PDA

View Full Version : England V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 12th November 2020 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Bielsa´s irish
15/10/2020, 10:38 PM
Its being said since the All whites cancelled, the english f.a wants Éire as rivals for that date, plus we are the favorites from the tv money and broadcasters for this derby match, which is good for tv ratings and can get worldwide broadcasting and exposure.. Rumours in England, Ireland, Spain and Italy.

Many newspapers here in Southamerica have published this possible classic match to be played without attendance behind closed doors..

What are your thoughts about it?

Go for the money,and this big football nation....... or go for the uefa points in Sarajevo ? Bosnia or the 3 lions?

Or maybe play a home game against another team, maybe a minnow,,,, if possible, just to get points for pot 2 in uefa draw of qualifiers next December

Trequartista20
16/10/2020, 12:22 AM
Is this a genuine possibility? I wouldn't be keen on the idea at all.

Olé Olé
16/10/2020, 6:09 AM
I'm still too raw from the Grealish and Rice exits, particularly the Rice one as it appears as though there was a strategic plan in place to draw him.

It would be sickening to see either or both play against us in a friendly for me. Maybe I'm biased (I definitely am) but I feel as though both behaved fairly classlessly.

Eminence Grise
16/10/2020, 7:33 AM
Its being said since the All whites cancelled, the english f.a wants Éire as rivals for that date,

What are your thoughts about it?

Éire, is it? All 4,954,266 of us? (Well, 4,954,265 - there's still no way Cillian Sheridan is being called up. It's an outrage, I say!!). Sure we'd never all fit on the one pitch.:rolleyes:

pineapple stu
16/10/2020, 7:42 AM
The use of the word Éire when speaking in English really annoys me.

I think I associate it with ignorant English people not wanting to use the term "Ireland", which hints at one country. So they'll use things like Éire or Southern Ireland to get around that issue.

You wouldn't say England were lining up a friendly against Deutschland or Shqiperia, so why would you say Éire?

Dá mba mhaith leat caint faoin cluiche i nGaeilge, ansin bhéadh "Éire" ceart go leor.

Anyway, do we really need a third game in November? We saw how much trouble three games in October was. I think in the era of covid, there's no point arranging a friendly in a month we already have two matches in.

backstothewall
16/10/2020, 7:45 AM
I'd not be in favour of this at all. It'll be throwing our players, particularly our nothern players, into the middle of a thing about poppies.

pineapple stu
16/10/2020, 7:46 AM
Oh Christ, yeah.

Pass.

Stuttgart88
16/10/2020, 8:23 AM
...or make James McClean captain!

Fixer82
16/10/2020, 8:29 AM
Would still enjoy watching it though. We always up our game against the Sasanach.
Don't think they've beaten us since 1985 or so?

backstothewall
16/10/2020, 9:08 AM
Norway need a game. All things being equal i'd rather play them, either in Dublin or Oslo.

If things had gone according to play we would have been playing Bosnia, while they would have been playing Israel. Geographic proximity during a pandemic would suggest the doing the old switcheroo.

Ireland v Norway
Bosnia v Israel.

Makes sense for everyone. In fact given that how many of both squads are based in Britain why not have a game against them there? Duffy, Ajer and Elyounoussi all play for Celtic, so to me Celtic park seems a perfectly sensible venue under the circumstances.

tetsujin1979
16/10/2020, 9:38 AM
Can't see us getting a result against England at the moment, and we're holding on to that 20th position, and second seed status, by our fingertips as it is. Anything that jeopardises that should be given short shrift.
And the team name is republic of Ireland, or Ireland if it's clear from the context that you're talking about the Republic side.

Fixer82
16/10/2020, 9:45 AM
Can't see us getting a result against England at the moment, and we're holding on to that 20th position, and second seed status, by our fingertips as it is. Anything that jeopardises that should be given short shrift.
And the team name is republic of Ireland, or Ireland if it's clear from the context that you're talking about the Republic side.

Erin FC

Olé Olé
16/10/2020, 9:53 AM
Sports and politics never mix- that can't be the case for the old enemy. In a time when Boris is enjoying a bit of brinkmanship and playing roulette with a large slide of our economy, it would be disappointing to think we would happily play England in a football match...

