PDA

View Full Version : I'm Disgusted.

adamd164
07/06/2005, 7:59 PM
I know I won't be very popular for saying this but - IN A WAY - I was disgusted to see people smiling and cheering Kevin Doyle last night. Let me explain. Ollie Cahill left the club a number of seasons ago and got dog's abuse for doing so. Yes - he left for $hel$, but had his reasons (they were miles ahead of us at the time and he was virtually guaranteed silverware). At the end of the day, he left for a rival club at a higher level and was abused. Kevin Doyle did the same and got praise. Yes, yes, I know that Reading aren't in DIRECT competition with us, but we could draw them in European Competition, could we not??? It's the typical Irish attitude: a player leaves for an eL club, he's a judas, but a player leaves for a MIGHTY english club and he's just doing it for his career :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . The fact is; Kevin Doyle has been disloyal and abandoned us mid-season.

So I'm not gonna say good luck to him. I didn't to Ollie Cahill.

Rant over.

De Town
07/06/2005, 8:01 PM
Yes, yes, I know that Reading aren't in DIRECT competition with us, but we could draw them in European Competition, could we not???
Reading wont be playing in Europe unless they win the League Cup or FA Cup, and thats hardly going to happen :rolleyes:

adamd164
07/06/2005, 8:03 PM
Don't give me this "it'll never happen" sh*t. It COULD. My point is that they are a rival club - FACT!

De Town
07/06/2005, 8:05 PM
Don't give me this "it'll never happen" sh*t. It COULD. My point is that they are a rival club - FACT!
I will guarantee you now that Cork City will not play Reading in a competitive game within the next 3 years :)

adamd164
07/06/2005, 8:06 PM
you're missing the point. I'm merely pointing out that such a situation COULD occur (ie. making them a RIVAL club).

De Town
07/06/2005, 8:08 PM
you're missing the point. I'm merely pointing out that such a situation COULD occur (ie. making them a RIVAL club).
I know it COULD occur but its highly, highly, highly unlikely that such a situation will occur thus not making Reading a direct rival club.

Éanna
07/06/2005, 8:08 PM
I know I won't be very popular for saying this but - IN A WAY - I was disgusted to see people smiling and cheering Kevin Doyle last night. Let me explain. Ollie Cahill left the club a number of seasons ago and got dog's abuse for doing so. Yes - he left for $hel$, but had his reasons (they were miles ahead of us at the time and he was virtually guaranteed silverware). At the end of the day, he left for a rival club at a higher level and was abused. Kevin Doyle did the same and got praise. Yes, yes, I know that Reading aren't in DIRECT competition with us, but we could draw them in European Competition, could we not??? It's the typical Irish attitude: a player leaves for an eL club, he's a judas, but a player leaves for a MIGHTY english club and he's just doing it for his career :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . The fact is; Kevin Doyle has been disloyal and abandoned us mid-season.

Rant over.
I can understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't agree at all

adamd164
07/06/2005, 8:10 PM
I know it COULD occur but its highly, highly, highly unlikely that such a situation will occur thus not making Reading a direct rival club.

I don't seem to be getting through to you. Let's suppose it NEVER happens. They still are a rival club. Every club in the world is, as you could play any of them (even in a friendly...etc...).

De Town
07/06/2005, 8:12 PM
I don't seem to be getting through to you. Let's suppose it NEVER happens. They still are a rival club. Every club in the world is, as you could play any of them (even in a friendly...etc...).
I understand your point totally. I guess what I'm trying to say is what Éanna said. I know what your point is but I just dont agree with it.

btw, love your sig anti dub :D :p :D

adamd164
07/06/2005, 8:14 PM
yours ain't too bad either :p

De Town
07/06/2005, 8:15 PM
yours ain't too bad either :p
cheers. Theres no better feeling than beeting that judas bastárd :D *

*well, winning trophies is good aswell

A face
07/06/2005, 8:40 PM

I dunno ... there is different sentiment there now for Doyler, maybe because Doyler gave 100% nearly every game but Ollie played well when the planets were aligned correctly for him. Also Ollie when leaving got a few dig in at the fans and club in newspapers etc. (príck !!) Whereas Doyler has been a legend in fairness. And Doyler has done more for the club in his 2.5 years than Ollie ever did !!

