appears,

see no good, speak no good , & hear no good - when it comes to roy keane - and certain people are showing that they fall into that monkey brigade as well - 'if you wish'

I'm not one of them. I have stated how vital it is to have him for all the last few games. He along with Duff, Robbie and Cunningham are our key players. I stand by what I say though that it is stupid, having just come back from suspension, and missed a vital home game against Israel (his absence costing us 2 points according to some people) to get booked for dissent against the Faroes in the very next match with 3 vital games coming up.

As to whether the booking was justified, I have no idea as I didn't hear what he said to the ref. But when do refs change their minds about goals - stupid unprofessional booking.

As for the comment about Duff - when he publicly attacks his fellow team mates for being unprofessional and then gets booked for dissent against Lichtenstein or San Marino I'll give him stick as well.

Junior
10/06/2005, 2:57 PM
As for the comment about Duff - when he publicly attacks his fellow team mates for being unprofessional and then gets booked for dissent against Lichtenstein or San Marino I'll give him stick as well.

so it is personal then? The differentiator is because of what keane has said in the past.

In the end Duffs booking against Israel will be just as crucial.

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 3:02 PM
so it is personal then? The differentiator is because of what keane has said in the past.In the end Duffs booking against Israel will be just as crucial.

Well, it's hardly going to be something he's going to say in the future :eek: .

I hope to God neither of them gets booked again because without them both, I don't see us progressing I'm afraid.

Junior
10/06/2005, 3:14 PM
For me, absolutely. Very personal. We were best friends once. Used to go double dating and all. Then he stole my ruler, I broke his set square, he let the air out of my bike tyres etc. etc.... ;)

I missed your dry wit & wonderful sense of humour whilst you took your self imposed vacation from the wonderful climates of foot.ie............

going on holiday again soon, per chance? ;)