PDA

View Full Version : Best Fans in the World?

fergalr
09/06/2005, 12:36 PM
This thoughtless cliche got mentioned on another thread recently. Personally, I reckon we'd be miles down the rankings as I can think of many other nations who have more passionate, knowledgeable and faithful footie fans.

Nomination #1 Iran:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-5062323,00.html

Conor H
09/06/2005, 12:45 PM
I thought we won an award in korea for best fans throughout the competition

...In fairness we travel in numbers anddon't have a bad reputation ie the english.

Beavis
09/06/2005, 1:14 PM
Nomination #1 Iran:

Fans who ran riot across the stadium, lit fires and threw torches onto the pitch when losing to us. :rolleyes:

Its certainly true that Ireland fans devote more time and money on following the international team, per head of population than any other nation. 35,000 at an away international qualifier must be some sort of record. And all this with little or no trouble. I'm proud to be an Ireland fan, despite the antics of an idiotic few last Saturday.

stojkovic
09/06/2005, 1:27 PM
Its certainly true that Ireland fans devote more time and money on following the international team, per head of population than any other nation. 35,000 at an away international qualifier must be some sort of record. And all this with little or no trouble. I'm proud to be an Ireland fan, despite the antics of an idiotic few last Saturday.
Because we don't have a professional league to follow, sorry we do The Premiership :)

liam88
09/06/2005, 1:33 PM
A Reuters reporter saw some Islamic vigilantes use batons to beat youngsters in eastern Tehran after a few chanted slogans against the country's ruling clerics.

and thats on a good night... :confused:

To be honest I wouldn't be so quick to slag our fans. Like Beavis; I'm proud to be Irish! Yeah we won the award for best fans int he last world cup! As far as I'm aware (and i'm open to correction on this) Irish fans have never been responsible for a riot, forced a match to be abandoned or been responsible for the death or serious injury of any fan. Sadly the number of countries who can claim this is not as high as it should be. I'm not claiming we're the only ones by any means though! But we do have an excellent fan record.

Dawn_Run
09/06/2005, 1:38 PM
From a travelling fans perspective the only ones that would come close would be the Dutch. Passionate, fun, noisy and good mixers.

liam88
09/06/2005, 1:44 PM
From a travelling fans perspective the only ones that would come close would be the Dutch. Passionate, fun, noisy and good mixers.
Yeah from what I heard from my uncle who's followed Ireland all around the world the Irish and Dutch fans always get on realyl well! guessing a few of you can second this!

NeilMcD
09/06/2005, 1:47 PM
Lads the Tartan Army is up there too along with us and the Dutch. They take huge numbers to games and have a great record and won best fans at the 1998 World Cup.

dr_peepee
09/06/2005, 1:51 PM
What Idiotic few last Saturday??

tiktok
09/06/2005, 1:55 PM
What Idiotic few last Saturday??

It's covered here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=26049)

I think we're well up there with the best fans in the world when it comes to (importantly hassle-free) numbers, colour and noise. The numbers we've taken to tournaments and France recently have been amazing. I think we've given a good representation of ourselves in most places we've visited.

On the negtive side, There may be an element of the event-junkie about us though, our domestic league is terribly supported :(

Stuttgart88
09/06/2005, 2:00 PM
The Swedes, Danes etc are pretty good too.

Are the best international fans those for whom there isn't a huge domestic league which is the be all & end all for them?

The Dutch travelling support is very different from the Ajax / Feyenoord core support.

All things considered I'd say we're up there with the best of them but to say we're the absolute best is silly. Our fans tick nearly all the right boxes though - numbers, colour, fairness, behaviour etc. The quality of the home support has diminished in the last decade IMHO.

dr_peepee
09/06/2005, 2:06 PM
Yeah!! Too many blow ins & Chavs.....

Armando
09/06/2005, 2:09 PM
Following Ireland on the road is one of the greatest experiences any fan can go through. It is in complete contrast to going to home games, where the atmosphere has become a joke. I was amazed at fellow fans commenting at how good the atmosphere was against Israel. If thats the best we can do I will be very depressed. It may be nostalgia, but I remember going to a friendly against Bolivia I think pre USA 94 and it is the last cracking atmosphere I can recall. If it's going to take a do or die game every 3-4 years like the one against Holland to get fans off their seats singing and shouting, well then that's not good enough.

