PDA

View Full Version : Glazer's Plans

Pages : [1] 2

Frank Blue
10/06/2005, 7:32 AM
Ho hum, glad I am not a United fan:

Malcolm Glazer plans to raise ticket prices at Manchester United by 54% within five years, to boost the club's revenues to £246m by 2010. (The Times)

Will fans accept this? If they do, they must be mad!!!!

Edited to add:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4079544.stm

Macy
10/06/2005, 7:48 AM
Will fans accept this? If they do, they must be mad!!!!
It's good news imo. More he does in this vain, the more fans will fook it off, the quicker he won't be able to service the debt, and the quicker he'll be gone from the club.

There's only one United - and it's FC United.

Clifford
10/06/2005, 11:07 AM
Thought it was fcum was the choice?

ColinR
10/06/2005, 11:19 AM

voting on the website last til next monday, so no name deceided yet

Macy
10/06/2005, 11:30 AM
Members get to vote on the name until Monday.
FC United of Manchester got my vote, so hopefully...

noby
10/06/2005, 11:35 AM
At least with fcum, it's easier to get chants that rhyme.

Dodge
10/06/2005, 11:48 AM
That sounds awful macy! What're the other options? Link?

Macy
10/06/2005, 11:52 AM
That sounds awful macy! What're the other options? Link?
It's not great, but at least it contains Manchester and United. FC United would've been fine with me, but the FA said it was too generic.

The Choices...
FC United of Manchester
FC Manchester Central
AFC Manchester 1878
Newton Heath United FC

Frank Blue
10/06/2005, 11:55 AM
It's not great, but at least it contains Manchester and United. FC United would've been fine with me, but the FA said it was too generic.

The Choices...
FC United of Manchester
FC Manchester Central
AFC Manchester 1878
Newton Heath United FC

What's this all about?

ColinR
10/06/2005, 11:57 AM

The Choices...
FC United of Manchester
FC Manchester Central
AFC Manchester 1878
Newton Heath United FC

voted for afc manchester 1878. dont like the fc ones, and would rather manchester in the title than newton heath

Macy
10/06/2005, 12:08 PM
voted for afc manchester 1878. dont like the fc ones, and would rather manchester in the title than newton heath
We should be allowed Manchester United FC, seeing as the plc long since dropped the FC off the badge....

pete
10/06/2005, 12:29 PM
Ticket prices will make no difference. They'll just sell more corporate packages. Won;'t make any difference to irish day trippers as only over for couple of games a season anyway.

superfrank
10/06/2005, 12:35 PM
.........and the quicker he'll be gone from the club.
Don't you mean the quicker the club'll be gone?

Macy
10/06/2005, 12:51 PM
Don't you mean the quicker the club'll be gone?
The club's already gone.

superfrank
10/06/2005, 12:55 PM
But it'll be officially gone if yez don't help him out with the debt.

So before yez go on a power trip maybe you should think about the future of the club you support rather then the old fogey in control of it. Cos, in fairness, do you think Giggs, Rooney and Ronaldo will want to play for FC United? :cool:

anto1208
10/06/2005, 12:55 PM
he is giving them 25 mill a year transfer funds , it does prove he does nt have a clue about europeen footy . utd need to spend 60 to 100 mill to even consider catching chelsea

Macy
10/06/2005, 1:00 PM
But it'll be officially gone if yez don't help him out with the debt.
That's what the Pheonix Fund is for. Buy the club when he bankrupts. Why should fans bail out someone from their debts. The club has gone from being debt free, to an unservicable amount. It's all about the future, it doesn't take a lot to see that.

anto - the 25 million mentioned isn't the budget, it's the cap. The maximum Fergie could spend is 25 million, not that he'll have 25 million to spend.

superfrank
10/06/2005, 1:11 PM
It's not someone, it's YOUR club!!! :mad:
Can't you take a leaf out of the 400 Club's book?
And Rovers aren't exactly a succesful club at the moment.

Whereas United, everybody knows they are a big club so get behind them.

Macy
10/06/2005, 1:20 PM
It's not someone, it's YOUR club!!! :mad:
Can't you take a leaf out of the 400 Club's book?
And Rovers aren't exactly a succesful club at the moment.