The only thing i am gutted over is the part that the fat man played in it !!

Éanna
07/06/2005, 8:42 PM
I dunno ... there is different sentiment there now for Doyler, maybe because Doyler gave 100% nearly every game but Ollie played well when the planets were aligned correctly for him. Also Ollie when leaving got a few dig in at the fans and club in newspapers etc. (príck !!) Whereas Doyler has been a legend in fairness. And Doyler has done more for the club in his 2.5 years than Ollie ever did !!

The only thing i am gutted over is the part that the fat man played in it !!
Yeah, I'd agree with ya there. I was fed up of Ollie even before he left, the fact that he went to shels just made it worse.

adamd164
07/06/2005, 8:49 PM
I too am disgusted with fat pat's role in the whole thing.

Counting Crow
07/06/2005, 9:20 PM
Cahills critisism of us City fans (particularly The Shed) before he left burnt his bridges - he was NEVER gonna be accepted back with open arms after that.

Leaving for $hel$ is enough to be slated anyway ;) :D

Doyler was a different kettle of fish though. He clearly loved his time here in Paradise. He was very unassuming and was quiet simply the best player to have played for us (or any other club for that matter).

He is gone, however, so let's move on now.

kingcolers
08/06/2005, 8:34 AM
Ah, get real would ya. The boy has a chance to earn great money in a top league and go on to build a great career for himself. He'd be absolutely mad not to take his chance.

If you were offered two, three, four times your salary to go to a new job, with 10 times the career prospects and all that, I suppose you'd turn it down out of loyalty to the lads? Not a chance. Or maybe you'd wait until the end of the accounting year out of loyalty and hope the opportunity was still there for you? Get real. He's a professional and he's doing the professional thing. Best of luck to him.

patsh
08/06/2005, 8:49 AM
Ah, get real would ya. The boy has a chance to earn great money in a top league and go on to build a great career for himself. He'd be absolutely mad not to take his chance.
I'd agree with the rest of your post but Reading are in a "top league"???:eek:

kingcolers
08/06/2005, 9:01 AM
I'd agree with the rest of your post but Reading are in a "top league"???:eek:

Relatively speaking, yeah its a top league. Only one division away from one of the world's best...A great opportunity.

adamd164
08/06/2005, 9:21 AM
So what you're saying is the the Premiersh*t is the "world's best"??? Give me a break, I wouldn't put it in the top 3 FFS! :rolleyes:

Roo69
08/06/2005, 9:39 AM
So what you're saying is the the Premiersh*t is the "world's best"??? Give me a break, I wouldn't put it in the top 3 FFS! :rolleyes:

:confused:

It's defo on a par with Spain and Italy, what other league is better than them ? don't even think of saying France or Germany, that will just make you look silly !

Doyle was offered a FANTASTIC chance to further his career, which Cork (or any other Irish club) could NOT offer him. The standard of football is much higher, hence will hopefully make him a better player meaning a possible full international call up or regular place in the Irish squad etc..... Cork cannot offer that. The Cahill and Doyle transfers are quite different IMO.

As someone said, if you were offered the chance to further your career with a company in the same field as your present one but they are a much bigger outfit, more professional and very well organised, while at the same time (probably) quadrupling or even more your wages. Would you turn that down ?

Personally i wish the bloke all the best, i would wish EVERY single Irish young lad going to England/Scotland or where ever it may be all the best in there careers.

adamd164
08/06/2005, 9:46 AM
1) Italy
2) Spain
3) England.

Ok so it's 3rd but it defo ain't the best IMO

kingcolers
08/06/2005, 9:54 AM
1) Italy
2) Spain
3) England.