OwlsFan
09/06/2005, 2:16 PM
This "best fans in the world" stuff irritates me. It's all self-congratulatory stuff and wins no points on the field - it's meaningless to everyone else in the world. It's great that we travel in larger numbers than anyone else and behave (but I suspect that a lot of the latter has to do with the fact that the English don't so we want to show we're different from them).

But sometimes it's taken too far. We sing "Always look on the bright side of life" after another disaster on a foreign field just to show what jolly good sports we are instead of sitting down and weeping. At the play-off game away to Belgium, where the latter fans were brutal, I saw dip sticks around me applauding them after we lost just to show that we were the lovable Irish losers again - the game guys had barely raised their voices for the Irish team during the game.

I love following Ireland away and the good support from most of the supporters - but they're are a fair number that are indifferent to the result and are there for the apres match. I couldn't care less whether we're the "best supporters" in the world so long as we come out with hoarse voices after the match and behave.

mjpcc
09/06/2005, 2:18 PM
The Swedes, Danes etc are pretty good too.

Are the best international fans those for whom there isn't a huge domestic league which is the be all & end all for them?

The Dutch travelling support is very different from the Ajax / Feyenoord core support.

All things considered I'd say we're up there with the best of them but to say we're the absolute best is silly. Our fans tick nearly all the right boxes though - numbers, colour, fairness, behaviour etc. The quality of the home support has diminished in the last decade IMHO.

Totally agree. Our fans are fantastic away, especially the core who go to places like the FAroes, Iran etc. I believe the quality of the home support is a reflection of the rise of the yob culture in general in Irleand.
You get very bad - mostly drink related behaviour - every weekend in Irish towns and cities and it's no surprise that it's happenng more frequently at home games.

If Ireland qualify for the WC there will be gigantic numbers travelling. Is anyone worried that we might have a significient yob element which are capable of causing trouble? There were 35,000+ in Paris and I did not see any trouble myself but there were reports of bad behaviour.

Macy
09/06/2005, 2:20 PM
On the negtive side, There may be an element of the event-junkie about us though, our domestic league is terribly supported :(
Maybe? Look across every sport on the Ireland for examples. A nation of glory hunters.

gimbly
09/06/2005, 2:20 PM
i completely agree mate,its just not good enough to be called the best travelling support and then to shame ourselves at home.I wonder how the players feel,its a completely different atmosphere at away games.Maybe being away makes us feel that bit more patriotic and brings out the real support in us that we should be giving at each and every home game.I dont know about anyone else but i feel the exact same when at a home or away game, i just hope to god it does improve and we re-capture what we were so amazin at from say 1990-1998....i cant vouch for the fans before that time...

Maybe we're too cocky at home and as humble as we should be when we're away

dan :cool:

Stuttgart88
09/06/2005, 2:24 PM
I thought the Israel home game had a very good atmosphere.

Except for the stupid "Easy, Easy..." chants. What the **** was going on there? Was George Hamilton the cheerleader? :mad:

stojkovic
09/06/2005, 2:26 PM
I thought the Israel home game had a very good atmosphere.

Except for the stupid "Easy, Easy..." chants. What the **** was going on there? Was George Hamilton the cheerleader? :mad:
The one I hate is - we are 1-0 up after ten minutes or so and gobsh1tes start singing "you'll never beat the Irish".

Stuttgart88
09/06/2005, 2:31 PM
The one I hate is - we are 1-0 up after ten minutes or so and gobsh1tes start singing "you'll never beat the Irish".
"You'll never beat the Irish" is only appropriate if we've got out of jail through some kind of comeback in my opinion.

I think it started in Cagliari when we were trying to wind up the English about concedeing a late equaliser, and having beaten them 2 years earlier.

stojkovic
09/06/2005, 2:42 PM
"You'll never beat the Irish" is only appropriate if we've got out of jail through some kind of comeback in my opinion.

