PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Wales - Sunday, 11th October 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DeLorean
01/10/2020, 9:21 AM
Bale out, Ramsey returns - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/gareth-bale-left-out-of-wales-squad-for-nations-league-clash-with-ireland-39576647.html

https://www.faw.cymru/files/5516/0147/6287/Twitter_Squad_Anno.jpg

Eirambler
01/10/2020, 9:28 AM
They really do have a very average squad aside from the few big name players. Just shows what a difference having even just a couple of absolute top level players can make at international level in that they've qualified for two successive Euros and made the semi final in 2016 with that squad.

I think it's something like 17 v 5 in terms of our Premier League players so far this season compared to theirs but they'll still be favourites over the two games against us.

youngirish
01/10/2020, 11:36 AM
They really do have a very average squad aside from the few big name players. Just shows what a difference having even just a couple of absolute top level players can make at international level in that they've qualified for two successive Euros and made the semi final in 2016 with that squad.

I think it's something like 17 v 5 in terms of our Premier League players so far this season compared to theirs but they'll still be favourites over the two games against us.

They have a couple of other players playing in top European leagues though.

Trequartista20
01/10/2020, 1:59 PM
Wales's squad makes interesting reading. Bale and Lockyer (Luton) aside, that's their strongest available selection. The biggest thing I take from the way Wales go about things is their willingness to give their young players a chance, even if it's at the expense of 'proven' older heads.

No James Chester, Neil Taylor or Ashley Williams.

But he has involved inexperienced young players like Johnson, Levitt, Norrington-Davies, Woodburn etc, who have very limited first-team experience.

Morrell, for example, has become a relatively regular feature in their side off the back of a loan spell at Lincoln, despite hardly having played for parent-club Bristol City. Levitt has been a regular in their squad for about a year despite making only one senior appearance for United in a Europa League dead-rubber against Astana. He's now on loan at League One Charlton.

And yet it doesn't appear to have done the Welsh any harm - indeed they've thriven. There's probably a lot we can learn from this approach, and it has been a long term strategy going back to Toshack's time.

I keep hearing that Obafemi, Smallbone, Parrot, Dunne, and so on, 'aren't ready'. Wales wouldn't blink.

And what has our far more conservative attitude brought us exactly ?

Grafter
07/10/2020, 1:52 PM
The Wales match is live (in Welsh) on S4C for those without Sky.

Fixer82
08/10/2020, 11:25 AM
And for those without S4C?

geysir
08/10/2020, 1:10 PM
And for those without S4C?

They can watch something else.

Stuttgart88
08/10/2020, 1:30 PM
And for those without S4C?It's on SKY

Fixer82
08/10/2020, 1:33 PM
It's on SKY

Ha ha thanks a million. Usually I’d go to the pub to watch games on Sky. I guess that’s out of the picture right now

Fixer82
08/10/2020, 1:33 PM
They can watch something else.

😂😂😂 😉 😉

CraftyToePoke
08/10/2020, 2:09 PM
Ha ha thanks a million. Usually I’d go to the pub to watch games on Sky. I guess that’s out of the picture right now

NowTV SkySports day pass is a tenner with a weeks pass which will cover all three games fifteen quid. Might be a UK only thing, don't know.

passinginterest
08/10/2020, 3:09 PM
NowTV SkySports day pass is a tenner with a weeks pass which will cover all three games fifteen quid. Might be a UK only thing, don't know.

Month pass is €15 at the moment. I availed of it myself.

backstothewall
09/10/2020, 10:42 AM
Are we lower to make changes to the squad for this game?

paul_oshea
09/10/2020, 11:30 AM
Getting quite worried about this one now, little interest generally(not me), players who are going to be down too, but we have to win, another scoreless draw or worse a defeat and things are going to start changing quickly for Kenny.

I don't want to see anymore experimenting, we should have a fairly settled 11 now(bar the enforced absences of coleman and lesser connolly). And no more talk of performances. Results matters, that's what we now need.

elatedscum
09/10/2020, 12:09 PM
Getting quite worried about this one now, little interest generally(not me), players who are going to be down too, but we have to win, another scoreless draw or worse a defeat and things are going to start changing quickly for Kenny.

I don't want to see anymore experimenting, we should have a fairly settled 11 now(bar the enforced absences of coleman and lesser connolly). And no more talk of performances. Results matters, that's what we now need.

Thursday - Sunday after 120 mins played, there’ll be wholesale changes. It’s inevitable and unavoidable... Hendrick, Hourihane and McGoldrick look the obvious candidates who would struggle with such a quick turnaround. McCarthy and Doherty might both have injuries.

My guess is:

Randolph

Doherty/Christie
Duffy
Egan
Stevens

Cullen
Molumby

O’Dowda
Browne
McClean

Robinson

irishfan86
09/10/2020, 1:25 PM
Connolly and Idah out for the two Nations League matches. Expected I suppose. Gotta feel for the players and really not ideal for Kenny as I know he sees these guys as key to what he wants to build.

elatedscum
09/10/2020, 2:00 PM
Horgan and Maguire called up

Real ale Madrid
09/10/2020, 2:22 PM
We still have a shout of making it into Pot 2 for the World Cup Qualifiers so these 4 Nations league games are still important.