Ok so it's 3rd but it defo ain't the best IMO

I said "one of the world's best", you muppet. And you obviously agree with me by putting it in your top three.

adamd164
08/06/2005, 9:59 AM
Yes that's right. Resort to personal abuse to subsitute your lack of intelectual ability. :rolleyes:

kingcolers
08/06/2005, 10:42 AM
Well, at least i can read...

adamd164
08/06/2005, 10:51 AM
Hands up, I was wrong. I misread it cause I was browsing through the topic quickly. That doesn't make me a "muppet". :rolleyes:

kingcolers
08/06/2005, 10:56 AM
Apologies. I was annoyed at what i thought was an intentional misquote.

Dricky
09/06/2005, 11:31 AM

Rant over.

I would be in aggreement with your sentiment, he did jump ship mid season, didn't wait until July 1st and it was only done when Pat left. That is not his fault as such but he could always have said no. You must remember who his council is.... he no longer got on with Brian and wanted to hurt him, there to me lies the JUdas and I hope he chokes on the Silver he receives. had he won the league he would still be in a job......

shedite
09/06/2005, 12:34 PM
I know this argument has been done to death, but just to remind people.

YES, the eircom league is making huge progress - when I started supporting 7/8 years ago, nobody would have even argued for Doyle to stay in Ireland - but the league as a whole still is not up to scratch. I love being at games and the games and title race is generally a lot closer than "major" european leagues, but from a players perspective, playing the same 10 teams every year (besides the few who go up and down each season), in front of 3,000 fans on a good day (away) can't be much fun for long.

Reading - more money, more fans (avg 16,000 last season), more competition.

Also, for international prospects, having summer soccer is a b1tch, coz it means you have to stay training all year round.

As for the Ollie comparison, he left for Shels at a time when City were trying to catch them. And we got no money for him.

Gandhi
09/06/2005, 5:24 PM
The main gripe I have with the whole thing is a player worth AT LEAST €500,000 went for buttons. Good luck to him personally though. Reading have a decent chance of promotion next season, they did all right this season, and at the very least Doyle will have the chance to put himself in the shop window for even bigger clubs. Last but not least may we never be swindled like that again.

daveh
09/06/2005, 7:56 PM
Has there been any confirmation of the transfer fee?

In all the reports ive seen its been undisclosed,but why would they need to do that if everyone knew what the buy-out offer of €117,000 was?
Could we have got more money as an act of goodwill? :confused: :confused:

sullanefc
11/06/2005, 11:40 AM
Big difference in the two transfers IMO. Doyle is a much better player with huge potential and will get a full international cap in the next 2-3 years. Would he have got that at City?

colblimp
11/06/2005, 8:23 PM
What a ridiculous thread! :confused:

Doyler had to go. He's thinking of his future. Mark my words, he'll be playing in the Premiership sooner, rather than later.

As for Reading being in a top league...they'd wipe the floor with City, any day of the week! So would any Championship side, methinks. :D

adamd164
12/06/2005, 10:33 AM
So someone giving their honest, genuine opinion on something is classed by your almighty self as "ridiculas" merely becuase you disagree :confused:

kingcolers
13/06/2005, 12:50 PM
So someone giving their honest, genuine opinion on something is classed by your almighty self as "ridiculas" merely becuase you disagree :confused:

jaysus, you're far too sensitive to be using an internet messageboard. this is the second time you've been mortally offended on this thread over little trifles. why don't you go and have a lie-down for yourself?

adamd164
14/06/2005, 6:22 PM
:D :D :D

Xlex
14/06/2005, 9:43 PM
The biggest hope out of Doyles and to a lesser extent Murphy's move is that a higher percentage of players go through the system of being signed from schoolboy soccer to Eircom League soccer and on to a move to a bigger club in Europe.

It sickening to see so many players come back rejected after they come home industrialised and disillusioned from England. probably more Niall Byrnes out there then the Stephen Paisleys and Sean Dillons....
A change in attitudes is worth a fortune to the eL...