I think it started in Cagliari when we were trying to wind up the English about concedeing a late equaliser, and having beaten them 2 years earlier.
I remember Wembley in 91, they were banging on the windows of the BBC commentary box screaming you'll never beat the irish. Des Lynam smirked uncontrollably. Twas funny then alright. But was after the game had finished. There were some skirmishes in London town that night, the underground closed down and everything. Twas scary had to get a taxi home.

Slash/ED
09/06/2005, 5:08 PM
When there's a bandwagon to be jumped on, nobody jumps on it quite like us. 35,000 in Paris, massive numbers to major tournaments, all of that. Great support.

Every other time though, and the support is pathetic. 35,000 in Paris, all the money it cost them to get there, 18,000 bother going to Dublin to watch us play Canada. Pre 1988 we play Brazil in a friendly, nobody there. Post 1988 we play them in a friendly and you couldn't find a ticket for love nor money. The atmosphere in lansdowne for all but the top matches is absolutley dead.

Our own domestic league is pathetically neglected by these so called best supporters in the world, and it's the same in every other sport. How many hardcore Dublin gaa fans know their way to Parnell park? Even in our domestic league, Longford brought thousands to Lansdowne for the FAI cup final, espically the first one, look at their average league gate. Shels 24,000 for the Depor game, could easily have doubled it if you could fit more in, 7,400 at the Lille game a few weeks later, and even less at the remaining league games.

So best supporters in the world? You're having a laugh, but on a big occasion there's nobody better.

NeilMcD
09/06/2005, 5:13 PM
I think that is the human condition. You will always get those that are dedicated. You will get more that are not so deicated. Basically it is like a curve. You have the 5 to 10% that will go rain or shine, you will then have another 20% that make the best efforts to go most of the time. You then have a huge majority that have an interest but may not go if times are touch etc. This woudl make up about 30%. Then you have the rest of the people who only go for the big games and for a bit of craic. I would say this curve would work for most countries and most sports.

NeilMcD
09/06/2005, 5:15 PM
Try living around these parts. Munster used to get two men and a dog at their interprovincial rugby games 10 years ago. Now everyone has the red jersey, talks non stop about Thomond Park's unque atmosphere, loves Dricko and Gerv the Swerve, thinks Neil back is the Antichrist blah blah blah blah blah.

People give out when nobody goes to games and the more people give out when people do go to games. Not everybody will be an informed ratinoal supporter. Football fans are made up of the best and worst of society. Gob****s, fools, cocky, selfish ignorant and irratinoal people all go to games. There is always going to be somebody at a game that annoys you if you let them. People enjoy success there is athe select brand that will be there through good times and bad and fair play to them but not all of society is like that esp. for all sports.

Slash/ED
09/06/2005, 5:27 PM
I think that is the human condition. You will always get those that are dedicated. You will get more that are not so deicated. Basically it is like a curve. You have the 5 to 10% that will go rain or shine, you will then have another 20% that make the best efforts to go most of the time. You then have a huge majority that have an interest but may not go if times are touch etc. This woudl make up about 30%. Then you have the rest of the people who only go for the big games and for a bit of craic. I would say this curve would work for most countries and most sports.

The curve for Ireland is weighted far more to the latter people you mention than in pretty much any other country though.

NeilMcD
09/06/2005, 5:32 PM
I would probably agree in that when France won the world cup lots of French people did not even watch it or enjoy it as they said "why should I , I dont lke football". If Ireland won the world cup, Grannies would be crying despite the fact that the probably never heard f Damien Duff the week before". What we do have in this country is we have lots of people that enjoy the fun of a major tournament for the craic, and dont care about the football really. However I do think we have as many people interested in sport as any other country per head of population. Other countries people tend to support their sport 1st, country second, whereas we get a lot of cross support from differents sports. i.e. I was in LR on sat and Croke Park on Sunday. This does not happen in other European Countries to the same extent in my view.

Beavis
09/06/2005, 5:37 PM
3-4,000 in Israel, thats was no glamour fixture esp. given the security fears around Purim. The Swiss brought 33 (!!) but had 10,000 in Paris ! (Event junkies?)

