PDA

View Full Version : Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

tommy_c12000
17/10/2020, 11:50 PM
His long awaited 16th birthday is on Monday. Last year he was confirmed to Brighton, however, Brexit cast doubt on this as non-UK players could not join clubs at 16 unless genuine relocation of family. However, FIFA have extended the grace period through December 31, 2020. Therefore, I assume Ferguson is still joining Brighton on Monday?

There has been no updated articles on this since last year. A Brighton under 18 partnership of Ferguson and Moran is a mouth-watering prospect... hopefully we will see Ferguson progress quickly

Olé Olé
18/10/2020, 7:36 AM
Rovers seem to be picking up the mantle for blooding young kids at senior level. They gave 14 year old Sam Curtis his start for the second side yesterday, breaking the record set by 15 year old Kevin Zefi.

nigel-harps1954
18/10/2020, 12:53 PM
Rovers seem to be picking up the mantle for blooding young kids at senior level. They gave 14 year old Sam Curtis his start for the second side yesterday, breaking the record set by 15 year old Kevin Zefi.

Evan Ferguson is with Bohs though, not Rovers.

Olé Olé
18/10/2020, 1:07 PM
Evan Ferguson is with Bohs though, not Rovers.

What's your point? I specified Rovers were picking up the mantle, I clearly meant from Bohs.

tommy_c12000
18/10/2020, 1:33 PM
Looks like Moran is more of a midfield playmaker, not a striker. My bad. Either way, a Ferguson / Moran attacking threat is a mouthwatering prospect !

tommy_c12000
24/10/2020, 6:41 PM
On the bench for Bohs seniors today, anyone have insight into his plans?

liamoo11
24/10/2020, 9:14 PM
On the bench for Bohs seniors today, anyone have insight into his plans?

Came on . Be great if bohs signed him on a deal cañt see much point in home going into youth football in England. Stay for 2 seasons of first team football at bohs finish school and go across for a fee into a first team squad. Bohs would be wise to spend some of the Doherty money on a deal for him

nigel-harps1954
25/10/2020, 1:48 AM
Came on and done alright too. Deal is supposedly still there for him to go to Brighton, but who knows really.

tommy_c12000
25/10/2020, 3:36 PM
Yeah there’s something to be said for not getting itchy feet at 16, and play some first team football in Ireland and develop nicely before considering a move across channel at 18. Certainly, it seems like an exciting time for the LOI with the youngsters being blooded in, with the Rovers II team facilitating a lot of it. It would be nice if clubs could be better protected with reimbursement for this development though, particularly if 16 year olds are snapped up

liamoo11
25/10/2020, 3:52 PM
Yeah there’s something to be said for not getting itchy feet at 16, and play some first team football in Ireland and develop nicely before considering a move across channel at 18. Certainly, it seems like an exciting time for the LOI with the youngsters being blooded in, with the Rovers II team facilitating a lot of it. It would be nice if clubs could be better protected with reimbursement for this development though, particularly if 16 year olds are snapped up

Yes agree and bohs seem a well run set up who undoubtedly have a plan here. Pat's have McCormack who is maybe a few months older but has been around there first team and I'd say would be highly involved after Christmas when new season starts as an attacking midfielder. In previous years I'm sure he would already be in a UK academy. Rovers have set the standard but hopefully bohs Pat's and other big clubs can give the really exceptional lads a few years contract and try to give them senior football early to bluntly sell them on for a higher fee at 19 or 20

elatedscum
25/10/2020, 5:00 PM
Rovers, Pats and Bohs all have their own interesting young players. Bohs have brought through the likes of Lyons, Grant, Tierney, Devoy and have done an excellent job of recruiting players returning from England.

Pats have McCormack coming through now, along with the likes of Luke McNally. Young Glory Nzinga (spelling?) is a real prospect too.

Rovers have the likes of Kevin Zefi and a good few others playing for Rovers II.

There’s no real ideal pathway. Take Aaron Bolger. He waited like many suggest Ferguson should. He was playing fairly regularly with Rovers and was a star for the Ireland U19s. Then he moved to Cardiff and never broke from reserves to seniors. He’s now back on loan at Rovers, playing for Rovers II.

Brandon Kavanagh similarly waited. He’s gone from being a guy in or around the Rovers side at 16/17, to being someone playing for Rovers II 2-3 years later.

Bazunu was the other elite scholar they had, who chose to move across at 16. He’s now on loan at Rochdale.

It’s really hard to work out which path will work out best for a young player.

liamoo11
25/10/2020, 6:21 PM
Rovers, Pats and Bohs all have their own interesting young players. Bohs have brought through the likes of Lyons, Grant, Tierney, Devoy and have done an excellent job of recruiting players returning from England.

Pats have McCormack coming through now, along with the likes of Luke McNally. Young Glory Nzinga (spelling?) is a real prospect too.

Rovers have the likes of Kevin Zefi and a good few others playing for Rovers II.

