PDA

View Full Version : Best live act

superfrank
08/06/2005, 11:32 AM
Whats the bess live performance you seen? ;)

I remember the best one I saw was when I was in Toronto round this time last year. If you're familiar with the city it was in that big outdoor stage in the harbour where they have the market and the boats to the islands.

Anyway thery had some sort of world music festival on at the time, no Irish groups though, and there was this group from Pakistan called Rizwan-Muazzam Qawalli. They were a class act. All their songs were bout 10-12 minutes long but it was so energetic and intense for bout an hour an a half at half eleven at night. It was really unbelievable! :D

Roo69
08/06/2005, 11:56 AM
Best live preformance "show" wise was The Rolling Stones @ Wembley in 97, for pure Music it would have to be B.B King in 98 @ the point, both shows were just mind blowing !

anto1208
08/06/2005, 12:52 PM
1:Babyshambles
2: pixies
3:damian Dempsey
4:bob Dylan

ken foree
08/06/2005, 1:56 PM
Anyway thery had some sort of world music festival on at the time, no Irish groups though, and there was this group from Pakistan called Rizwan-Muazzam Qawalli. They were a class act. All their songs were bout 10-12 minutes long but it was so energetic and intense for bout an hour an a half at half eleven at night. It was really unbelievable! :D

sounds amazing. animal collective were great when i saw them. there's a new england group called sunburned hand of the man that you might like superfrank. they have a noisy and meandering brand of psychy folk/funk. sorta ramshackle but always with good momentum, strange echoey vocals from the void, etc.

superfrank
08/06/2005, 3:49 PM
sounds amazing. animal collective were great when i saw them. there's a new england group called sunburned hand of the man that you might like superfrank. they have a noisy and meandering brand of psychy folk/funk. sorta ramshackle but always with good momentum, strange echoey vocals from the void, etc.
Sounds good. Where could I get their stuff? :cool:

Anto McC
08/06/2005, 6:00 PM
1.Bruce Springsteen
2.Bob Dylan
3.David Gray

Thomo
08/06/2005, 8:44 PM
in no particular order:

metallica
dj format and abdominal
offspring
jurassic 5
placebo
bloc party

Closed Account 2
08/06/2005, 10:42 PM
1.Bruce Springsteen
2.Bob Dylan
3.David Gray

Great post, hard to look beyond the Boss!! Living legend of Music.

Guns n Roses could be good too, but depended on the mood of Axl. Bryan Adams, would get my vote too (though watch out, there is some spoof guy out called Ryan Adams - think he is a tribute, like "No way sis - Oasis" etc someone brought me a Ryan Adams CD - didnt recognise any of the covers and the style seemed a bit different, took it back and swapped it for a Whitesnake album another good live act)... and of course Rod Stewart would be world class if you could get him to go back to his early 80s style. Maybe Phill Collins too.

Dire Straits used to be great live, Knopffler is now doing a solo tour, anyone been ? Is it any good ?

hamish
08/06/2005, 11:58 PM
Rory Gallagher in Leisureland, Galway in 1978 abd Bob Seger in Wembley Arena in November 1980.

fosterdollar
09/06/2005, 8:37 AM
I thought Ryan Adams was a totally different act with a different style, and not some tribute. Just has a similar name.

I have a sneaking suspicion edmundo was being a little sarcastic.

fosterdollar
09/06/2005, 8:44 AM
yeah, right.

Anto McC
09/06/2005, 4:53 PM
Dire Straits used to be great live, Knopffler is now doing a solo tour, anyone been ? Is it any good ?

I went to the Knopfler gig and it was fantasic,done a lot of Dire Straits stuff and in piticular a 9 min long version of the sultans of swing,pure class

Anto McC
09/06/2005, 5:10 PM
Heard he had a tendency to go on very long guitar solos in concerts.

That's the best part about the his show and if thats your reaction it's a good thing you didn't go to the Eric Clapton concert last year,you'd have hung yourself while i was in eternal bliss.

Anto McC
09/06/2005, 5:28 PM
I'm a sucker for drum solos though. Dunno about Clapton, but wouldn't have moinded a ticket for Cream in London lately. Now they were a group...

And what a group they were.

Have the Led Zep dvd were Bohnam does a 15 minute drum solo,a bit long but what skill the man had

Gerrit
09/06/2005, 6:54 PM
My favourites Placebo and Bunnymen are always brilliant live, though due to several reasons my best live experience was... (okay, go ahead and have a laugh) Reverend Marilyn Manson, live in Leuven (BE) in 2003. Saw the man three times that year + three times Placebo + once Bunnymen and once McCulloch solo. It was a good year :cool:

fosterdollar
10/06/2005, 7:44 AM
I'm a sucker for drum solos though. Dunno about Clapton, but wouldn't have moinded a ticket for Cream in London lately. Now they were a group...

What about Rory Gallagher's Bullfrog Blues live? I have a video of him and the band playing Cork Opera House and the solo for that was cracking. It wasn't O'Neill on drums though - think he was ill and someone else was standing in. Tough job.

Anto McC
10/06/2005, 12:55 PM
What about Rory Gallagher's Bullfrog Blues live? I have a video of him and the band playing Cork Opera House and the solo for that was cracking. It wasn't O'Neill on drums though - think he was ill and someone else was standing in. Tough job.

Very tough Job,O'Neill was class

Drumcondra Red
10/06/2005, 2:22 PM
In no particular order:

Rolling Stones
Kings of Leon
Gary Moore
The Verve
Paul Weller

Honourable mentions go to Ocean Colour Scene, always a good gig, and believe it or not N.E.R.D.!!!

ken foree
10/06/2005, 2:51 PM
Sounds good. Where could I get their stuff? :cool:

hm i think hmv.uk have a couple of things from them, at least 'rare wood' (which is a sort've pirate album!) and 'the trickle down theory of lord knows what' -both good but not as good as their earlier 'jaybird' or i believe 'headdress' albums -you might have to scour a few good indie shops for them. or import.

Lionel Ritchie
11/06/2005, 6:27 PM
1 Bowie
2 Billy Bragg
3 Alabama 3

Flea
12/06/2005, 10:54 AM
though watch out, there is some spoof guy out called Ryan Adams

:eek: Is this a **** take?

Anyways,
best concerts:

1. Bob Dylan
2. Bob Dylan
3. Velvet Revolver

I heard that the Mars Volta were great though

CollegeTillIDie
12/06/2005, 2:16 PM
Best gigs I've attended in order

Gary Numan Wembley Arena 1981
Roxy Music RDS Main Hall 1982
Gary Numan Vicar Street 2001
Roxy Music The Point 2001
Queen RDS 1984
Foreigner RDS Simmonscourt 1985
Simple Minds SFX Hall 1982 (before they went crap)
ABC SFX Hall 1982

tonycuna
12/06/2005, 2:46 PM

I've been on friday night @ the MK solo tour, in Milan.

It was my fav live, maybe not for the energy, but for the feelings that I felt, shivers over me many times, a lot of emotions.
He played songs from his solo works, and songs from Dire Straits career. For me that was the best two music hours in my life :rolleyes: :)