PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Wales - Sunday, 11th October 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Bielsa´s irish
10/10/2020, 11:09 PM
What about Will Keane, Bielsa ? Would you see any kind of a future in him ? Just signed a short term at Wigan, could we knock a tune out of him do you think ?

im serious about it

these six can bring something different at what we already have plus some player depth.
Sean McDermott
Jimmy Dunne
Ryan Manning
Connor Ronan
Graham Carey
Cillian Sheridan

will keane is over.

Charlie Darwin
11/10/2020, 1:32 AM
Connor Ronan has played 45 minutes of football in seven months. I'd at least give him another 45 before promoting him to the senior squad.

elatedscum
11/10/2020, 2:40 AM
Who is centre forward tomorrow? Robinson or Long?

I’d suspect he’ll play Robinson in the centre and Brady or O’Dowda out wide right.

You really could go any way, a lot of versatility in those positions:

Robinson is better wide left where he can cut onto his stronger foot, or centrally than on the right, but he’s more likely to get a game for Ireland on the right in the medium term...

Think I’d go for:

Randolph

Doherty/Christie (is Doc fit?)
Egan
Duffy
Stevens

Cullen
Molumby
Browne

Robinson
McClean

Long

Midfield changes due to the assumption that McCarthy is injured and Hendrick and Hourihane will be knackered after Thursday. It’s a really tight turnaround. Basically 60 hours between games. And 120 mins rather than 90...

Really don’t feel strongly about McClean v Brady v O’Dowda for the left. McClean is the only one I’d feel confident is fully fit, so I’m going for him.

I think their centre halves could be vulnerable to Shane Long’s pressing, as long as we don’t get outplayed in the midfield

Bielsa´s irish
11/10/2020, 3:24 AM
dont see many changes, only up front, or for injury

zero
11/10/2020, 10:17 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40062803.html

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 10:22 AM
Ah jaysus.

Is it time for us all to dig our boots out?

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 10:34 AM
All 4 of those could have started. The actual positive player didn't play Thursday apparently.

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 10:41 AM
Egan, O'Dowda, Browne and Robinson all ruled out. Actual positive player not named.

seanfhear
11/10/2020, 10:44 AM
A shambles from the FAI as Usual !

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 10:47 AM
In fairness, while blaming the FAI is usually a good default, you'd need to know a lot more here to blame them. We're not the first side who've fallen foul of this thing. It's a ******* of a disease.

seanfhear
11/10/2020, 10:52 AM
In fairness, while blaming the FAI is usually a good default, you'd need to know a lot more here to blame them. We're not the first side who've fallen foul of this thing. It's a ******* of a disease.
Non playing staff should not have been near the players on the plane and only for the bare minimum at any time.

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 10:55 AM
That's got nothing to do with the Wales game though?

Closed Account
11/10/2020, 11:04 AM
Non playing staff should not have been near the players on the plane and only for the bare minimum at any time.So should the staff members have moved seats after Idah and Connolly sat behind them instead of sitting in there own seats?

geysir
11/10/2020, 11:08 AM
Down to 13 players -- Jack Byrne probably still won't start.

backstothewall
11/10/2020, 11:09 AM
Game should be called off. There's obviously been an outbreak in our squad. The risk of passing it on to the Welsh lads is obvious.

If I was a club manager I'd be on the phone ordering them back and to hell with FIFA and their international release rules. The clubs pay the wages at the end of the day.

seanfhear
11/10/2020, 11:10 AM
So should the staff members have moved seats after Idah and Connolly sat behind them instead of sitting in there own seats?
How about somebody had spoke up and told players to stay in the seats assigned to them.

Closed Account
11/10/2020, 11:13 AM
How about somebody had spoke up and told players to stay in the seats assigned to them.that should have happened. So the players/adults on a flight should have sat where they were supposed to, the flight attendants should have asked them to sit where they were supposed to, but you started by saying that non playing member of fai on a flight is at fault for sitting where he was allocated?

elatedscum
11/10/2020, 11:26 AM
There was still a one row break between. Might have been unintentional. Kenny said he was unaware cause he was at the front of the blame.