There’s no real ideal pathway. Take Aaron Bolger. He waited like many suggest Ferguson should. He was playing fairly regularly with Rovers and was a star for the Ireland U19s. Then he moved to Cardiff and never broke from reserves to seniors. He’s now back on loan at Rovers, playing for Rovers II.

Brandon Kavanagh similarly waited. He’s gone from being a guy in or around the Rovers side at 16/17, to being someone playing for Rovers II 2-3 years later.

Bazunu was the other elite scholar they had, who chose to move across at 16. He’s now on loan at Rochdale.

It’s really hard to work out which path will work out best for a young player.

It's a great point about bolger and kavanagh both look like quality players and I would have thought bolger would be involved in Cardiff and kavanagh would be in rovers firsts. Rovers also have brennan back from Southampton who looked a real promising 10 in that group at international level with bolger and kavanagh.

tommy_c12000
10/11/2020, 11:13 PM
Started Bohs last league game of the season. Still regarded as “Brighton-bound”

https://www.the42.ie/st-pats-bohs-report-5261635-Nov2020/%3famp=1

tommy_c12000
07/03/2021, 1:00 PM
Anyone interested in watching Evan and Furlong vs Chelsea in PL2, stream is here https://t.co/SRNuqNYxIe

tetsujin1979
07/03/2021, 1:20 PM
George Nunn on the bench for Chelsea's U23s as well, he has come on in their last few games

ifk101
08/03/2021, 8:11 AM
Watched a bit yesterday and hard not to be impressed with Ferguson (as were the Chelsea commentators). Big lad but good feet, and held up the ball well on the occasions Brighton were able to get the ball up to him. Must be on the radar for our U21s.

ColourfulPeanut
08/03/2021, 9:48 AM
I hope they do bring him along for the U21s. He's playing at a high enough level and he's a big lad. We've always been terrible at fast tracking players through the levels. With no u19 games, he should definitely be at the camp at least.

Razors left peg
08/03/2021, 5:43 PM
I hope they do bring him along for the U21s. He's playing at a high enough level and he's a big lad. We've always been terrible at fast tracking players through the levels. With no u19 games, he should definitely be at the camp at least.
Kenny has spoken about that in the past. I think he will be fast tracked

liamoo11
08/03/2021, 6:15 PM
Watched a bit yesterday and hard not to be impressed with Ferguson (as were the Chelsea commentators). Big lad but good feet, and held up the ball well on the occasions Brighton were able to get the ball up to him. Must be on the radar for our U21s.

Looked good technically had a lovely touch and strike that brought a good save from the keeper. Very physically developed . Not blessed with pace .

Razors left peg
08/03/2021, 6:18 PM
Ive never actually watched him play. Is he good because he is more physically developed than others his age and when he steps into mens football he wont stand out as much?

liamoo11
08/03/2021, 7:06 PM
Ive never actually watched him play. Is he good because he is more physically developed than others his age and when he steps into mens football he wont stand out as much?

Technically he looks very good most things stuck that went up to him and he was always looking for the clever link up or layoff. So that will always be a massive skill to have I think at any level of the game. Not having pace maybe has helped him develop those technical skills. A bit more pace is never a burden though

seanfhear
09/03/2021, 6:42 AM
If he does not have Pace then that is very likely to happen.

Eirambler
04/04/2021, 12:27 PM
Brighton under 23s currently leading Liverpool under 23s 2-1. Ferguson with both goals. Still only 16, in fact he doesn't turn 17 for another 6 months.

tommy_c12000
05/04/2021, 3:30 AM
Evan’s goals here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-y3xpI2FAM

You can also appreciate the gulf in standard between senior first team football and under 23’s. One season is more than adequate at this level. Then it’s time to move on

sadloserkid
05/04/2021, 9:52 AM
He's literally a child. A second year at U23 level absolutely wouldn't be the ruination of him.

seanfhear
05/04/2021, 10:03 AM
I hope he doesn’t get too much bigger. How many giants to you see playing top level football ? Don’t we have a young centre back that is probably big enough already as well = = Not a problem we usually have. We usually have fellas that are a bit small.

pineapple stu
05/04/2021, 10:08 AM
Evan’s goals here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-y3xpI2FAM

You can also appreciate the gulf in standard between senior first team football and under 23’s. One season is more than adequate at this level. Then it’s time to move on
If the gulf in standard is huge (which I think it is), then a 16-year-old is hardly likely to be able to bridge it in one year in fairness.

elatedscum
05/04/2021, 10:53 AM
I hope he doesn’t get too much bigger. How many giants to you see playing top level football ? Don’t we have a young centre back that is probably big enough already as well = = Not a problem we usually have. We usually have fellas that are a bit small.

Hard to tell how tall he is but

Haaland 6’4
Zlatan 6’5
Kane 6’2
Lewandowski 6’1
C Ronaldo 6’2

You could probably argue the ideal height for a number 9 is above 6 foot.

seanfhear
05/04/2021, 11:05 AM
Hard to tell how tall he is but

Haaland 6’4
Zlatan 6’5
Kane 6’2
Lewandowski 6’1
C Ronaldo 6’2

You could probably argue the ideal height for a number 9 is above 6 foot.
But how many Big Crouchy’s make it = = He was the exception. Giants generally don’t make it in professional football. The two lads I referenced are already very big but this may be in comparison to the players they are playing with at the moment. I just don’t want them to get too big or else we may end up with two rugby second rows.