Whereas United, everybody knows they are a big club so get behind them.
United fans are doing exactly what the 400 club did. We're refusing to prop up a sham regime.

Suppose you think Wimbledon fans should've followed the club the Milton Keynes, and all the clubs now controlled by supporters trusts should've just blindly handed up money to their previously failing boards?

Blindly following a club regardless isn't support - it's idiotic.

anto1208
10/06/2005, 1:36 PM
anto - the 25 million mentioned isn't the budget, it's the cap. The maximum Fergie could spend is 25 million, not that he'll have 25 million to spend.

i understand transfer budgets :D i know its not 25 mill to spend , i know wages and signing on fees plus resigning players out of contracts has to come from that , .

is that starting from this year ?as in will it be 25 mill - 10 mill to everton for rooney leaving only 15 mill .

plus its another 4 mill the following year plus if utd win anything they could owe up to another 5 mill on top of that .

Macy
10/06/2005, 1:41 PM
i understand transfer budgets :D i know its not 25 mill to spend , i know wages and signing on fees plus resigning players out of contracts has to come from that , .

is that starting from this year ?as in will it be 25 mill - 10 mill to everton for rooney leaving only 15 mill .

plus its another 4 mill the following year plus if utd win anything they could owe up to another 5 mill on top of that .
No, it would be up to 25 million on Transfer fees.

No idea when it starts, but Rooney's money would already be accounted from the time the deal is signed.

Frank Blue
10/06/2005, 1:42 PM

Manchester? Why is the the plan to move into the city from Trafford?

Macy
10/06/2005, 1:48 PM
Manchester? Why is the the plan to move into the city from Trafford?
No need, Old Trafford will be in Manchester at the next boundary change. The details have already been announced. The Boocamp on the other hand is to come under Tameside. To happen in 2008.

Frank Blue
10/06/2005, 1:56 PM
No need, Old Trafford will be in Manchester at the next boundary change. The details have already been announced. The Boocamp on the other hand is to come under Tameside. To happen in 2008.

No way. Not heard a thing about that.

anto1208
10/06/2005, 1:57 PM
No, it would be up to 25 million on Transfer fees.

No idea when it starts, but Rooney's money would already be accounted from the time the deal is signed.

then what are ye moaning about thats a lot to spend every year ,

the only problem is the debt and if the fans stopped being a bunch of moaning tight manc tw ats and got behind the team they claim to support then the debt would be cleared in a few years ,ye will have way better players couches etc ....

only difference it will make is to ticket prices but that wont affect the majority of utd fans that travel all the way to the local to watch there team on the box .

ColinR
10/06/2005, 2:11 PM
then what are ye moaning about thats a lot to spend every year ,

the only problem is the debt and if the fans stopped being a bunch of moaning tight manc tw ats and got behind the team they claim to support then the debt would be cleared in a few years ,ye will have way better players couches etc ....

only difference it will make is to ticket prices but that wont affect the majority of utd fans that travel all the way to the local to watch there team on the box .

a bit of weird logic there :rolleyes:

the fans that are complaining are those that go the matches. that have to pay to watch the team, glazer does effect them, ticket prices effect them etc.

Macy
10/06/2005, 2:39 PM
No way. Not heard a thing about that.
I know, Stockport would make more sense.

Macy
10/06/2005, 2:39 PM
Well done, one barstooler having a go at other barstoolers.....

anto1208
10/06/2005, 2:43 PM
Well done, one barstooler having a go at other barstoolers.....

im a season ticket holder ,for the record , my bar stool is a plastic blue one 20 rows from the pitch !!!!

anto1208
10/06/2005, 2:47 PM
a bit of weird logic there :rolleyes:

the fans that are complaining are those that go the matches. that have to pay to watch the team, glazer does effect them, ticket prices effect them etc.

i said the majority of fans go to the pub , only 60,000 go to the games ,there are millions of utd fans that a price increase will never effect

WeAreRovers
10/06/2005, 2:47 PM
United fans are doing exactly what the 400 club did. We're refusing to prop up a sham regime.

Suppose you think Wimbledon fans should've followed the club the Milton Keynes, and all the clubs now controlled by supporters trusts should've just blindly handed up money to their previously failing boards?