I think I believe that. Reading it back, I'm not sure if I do.

zero
16/10/2020, 10:07 AM
I think if there's the opportunity to play a 3rd game we should take it, but probably not England. The more game time kenny has the better I feel.

Ideally a game at home to limit covid issues.

BOOMSHAKALAKA
16/10/2020, 10:07 AM
I honestly think this would be a major gamble to play England. Especially with the poorish start to Kenny's reign. If we failed to beat Wales and Bulgaria and then got walloped by England, I feel Kenny would be under serious pressure. On the other hand, if we beat Wales or Bulgaria, get second seeds for the World Cup draw and then batter England, Kenny would already reach legendary status. Do we roll the dice?

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

ColourfulPeanut
16/10/2020, 10:16 AM
I think if there's the opportunity to play a 3rd game we should take it, but probably not England. The more game time kenny has the better I feel.

Ideally a game at home to limit covid issues.
Given that almost all our players are based in the UK, having a game at Wembley would probably be the ideal scenario to to limit Covid issues.

zero
16/10/2020, 10:56 AM
Given that almost all our players are based in the UK, having a game at Wembley would probably be the ideal scenario to to limit Covid issues.

True, I just meant if not England... maybe the lack of fans negates the poppy rubbish somewhat and it might be no harm to see how we fare against a top tier side.

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 1:54 PM
I'm still too raw from the Grealish and Rice exits, particularly the Rice one as it appears as though there was a strategic plan in place to draw him.

It would be sickening to see either or both play against us in a friendly for me. Maybe I'm biased (I definitely am) but I feel as though both behaved fairly classlessly.

of course rice and grealish are scapegoats the english FA dont want to do us any favors, at all.

Of course there was a plan executed by Southgate and all others, their main goal is winning the World Cup.

Of course the kids were born in England, but ireland developed them, invested money for flights etc.

They will get rid of rice and grealish later on.

The same thing when Scholes and Gascoigne, i remembered good old Tony Galvin was mobbed and insulted by players because they said he could be England's #11 and Tony was Ireland's 11

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 2:01 PM
I would love to play Norway at home, but isnt it sensible about the points for pot 2. Igot to say last 3 refs werent helping Ireland's Kenny. Duffy was fouled vs Wales by Henenssey, was a penalty.

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 2:12 PM
i would love Ireland to play home matches at Celtic Park., as an alternative venue

pineapple stu
16/10/2020, 2:43 PM
I mean that makes literally zero sense.

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 2:59 PM
I mean that makes literally zero sense.
Imagine a home match at Parkhead vs Norway, instead at Webley

Razors left peg
16/10/2020, 3:10 PM
Neither would be a home match.

tetsujin1979
16/10/2020, 3:13 PM
The same thing when Scholes and Gascoigne, i remembered good old Tony Galvin was mobbed and insulted by players because they said he could be England's #11 and Tony was Ireland's 11
Scholes and Gascoigne never played underage for Ireland
I'd like to see evidence of Galvin being mobbed and insulated by players

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 3:13 PM
Neither would be a home match.
ok but under covid, it make sense Celtic Park.

pineapple stu
16/10/2020, 3:21 PM
Why? The UK has worse covid rates than here.

Razors left peg
16/10/2020, 3:22 PM
I don't know why I keep biting :rolleyes:

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 3:31 PM
Scholes and Gascoigne never played underage for Ireland
I'd like to see evidence of Galvin being mobbed and insulated by players
Jack Charlton stated about it, Scholes was in doubt, quitted international football at 27/28 y.old
Galvin was insulted by english players he said that plenty of times

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 3:33 PM
ok but under covid, it make sense Celtic Park.

yes but the english fa wants to play at Wembley, of course a venue in the Republic would be better

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 3:36 PM
with the new ceo of FAI confirmed today maybe that change of venue could be arranged. I would love to beat Rice's and Grealish's England in Ireland

Razors left peg
16/10/2020, 3:56 PM
Id agree that its not the right time for this game with the poppy crap that would have to be dealt with. Financially would it be any different from other games since there is no crowds anyway? TV deals are already in place so would the FAI get any extra money for playing England rather than Norway? Although Im not sure I'd want Haaland rocking into town either when we are in desperate need of a win.

If there was ever a time for a low key friendly to just have it as a training match it would be now.