GalwayFrancis
09/06/2005, 6:34 PM
This thoughtless cliche got mentioned on another thread recently. Personally, I reckon we'd be miles down the rankings as I can think of many other nations who have more passionate, knowledgeable and faithful footie fans.

Nomination #1 Iran:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-5062323,00.html

Iran football fans clash with police::
yea they're the world's number one fans!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1612894.stm

FarBeag
09/06/2005, 11:28 PM
Our Fan's are excellent and always have been.I have travelled away with the Irish supporters now for 15 years and during this time i have seen nothing but excellent behaviour win or lose.Common ,the security forces throughout the world have learned to relax when we come to their cities and their goverment love us ,as they have to pay them less because we give them nothing to do.Why should a few idiots at the Israel match spoil the good relationship we have build up throughout the years.Please do not tarnish everyone with the same brush as other countries will not change their respect for us even if there is a few morons out there.

OwlsFan
10/06/2005, 9:37 AM

It comes from a skit on the Football AM show on SKy and most Premiership fans ape it so some Irish fans do as well.

In every club or country the away support is always better than the home because it takes commitment to go away. Remember Roy Keane attacking the prawn sandwich brigade at home but praising the away support. There will be fantastic support at home though for the last two games -that I guarantee. The Israel one wasn't bad but there were still too many people in civvies for my liking and not even wearing a scarf.

Stuttgart88
10/06/2005, 9:48 AM
the security forces throughout the world have learned to relax when we come to their cities

There was an extraordinary incident in Orlando in '94 when literally hundreds of police (all armed I think) decided to make their presence felt at closing time in a bar well the way down I-Drive.

You had to see it to believe it. I lost count of the number of police cars lined up. 20, maybe even 30. More even. There was probably one cop for every drinker. Thre was a rumour going around that U2 were to play an impromptu gig and the cops got anxious I think.

Was anyone else there?

fergalr
10/06/2005, 12:24 PM
Iran football fans clash with police::
yea they're the world's number one fans!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1612894.stm
Wonder if you read the story behind the link you posted? What should "The Best Fans in the World" do when they suspect that their national team has deliberately thrown a game?

liam88
10/06/2005, 1:32 PM

FFS! People go to a game and sing and you call your fellow fans "gobsh1tes" for what they are singing! I'd understand if the were singing something offensive but just because you don't think the song fits the score you sware about them-that's a bit out if you ask me!

Obv can't get over for matches at the moment (all changing soon though) but get up enough of an atmosphere in Guildford :D :D After one match my brother dancing on the roof with a tri, we just have the craic, singing in the streets, congas in the garden p*sses the neighbours off if it's an evening kick-off but sure they love it really!

strangeirish
10/06/2005, 1:53 PM
There was an extraordinary incident in Orlando in '94 when literally hundreds of police (all armed I think) decided to make their presence felt at closing time in a bar well the way down I-Drive.

You had to see it to believe it. I lost count of the number of police cars lined up. 20, maybe even 30. More even. There was probably one cop for every drinker. Thre was a rumour going around that U2 were to play an impromptu gig and the cops got anxious I think.

Was anyone else there?

I was in a Hotel/Bar across from wet n wild theme park. There was a load of us in there with a bunch of Dutch fans drinking the place dry. We heard about some police activity down the street. We were told by the barman the next day that the local police thought that the Irish were noted for rioting!!!!!!! Turns out that two lads in Irish jerseys were arrested for trying to incite a riot. Turns out they were noted hooligans from Ingurland, or so we were told anyway. Did not hear about the U2 thing.

anto eile
10/06/2005, 3:37 PM
It's covered here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=26049)

I think we're well up there with the best fans in the world when it comes to (importantly hassle-free) numbers, colour and noise. The numbers we've taken to tournaments and France recently have been amazing. I think we've given a good representation of ourselves in most places we've visited.

On the negative side, There may be an element of the event-junkie about us though, our domestic league is terribly supported :(

the event-junkie syndrome is what the whole olé olé ireland experience is about. if you support your country but neglect your local EL club youre not a football fan.
as for israel . i disagree with your letter.all israelis should be made feel unwelcome anywhere they go for supporting what their country are doing to the palestinians. remember most israelis are russian and american settlers with no historical link to palestine.

ireland fans:the greatest bunch of bandwagon daytrippers on the planet.