DeLorean
05/04/2021, 11:37 AM
We made pretty good use of Quinn and Cascarino.

tommy_c12000
05/04/2021, 12:31 PM
He's literally a child. A second year at U23 level absolutely wouldn't be the ruination of him.

By one season, I mean one full season and was referring to U23s in general. Evan’s obviously just dipping his toes this season and has only started 6 games.

pineapple stu
05/04/2021, 12:35 PM
If the standard gap is as big as you suggest, it's still unreasonable to expect him to be in and out of that level in one full season

tommy_c12000
05/04/2021, 1:05 PM
If the standard gap is as big as you suggest, it's still unreasonable to expect him to be in and out of that level in one full season

After one full season when he will be turning 18 in October 2022, if he hasn’t outgrown his development from under 23s by then, I’d be concerned. Time for him to dip his toes in senior football then

pineapple stu
05/04/2021, 1:43 PM
I mean, you keep saying that while ignoring that point that most players don't make the jump in one year - let alone 16-year-olds - precisely because the gap is so large.

If he's still playing U23s next year, then good. It means he's still progressing nicely.

sadloserkid
05/04/2021, 2:03 PM
Miroslav Klose was 20 before he made his debut in the German 3rd tier. A different time and a different league I'll grant you but I'd find it hard to write off many aspiring pros at 18. Lots of other examples of comparatively late bloomers too.

Likewise playing men's football early on didn't seem to help Freddy Adu much in the long run.

Stuttgart88
05/04/2021, 2:07 PM
Oh come on. Literally the single most exciting young forward on the planet is a really tall, athletic and powerful specimen.

Kenny’s Kids posted a highlights clip of the Liverpool U23 match on twitter. I think he missed 2 sitters too :)

tommy_c12000
05/04/2021, 2:12 PM
I mean, you keep saying that while ignoring that point that most players don't make the jump in one year - let alone 16-year-olds - precisely because the gap is so large.

If he's still playing U23s next year, then good. It means he's still progressing nicely.

Yes if he’s playing U23s next season then good, it’s part of his natural development. That’s what I said. But beyond that (18 full months of under 23 football) its stagnation. Ask Harry Charsley perhaps

pineapple stu
05/04/2021, 2:19 PM
No - he's 16. Playing U23s for two seasons is not stagnation or disastrous.

tommy_c12000
05/04/2021, 2:51 PM
No - he's 16. Playing U23s for two seasons is not stagnation or disastrous.

Then we are on the same page. Wonderful!

pineapple stu
05/04/2021, 3:52 PM
No we're not.

If by Apr 23 - still as an 18-year-old - he is still with the U23s, then he's not stagnating.

Razors left peg
05/04/2021, 3:57 PM
I complained last year that Parrott was stagnating because he was in 1st team squad but played zero games for underage teams so he had no football for months on end. Looking back now I dont know if that has hurt his development or hes just not a good as we hoped, or maybe its a bit of both.

With Ferguson at 16 years old he just needs to play football and lets see where he ends up. A couple of years with the underage teams and maybe some preseason with the 1st team will do him world of good.

Charlie Darwin
06/04/2021, 3:03 AM
He's an early developer - unlikely he will grow much more. His dad was 6'2/6'3 so would expect he'll end up the same.

tetsujin1979
06/09/2021, 2:24 PM
Nominated for PL2 Player of the Month for August

John83
06/09/2021, 2:35 PM
Standing out at U23 level at just 16 is impressive.

Diggs246
06/09/2021, 2:44 PM
yep, some good news in a bad week never hurts!

ColourfulPeanut
06/09/2021, 3:15 PM
It'll be interesting if he starts tomorrow. Winning the penalty aside, I thought Kayode wasn't great against Bosnia and Ferguson's cameo looked very lively.

Kingdom
06/09/2021, 3:48 PM
I'm going down to the game tomorrow, so if people have the stomach for it, I'll try and do a report similar to elatedscum on the 17s.

I hope ferguson starts myself. he reminds me of someone else who has burst onto the international scene and club scene in a meteoric way.

paul_oshea
10/09/2021, 9:12 PM
Furlong

https://twitter.com/wearebrighton/status/1436419339272458241?s=21

liamoo11
10/09/2021, 11:35 PM
Ferguson s goal tonight very impressive, great hold up play to start it off looked like decent pace and very nice finish

Eirambler
11/09/2021, 9:32 AM
Seems to be fourth choice striker at Brighton now, after Maupay, Wellbeck and Connolly, probably in that order.

Would definitely expect him to get more minutes for the senior team in the next round of the cup. Wouldn't be beyond possibility that he might make a Premier League bench before too long, especially as Wellbeck is injury prone. They may wait until after he turns 17 though, he will likely sign a new contract to tie him down at that point.