Blindly following a club regardless isn't support - it's idiotic.

All true. Ironically a few months ago we were in touch with Shareholders Utd and the MEC to ask advice and in the last month we've been able to reciprocate.

Best of luck with all of it - Phoenix Fund and FC United. Hopefully it'll work out for Rovers and United.

KOH

WeAreRovers
10/06/2005, 2:48 PM
i said the majority of fans go to the pub , only 60,000 go to the games ,there are millions of utd fans that a price increase will never effect

Eh, point of order - if they don't go to the match they're not fans. Simple as.

KOH

Macy
10/06/2005, 2:49 PM
Yeah, but whats wrong with the one's it will effect doing something about it? I'll repeat the question I put to Superfrank - were the AFC Wimbledon fans wrong? Are the various supporters trusts wrong? Should they have all just backed their previous boards?

Macy
10/06/2005, 2:50 PM
im a season ticket holder ,for the record , my bar stool is a plastic blue one 20 rows from the pitch !!!!
It was worth a punt on an Irish website :D Can defo abuse you for being a scouse granny stabber now....

anto1208
10/06/2005, 2:59 PM
Yeah, but whats wrong with the one's it will effect doing something about it? I'll repeat the question I put to Superfrank - were the AFC Wimbledon fans wrong? Are the various supporters trusts wrong? Should they have all just backed their previous boards?

yea a real fan would support the club through the good times the bad and the ugly times , other wise you may as well be a liverpool fan and give up supporting your team untill they win something .

you cant just change the team you support

real fans keep supporting the club no matter what coz managers players chairmen and owners all come and go but the club is allways there .look at the everton fans years of a rubbish owner that got us nearly 50 mill in debt , followed by years of relagation battles yet every week there is nearly a full house .because they are real fans that allways support the club no matter what and now the bad patch is over they can fully enjoy the rewards , because if it had nt been for the fans the club would have gone under a long time ago .

so when i see so called real utd fans talking about bicotting games or starting a new club , i know that they couldnt be real fans of the club just the glory hunters that jumped on the band wagon and now want off coz it has a wonky wheel

ColinR
10/06/2005, 3:04 PM
so when i see so called real utd fans talking about bicotting games or starting a new club , i know that they couldnt be real fans of the club just the glory hunters that jumped on the band wagon and now want off coz it has a wonky wheel

yeah, because fc united (or whatever name it will be) is for glory hunting. the joy of non league??

personally, whilst have pledged money to fc united, and will follow their progress, will not turn my back on united, but at the same time can understand those that have and will

anto1208
10/06/2005, 3:29 PM
It was worth a punt on an Irish website :D Can defo abuse you for being a scouse granny stabber now....

was worth a shot i suppose :D

whats the granny stabber bit about? ive never been called that and ive been called most things over the years :D

Macy
13/06/2005, 12:40 PM
We lost, for now. Still fighting it though, rather than rolling over and taking it like a lids fans favourite ewe....

btw Many people had season ticket renewals in before the Glazer deal.

Macy
13/06/2005, 12:52 PM
:D

Was 'fighting it' the bit where some group called SU overstated how much support they had, and a few fans turned up at Old Trafford a few weeks ago and went home before 7? Oh and 'Red Issue' shut down!

Let's face it, the fight's over. I can appreciate the fans displeasure, but the deal is done.
Well we should know this week really. tbh More excited about the potential of FC United than píssed off at the demise of the plc. If, and it's still a big if, FC United develops as it could then Glazer could've done United a favour - a money man too far...

Macy
13/06/2005, 1:15 PM
What is FC United? This something like Wimbledon where some fans form a new club and it goes into some local league?
Yeah, pretty much. Awaiting finalisation as to where in the pyramid the club will be entering.

Macy
14/06/2005, 10:49 AM
From redish...

Despite the spin being put on the sales figures from Old Trafford it appears that there has been a sizeable number of fans refusing to renew. The club were looking to release an extra three thousand books to cover the stadium expansion taking season ticket and LMTB sales to over 45000. The best the club can now hope for is 2500 down on that target.

The article in the Times laughably tries to claim that only 120 fans have refused to renew and that the club have some 2000 books still to process, in this figure will be all those fans who have received begging emails and telephone calls after the renewal deadline has passed.