In fairness, if the back room staff were worried about being close contacts, then they may have all been sticking to their seats, keeping distance, etc etc.

elatedscum
11/10/2020, 11:28 AM
So it’s one of:

Travers, Kelleher, Williams, K Long, Molumby, Byrne, Christie... Cullen already had it, so can’t be him

Randolph

Doherty
Duffy
A
Stevens

McCarthy (if fit) / B
Hourihane
Hendrick

Brady
McClean

S Long...

A - Williams was the first call up, so he might be first choice, unless he’s the Covid case.

B - McCarthy due to have a fitness test before the game. If he doesn’t pass, I imagine Molumby comes in and Hourihane moves deeper, unless he’s the Covid case. Then I guess it’s Cullen or Byrne

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 11:30 AM
What's the best for a stream for this btw?

backstothewall
11/10/2020, 11:57 AM
Ireland team to play Wales: Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, K. Long, Stevens, Hourihane, Hendrick, Molumby, McClean, S. Long, Brady.

Williams not on the bench so presumably he's the one who tested positive.

zero
11/10/2020, 12:02 PM
All 11 born on the island of Ireland if I'm not mistaken. Not that that matters, just a curiosity.

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 12:07 PM
Could be significant in a way though. When did that last happen? I seem to remember a few years back that it hadn't happened since the late 70s.

geysir
11/10/2020, 12:29 PM
Can't beat the - not only born in Ireland but also all (except one) were with LOI clubs -- v Austria 1971

The result is immaterial :)

paul_oshea
11/10/2020, 12:32 PM
A consistent lineup as much as possible(which is what I asked for ) but I want to see us use the speed we have with this team. McClean has speed. Use it. He's nothing else. Use our assets. Long has pace. Use it. We've an opportunity to set out an alternative plan to trying to carve out intricate passing moves and score from the 6 yard box. It hasn't worked this far so might as well have something else in the locker. Let's see how we go with an old school approach but with the passing and possession based football we've seen over the last 2 games. Generally happy assuming he uses our assets as I've outlined above.

elatedscum
11/10/2020, 12:35 PM
If there’s an injury at centre half, is Christie the backup?

paul_oshea
11/10/2020, 12:49 PM
Keith andrews

eekers
11/10/2020, 12:50 PM
So the close contacts are from the flight home!
Still no 2 metres after what happened.
Absolute disgrace.

paul_oshea
11/10/2020, 12:52 PM
Sure it's ridiculous the lads are in each others faces in training. It's clearly redefining how the spread of the disease occurs

Razors left peg
11/10/2020, 1:10 PM
I don't understand this close contact crap any more. In the States the players on professional teams and College Football teams are all tested on a daily basis. If u test negative u play. They are all in close contact in training and match

tetsujin1979
11/10/2020, 1:18 PM
All 11 born on the island of Ireland if I'm not mistaken. Not that that matters, just a curiosity.
1975 V Turkey - Paddy Roche, Eoin Hand, Paddy Mulligan, Jimmy Holmes, Tony Dunne, Mick Martin, Liam Brady, John Giles, Don Givens, Ray Treacy, Steve Heighway
Ireland won 4-0

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 1:22 PM
Watching the first 15 minutes and my immediate reaction is that it's been fairly pedestrian. I note, however, that we have had about 67% possession from that 15 minutes. Our players are very capable of retaining possession and we have some nice footballers. We really need to figure out how we are going to create more chances to ensure that we score enough to win games.

Mick McCarthy is on commentary and is making plenty comments on how we are retaining possession, struggling to play through the lines and need to play direct or use crosses to create goals. Not sure if I fundamentally agree and I don't agree with how he's making the point but there's an argument there for figuring how we can penetrate opposition better.

I hope Byrne gets a look.

Colbert Report
11/10/2020, 1:22 PM
I don't understand this close contact crap any more. In the States the players on professional teams and College Football teams are all tested on a daily basis. If u test negative u play. They are all in close contact in training and match

And that's why the NFL is in serious danger of having their entire season called off. The NE Patriots have had another positive test today. You can test negative every day even if you have the virus and are contagious, and it may not show up on a positive test until long after you've infected other players.