We currently have a 33% chance of making it into Pot 2 - more likely to be in Pot 3 - but a win Sunday and more of the same footballing wise would be a boost.

http://www.football-rankings.info/2020/09/uefa-nations-league-2020-simulations.html

backstothewall
09/10/2020, 3:22 PM

Oh ffs. Nothing more than jobs for the LoI boys. This is a chance to experiment and it's being wasted.

Trequartista20
09/10/2020, 3:42 PM

What a joke.

paul_oshea
09/10/2020, 3:52 PM
I think hes effectively put out the other lads to pasture now, and is relying on the young lads coming through. He clearly didnt really want Mcclean but robbie wasnt fit enough to go the full length. Long gets on at 112 mins. Probably our only proper striker on the bench....hes gambling here, and hes doing it very early.

geysir
09/10/2020, 4:20 PM
We still have a shout of making it into Pot 2 for the World Cup Qualifiers so these 4 Nations league games are still important.

We currently have a 33% chance of making it into Pot 2 - more likely to be in Pot 3 - but a win Sunday and more of the same footballing wise would be a boost.

http://www.football-rankings.info/2020/09/uefa-nations-league-2020-simulations.html

It matters, but in reality if we are in pot 2 we'll more than likely get the stinker from pot 3.
But if we're in pot 3, the Gods may look down kindly upon our disposition and give us the gift from pot 2.

Regardless, no matter what transpires in the draw, qualification for WC2022 will be seriously difficult. The format as configured by Uefa, is designed to cut out the riff raff like us

Razors left peg
09/10/2020, 5:15 PM

Id say in other circumstances he would have called up couple lads from the 21s but he doesn't want to disrupt their game with Italy next week. Usually I'd say senior team takes priority but the 21s game is massive so I understand it this time

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2020, 1:59 AM
Maguire was also ahead of the U21 lads for last month's squad so it's hardly surprising. Horgan, I haven't seen him in the Championship, but I'm surprised he's in.

And if anybody knew Kenny's history with Maguire they wouldn't think he was calling him up to do him a favour.

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 4:12 AM
the french sport news and spanish sport news are mocking over the connolly situation, for 0,10cms. Since people from Ireland banned connolly and idah

it looks like a joke

elatedscum
10/10/2020, 4:33 AM
Maguire was also ahead of the U21 lads for last month's squad so it's hardly surprising. Horgan, I haven't seen him in the Championship, but I'm surprised he's in.

And if anybody knew Kenny's history with Maguire they wouldn't think he was calling him up to do him a favour.

Saw Horgan play one game for Walsall, his debut, and he was really really good. Scored and did really good things.

He was a mile away from the squad at Hibs but if you’re a winger playing well in the championship then you’re rightfully in contention. I guess it was a choice between him, Curtis, Harness and Michael Duffy.

The only wingers with the 21s are Elbouzedi and Farrugia, who are both miles away...

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2020, 4:59 AM
Saw Horgan play one game for Walsall, his debut, and he was really really good. Scored and did really good things.

He was a mile away from the squad at Hibs but if you’re a winger playing well in the championship then you’re rightfully in contention. I guess it was a choice between him, Curtis, Harness and Michael Duffy.

The only wingers with the 21s are Elbouzedi and Farrugia, who are both miles away...
Yeah, Curtis was the one who I thought might have had a chance. To be fair, Kenny got the best out of Horgan and had him called up to MON's squad so he clearly knows what he can do. Would be similar to O'Dowda in the way he plays, and we know SK likes him.

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2020, 5:00 AM
the french sport news and spanish sport news are mocking over the connolly situation, for 0,10cms. Since people from Ireland banned connolly and idah

it looks like a joke
I don't think being overcautious should be mocked, really. It's not good for our performance as a team but consistency at a national level will save lives, we hope.

Real ale Madrid
10/10/2020, 10:46 AM
The Spanish are mocking us over Covid? Bit ironic that isn't it?

Fixer82
10/10/2020, 10:50 AM
It does seem a bit over the top but then we are living in a very strange time.

geysir
10/10/2020, 12:03 PM
I would have thought that a FAI blazer was an outsider and should never have been let near the footballers. A blazer putting a pin into the player's bubble. Not to mention, he was coming from an infected workplace, not just an ordinary virus detection but an FAI enhanced virus detection.

seanfhear
10/10/2020, 12:55 PM
I would have thought that a FAI blazer was an outsider and should never have been let near the footballers. A blazer putting a pin into the player's bubble. Not to mention, he was coming from an infected workplace, not just an ordinary virus detection but an FAI enhanced virus detection.
If it was someone that had no need to be near the players then the Public should know. God knows we have had enough JacK-Ass-ery from the FAI down through the years.