A spokesman for the anti-Glazer coalition told Red Issue this morning:

‘It would be wrong to claim that missing the pre-season sales target figure by two to three thousand is a critical blow to Glazer’s plans but if this can be built on during the season his expectation that fans will turn up and pay up regardless will be severely rocked. Many more fans have sold their books on to friends and others have decided to give it one more year to see how Glazer’s plans for the club develop. His bankers and financiers will be carefully watching developments and we intend to step up the pressure on Glazer’s sponsors and business partners.’

pete
14/06/2005, 10:51 AM
Game is up now with Glazer having 97.5% of the shares. By my calculations means only something like 20m worth of shares at best are in independent hands. Alongside record season ticket sales doesn't seem to be much opposition.

Public company was the cause of Manchesters success & may be the cause of its preceived failure.

Macy
14/06/2005, 11:02 AM
Alongside record season ticket sales doesn't seem to be much opposition.
As per above, Season Ticket and LMTB sales are 2500-3000 down on expectations. Not a huge amount, but kinda debuncts the myth that there's 1000's waiting for every seat no matter what the cost/who's in charge

Public company was the cause of Manchesters success & may be the cause of its preceived failure.
It wasn't the cause of the success. United's on field success happened with the advent of the Premier League, huge TV deals etc, which made the plc a success. That could've been done as a Private Company or a Members Club...

Macy
14/06/2005, 12:26 PM
FC United of Manchester it is....

STEERING GROUP ANNOUNCE NAME OF NEW FOOTBALL CLUB
by editor on 14-06-2005 at 12:37

The Steering group set up to lay the foundations of the new football club for disenfranchised Manchester United supporters today announces the name of that club as voted by it’s founder members.

A spokesman said:

"Over the last few days those who have pledged money and help to the new club have been voting on a range of names. The name of the club, as decreed via a democratic vote is 'Football Club United of Manchester.”

"The number of people who have pledged support for Football Club United of Manchester is already in excess of 2600 and is growing daily.”

"The club will now apply to a league for admittance for season 2005/06. The steering group will be presenting its case, which includes a comprehensive business plan and full structure of the club, to officials from Moore & Co Solicitors North West Counties Football League on Wednesday ahead of the league's AGM this weekend"

"The venture is quickly gathering momentum as will become more and more evident to our supporters. We will be announcing further developments in the coming days. We are optimistic of a successful outcome"

Slash/ED
14/06/2005, 12:45 PM
I don't get this over reaction. An american takes over the club, you know nothing of him or his plans at all, the only thng you know is he took a nothing team and won the superbowl with them, and you're off forming your own club.

Shareholders united seemed to me at least to be attention seekers after their five minutes of fame.

Man U became a PLC and DID get a lot of money and success on the back of that, other factors helped but that was a big issue. You can't whinge now, where were shareholders united in 1991? That's when they should have been protested, I may have listened to what they had of said if they were.

Macy
14/06/2005, 12:58 PM
Not surprised coming from a shels fan, who obviously don't give a fook who runs their club.

IMUSA and Shareholders United hardly fly by nights, and just shows a complete lack of knowledge.

Of course becoming a plc is garanteed to make money - just ask Spurs, Millwall etc... :rolleyes:

anto eile
14/06/2005, 1:00 PM
It's good news imo. More he does in this vain, the more fans will fook it off, the quicker he won't be able to service the debt, and the quicker he'll be gone from the club.

There's only one United - and it's FC United.
it seems the fans will accept it. theyre expecting record season ticket sales of 42500 this year:D

Macy
14/06/2005, 1:04 PM
theyre expecting record season ticket sales of 42500 this year:D
Christ, does no one read - they were expecting to sell 45000....

Slash/ED
14/06/2005, 1:06 PM
IMUSA and Shareholders United hardly fly by nights, and just shows a complete lack of knowledge.

Where was their campaign and FC United when man U became a PLC?

anto eile
14/06/2005, 1:07 PM
i only said theyre expecting to sell record season tickets,whether its 45000 or 42500-its still record sales. had the ticket sales actually dropped on last year to say 35000 then it would be interesting.fact is, season ticket sales are up again at manchester