Beavis
10/06/2005, 5:25 PM
the event-junkie syndrome is what the whole olé olé ireland experience is about. if you support your country but neglect your local EL club youre not a football fan.

ireland fans:the greatest bunch of bandwagon daytrippers on the planet.
Yawn more extreme eL-elitism. Like a fookin stuck record, we've heard it all before.

Slash/ED
10/06/2005, 10:23 PM
Yawn more extreme eL-elitism. Like a fookin stuck record, we've heard it all before.

It can said as many times as you want, it doesn't change the fact there is a hell of a lot of truth to it.

Cosmo
11/06/2005, 9:55 AM
True true slash but sure don't say it too loud - you'll probably offend 90% of people that go to see ireland play :eek:

Beavis
11/06/2005, 11:37 AM
True true slash but sure don't say it too loud - you'll probably offend 90% of people that go to see ireland play :eek:
Dont think so mate. I remember in Swiss this year there was a huge amount of eL jerseys, at a guess it must have been over half the people were eL fans(from talking to people and seeing jerseys and scarves). Always a greater proportion on away trips than home.
Hate people trying to undermine supporters dedictation to the national team, when it requires money,time off work, breaking family commitments etc. I go to league games every Friday (honest I do ! :rolleyes: ) but I dont try to ram it down the throats of my mates or shame them into attending games. Surely yous can come up with more positive marketing technique....

Cosmo
11/06/2005, 6:23 PM
'I remember in Swiss this year there was a huge amount of eL jerseys, at a guess it must have been over half the people were eL fans'

Yeah that was great alright - big EL crowd at that but I'm referring to home matches - not having a pop (well not really), was just stating that he was probably offending 90% of people that go to see ireland play at home

ccfcgirl
11/06/2005, 7:13 PM
I was in Korea for the Irish /Spanish game .And after the game Irish fans gave the Korean children .Jerseys ,scarfs ,bohrans,flags etc.A lovily touch i thought .

Docboy
11/06/2005, 7:19 PM
:p :p :p :p [QUOTE=anto eile]the event-junkie syndrome is what the whole olé olé ireland experience is about. if you support your country but neglect your local EL club youre not a football fan.

That's pretty funny stuff you're spouting there bud, as long as you say so!!!

TonyD
11/06/2005, 10:33 PM
Because we don't have a professional league to follow, sorry we do The Premiership :)

Oh Sweet jumping Jesus on the cross, are you for real ? :confused:

lopez
12/06/2005, 1:42 PM
Describing what makes a great support is a difficult question. I've mostly been proud of a core of our support but I dislike the p*ss-takers. The ones that talk rugger or golf, the ones that fly in on the day every trip (no one has that little holiday), the ones to whom the most important aspect of the game is telling 'da goys on munday in the office' about the whole experience, the ones that turn up in English club shirts, the ones that f*cking ask why I'm not at f*cking Wembley?

Thanks to the weather (and apologies to 'the core' who missed out on last Wednesday) there were few of these f*ckwits around even though the RTE bloke outside Cafe Natur was keen to emphasise how poor the support was for this game - it was the first game in probably over 16 years that not one person asked why I - with the Sasanach accent - was following Ireland?

Quantity doesn't mean quality and there was far better vocal support on Wednesday than at better supported games, even if the 'Where the f*ck is Davy Keogh?' and 'Is it warm in Dublin Airport?' were uncalled for.

jjppc
12/06/2005, 1:58 PM
- it was the first game in probably over 16 years that not one person asked why I - with the Sasanach accent - was following Ireland?

What used to happen over 16 years ago, and why would anyone be bothered now?

lopez
12/06/2005, 2:40 PM
What used to happen over 16 years ago, and why would anyone be bothered now?I didn't get asked stupid questions. :rolleyes:

jjppc
12/06/2005, 4:35 PM
I didn't get asked stupid questions. :rolleyes:
oh I thought maybe you just kept your mouth shut :)

lopez
12/06/2005, 5:10 PM
oh I thought maybe you just kept your mouth shut :)Touché. :D