Stuttgart88
16/10/2020, 4:02 PM
Where are Oman when you need them?

youngirish
16/10/2020, 5:06 PM
Where are Oman when you need them?
How about Finland? They were always good for a heavy beating to get the blood flowing.

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 5:13 PM
How about Finland? They were always good for a heavy beating to get the blood flowing.

which teams are available for a game in uefa for this date?

Bosnia
England
Norway
Belarus
Rumania
Israel
Belarus
Kosovo

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 5:31 PM
Greece
Czech Republic
Cyprus
Slovenia
Montenegro

backstothewall
16/10/2020, 6:29 PM
F*ck it. Cyprus away.

After that we'll know one way or another how this whole thing is going to work out.

boovidge
16/10/2020, 7:11 PM
With our current squad I wouldn't mind there being as little international football as possible over the next couple of years to be honest.

boovidge
16/10/2020, 7:16 PM
The use of the word Éire when speaking in English really annoys me.

I think I associate it with ignorant English people not wanting to use the term "Ireland", which hints at one country. So they'll use things like Éire or Southern Ireland to get around that issue.

I think it's often a clumsy attempt at being polite rather than anything anti-Irish

Razors left peg
16/10/2020, 7:42 PM
I think it's often a clumsy attempt at being polite rather than anything anti-Irish

It does grind me when I hear English commentators say it, it always feels condescending for some reason

seanfhear
16/10/2020, 9:31 PM
You are shooting to much from the hip lately. Very scatter gun.

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 10:02 PM

When the euro 88 came in Argentina, I remembered clearly they call it in Germany origin broadcasting as ÈIRE for Argentina and Uruguay.
Our broadcasters translated it as "Irlanda del Sur" o "La República de Irlanda", but the word "Eire". in Spain, Italy and Southamérica, "EIRE" makes a reference to ireland free State a catholic country, and Irlanda del Norte is the irish segment of land under the empire guidance.

And for some ignorants when you say Celtic F.C they think the club is located in Ireland

Bielsa´s irish
16/10/2020, 10:06 PM
When the euro 88 came in Argentina, I remembered clearly they call it in Germany origin broadcasting as ÈIRE for Argentina and Uruguay.
Our broadcasters translated it as "Irlanda del Sur" o "La República de Irlanda", but the word "Eire". in Spain, Italy and Southamérica, "EIRE" makes a reference to ireland free State a catholic country, and Irlanda del Norte is the irish segment of land under the empire guidance.

And for some ignorants when you say Celtic F.C they think the club is located in Ireland

Some spanish speaking ignorants think Celtic F.Cis in an irish club in Ireland. There is a colorful anecdote from Messi the first time he played against Celtic he thought he was travelling to Ireland, and was shocked when he realized he was going to Scotland.

Bielsa´s irish
17/10/2020, 8:43 PM
greece may have arranged a friendly with cyprus yesterday

tetsujin1979
17/10/2020, 11:28 PM
Good, then you can provide evidence of this.

pineapple stu
18/10/2020, 7:38 AM
If you Google "Greece Cyprus football", the calendar will tell you it's set for the 11th

sadloserkid
19/10/2020, 3:00 PM
You are shooting to much from the hip lately. Very scatter gun.

I have a small niece who often acts in an elaborately over the top fashion when she feels that she's not getting the attention she craves. As she's a small child I don't give it much thought and I'd imagine she'll grow out of it.

Of course, this is just a random observation.

Bielsa´s irish
19/10/2020, 7:15 PM
I have a small niece who often acts in an elaborately over the top fashion when she feels that she's not getting the attention she craves. As she's a small child I don't give it much thought and I'd imagine she'll grow out of it.

Of course, this is just a random observation.

Impressive!!
you made Pierre Bourdieu, Phillipe Meirieu and Michel Foucault sound like scholar alumni.

back to football.

vs England? or at aviva?

tetsujin1979
19/10/2020, 7:25 PM
No, and still no

seanfhear
19/10/2020, 8:48 PM
No, and still no
No Way José !

nigel-harps1954
20/10/2020, 9:57 PM
Some spanish speaking ignorants think Celtic F.Cis in an irish club in Ireland. There is a colorful anecdote from Messi the first time he played against Celtic he thought he was travelling to Ireland, and was shocked when he realized he was going to Scotland.

I'm getting really confused at you replying to yourself now.