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 1:24 PM
Nice interception there by Molumby. He's showing the full suite of his ability so far with simple passing, hunger to drive forward with the ball and a few nice defensive moments.

centre mid
11/10/2020, 1:25 PM
Shane Long finding it tough to get involved, really doesn't suit this setup. Ah jasus Christie coming on at CH.

pineapple stu
11/10/2020, 1:26 PM
Jaysus - now we need to make a sub...

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 1:27 PM
Shane Long finding it tough to get involved, really doesn't suit this setup. Ah jasus Christie coming on at CH.

Doherty gone centre half. Christie right back.

centre mid
11/10/2020, 1:28 PM
Doherty at CH?

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 1:29 PM
Doherty at CH?

Yes. He's left side centre half.

swinfordfc
11/10/2020, 1:30 PM
Hendrick passing is cruel ... Always giving the ball away .. awful for a premier league player!

Colbert Report
11/10/2020, 1:33 PM
TERRIBLE pass from Wilson there - what was he thinking? Schoolboy error. Why would you try to clear the ball through the middle? We should be up 1-0.

centre mid
11/10/2020, 1:35 PM
Thats a bad miss, great opportunity

Razors left peg
11/10/2020, 1:35 PM
And that's why the NFL is in serious danger of having their entire season called off. The NE Patriots have had another positive test today. You can test negative every day even if you have the virus and are contagious, and it may not show up on a positive test until long after you've infected other players.
There is zero chance of the season being called off. They will manage it just like baseball did

centre mid
11/10/2020, 1:48 PM
Been the better team first half, making some progress for sure. Game is a bit flat, bith sides really. Midfield better than Thursday night.

Such a shame Collolly and Idah arent available.

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 1:48 PM
Nice interception there by Molumby. He's showing the full suite of his ability so far with simple passing, hunger to drive forward with the ball and a few nice defensive moments.

He's been very good this first half overall, in defence and in attack. Reminds me so much of Roy Keane in his crisp passing, defensive awareness, hunger to win the ball and desire to drive forward.

tommy_c12000
11/10/2020, 1:49 PM
Promising half of football from Ireland. Molumby a driving force in the middle. Positive signs continue under Kenny’s reign. Good potential once the emerging attacking talent embed in the coming months

Olé Olé
11/10/2020, 1:51 PM
Been the better team first half, making some progress for sure. Game is a bit flat, bith sides really. Midfield better than Thursday night.

Such a shame Collolly and Idah arent available.

Yep, very difficult to know how we can create more chances. Bring Seani Maguire on and drop Brady to midfield? Bring Byrne on and get Hendrick out of that pocket between midfield and Long? Bringing on Cullen to play with Molumby may not make much difference. Daryl Horgan for McClean would deprive us of McClean's defensive work but maybe he's been too defensive.

Razors left peg
11/10/2020, 1:51 PM
Decent 1st half. You can really see the structure and style of play Kenny is trying to implement. I genuinely think this time next year we'll be a very good side. I have to ask though, what does Hourihane do. I watched him very closely in that 1st half and he should be central to everything in that type of passing game. Hes a completely empty shirt. Molumby is a far better player. I get that Hourihane looks classy when he strikes a dead ball but in the course of play he is awful

paul_oshea
11/10/2020, 1:54 PM
Game is lacking intensity, pace, creativity but more than anything stop this messing passing about the back four. Long balls up to long have worked out so far or fast to feet he's won us frees or laid off passes. None of this passing about the back to massage some possession based stats. Or make some people feel better because they need hope, hope keeps them going, the perpetual flame of hope. Our best opportunities or play have come from long balls. Long making some good runs. They looks t 6s and 7s when attacking centrally at speed on them. So use long. Gabbidon and Mick saying as I said no intensity happy to have it around the back and negating eachother. Possession for possession sake. Not playing to our strengths or players better attributes. General poor fare.
And everyone we get the ball in their half we seem to turn back or pass it around. 4 games in I thought we have looked to rectify that. MCG and Robinson did try the last day to be fair. And created our best chances off it.

At least previously we looked like scoring from set pieces we don't even have that now. Where are our goals going to come from it you won't play to our individual players stengths who are on the pitch?!

geysir
11/10/2020, 2:07 PM
I'm partial to beans and toast these days.