PDA

View Full Version : Tyson V McBride

Hibs4Ever
10/06/2005, 8:17 AM
Can't get on to the betting websites in work. Can anyone get me the odds for McBride to K.O. Tyson

Thanks

gustavo
10/06/2005, 8:44 AM
dunno about knockout but hes
Kevin McBride 13 - 2 to win on paddy power

drinkfeckarse
10/06/2005, 9:37 AM
Anybody know anything about McBride? I know he's apparently got a great record and he's one of our own but before this I'd never heard of him. Has he just fought bums to get his record up?

Was anyone at home aware of him before the fight was made??

Is he American Irish??

Has he ever had Irish Stew??

Cheers,

Confused from Cobh.

SaucyJack
10/06/2005, 1:08 PM
Anybody know anything about McBride? I know he's apparently got a great record and he's one of our own but before this I'd never heard of him. Has he just fought bums to get his record up?

Was anyone at home aware of him before the fight was made??

Is he American Irish??

Has he ever had Irish Stew??

Cheers,

Confused from Cobh.

He's from Clones, Monaghan....been in the states for the last 6 or 7 years.

eirebhoy
10/06/2005, 2:42 PM
dunno about knockout but hes
Kevin McBride 13 - 2 to win on paddy power
Gone down to 11/2 now. Seems to be a bit of money going on him.

Is he American Irish??
McBride is 100% Irish.

dancinpants
10/06/2005, 5:12 PM
He's known as the "Clones Colossus". I've a feeling he's gonny get spanked (hope I'm wrong) but he doesn't seem to be highly rated by the guy Williams that beat Tyson last year. Tyson looks in decent shape, weighing in at 16.5 stone. McBride looks like he could be slow, weighing in at 19 stone and standing at 6ft 6"... :eek: . Most people over here are predicting a quick fight - first 2 or 3 rounds.

Aberdonian Stu
10/06/2005, 6:13 PM
He was heavily protected in his early years before losing badly to a bad journeyman. Had a few bad years but put in a respectable display when losing to Axl Schultz shortly before moving stateside and has toughened up by all accounts.

He was originally touted as a potential opponent when Tyson first got out of jail but McBride's camp said no before any firm offer was made as McBride was still undefeated at the time. Was originally down to face Tyson when he took on Williams but a financial argument saw Tyson switch opponents, blame seemed to solely rest with Iron Mike on that occasion.

A poor Tyson should still be able to take him with ease but given how Williams beat him exactly the way he said he would I wouldn't say you could bank on Tyson for certain.

I predict a Tyson win by kayo in the fourth. If McBride is still standing then it would be a good time for an ante-post bet on the Irishman.

SaucyJack
10/06/2005, 6:25 PM
looks to be Tyson-McNealy part deux unfortunately.

Aberdonian Stu
10/06/2005, 6:44 PM
That fight both made and ruined McNeely.

McNeely was a solid fighter for the standard he fought at. Needless to say that wasn't in the same league as Tyson but McNeely was more than capable of someday being a state champion. The Tyson loss led to some reasonably good pay days against decent fighters on their way up and he out in some solid performances. Unfortunately it also got to him and he became a drug addict. I read his story in Ring magazine a few years back. He was clean for a while at that stage (haven't heard anything since). His dad had a similar experience. He got pounded by Floyd Patterson in a title defence and went on to become an alcholic.

SaucyJack
10/06/2005, 6:51 PM
That fight both made and ruined McNeely.

McNeely was a solid fighter for the standard he fought at. Needless to say that wasn't in the same league as Tyson but McNeely was more than capable of someday being a state champion. The Tyson loss led to some reasonably good pay days against decent fighters on their way up and he out in some solid performances. Unfortunately it also got to him and he became a drug addict. I read his story in Ring magazine a few years back. He was clean for a while at that stage (haven't heard anything since). His dad had a similar experience. He got pounded by Floyd Patterson in a title defence and went on to become an alcholic.

didn't know that, same thing happened with Gerry Cooney, went on to become a drug addict....pattern doesn't bode well for McBride.

