PDA

View Full Version : Another Kevin Doyle thread......

shedite
07/06/2005, 1:24 PM
So Robbie Keane is out for the match V Faroes. Being realistic, how far do people think Daryl Murphy or Kevin Doyle are from making the Irish squad?

If it were a game V Switzerland or Isreal I would say definately go with Doherty (he actually impresed me last sat for the first time), but it's not, we're playing Faroe Islands. To be honest, I think Cork City would beat the Faroe Islands.

This world cup group is amazingly close. We could end up with a situation where 4 teams will end up on 18 points. Goal difference is crucial. The Swiss already beat Faroes 6-0. Will Ireland do this? Hardly!

This is where I think Doyle would be handy. I might be a bit premature, but I think a striker who is on fire and trying to prove himself at a higher level would be more likely to keep trying to add goals. Doherty, Morisson, Reid, Elliott - no regular goal scorer there really.

So to the original question, how far down the pecking order do people think Doyle and Murphy are?

joeSoap
07/06/2005, 1:33 PM
This world cup group is amazingly close. We could end up with a situation where 4 teams will end up on 18 points. Goal difference is crucial. The Swiss already beat Faroes 6-0. Will Ireland do this? Hardly!
Its not as crucial as you make out. The record we have against other teams we are level on points with comes before goal difference. Having played Israel twice, and drawn with them twice, they would qualify ahead of us were we to finish on the same number of points at the end of the group, as they scored two away goals against us, compared to our one.It wouldn't matter if we had 20 goals more scored than them, its our record against them is what counts first.

pete
07/06/2005, 1:39 PM
Forward Options for Kerr:
1. Robbie Keane
2. Morrison

Others:
Elliot
Doherty
Lee

Midfielders moved up front
Duff
Reid
McGeady

Even more:
Jason Byrne
Glen Crowe
David Connolly
Kevin Doyle
Daryl Murphy

I would say Daryl Murphy could be 4th choice for big forward.
Doyle would be 6th behind converted midfilders.

Am I forgetting anyone else?

Éanna
07/06/2005, 2:52 PM
just heard on the radio that morrisson has picked up a knock and it doubtful. if kerr has any sense he'd call doyler up

patsh
07/06/2005, 2:56 PM
just heard on the radio that morrisson has picked up a knock and it doubtful. if kerr has any sense he'd call doyler up
Too late now.......

terry9
07/06/2005, 2:57 PM
in all fairness lads..hes good but not that good!

observer
07/06/2005, 3:07 PM
Whats that Shedite, Elliot not a goalscorer. What planet have you been on for the past 6 months? :confused:

shedite
07/06/2005, 4:39 PM
It's same planet - just the other side of it. Don't get much news about sunderland players over here ;)