Was this another Jack Ass doing the Dumbass again ?

eekers
10/10/2020, 4:29 PM

The guy was a staff member, who was previously with the u21s, that was on the plane replacing one of staff members who had tested positive previously.

When they say non football staff member. That just means he's isn't a coach. Not that he is a blazer.

It's 2020, there was a plane full of physios, chefs, opposition analysts etc. Not FAI board member there for a trip.

eekers
10/10/2020, 5:20 PM
https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1314957884321660930

McGoldrick out with an abductor injury.

geysir
10/10/2020, 5:30 PM
The guy was a staff member, who was previously with the u21s, that was on the plane replacing one of staff members who had tested positive previously.

When they say non football staff member. That just means he's isn't a coach. Not that he is a blazer.

It's 2020, there was a plane full of physios, chefs, opposition analysts etc. Not FAI board member there for a trip.

Okay so, more than one account had labelled him an executive.

da bishop
10/10/2020, 5:50 PM

Not to be picky here but thought it was Wycombe,no?In fairness to Horgan he had his moments with Hibs ,agree that being now in Englands tier two will make a difference for him.

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 5:52 PM
what happened was a farce, i understand why connolly is so upset, as any football man and woman in Ireland, just cover those 10cms, this is like a comedy movie, full of sarcasm. Ireland needed a guy like Robert De Niro in wag the dog, to cover up things.

Let me tell you, football suits and goverment suits from Spain, England, Germany, Brazil would have covered things up to allowed their main young forward, to make a difference. What did mr Higgins do about it?

Just a phonec call well placed, and fake an injury for the home game. MON, Ancelotti, Mou, any football sense would have acted better. Kenny is so green and naive.

Trequartista20
10/10/2020, 5:55 PM
https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1314957884321660930

McGoldrick out with an abductor injury.

We should have paid his captors more promptly

Razors left peg
10/10/2020, 6:03 PM
I understand that the u21s have important game but with McGoldrick out Obafemi should get called up. Seniors are more important at this stage

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 6:05 PM
The same. we ve got to try out a lot of strikers obafemi, sheridan, collins, hogan and parrott. we must have options up front.

nigel-harps1954
10/10/2020, 8:01 PM
Call up Cillian Sheridan. He is the answer to all problems. Is he even playing at the minute?

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 9:01 PM
Call up Cillian Sheridan. He is the answer to all problems. Is he even playing at the minute?

Yeah, i mean, the more the merrier, doesnt matter their current club, it is important for them to play at a competitive level, yes and give options.

we must try forwards now, at 30 Sheridan is ready

if we keep on playing mcgoldrick as false 9 we will never score a single goal from open play

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 9:10 PM
players to improve the team that i would have in the squad taking out injured and uneligibles:

Sean McDermott
Jimmy Dunne
Ryan Manning
Connor Ronan
Graham Carey
Cillian Sheridan

Olé Olé
10/10/2020, 10:04 PM
Who is centre forward tomorrow? Robinson or Long?

Razors left peg
10/10/2020, 10:31 PM
Who is centre forward tomorrow? Robinson or Long?
Id go with Robinson. We at least might learn something.

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 11:29 PM
from what i read

randolph

doherty duffy egan stevens

hendrick cullen/molumby hourihane

odowda long robinson

geysir
10/10/2020, 11:31 PM
It's probably time to say farewell to Arter and McCarthy just on the basis of their injury susceptibility and any football 'quality time' they have left should be reserved for their clubs.
Anyway, we can't depend upon their availability due to the sporadic nature of their fitness. I think that would probably leave Hendrick as the de facto holding type midfielder, I think he's better operating within a framework for Ireland, getting forward on occasion, rather than operate all over the place.

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 11:41 PM
It's probably time to say farewell to Arter and McCarthy just on the basis of their injury susceptibility and any football 'quality time' they have left should be reserved for their clubs.
Anyway, we can't depend upon their availability due to the sporadic nature of their fitness. I think that would probably leave Hendrick as the de facto holding type midfielder, I think he's better operating within a framework for Ireland, getting forward on occasion, rather than operate all over the place.

I agree with that , but Hourihane was better than Hendrick. Cullen or Molumby are gonna start. James McCarthy was playing really well until his heavy nasty knock from Hamsik.

I can see Hendrick as a holding in the near future. we need strikers now and a bit of spark in midfield

CraftyToePoke
11/10/2020, 12:01 AM
players to improve the team that i would have in the squad taking out injured and uneligibles:

Sean McDermott
Jimmy Dunne
Ryan Manning
Connor Ronan
Graham Carey
Cillian Sheridan

What about Will Keane, Bielsa ? Would you see any kind of a future in him ? Just signed a short term at Wigan, could we knock a tune out of him do you think ?

Bielsa´s irish
11/10/2020, 12:02 AM
some slovakians attackers with covid is the hse gonna forbid some irish players who marked those guys from playing tomorrow?

mihalik is one of them and if i dont remember well was marked by docherty, robinson and hendrick...in that area of the pitch

what are the late news about it?