SaucyJack
10/06/2005, 6:59 PM
and then there was Seamus McDonagh (http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2003-03-05/news/feature.html)

the 12 th man
10/06/2005, 8:59 PM
i heard mcbride being interviewed on the radio recently.he sounds like he's shipped his fair share of punches over the years as his speech was very ponderous and slurred.

i hope "iron mike" :rolleyes: does'nt nail him with a hay-maker

Dodge
11/06/2005, 11:16 AM
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=007386

All of McBride's stats aove. He fought in the olympics in 1992. Nothing boxer looking for one pay day. But heavyweight boxing is so bad, he'll probably get a title shot if he beats tyson. :rolleyes:

Anto McC
11/06/2005, 7:35 PM
Iron mike is of late a bit rusty :D

I'll get me coat,no wait,i don't have a coat.

Plastic Paddy
12/06/2005, 9:22 AM
In his day, a great boxer (one of THE greatest), but an awful ***** of a man. From the latter perspective, good riddance to bad rubbish.

:ball: PP

---

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4084744.stm

Tyson quits boxing after defeat

Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson said he will quit boxing after losing to Irish journeyman Kevin McBride in Washington on Saturday. Tyson looked far from comfortable during his fight which many expected him to win, and referee Joe Cortez stopped the fight before round seven.

McBride, from Monaghan, was awarded the bout on a technical knockout.

"I'm not going to fight again. I haven't got the fighting guts or the heart any more," said the 39-year-old.

Tyson, who has a record of 50 wins, including 44 knockouts, six defeats and two no-contests, said he did not want to disgrace the sport.

"I was just fighting to pay off the bills," he added. "I'm not an animal anymore."

Referee Cortez halted the bout after a manic sixth round which ended with Tyson hesistatingly rising and walking to his corner after being pushed down to the floor by McBride.

"This win was for the pride of Ireland," McBride said. "I proved everyone wrong."

Tyson was penalised two points for a head-butt in the sixth round that opened a cut under McBride's left eye.

McBride then had Tyson against the ropes in the same round and pushed him to the canvas, where he remained until after the bell rang.

Tyson returned to his stool, before his trainer Jeff Fenech signalled to the referee that his boxer would be unable to continue.

Two judges had Tyson leading 57-55 after six rounds while the third had the 32-year-old McBride ahead by the same margin.

eirebhoy
12/06/2005, 11:21 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3683006_7_3.jpg

De Town
12/06/2005, 11:56 AM
That picture is deadly with the Irish flag and all :)

Poor Student
12/06/2005, 12:10 PM
That's truly embarrassing. I really hope Tyson goes away.

Eirambler
12/06/2005, 2:34 PM
I predict a Tyson win by kayo in the fourth. If McBride is still standing then it would be a good time for an ante-post bet on the Irishman.

Good call :)

Fair balls to the guy. I'd never heard of him before this fight was announced. Wants to fight Klitchco(sp?) now.

Maz
12/06/2005, 4:05 PM
It wasnt a great fight, Laila Ali in the womens fight before hand had more fight in her than Tyson last night, But fair play to McBride, nice to see an Irish man put an end to Tyson!

Stevo Da Gull
12/06/2005, 10:33 PM

I'm not really that into boxing but fair play to him
:) :cool:

onenilgameover
13/06/2005, 3:55 AM
It wasnt a great fight, Laila Ali in the womens fight before hand had more fight in her than Tyson last night, But fair play to McBride, nice to see an Irish man put an end to Tyson!

Totally agree..........Good riddens to bad rubbish.....that bull**** about not disgracing the sport like he hadn't already..nice one Mc Bride...

Aberdonian Stu
13/06/2005, 10:36 AM
I think Tyson put it best saying that if he couldn't beat McBride then he couldn't beat Junior Jones (who fought at Super-bantam and feather like McCullough).

A world title shot isn't guaranteed, but if Don King still has a functioning brain he'll remember the equation: White Heavyweight + Irish Accent + Title shot = Big pay day on the East coast. So I wouldn't be shocked if Ruiz or Byrd offer McBride a shot.

