PDA

View Full Version : Dunne for Celtic Rumour

Stuttgart88
09/06/2005, 1:15 PM
According to 11-a-side anyway, for what that's worth!

Robbie
Dunne
O'Brien
Paddy Kenny
Delap (who did a very effective job protecting Strachan's midfield 2 years ago)

all rumoured for CP in various souces.

It'd be the type of place where O'Shea could prosper too.

McGeady already there, plus some promising Irish kids.

In pretty much every case a move would be beneficial for both player & club(and anything that's good for the player is good for us).

Aggregate cost £11-12mm? I'm sure there'll be one or two sales as well.

It won't happen but I'd love to see half our team playing for the one club, and not a bad one at that.

Plastic Paddy
09/06/2005, 1:17 PM
It just sounds like link-an-Irishman-to-Celtic slow news day to me, even though I'd love to see some of thoser mentioned play in the Hoops.

:ball: PP

Stuttgart88
09/06/2005, 1:33 PM
Yeah, it's probably just wild speculation but there a few reasons why most of them make sense:

Kenny - very good, better than what Celtic have. Won't be particularly expensive. Niemi is strongly rumoured to be going to Celtic though, despite a brief spell at Rangers (for whom he let in 5 at CP so if ever an ex-Rangers player will ever be popular at Celtic...)
O'Brien - needs a move & would only be about £2m.
Dunne - almost a direct replacement for Balde. Beneficial for Celtic, maybe not what Dunne needs though? But a Dunne / O'Brien club partnership would be great for us.
Delap - will be cheap, Strachan likes him and is a useful squad addition
Robbie - well we've had this debate before but there is definitely speculation. Robbie & Strachan have worked well together in the past.

O'Shea was just me thinking out loud

mjpcc
09/06/2005, 1:39 PM
Why on earth would Richard Dunne move from the a team in the EPL where he is revered to the SPL. It would be a terrible move for him.

He is improving all the time at the moment and should continue to play at the highest level week in week out.

tiktok
09/06/2005, 1:44 PM
The only one who wouldn't benefit IMO is Dunne.
Although I'd sooner Robbie stayed in the Premiership to get a regular game.

Plastic Paddy
09/06/2005, 1:48 PM
Why on earth would Richard Dunne move from the a team in the EPL where he is revered to the SPL. It would be a terrible move for him.

He is improving all the time at the moment and should continue to play at the highest level week in week out.

But he'd have ten and maybe more games in the Champions League (assuming Celtic qualify) which, thanks to Robbie Fowler's shocking penalty-taking, is precisely ten (and maybe more) games than he'll get in Europe at all. It's not a simple good league-bad league equation as you make out.

I really can't see the Honey Monster leaving Eastside, but as I've said above not for the reason you suggest. He's on a good thing with a young manager who really wants him to succeed, the fans love him and he seems loyal enough to want to repay their faith. Celtic's loss as far as I'm concerned, but wholly understandable on his part. Even if it's all just idle speculation... :D

Stuttgart88
09/06/2005, 1:52 PM

I agree, but of the above I think he's about the only one for whom a move wouldn't be an improvement on current circumstances.

Robbie's position at Spurs is unsatisfactory, but that's acdifferent debate which I don't want to start all over again!

mjpcc
09/06/2005, 1:58 PM
But he'd have ten and maybe more games in the Champions League (assuming Celtic qualify) which, thanks to Robbie Fowler's shocking penalty-taking, is precisely ten (and maybe more) games than he'll get in Europe at all. It's not a simple good league-bad league equation as you make out.

I really can't see the Honey Monster leaving Eastside, but as I've said above not for the reason you suggest. He's on a good thing with a young manager who really wants him to succeed, the fans love him and he seems loyal enough to want to repay their faith. Celtic's loss as far as I'm concerned, but wholly understandable on his part. Even if it's all just idle speculation... :D

That's why I said week in and week out. The EPL is a better league that the SPL - (do you not agree?) and the way Dunne is improving he will get to play in Europe soon, if not with MC then another club in the EPL.

It has to be a very good year for Celtic to get 10 + CL games so although he would be guaranteed some European games every year he would be playing most of his games each season at a lower level. I believe he will do much better staying south of the border - at least for now :D

eirebhoy
09/06/2005, 2:17 PM
It has to be a very good year for Celtic to get 10 + CL games so although he would be guaranteed some European games every year he would be playing most of his games each season at a lower level. I believe he will do much better staying south of the border - at least for now :D
I'm a Celtic fan but Dunne would probably be better off staying in the prem. I've no problem with attackers in the SPL but defenders need to be playing at the top level. Anyway, Celtic average about 12-14 European games a year, 5 Old Firm games, 1 or 2 cup finals, a load of tough/close games against the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs.

tetsujin1979
09/06/2005, 3:35 PM
I've heard nothing about this , except for the above story, so I'm with PP on this one, Lazy journos, GTF

eirebhoy
09/06/2005, 3:49 PM
I've heard nothing about this , except for the above story, so I'm with PP on this one, Lazy journos, GTF
Its in the Star. :rolleyes:

carnstien
10/06/2005, 8:26 AM
I think Celtic would be a good move for Robbie, bagging 40 goals a season won't do him any harm and didn't do Larssons international prospects any harm did it?

For Dunne or O'Brien it would be an aweful move, playing against crap opposition week in week out and spending most of the time standing there watching goals fly in at the other end is not what a centre back needs. They need to be tested and thats why they should both stay in England.

jimbob117
10/06/2005, 11:55 PM
True, but would have thought his wages a problem. He's on the same as Bellamy. Think Spurs are crazy to leave him go and keep Kanoute and Mido.

Think Mido is gone back to italy and as far as i know, kanoute is in trouble after pulling out of a post season tour.

Closed Account 2
11/06/2005, 9:00 AM
Spurs are listening to offers for Kanouté, WBA made one a couple of days ago which was considered and then rejected as being too low a fee. Think Andy O'B. is in negotiations with Portsmouth (was on soccernet the other day). I'd like to see Morrison move to get more 1st team football. Cor. dello Sport had a small piece about Roma looking to sign Robbie Keane a few weeks ago, but that paper tends to be full of rumours and not too many hard facts when it comes to transfers.

eirebhoy
11/06/2005, 10:54 AM
Think Mido is gone back to italy and as far as i know
Did Spurs send him back already?

dr_peepee
11/06/2005, 11:00 AM
Don't think so. He signed for 18 months if I remember right

jimbob117
12/06/2005, 2:11 PM
Did Spurs send him back already?

wasnt 100% but he could br going back to egypt for regular 1st team football
http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6783

CollegeTillIDie
12/06/2005, 2:19 PM
O'Shea was just me thinking out loud

If you want your team to be playing in the Scottish First Division in 2006/2007 by all means sign him :eek:

Stuttgart88
13/06/2005, 8:19 AM
Where did I say it was "my team"?

It is, as it happens, but on the scale of things I follow Ireland over Celtic & Arsenal by an almost unquantifiable factor.

I just think it's the type of place where he could prosper.