PDA

View Full Version : Israel Coach set to drop Awat after his performance

Jogga
08/06/2005, 9:14 PM
Hi Irish fans, I don't know if it was already post but I'm sure that will confort you :

Israel coach Avraham Grant is set to drop goalkeeper Dudu Awat after his erratic performance in Saturday night's 2-2 draw with Ireland in Dublin. Maccabi Haifa's Nir Davidovich is favored to regain his first choice spot for Israel's next World Cup qualifier against Switzerland in December. Davidovich missed much of last season due to injury, but was outstanding in Israel's training camp in England before the qualifier in Dublin.

Although Awat blocked at least two certain goals on Saturday, the Racing Santander man's performance was criticized by Israel's professional staff. "Awat lacks confidence. He looks like Goliath between the posts, but he isn't capable of taking the ball. Every high ball threatens a goal. Luckily for him [against Ireland], the ball kept hitting him and didn't go into the net. Otherwise, instead of dreaming of the World Cup finals, we would have been heading back in shame to Israel. He'll ruin the campaign for us in the end," a source on the staff said.

Awat's teammates aren't happy with his performance, either. "When Davidovich is in goal, we are a lot more confident. Awat may play his game in Spain, but his mistakes are colossal. We never know what he's up to. In Ireland's first goal, he should have come out to take the ball off Robbie Keane, and not let the striker get a clean shot," one of Israel defenders said.

When Awat injured his elbow in training ahead of the Ireland game, Grant considered replacing him with Davidovich, but decided not to make a drastic last-minute change to the squad.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/585123.html

FarBeag
08/06/2005, 9:18 PM
Good Riddens but i would rather he did'nt seeing that he may be capable of the same antics against the Swiss,Oh s*ite maybe i should not have said that.

Adrianovic
08/06/2005, 9:35 PM
"He'll ruin the campaign for us in the end,"

I tell you what, they don't pull their punches when talking about their fellow teammates and professionals.

You can't imagine Hughton coming out and saying "X can't really defend at all, and we only picked him because Y is even worse. Z is back now, so its all OK."

Ade