It was a nice touch the way he got the Irish title belt in shot for the press conference.

pete
13/06/2005, 11:18 AM
A world title shot isn't guaranteed, but if Don King still has a functioning brain he'll remember the equation: White Heavyweight + Irish Accent + Title shot = Big pay day on the East coast. So I wouldn't be shocked if Ruiz or Byrd offer McBride a shot.

Shows what a joke boxing is when boxer outside world top 50 in with a shot at world title bout. Boxing isn't even a sport.

lopez
13/06/2005, 4:12 PM
Anybody read Colin Bateman's 'Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men'? Wasn't the fighter that fought Tyson called 'Bobby 'Fat Boy' McMaster?' Are they by any chance related?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1559703768/dealtime-da/ref%3Dnosim/102-0062444-3874516

Aberdonian Stu
14/06/2005, 8:58 AM
Well actually McBride has been as high a 27th in the world and this victory will send him rocketing up the rankings.

Dodge
14/06/2005, 9:44 AM
boxrec.com have him at 50 now but heavyweight boxing is a joke but there are still great champions out there and light welter is ridiculously competetive

Aberdonian Stu
14/06/2005, 10:13 AM
Well these things go through phases. In the seventies the lower weights weren't as interesting, even middleweight where Monzon one of the all time greats fought was starved of competition.

There was a similar problem in the eighties at Heavyweight prior to Tyson but after he came along so did a few other very good fighters like Holyfield, Lewis, and Bowe.

At present the big guys are starved of quality. At least Vitali Klitschko is looking capable of bringing some sort of order to the division, even if he's not in the same class as those mentioned above. I remember when his brother was considered better than him I thought the boxing world had gone mad, thankfully Dr Klitschko has fixed that up.

Of the other champs Byrd is the best, and that doesn't say much as I think he's not up to it. Then you have an still unknown quantity in Brewster, you can't tell too much from his wins over Klitschko jr and Golota, and finally that chump of an overblown cruiser that is John Ruiz.

Of those coming up Dominic Guinn was a good prospect until Monte Barrett (who was well beaten in a kayo a few years back by one of the Klitschkos) made him look ordinary beating Guinn on points.

Obviously the range from feather to welter and even light middle is looking tasty. Middleweight looks like it could replicate the seventies, one great fighter (Hopkins), a couple of good contenders who just aren't up to taking the champ (Eastman/Sturm) and then a bunch of also rans. I know Winky Wright is the number one contender but I'd see him as more of a light-middleweight.

Dodge
14/06/2005, 12:46 PM
Winky Wright went up hugely in my mind after destroying Felix Trinidad. I know he was only come back from retirement but he was given a lesson.

Aberdonian Stu
14/06/2005, 1:21 PM
I've always rated Wright but since that was his first fight at 160lbs he's a recent addition to middleweight and I don't reckon he'll stick around if Hopkins beats him as he has the class to rule light middle for some time yet.

Aberdonian Stu
20/06/2005, 9:00 AM
The fight is being shown on Setanta at 9.20pm tonight

Snoop Drog
24/06/2005, 11:29 AM
Anybody read Colin Bateman's 'Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men'? Wasn't the fighter that fought Tyson called 'Bobby 'Fat Boy' McMaster?' Are they by any chance related?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1559703768/dealtime-da/ref%3Dnosim/102-0062444-3874516

bateman is a funny *******!!!

Kingdom
24/06/2005, 12:12 PM
. Middleweight looks like it could replicate the seventies, one great fighter (Hopkins), a couple of good contenders who just aren't up to taking the champ (Eastman/Sturm) and then a bunch of also rans. I know Winky Wright is the number one contender but I'd see him as more of a light-middleweight.

Are any of those the mad looking black londoner with the half bald half bleached head? I thought he was impressive but I don't have Sky Sports so haven't been able to follow to a great extent,

Aberdonian Stu
24/06/2005, 5:34 PM
That would be Howard Eastman. He's the European champion. Wasn't impressive against Hopkins from what I read but that isn't saying much as few people look competent against Hopkins never mind impressive. Of the natural middleweights he and Sturm are the best after Hopkins, Sturm's display against De La Hoya would imply that he's the superior fighter though.