PDA

View Full Version : Stevo Signs For Dundalk

wws
03/06/2001, 2:50 PM
DUNDALK LAND MC GUINNESS
3rd June

copyright Orielweb

http://www.angelfire.com/zine/pedros/indeximages/pfai_stevo.jpg

Dundalk manager Martin Murray has made his first signing of the Summer, ahead of the return to the Premier Division, when Stephen McGuinness signed for the Lilywhites. The St Pats captain is a fantastic capture, which boosts morale and increases the chances of the likes of Finn Harps duo Fergal Harkin, and Tom Mohan being attracted to the club. McGuinness won two League titles at Pats, and also the League Cup this season as Pats went on a good run after a bad start to the season, and ended up losing out in the shakeup for European places

In the prime of his career, McGuinness comes to Dundalk after going out of contract at Pats, and not being satisfied with the deal on offer from the Inchicore club, whose manager Pat Dolan confirmed only a few nights ago that a new offer had been made to McGuinness. That was not enough however, and McGuinness still decided to take on the new challenge at Dundalk, where he will immediately become an integral figure in the side, ahead of the season ahead. If this is a sign of what is to come over the Summer, then this is a very encouraging start as the preparations for Premier Division football begin.

The players resigned have all been given dietary programmes and a training regime for the Summer months, and weekends away are planned, with Arron Callaghan, and recently appointed Frank O'Neill acting as coaches. This is a professional step in the right direction, as the future looks bright for Dundalk Football Club

wws
04/06/2001, 2:26 PM
ORIELWEB HAVE SCANDALOUSLY PRINTED AN INCORRECT NEWS STORY ON STEVO! :eek: :eek: ;) [please this is a joke title!]

Story from Eircomleague.net:

Stephen McGuinness has hit back at reports that he has signed for Dundalk. "I am due to meet [Martin Murray] during the middle of this week but that is as far as things have gone," he said.
In an exclusive interview with eircom League Online, the 27-year-old defender claimed that he was still a St Patrick's Athletic player and that nothing had been decided about a move to Dundalk.

It had been reported that the move had been more or less completed, but Dundalk boss Martin Murray admitted yesterday that the "formalities have yet to be concluded", and the player himself was eager to stress this.

"All this talk is a little premature as I haven't yet signed for Dundalk. I have spoke to Martin but nothing has been signed sealed and delivered yet," said the Dubliner.

"I am due to meet him during the middle of this week but that is as far as things have gone. I don't know where people have got the idea that I have signed, as I promised Pat Dolan that I would speak to him first before I made any decision and as yet I haven't been able to contact him but I hope to today."

McGuinness spent four very enjoyable years at Richmond Park, where he won two League titles, and became one of the best defenders in the League.

It is no surprise, then, that he still wants to stay with St Pat's. But the former Home Farm defender admits that he feels very let down by the contract offered by the club.

"It's true that I was bitterly disappointed with the contract the club offered me," he confessed, "and that is the only reason that I have opened talks with other clubs.

"Pat explained the reasons why he offered the terms, which are slightly less than I am currently on, and I fully understand his position.

"But he also knows my stance and I hope he respects my decision as much as I respect his. This will be the biggest decision I have made as a footballer as my friends and family are all big Pat's supporters and have enjoyed the good and bad times.

"The biggest loss of the lot will be the Pat's supporters, who are second to none in this country - both home and away - and I hope the coming season brings them the success they deserve and the success they crave."

Daniel McD
04/06/2001, 8:22 PM
You're not ****in listening to what I was saying about our budgets. And don't be on about our gates dipping either, our average since Christmas has been around 1500, they've been increasing ...

And as I've been at eight or nine Pats home games this year, I can honestly say,there was never more than that either ..

I posted this to a Cork fan who reprinted what you wrote on the Dundalk thread

The deal within McGuinness is well within our budget, we are not on a strict budget, we have £100,000 to spend on the team this year for Gods sakes !!

I dunno where you got it from, but that is completely made up nonsense

McGuinness is unhappy the story has broke, because he hasn't talked to Dolan yet and doesn't want to upset him, but he has signed for us, if not on the dotted line, he has agreed to. That will prove true during the week. I heard it from two members of the board who both heard it from the chairman, the deal has happened.

You make 900 sound bad, but no team in Division One in recent years has had a higher average attendance, so that is complete garbage as well, trying to use it as a stick to beat the club up with as well.

wws
04/06/2001, 9:10 PM
"we have £100,000 to spend on the team this year for Gods sakes !! "

How much of that £100,000 will be spent on the package offered to McGuinness? That is the question that a lot of people are asking.

Daniel McD
04/06/2001, 10:59 PM
It was said that the budget would not be blown on one player ..

You seem very smug and suspicious about the whole thing ...

wws
04/06/2001, 11:33 PM
will you paste up a link to the figures when you get them? Or ask the financial controller who posts on Dundalk Talk. I'm just curious to see the money involved in the complete package (sign on fee and salary). Its hardly being smug, its an obvious question, especially seen as the player involved cannot give the full time committment of say the Bohs team or most of the Shels squad and a number of the Pats squad.

I think its an important point, don't you?

I'm not singling out Dundalk here, and I don't want to get into a big slagging match over Dundalk FC, cause there as good or as bad as any other club in the Prem its just their case is the most talked about in the league at present.